Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? (5992 Views)

What Language Does Nairaland Use? Answer Needed. Thanks. / Which Programming Language Is Best For Building An Hospital Management Software / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by Nobody: 4:23am On Mar 22, 2011
I really don't know that's why i am asking this question listed as my topic. i never had the opportunity to attend college in Nigeria, but i will like to know which high level language do Nigerians use in Programming, thank you!
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by Afam4eva(m): 8:22am On Mar 22, 2011
High level ko middle level ni. What they teach are outdated languages such as COBOL, PASCAL etc
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by VALIDATOR: 8:25am On Mar 22, 2011
On campus,students are taught BASIC,Pascal,Fortran or any other archaic programming language just to know how to think like a programmer.
Outside the campus, Microsoft Visual Studio especially VB is very common as well as C-type languages like php and java. People rarely use C++.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by kodewrita(m): 9:00am On Mar 22, 2011
100 & 200 Level(Freshman and Sophomore class): most institutions teach you fortran (if u are a comp sci major) and BASIC (if you are not). If you are lucky, you will be taught C. In my own case, we learnt FORTRAN 77 and FORTRAN 95(used it for numerical computation I and II courses in 100 & 200 level). We also learnt PASCAL for Data Structures courses.

300 Level: We learnt VB, HTML(PHP & ASP given passing mention but not touched) and C++(Intro to C++).

400Level: Java Programming class.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by 0yewale(m): 11:18am On Mar 22, 2011
they teach nothing meaningful,updated, only few schools do teach languages like c,c++ php and some C sharp, but still not to the expected standard,
i tell you want reference does languages like pascal,basic, cobol have nowadays where the world is being ruled by others like java,php,csharp, matlab, all those schools sucks for now,
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Mar 22, 2011
There's no too much difference between both Nigeria and here, or may be it's because of my state? because Texas is ranked 49th in Education in the United States, but i am using C++ (Visual Studio Express Edition) i have heard about other languages, but my instructor prefers Visual Studio, but i still need help on that too, thanks!
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by NumberOne2(m): 2:53pm On Mar 22, 2011
Nigeria just like anyother nation DOESN'T have any particular language it adheres to. The market is wide, Java, C, Basic, PHP, the list is endless. The important thing is learning a language that will allow you design the kind of apps you need/want.

Facebook runs on PHP. I doubt many FB users know or care about that. I don't think folks that use software care the language it was written in, they just want an app that works.

Personally on the web, PHP works wonders; for stand alone applications, I stick to Java. Java sucks on the web.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Mar 22, 2011
Number_One, i will take Java but not right now, because i am a little bit behind my degree plan, but i will catch up during this summer holiday, do you have some tutorials that can help me please ?
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by NumberOne2(m): 10:36am On Mar 23, 2011
The books I have on Java are hard copy. 25 of them, with over 100 pages each. Perhaps you should go online. There are lots of stuff there.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by kodewrita(m): 12:28pm On Mar 23, 2011
visit www.javaranch.com. there are lots of fellow java learners there.

get the java documentation (its a download) from java.sun.com (i think).

Rumour suggests that java books exist as torrents. unconfirmed.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 23, 2011
Thanks i will do that when i get off work, please still give more info if y'all have some, my e-mail is dumosky2010@gmail.com, if you send me any i will so grateful, thanks frnds!
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by jayorca(m): 6:42am On Mar 24, 2011
shocked  Nigerian Institutions should be teaching programming languages that support Object-oriented programming, especially java because its the future of Object-oriented programming
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Mar 24, 2011
That's true. but it all depends on how the system will accept the fact that things ought to be in the right way. sometimes the news i read scares and drip tears out of my eyes, it makes us look like good things can never come out from us, i have faced so many challenges here and i am thanking God for giving me an opportunity to experience such things!
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by sisqology(m): 12:54pm On Mar 25, 2011
Please, people tell me, is pascal outdated, and if it is, if a beginner like me is about to start something, what is it advisable to work on please??
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 25, 2011
My friend, i am also a beginner like you. But i started, using C++ visual studion, this is my second semester on Visual studio II i tell you it's never easy but you will like it.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by NumberOne2(m): 1:58pm On Mar 25, 2011
Please, people tell me, is pascal outdated, and if it is, if a beginner like me is about to start something, what is it advisable to work on please??

The language you learn depends on what kind of apps you want to design. If you want web based apps, try PHP, ASP and the likes. If you like stand alone apps, try C++, Java and the likes. I'll advice you start with a simple language like HTML which gives you the basics of web design. Then graduate to Java Script for starters.

Just an advice.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by Slyr0x: 9:35pm On Mar 25, 2011
UNILAG

100L : Visual Basics
200L: C, C#, C++
300L: Assembly language, Java, C#, Python(got included this year)
400L: The closest they get to 'coding' is writing SQL Queries (Course title: Intro to DMBS)

Most things being taught are just Introductions i.e. Intro to Java prog lang, Intro to C#, bla bla bla (You most defo can't expect your lecturer to teach you any prog. lang. .Best they can do is to introduce you to it nD urs is to learn further).
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Mar 25, 2011
Wow those are cool languages, i am still on my way up there. i am a Rising Junior and I am taking Enterprise Computing and Prgramming Foundation II. i will be taking Operating Systems, Java, and Data Structure next semester, it's never going to be easy!
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by Slyr0x: 11:19pm On Mar 25, 2011
200 LEVEL

CSC201 Principles of Computer Science 3
CSC202 Introduction to Computer Programming 3
CSC203 Foundation of Sequential Programs 3
CSC204 Data Structures & Data Management 3
CSC100 Computer as a Problem-Solving Tool 3

300 LEVEL

CSC302 Concurrent Programming 3
CSC303 Analysis and Design of Digital System 3
CSC304 Operating Systems 3
CSC305 Machine and Assembly Language 3
CSC306 Introduction to Compiler Construction 3
CSC307 Numerical Computation 3
CSC311 Operations Research Techniques 3

400L

CSC401 Introduction to Database Management 3
CSC412 Introduction to Numerical Analysis 3
CSC430 Software Requirement Specification and Analysis 3
CSC432 Software Testing Quality Assurance and Maintenance 3
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by bollybees(m): 4:57am On Mar 26, 2011
Unilag has a fairly updated computer science curriculum(cc 2001): the current one(cc2008) than other Nigerian schools. Computer Science makes you a "programmer" not a "developer", that's why most courses are intro till 2nd yr, I guess. However a CS graduate is expected to be a developer.
1st yr.- VB6, VB.NET,Pascal
2nd yr- Java, Python.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by sisqology(m): 6:34am On Mar 26, 2011
@munber1, i am already into web designin, but i am bein thot ascal in skul and i am in 200lvl, lautech,, so i decided to explore more on it and i have gone far in it befor seein this topic that its outdated, i am perfect in html, css, Gud in jscript, but i stopped cos i ddnt have much tym again, so, i will revise and start with php now. Then go to c++ and java later, thanks bro.

Then, another question; which editor is the best, when it comes to web or which is advisable, i saw a frnd using dreamwever(i hate that), i use notepad, and textpad for js, but if i could get something better for all?
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by sisqology(m): 6:40am On Mar 26, 2011
@number1, i am already into web designin, but i am bein thot ascal in skul and i am in 200lvl, lautech,, so i decided to explore more on it and i have gone far in it befor seein this topic that its outdated, i am perfect in html, css, Gud in jscript, but i stopped cos i ddnt have much tym again, so, i will revise and start with php now. Then go to c++ and java later, thanks bro.

Then, another question; which editor is the best, when it comes to web or which is advisable, i saw a frnd using dreamwever(i hate that), i use notepad, and textpad for js, but if i could get something better for all?
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by kodewrita(m): 6:46am On Mar 26, 2011
sisqology:

@number1, i am already into web designin, but i am bein thot ascal in skul and i am in 200lvl, lautech,, so i decided to explore more on it and i have gone far in it befor seein this topic that its outdated, i am perfect in html, css, Gud in jscript, but i stopped cos i ddnt have much tym again, so, i will revise and start with php now. Then go to c++ and java later, thanks bro.

please dont be decieved a friend of mine wrote a complete game in pascal and progressed to delphi which is quite similar. He's making huge sums now from freelancing.

dont make your IT decisions entirely based on Nairaland. Confirm from other sites like www.stackoverflow.com before you make a final decision.

However if you want to take the path of least resistance to mastery, pick python, master it in one year. It will do you a world of good.
(do not allow yourself to be distracted by any comments or otherwise. its very easy to spend 5 years learning 5 languages. I lost time too to people making comments. dont fall into that trap. I am only now mastering PHP in detail though I can still converse in other languages fluently(certified in java and I can write an app in .NET if my life was on the line.)
)

PHP can be picked up anytime. Its one of the easiest languages and you can almost second-guess the names of default functions once you are experienced in it. its that easy.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by NumberOne2(m): 4:17pm On Mar 26, 2011

Which ever suits you. I'm more of an old school guy so I use notepad. I just type in the codes and refresh the browser. Dreamwaver, is great if your can learn using it. The Bottom line is to get the job done and have fun while doing it.

Most advanced programmers you see only got there by practice. If you want to be a GOOD programmer, you have to do a lot of practice. If you learn a language, try to do some projects on it. Put the skills to use and you will surprise yourself.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by sisqology(m): 1:06am On Mar 27, 2011
Thanks bro, @number 1, I really luv ur words of encouragement. So,as a 'first pratice' project, what do u suggest i work on first
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by NumberOne2(m): 7:43pm On Mar 27, 2011
Thanks bro, @number 1, I really luv your words of encouragement. So,as a 'first pratice' project, what do u suggest i work on first

Design a personal site to market yourself. Just like companies have company site, design a site that shows visitors what you can do, and what software or programming languages you are good at. More like a really "pimped up" CV.

Simple 3, 4 or 5 page site, ABOUT, SERVICES, CONTACTS, PROJECTS etc. You know what I mean. The PROJECTS can be sites or apps you have done in the past or stuff you are working on or hope to work on. SERVICE are languages you can work with PHP, HTML, JAVASCRIPT etc.

When you are done and its good, then you can host it. There are domains that host free. If its satisfactory to me, I can host it on a sub domain on my site free.

This is pretty basic stuff so it should be a walk in the park. One last thing, try Have fun while doing it, it will make room for creativity.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by sisqology(m): 11:58pm On Mar 27, 2011
Thanks bro, for the good hint, i am very greatful, i am already working on what you said, but was havin a doubt that it might be a wrong approach, i really need to get closer to you, so u can also aid me in some things i dont know, between, what's ur personal site bro/the projects u have done? Email; scuby1000 gmail com
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by hsadiq(m): 4:06am On Mar 30, 2011
you wouldnt believe it if i told you that, some polytechnics still FORTRAN.

it crazy but good. the benefit of this language is for programmers-to-be to learn how to proffer suitable solutions to specific problems.

vb6.0 is also taught in polytechnics too
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by NumberOne2(m): 2:38pm On Mar 30, 2011
Thanks bro, for the good hint, i am very greatful, i am already working on what you said, but was havin a doubt that it might be a wrong approach, i really need to get closer to you, so u can also aid me in some things i dont know, between, what's your personal site bro/the projects u have done? Email; scuby1000 gmail com

You misunderstood me. I meant a personal site for you; not for me. I have one already.
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by sisqology(m): 4:07am On Mar 31, 2011
Number_One:

You misunderstood me. I meant a personal site for you; not for me. I have one already.

Yes bro, i know and i understand u, i have done something of tht nature now, but some lil adjustments neeeded to be done still, maybe u can help me review, whats ur email?? and whats ur own site? wanna check how it looks
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by sisqology(m): 8:19pm On Apr 01, 2011
number1, i need you asap please
Re: Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? by Bawss1(m): 12:39pm On Apr 04, 2011
The wordings of this thread's title is wrong. It is correct to say Please Which Programming Language Do Nigerian Institutions Use?

I'm just pointing this out as this thread has hit the homepage. Cheers
smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Design A Module Program / In Need Of Help Working With Niit Degree...please Help / I Want To Learn Programming In 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.