Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,981 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan (4575 Views)

Athletics Ends With Nigeria Winning 10 GOLD Medals At All African Games! / Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France / IOC Asks Nigeria To Return Silver Medals & Collect Gold Medals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Ikengawo: 10:23am On Oct 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuk8C3NT1uE

Topic by www.facebook.com/ cheesy

President Goodluck Jonathan has raised the bar of performance in sports ahead of the 2016 Olympics in Rio, Brazil as he charged Nigerian Athletes to bring home with 36 medals which must include at least five gold medals.

Also present at the retreat which took place on Monday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja was Vice President Namadi Sambo, the Senate President, David Mark, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal.

Others were members of the Federal Executive Council, sports administrators, security chiefs, captains of industries among others.

The president charged the state governors to look into areas of advantage so as to contribute one athlete in their own chosen advantageous area who will be amongst the Team Nigeria 2016 contingent.

Mr Jonathan said: “Every state has some level of comparative advantage in one form of sports or the order and if every state will promise Nigerians that we will give you a medal in this area and another medal in this area that means we are expecting 36 medals.

“Out of these 36 medals, at least five will be gold. I also believe that the private sector will play a key role. We know that in some countries, the private sector plays some key roles in sporting activities and not just trading or manufacturing sporting wares.”

The president further promised his administration’s commitment to ensure that Nigeria becomes the best sporting nation in Africa and among the top four sporting nations in the Commonwealth and ultimately rule the world.

Jonathan said the vision was not only realistic but was also achievable with hard work, greater sense of purpose and dedication.

The purpose of the retreat according to the president was to chart a new course for sports in Nigeria and reclaim the country’s past glory as well as restore happiness and glory to the sporting events.

Mr Jonathan observed that apart from its benefits in bringing joy to Nigerians, especially when the nation’s teams do well, no other sector of national life has a greater force for mobilising and uniting the people around a common purpose than sports.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/10/22/i-expect-at-least-36-medals-in-next-olympics-jonathan/
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 30, 2012
First to smoke,sorry post

8 Likes

Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Ikengawo: 10:27am On Oct 30, 2012
LMFAOO!! ahhhahha!!

1 Like

Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by k2039: 10:35am On Oct 30, 2012
Mr president it's possible but very unrealistic(100% unrealistic)

The possibility is based on your assumptions and paper work from Aso Rock.

To achieve it will take more than 4years of preparation

Mr President,your dream will come through in the nearest future but not 4years from now
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by RichDad1(m): 10:39am On Oct 30, 2012
I am 100% sure he meant ParaOlympics cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by touchmehard: 10:40am On Oct 30, 2012
The President's expectations are commendable. But It's not just about expectation, it's about timely preparations. Nigeria can venture into some medal-yielding sports such as cycling, swimming and gymnastics, we have people with such talents.
Sports administrators should spot them out, and groom them. All this god-fatherism in sports /Olympics selection (whereby people insist that their candidates/ relations must go for olympics) should stop
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by gossips(f): 10:47am On Oct 30, 2012
I hope Mr. President understands that it isn't just in the saying...

1 Like

Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Ikengawo: 10:53am On Oct 30, 2012
That's where the problem lies. If a Nigerian youth aspires to be an athlete what option does he have for training other than football? and the only reason football is popular is because even the laziest most irresponsible leaders can find a grass field and call it a football field.

Something as simple as schools having teams is what makes America dominate because American kids can play any sport they want from the age of 7 and up, and most are involved in 1 sport because of the diversity of options and accessibility. Same could be said about european kids.

where can someone go to practice basketball? swimming, etc.

it's only during the last few months before the Olympics that Nigeria remembers they have to get ready and you see them trying to scrap together rag tag teams of random nigerian americans to represent the country that have never met each other let alone played any sport on the same team.

1 Like

Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Afam4eva(m): 10:55am On Oct 30, 2012
If Olympic medals were won by mere proclamation then Nigeria will beat the US and China on the medals table. Our problem is that we always want to achieve results with mouth instead of putting the machineries that will serve as a catalyst for change.
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by JUO(m): 11:49am On Oct 30, 2012
na mouth?
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by otokx(m): 11:49am On Oct 30, 2012
Speechless
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 30, 2012
Hahahahahahhaaaaaaaaa cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.

1 Like

Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Kslib(m): 11:55am On Oct 30, 2012
Hahaha!! Omo this one na command oh.. I will personally make sure that nobody from my state represents naija in 2016olympics cos with this tone Mr jona fit sell us to congo and niger if we no bring gold...
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by valdubem(m): 11:57am On Oct 30, 2012
atleast it will keep the pple involved 'awake'. we can work towards that. Thumds up GEJ
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by malcolm4: 11:58am On Oct 30, 2012
Grossly unrealistic. stereotype of nigerian politicians always making political statements.what are the efforts made to achieve his lofty goals come 2016?
GEJ continuing making statements while others are already grooming there athletes.
Mtsheeeeewwww.
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 30, 2012
Buhahaha!Seriously,lets continue hoping...Hope-the worst part of it
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Chanchit: 11:59am On Oct 30, 2012
We have 2 gold medals guaranteed... GEJ and his wife in power lifting, so we are now looking for 3 gold medals.
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by juman(m): 12:00pm On Oct 30, 2012
gossips: I hope Mr. President understands that it isn't just in the saying...

Mr. President is a man of a lot of talking but little action.

We have never done well in any olympics. Our best olympic, we got just few medals.
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Gozzzy(m): 12:01pm On Oct 30, 2012
I expect make fuel price be 25naira for 2016, at least 88% of graduates gainfully employed, electricity 24/7, our roads wonderfully enviable,...... If you no fit do am, dem 36medals?.....ma guy na cerebral malaria I dey suspect say u wan develop oh....na why you dey dream like that!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Babaofor(m): 12:02pm On Oct 30, 2012
so mr. president what is being done to make sure this dream becomes realistic.........NOTHING.......get a job dude
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by MrGlobe(m): 12:05pm On Oct 30, 2012
grin grin grin
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by datola: 12:08pm On Oct 30, 2012
By that time, 2016 GEJ would have returned to his best career- fishing!

1 Like

Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by adonisyung(m): 12:09pm On Oct 30, 2012
This country can never ß good with this generation of ingrates!you have æ president who ƻ optimistic and all you children of loosers do is hate!going by GEJ achievments (apart from security)I don't think any past president was better...before U̶̲̥̅̊ criticise mr president ask your self what your father has ever done to help this country...? Rubbish jobless phone addicts smh

2 Likes

Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by omiobo: 12:09pm On Oct 30, 2012
What do you expect from a zoologist turned president? I'm still part of the school of thought that say leaders are born not made. No offence! It's just a way to say I have my own d..ck"opinion"
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by laksides: 12:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
@least you are not going to be on that seat comes 2016
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by JideTheBlogger(m): 12:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
Our President is a comedian... grin

1 Like

Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by KINGwax(m): 12:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
*yawns* it's safe to dream
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by adventisty: 12:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
HOPE IN ACTION!
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by juman(m): 12:16pm On Oct 30, 2012
“Every state has some level of comparative advantage in one form of sports or the order and if every state will promise Nigerians that we will give you a medal in this area and another medal in this area that means we are expecting 36 medals.

“Out of these 36 medals, at least five will be gold. I also believe that the private sector will play a key role. We know that in some countries, the private sector plays some key roles in sporting activities and not just trading or manufacturing sporting wares.”

How will this happen? With cooperation of lazy state governors? I laughed. grin

I remember during the time of OBJ first term as president, he said during one of the media chat that when he came in as president he told the governors to adhere to a crop per state and plant it extensively, and the state will be known with that name of the crop. But the governors didn't listen to his advise, because they always got free oil money.

Nigeria is a derailed country.
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 30, 2012
Hehehe...!
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 30, 2012
U want 36 medals? Wow, people in hell want ice water, that doesn't mean they are going to get it
Re: I Expect At Least 36 Medals From Next Olympic - Jonathan by sucess001(m): 12:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
Its achievable!!...as long as IOC introduces 'corruption' as a sport by 2016 cheesycheesycheesy

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Hot Ring Girls Of Mayweather-pacquiao Boxing Fight..? / Team Nigeria Wins More Gold At All African Games / Best Betting Strategy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.