Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,893 members, 7,821,119 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

FIFA Ballon D'or Shortlist? Who Should Be In The List And Who Should Be Omitted - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA Ballon D'or Shortlist? Who Should Be In The List And Who Should Be Omitted (1172 Views)

FIFA Ballon D’or Shortlist. Who Do You Tip To Win. / 2014 FIFA Ballon D’or 23-man Shortlist / Final Three World Best Players Nominees (fifa Ballon D Or) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FIFA Ballon D'or Shortlist? Who Should Be In The List And Who Should Be Omitted by omar22(m): 1:27pm On Oct 30, 2012
Football's modern day Alamo could not have been accomplished without the extraordinary performances of Petr Cech in the Chelsea goal.

Last season Barcelona huffed and puffed in the Champions League semis, but could not find a way to break down the towering door that lay in the path of the goal they usually have no problem bursting.

The Czech keeper was excellent in the final against Bayern Munich too, capping off a season in which he had proven the doubters who had foolishly suggest "retire now," at the start, wrong.

A towering presence, Cech is surely this generation's answer to Peter Schmeichel—a fine shot-stopper who is remarkably agile for his size, but also a physical force in the penalty area.

He is still making gravity-defying saves this season—his quality stops against Nordsjaelland and Shakhtar Donetsk drawing praise from all quarters of the footballing community.

Which is why when FIFA released its list of the 23 players shortlisted for the 2012 Ballon d'Or award yesterday, given to the finest performer over the calendar year, I was genuinely surprised not to see Cech's name included.

Mario Balotelli's was, but Cech's wasn't.

Here is the list in full:

Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Mario Balotelli (Manchester City), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Didier Drogba (Chelsea, now Shanghai Shenhua), Radamel Falcao (Atletico Madrid), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (AC Milan, now Paris-SG), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Neymar (Santos), Mesut Ozil (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Andrea Pirlo (Juventus), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Yaya Toure (Manchester City), Robin van Persie (Arsenal, now Manchester United), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona).

Mario Balotelli, really?

Take away a couple of Euro 2012 semi-final goals, and what has the Italian striker done in the past ten months to deserve the honour?

For Blues fans, Didier Drogba was the only player who plied his trade in West London to have been included, even if he is no longer at the club.

In terms of goalkeepers, Gianluigi Buffon, Iker Casillas and Manuel Neuer were the only representatives of the shot-stopper's league.

Now Buffon's and Casillas' inclusion I can understand, but has Neuer really been more impressive than the Champions League winning, Premier League table topping, Cech?

Other notable omissions include Eden Hazard (though FIFA has always taken a dim view of Ligue 1), Franck Ribery, Giorgio Chiellini and Robert Lewandowski, the latter of whom scored 30 goals last season and helped Borussia Dortmund win the Bundesliga for the second season running.

Of course with awards such as these, there are always going to be deserving players who miss out.

The voters are coaches and captains of international teams, and journalists, all of whom will have their own opinion, as I have mine.

Barcelona and Real Madrid will always dominate so long as there is a perception of this untouchable aura around the two Spanish clubs—that they are playing on another wavelength far above and beyond anyone else in Europe.

But for me, Cech's absence from the shortlist is yet another blemish on the usually controversial award.

He wont care though, he'll make do with his Champions League winner's medal and skip watching the ceremony in January next year.

What do you think of the Ballon d'Or shortlist? Who else has been unfairly omitted?

Who is the Biggest Omission?

Franck Ribery, Petr Cech, Robert Lewandowski, Giorgio Chiellini, Eden Hazard
Re: FIFA Ballon D'or Shortlist? Who Should Be In The List And Who Should Be Omitted by isaco(m): 2:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
No single Chelsea player deserve it. The honour is between Messi and Rolnado. No player can meet up with the duo for now.

1 Like

Re: FIFA Ballon D'or Shortlist? Who Should Be In The List And Who Should Be Omitted by A40(m): 2:44pm On Oct 30, 2012
Wayne Rooney,Karim Benzema,Sergio Busquets have no business whatsoever in that list!! How could they omit Mario Gomez (UCL 2nd highest goal scorer) joint top scorer in the Euros?
Re: FIFA Ballon D'or Shortlist? Who Should Be In The List And Who Should Be Omitted by omar22(m): 3:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
isaco: No single Chelsea player deserve it. The honour is between Messi and Rolnado. No player can meet up with the duo for now.

SHORTLIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: FIFA Ballon D'or Shortlist? Who Should Be In The List And Who Should Be Omitted by hotwax: 7:49am On Oct 31, 2012
No single Chelsea player deserve it. The honour is between Messi and Rolnado. No player can meet up with the duo for now.
This is about shortlist anybody can make it. Rooney is there and Mata is not there. Are you not satisfy with that?
This your sour hatred for chelsea will not give hypertention.
Peter Cech is not there. Are you not happy. I know if Messi play for ChelseA, this is how you will rubish him too.
Re: FIFA Ballon D'or Shortlist? Who Should Be In The List And Who Should Be Omitted by dopeJemi: 8:48am On Nov 02, 2012
C dat 1 saying rooney doesn't deserve 2 be der. If rooney shudnt be der, hu shud? Torres

Hu dominated d epl last season alongside van-persie?

Ansa me, I'm waiting
Re: FIFA Ballon D'or Shortlist? Who Should Be In The List And Who Should Be Omitted by gendebs(m): 10:37am On Nov 02, 2012
dis list is crap, jargons and embarrassment to foot ball loving fans. Mario ballotelli, pique, sergio ramos, karim benzima. Abeg dis guy re not better than thier counterpart last year.
Re: FIFA Ballon D'or Shortlist? Who Should Be In The List And Who Should Be Omitted by A40(m): 2:55pm On Nov 02, 2012
dopeJemi: C dat 1 saying rooney doesn't deserve 2 be der. If rooney shudnt be der, hu shud? Torres

Hu dominated d epl last season alongside van-persie?

Ansa me, I'm waiting
Mario Gomez!!! Edinson Cavani e.t.c rooney was a no show in the UCL. Utd didn't make it past the first round remember? He also had a poor Euro tournament but I guess Rooney has to be there to satisfy the English
Re: FIFA Ballon D'or Shortlist? Who Should Be In The List And Who Should Be Omitted by dopeJemi: 4:11pm On Nov 02, 2012
A-40:

Mario Gomez!!! Edinson Cavani e.t.c rooney was a no show in the UCL. Utd didn't make it past the first round remember? He also had a poor Euro tournament but I guess Rooney has to be there to satisfy the English

I fink u r ryt

Buh u knw dey had 2 pick players 4rm each leagues
N rooney just had 2 be der cuz he dominated

(1) (Reply)

Hope Akpan Wants To Play For Nigeria / Why Are Ghanians Jealous Of Nigeria? / 8 Months Pregnant Olympian Runs 800m Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.