Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem (6314 Views)

Programmer With Proficiency In PHP & Html 5 Needed In Abuja / How Much Does A Programmer With My Skills Earn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 29, 2012
Good day all, I just started learning programming and PHCN is not helping at all with their epileptic power supply in my area. My laptop's battery doesn't last more than 3hrs. The lack of steady power supply is really pushing me to the edge but I don't want to get discouraged. Please can you suggest an alternative power supply that I can use and I don't mean gen set. There's this device that INEC officials used during the election- a rechargeable battery that lasts upto 6hrs. Does anyone know where I can get to buy it? Thanks all, as I await your response. Mod, please front page.
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 29, 2012

1 Like

Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 29, 2012
Its possible nobody knows about that device, why not just get a small generator since inverters are expensive or a UPS.
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by olyjosh(m): 2:26pm On Oct 29, 2012
Call it external battery.
It is been sold at most Laptop shops. You can always get one depending on where u are to find a store where you can get one.
Price ranges in my place base on quality but from N12000 upward sha and you can always get one that can last you for as long as 6,8, 10 and even 16 hours after been fully charged.

Usher says "if u wana scream Yeeeeeeeeeee, screeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!"
Get to work, cos programming is good.
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Booty4me: 3:03pm On Oct 29, 2012
Op connect your laptop to your street transformer.

8 Likes

Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by OkwaIfugo(m): 3:06pm On Oct 29, 2012
please buy a good AC capable Car battery.(costs 11k or there about)
and then your good to go.
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 29, 2012
Get a portable solar charger for laptops.

Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Afam4eva(m): 3:08pm On Oct 29, 2012
THis is the reason why i considered moving out of the country. You can't be at your best as a programmer if you keep worrying about electricity.
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by mrjangola(m): 3:11pm On Oct 29, 2012
Booty4me: Op connect your laptop to your street transformer.

if u hav notin sensible to say must u talk.
Mumu

2 Likes

Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Creatrixity(m): 3:12pm On Oct 29, 2012
#same here bro..but i still work without power anyway..i write most of my programs on paper(source code and all) and then debug and compile once power is restored..try it its kul!
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by idris4r83(m): 3:14pm On Oct 29, 2012
I sell inec batteries that can last a minimum of 12hrs when fully charged but am in kaduna. Call me on 08034694579 let's talk business
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 29, 2012
idris4r83: I sell inec batteries that can last a minimum of 12hrs when fully charged but am in kaduna. Call me on 08034694579 let's talk business
What if there is failure for three or more days?! Then it would be useless paying for such batteries!
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by CLIQBOY(m): 3:18pm On Oct 29, 2012
BUY GENERATOR
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by emmaoanidu(m): 3:20pm On Oct 29, 2012
Get a small inverter say about 900va and you will be good to go
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by ihebrooke(m): 3:22pm On Oct 29, 2012
You can get the Inec batteries for 7500. That's what its being sold for in Imo state.

You can purchase like three of it. You should device a means of having at least one of them charged each day.
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 29, 2012
ihebrooke: You can get the Inec batteries for 7500. That's what its being sold for in Imo state.

You can purchase like three of it. You should device a means of having at least one of them charged each day.
How is he going to be possible to charge them when there is no electricity for like three or more days?
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Kslib(m): 3:30pm On Oct 29, 2012
CLIQBOY: BUY GENERATOR
emmaoanidu: Get a small inverter say about 900va and you will be good to go
CLIQBOY: BUY GENERATOR
Haha!! But una don ask the op how much im laptop cost.. Because me i no fit pay transport of 1500 naira to go collect debt worth 200naira...
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by ihebrooke(m): 3:31pm On Oct 29, 2012
all4naija: How is he going to be possible to charge them when there is no electricity for like three or more days?

So if there is no PHCN light for three days, does it mean that there is no other source of electricity to charge it?
Generators nko?

This is what I use to power as many laptops as possible and one of them is always charged.
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 29, 2012
ihebrooke:

So if there is no PHCN light for three days, does it mean that there is no other source of electricity to charge it?
Generators nko?

This is what I use to power as many laptops as possible and one of them is always charged.
Probably you didn't read the OP comment. He said he can't afford generator. Now, how would it be possible to charge them when there is no electricity for three or more days?
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by TechRev: 3:35pm On Oct 29, 2012
I also faced this frustration earlier in life, thank God i have been able to reduce it to manageable level now. @OP you will finally have to buy generator. I hate generators cause of the noise but, if you know power may be off for up to 24hrs, you have no choice.
Inverters are good if your location does not suffer outage for more than 4hrs (depending on size of your battery bank).
But dont give up.
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 29, 2012
Generator incure huge cost with time. I hope the OP looks for portable solar charger for laptops. It is very effective during the day. and charging your extra battery down while using the charger for the laptop during the day and both batteries during the night. At least you would be getting close to 6 hours of night work from your two batteries.

1 Like

Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by dammytosh: 3:39pm On Oct 29, 2012
codebrew85: Good day all, I just started learning programming and PHCN is not helping at all with their epileptic power supply in my area. My laptop's battery doesn't last more than 3hrs. The lack of steady power supply is really pushing me to the edge but I don't want to get discouraged. Please can you suggest an alternative power supply that I can use and I don't mean gen set. There's this device that INEC officials used during the election- a rechargeable battery that lasts upto 6hrs. Does anyone know where I can get to buy it? Thanks all, as I await your response. Mod, please front page.

Hmm Poster. You have a Laptop that can even do 3hours without light. My dear you have everything you need to be a good programmer. You can't wait for any perfect condition because it will never come.

When i was learning programming, i do write on a sheet of paper and go to a friend's place to type it whenever his system is free and guess what ? All the money i have been spending for the past 6years + is 99.9% from programming and i am a bit comfortable and can make others around me a bit comfortable too. (If u know what i mean)

My advice is that you sit down and plan your time along PHCN availability. Read, think and put down notes when there is no light and implement when light comes.

Back then, i was a walking compiler because i even debug all my codes on paper. But with the kind of application you will be hoping to build, You need to analyze,think, and read when there is no light. Don't be in a hurry to write codes.

The situation can only make you a stringer programmer.

3 Likes

Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by dammytosh: 3:39pm On Oct 29, 2012
Don't be in a hurry to write code when you are learning tooo.
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by ihebrooke(m): 3:42pm On Oct 29, 2012
all4naija: Probably you didn't read the OP comment. He said he can't afford generator. Now, how would it be possible to charge them when there is no electricity for three or more days?

Nope. I read it very well.
Can't he get to charge it elsewhere? Must you own a generator to charge your phone. Don't they have centres where they pay 50 to charge your phone?

Life is all about devising different means to overcome challenges?

Frankly, I don't even understand your point. Do you want him to quit because there is no alternative source of electricity?

1 Like

Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 29, 2012
Why are most people prescribing generator he states he doesn't want?! Please, stop pointing to generator.There is better alternative like the portable solar charger!
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 29, 2012
ihebrooke:

Nope. I read it very well.
Can't he get to charge it elsewhere? Must you own a generator to charge your phone. Don't they have centres where they pay 50 to charge your phone?

Life is all about devising different means to overcome challenges?

Frankly, I don't even understand your point. Do you want him to quit because there is no alternative source of electricity?
Jeez! He should be looking for where there is generator to charge the batteries on regular bases. It is preposterous to accept this your very idea with the erratic nature of power supply in the country.

It doesn't make good sense to me!
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Sunymoore(m): 3:48pm On Oct 29, 2012
Code a program that will recharge ur laptop now, its vry easy.
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Gabrielsylar(m): 3:51pm On Oct 29, 2012
U have a laptop battery that lasts 3hrs and u are still complaining....since u don't have money for generator and inverter...make d best of d lil time u have.....but am sorry to say u WON'T make a good programmer cos u are too aggresive and temperamental....ur codes will suck and even debugging will crash ur laptop...a programmer is an introvert who controls his emotions....didn't u know dat nepa sucmks before u venture into a career that can make u hyperventilate..I will advice u to go learn wordperfect or corel5.......
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by Tos87(m): 3:53pm On Oct 29, 2012
Connect Ţ☹•◦ national grid ãпԃ make history. shocked shocked
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by InvertedHammer: 3:55pm On Oct 29, 2012
If you have a car, run your laptop off your car battery using about 400W Inverter. I used it in Nigeria and it worked well.
I got one from Walmart for about $39.99 (N6500). All you do is plug it into your cigar lighter adapter and connect your
extension cable to it. It has a warning light that is visible on your laptop as well (kinda flip flop picture of charging/not charging).
If the warning light comes on, your battery is drained but with enough juice left to start the car.

It worked well for me. You may want to try it.
Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by ihebrooke(m): 3:56pm On Oct 29, 2012
all4naija: Jeez! He should be looking for where there is generator to charge the batteries on regular bases. It is preposterous to accept this your very idea with the erratic nature of power supply in the country.

It doesn't make good sense to me!

You chose the part of the post that suits you. Did you not see the part that states that centres for such charging of batteries exist.

I can see that no other reason/advice makes sense to you apart from your 'inverter'

1 Like

Re: Help A Frustrated Programmer With Power Problem by dammytosh: 3:59pm On Oct 29, 2012
Gabriel_sylar: U have a laptop battery that lasts 3hrs and u are still complaining....since u don't have money for generator and inverter...make d best of d lil time u have.....but am sorry to say u WON'T make a good programmer cos u are too aggresive and temperamental....ur codes will suck and even debugging will crash ur laptop...a programmer is an introvert who controls his emotions....didn't u know dat nepa sucmks before u venture into a career that can make u hyperventilate..I will advice u to go learn wordperfect or corel5.......

That is totally not true. I am a programmer and all what you type is not a factor in being a good programmer. It has nothing to do with it.

If I may ask,what type of debugging crashes laptop ? undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need To Learn Algorithms / I Want To Become A Good Systems Programmer Before I Graduate / MY JOURNEY WITH PYTHON!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.