Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,565 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama (2558 Views)

Senator George Theuri Posts Half-Unclad Picture Of Him And His Wife On Facebook / Senator Mike Sonto's Gold Cars And Stacks Of Cash [PICS] / “don’t Blame Us For Not Supporting The Nigerian Army” – US Senator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by na2day2(m): 4:28am On Jan 29, 2008
dude, i guess u have some issues u want to spill out here right? whose world are u talking abt? give it a rest, nobody knows me or u in american and pls, no u, nor ur father or anyone ever in ur linage is/will be recognize like the kennedys. and u better stick to the topic b4 u raise my hair against u. as for the democrats in ur area, tell them they are sorry losers. why didnt they complain of too much media publicity and blowing things out of proportion when hilary cried that pitiful fake tears on tv. why didnt they complain when every media station was giving bill clinton unnecessary air time when he had nothing but undignified words oozing out of his mouth. abeg make we hear word. bad bell na hin dey worry all of una. angry angry angry angry

Kobojunkie:

Please stick to the debate and read the Nickname as is. It is straight up KOBOJUNKIE unless you have problem with the English Alphabet. Where I live, the same democrats do not care and are not moved at all by what happened last week infact, at work today, I overheard people blaming the media for blowing it all out of proportion. Now to claim that because the democrats on your end, the few you met speak for all, is rubbish. Like I stated earlier, the fact that many still voted for hillary even in SC goes to show that not all democrats see hoopla as you do @Na2day. So please, do not play that card here at all. Not all of Bill clintons friends are apparently on the side you are as there are still many of his supporters who come out to cheer at these rallies for him and his wife and clap even when they make these so called RACIST statements. I am not even a democrat and I don't even get how the whole was turned upside down.
Again, like the posted for the other guy to see, the Kennedy's may be big in your world but that does not necessarily mean it is the case for all americans. I hate having to repeat myself over and over but there are american's who could not tell you a single thing about ted kennedy, where he is from or what he stands for. Go out in the streets and ask around and you might get an idea of what the average americans really know about these kennedy's you hold high in your world there. Now come back and consider the fact that it is not the media that really gets to decide to the vote for many americans , but those very people out there who may not even care less what side these kennedy's endorse or do not endorse.

Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by na2day2(m): 4:32am On Jan 29, 2008
leave that guy alone, hin dey sniff garri with hin nostrils and the thing dey make am high on the wrong side. grin grin grin

debosky:

Bros I made no claim to superiority over the knowledge of the Kennedys, I simply stated that the impact of their endorsement may not be as easily dismissed as you prognosticate. I am not a US political expert, I simply state the little I know.

In order to distinguish between what they have said now and what they said previously, you would have to conduct another assiduous study of what they said when they initially supported the Clintons. You have simply said there is no substance to back their support of Obama, it may well be that there was no publicly enunciated reason for backing the Clintons earlier as well.

I haven't said I am suddenly privy to some high level information not available in the public domain, but since you 'know american politics' so well you should be well aware too that a lot more goes into a prominent politician coming out to endorse another than can be gleaned from a couple of sound bites.

Complex horse trading goes on behind closed doors before such declarations occur - do you think it is at all plausible that such meetings went on prior to all this, but the announcement delayed till after the SC primaries to give it maximum impact?

Going by what you have said, the politicians have really said nothing as to their real reasons, which may go on to indicate that there is some unrevealed reason as to why they are backing Obama. But is it mere hype or hollywood mediapalooza? I doubt that.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Kobojunkie: 4:32am On Jan 29, 2008
debosky:

Bros I made no claim to superiority over the knowledge of the Kennedys, I simply stated that the impact of their endorsement may not be as easily dismissed as you prognosticate. I am not a US political expert, I simply state the little I know.

In order to distinguish between what they have said now and what they said previously, you would have to conduct another assiduous study of what they said when they initially supported the Clintons. You have simply said there is no substance to back their support of Obama, it may well be that there was no publicly enunciated reason for backing the Clintons earlier as well.

I haven't said I am suddenly privy to some high level information not available in the public domain, but since you 'know american politics' so well you should be well aware too that a lot more goes into a prominent politician coming out to endorse another than can be gleaned from a couple of sound bites.

Complex horse trading goes on behind closed doors before such declarations occur - do you think it is at all plausible that such meetings went on prior to all this, but the announcement delayed till after the SC primaries to give it maximum impact?

Going by what you have said, the politicians have really said nothing as to their real reasons, which may go on to indicate that there is some unrevealed reason as to why they are backing Obama. But is it mere hype or hollywood mediapalooza? I doubt that.

1) No where in my post did I claim you had or claimed to have superiority of any sort. Please read my posts AS IS for once, would you

2) I did not in any way dismiss their endorsement but simply stated that even though it is touted to be of great importance to the Obama engine, it may not matter to the average americans who infact get to decide who the next president will be.

3) Like I said, this is not about where the kennedy's where a year ago but why they switched sides this week and not two months ago or two years ago.

4) Again, no where in my post did I say you are privy to information that the rest of us as not exposed to but trying to make you understand that this is debate based on what we all hear and read and so we have to go by what they say and their actions which is all we can actually judge at this point since we do not know the inner workings of their minds.

5) If it is the case that meetings and all did go on then, pray tell why when asked straight up, he chose to answer as he did ?? I am not trying to read their mind here, like I said all I have to go on is their own words here. I mean if you have any information on these meetings, please feel free to provide the information for those of us who curiously would like to understand the reason for this endorsement NOW.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by debosky(m): 4:41am On Jan 29, 2008
Kobo you really need to chill dude

I didn't say you made a claim, I only clarified my position based on your earlier post, nothing more wink

2) while it may not matter in the end, if the Kennedys' endorsements holds sway with the delegates who in essence get to determine who the candidate for the democrats will be, then the desired effect of getting him on the ballot (precursor to winning/losing at the polls) would've been met.

3) I made an assertion that the timing of the announcement could've been made such that it had maximum impact following Obama's expected SC triumph to make maximum gain from it, don't you think that is plausible?

4) Alright mate, I get you now, based on the publicly available information, it is NOT clear as to why the allegiance has shifted, but if you have followed politics for significant periods, it will not be far fetched to infer that some dealings/disagreements behind closed doors would've occured prior to this announcement.

5) I can't answer that, politicians all have their own motives, it would be mere speculation to assume anything at this point. More will be revealed as the race continues I believe. As far as the timing, my belief is what I have stated in 3 above.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by nigeria1: 4:43am On Jan 29, 2008
stop wasting your time. Obama would not become president. It is Only a white person that would be president in the USA. We live abroad and know what is going. just for press. When Obama become white he would president. Sorry But I have to say the truth.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Kobojunkie: 4:46am On Jan 29, 2008
debosky:

Kobo you really need to chill dude

I didn't say you made a claim, I only clarified my position based on your earlier post, nothing more wink

2) while it may not matter in the end, if the Kennedys' endorsements holds sway with the delegates who in essence get to determine who the candidate for the democrats will be, then the desired effect of getting him on the ballot (precursor to winning/losing at the polls) would've been met.

3) I made an assertion that the timing of the announcement could've been made such that it had maximum impact following Obama's expected SC triumph to make maximum gain from it, don't you think that is plausible?

4) Alright mate, I get you now, based on the publicly available information, it is NOT clear as to why the allegiance has shifted, but if you have followed politics for significant periods, it will not be far fetched to infer that some dealings/disagreements behind closed doors would've occured prior to this announcement.

5) I can't answer that, politicians all have their own motives, it would be mere speculation to assume anything at this point. More will be revealed as the race continues I believe. As far as the timing, my belief is what I have stated in 3 above.

Now that you know that this is the way Politics works, I urge you to now take time to watch the video yourself and try to take the man's own words as it is. Accept that the Kennedy's did have those words come out of their mouths in the interview and it was not planted there and then come back and tell me what you think they were saying in those videos when questioned about the shift.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Dawid: 4:53am On Jan 29, 2008
while you people are here arguing Kennedy is busy sipping Moet! grin
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Kobojunkie: 4:59am On Jan 29, 2008
Dāwīḏ:

Abi oo,  and at the end of the day, them fit they laugh all of us for believing their endorsement means they agree with obama's ideas when they may not even understand where obama actually stands on critical issues ,  LMAO!!!! I am just wondering if at the end of the day, this is not just about taking advantage of what happened in the last week to play the public and STAND someplace safe from "THE RACIST" crowd as this all continues. It's just that I notice how many of these people run to claim to be on the side of the "victim" as soon as the RACIST card is played. From experience, those who do so happen to be some of the most racist of all (and their guilty hearts know it well).
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by na2day2(m): 5:02am On Jan 29, 2008
LMAO cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Dāwīḏ:

Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by debosky(m): 5:05am On Jan 29, 2008
champagne is good oh grin

Race is probably the most elephant in the room issue in America, people just get so touchy around it, you have to look good or else.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Nobody: 7:31am On Jan 29, 2008
nigeria1:

stop wasting your time. Obama would not become president. It is Only a white person that would be president in the USA. We live abroad and know what is going. just for press. When Obama become white he would president. Sorry But I have to say the truth.

You are always quick to remind people that you reside abroad.

Nobody mentioned that Obama will win or loose on this thread.
What is being discussed is the impact he has and will make from sen Kennedy's endorsement and reasons for the endorsement.

Stop being authoritative in your comments.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Truthman(m): 7:53am On Jan 29, 2008
I am a Clinton supporter and I must say that the Kennedys's endorsement of Obama is a big blow to the Clintons.

I must say I wasn't really surprised as Obama is also of the Left Wing bloc as Ted Kennedy. His Endorsement however will be difficult to access as the democratic party in his home state is divided (Ted Kennedy, John Kerry and the Governor of the state on Obama side and the unions, most mayors and the state legislators siding with Clinton). I predict that the 93 delegates for Massachusetts were probably be split depending on who has the upper hand. Note that HRC is presently leading by 37 pts in the state.

Overall, Obama needs all the media publicity now as HRC is leading in most of the super Tuesday states.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Horus(m): 1:23pm On Jan 29, 2008
Barack Obama accepts the Kennedy endorsements.

Video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LQ-mL_iIoss&feature=related
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by McKren(m): 2:48pm On Jan 29, 2008
As soon as Kobo does not agree with a reason he starts claiming there was no reason given.

So in all of Kenedy's speech he did not give any reason for backing Obama??

Kenedy's endorsement simply renders useless the politics of fear promoted by HRC, that Obama is inexperienced and could be a risk. When the likes of Ted Kenedy, John Kerry, Dick Durbin, Deschale who have all been in the inner workings of American politics and Government says Obama can be trusted then he can be trusted.

Those who say it means nothing should tell us why the Clintons flooded him with phone calls lobbying him to at least remain neutral, or those who think it means nothing should tell us why the Clintons consider it necessary to parade Robert Kenedy's Children in response to Ted Kenedy endorsement of Obama.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by nigeria1: 2:54pm On Jan 29, 2008
You see, why waste your time. Obama would not be made president. You see he is black. He may have all it take to be President, but he is not white. USA can not have a black man as president yet, in future they can but now. I can't see it,  Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee would be president expect if anything unseen happen. I am black and I know how this system is.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by RichyBlacK(m): 3:03pm On Jan 29, 2008
McKren:

As soon as Kobo does not agree with a reason he starts claiming there was no reason given.

So in all of Kenedy's speech he did not give any reason for backing Obama??

Kenedy's endorsement simply renders useless the politics of fear promoted by HRC, that Obama is inexperienced and could be a risk. When the likes of Ted Kenedy, John Kerry, Dick Durbin, Deschale who have all been in the inner workings of American politics and Government says Obama can be trusted then he can be trusted.

Those who say it means nothing should tell us why the Clintons flooded him with phone calls lobbying him to at least remain neutral, or those who think it means nothing should tell us why the Clintons consider also necessary to parade Robert Kenedy's Children.

@McKren,
I've noticed that too, her views are usually off-track and her logic most times convoluted. I just pity her boyfriend (if she has any), she go use yamayama argument kill the poor man finish grin
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jan 29, 2008
nuzo:

Nobody mentioned that Obama will win or loose on this thread.
What is being discussed is the impact he has and will make from sen Kennedy's endorsement and reasons for the endorsement.

@nigeria1

If you have nothing to say as regards to the above quote, then you can kindly go to other threads that addresses why Obama may not make it to the white house.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by panalyst(m): 3:14pm On Jan 29, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Abi oo,  and at the end of the day, them fit they laugh all of us for believing their endorsement means they agree with obama's ideas when they may not even understand where obama actually stands on critical issues ,  LMAO!!!! I am just wondering if at the end of the day, this is not just about taking advantage of what happened in the last week to play the public and STAND someplace safe from "THE RACIST" crowd as this all continues. It's just that I notice how many of these people run to claim to be on the side of the "victim" as soon as the RACIST card is played. From experience, those who do so happen to be some of the most racist of all (and their guilty hearts know it well).

Kobo, this is what apparently happened according to CNN (anderson cooper. the best political team in the world.lol.) Basically, Keneddy was unsure of who to support. He is the patriach of the democratic party so his opinion is widely respected especially among core democrats. He initially planned to remain neutral till the end of the primaries. Clintons had solicited him for his support and when he told them he was not sure, they begged him to remain neutral. After the whole South Carolina debacle, He got really mad about Bill Clinton's involvement and the whole racial issues coming into it. As a democrat leader, he didnt want the race to go that way and so he called Clinton, The story according to one of Andeersoon Cooper's political analyst on CNN was that kennedy ended the conversation angrier than he was when he made the call. Apparently Clinton had been justifiying his position. With that, he realised Hilary would be too divisive and would not be able to win with the republicans,
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Iman3(m): 3:14pm On Jan 29, 2008
Let's put it this way,if Sen Kennedy ran for the Democratic nomination,he won't get elected.An extremely unpopular Jimmy Carter thoroughly thumped him in 79/80.If the man himself,with all the Kennedys behind him, doesn't enjoy that level of support within his party,his impact will on Obama's popularity will be minimal at best.

Its not that his endorsement means nothing its just that we shouldn't exaggerate its implications.Even JFK himself barely squeaked through a victory winning by a 0.2% margin that could have gone either way if Nixon asked for a recount.I have never subscribed to the Kennedy myth.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jan 29, 2008
RichyBlacK:

I've noticed that too, her views are usually off-track and her logic most times convoluted. I just pity her boyfriend (if she has any), she go use yamayama argument kill the poor man finish grin

Is kobojunkie a female?
If she is, then i see another NAFDAC woman in the making.
Keep it up, though i dont agree with you on this topic.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by McKren(m): 3:21pm On Jan 29, 2008
nuzo:

Is kobojunkie a female?
If she is, then i see another NAFDAC woman in the making.
Keep it up, though i don't agree with you on this topic.

To be honest am shocked too

If kobo is female then she is absolutely brilliant
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Iman3(m): 3:23pm On Jan 29, 2008
McKren:

To be honest am shocked too

If kobo is female then she is absolutely brilliant

The soft bigotry of low expectations grin You seem to think a female can't offer such debate.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by McKren(m): 3:32pm On Jan 29, 2008
Spin doctor take it easy

Just view my remarks in the positive light
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by nigeria1: 3:36pm On Jan 29, 2008
nuzo , what did i say that was out of place,  I still would tell you loud and clear, that Obama is wasting his time,  all this endorsement are waste. The democratic party need to be focus and faces the truth. It is a hard truth about America. In a country where an average qualified black man find it difficult to get a good job based on his educational background because of his skin,  One of them decided to dream he would be president. You know he is either on drugs or wasting his time. I know Obama have a good heart and what he want to do is a good thing. But the timing is not now. American are not ready for change yet. It would happen, but I don't see it in the next 10 years.

You need to live here and be honest with yourself.  it is getting there, people and generation are changing. but honestly, It is not there yet.

What the democratic should be doing is focus on trying to get power back through a means that can win, then later they can do the radical move. But a radical move like this. A black man as president of USA is like watching hollywood movies. It is only Just a movie.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Iman3(m): 3:36pm On Jan 29, 2008
Mr Redford,there is nothing positive in that comment for the female gender.Its condescending
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by romeo(m): 3:39pm On Jan 29, 2008
We need to wait until super tuesday to know the impact of the Kennedy clan
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by McKren(m): 3:40pm On Jan 29, 2008
Ok appologies

comment retracted
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by romeo(m): 3:41pm On Jan 29, 2008
McKren:

Ok appologies

comment retracted

You're a gentleman
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 29, 2008
I-man:

The soft bigotry of low expectations grin You seem to think a female can't offer such debate.

I have seen lots of women with such intelligence, but most times some of them prefer to use it on issues that does not have any positive impact on humanity.
You have to agree with me on this.

@kobojunkie

Don't worry, with my backing you will be the first woman to preside over Nigeria from Aso rock. But it won't be at all cost like Hillary Clinton.grin
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Iman3(m): 3:55pm On Jan 29, 2008
nuzo:

I have seen lots of women with such intelligence, but most times some of them prefer to use it on issues that does not have any positive impact on humanity.
You have to agree with me on this.

Whether some issues have a positive impact on humanity depends on your perspective.Besides,in our culture,women are discouraged from participating in politics whether openly or through condescending behavior.

It was interesting that a poll revealed that people are more receptive to a black president than a female one in America.Food for thought.

People keep going on about how Obama is handicapped by his race but there is still a barely suppressed snobbery held by men against the idea of a woman in position of power.

McKren:

Ok appologies
comment retracted

Mr McChivalry,lets see whether Kobo will accept but I doubt he/she is a woman. undecided I never believe anything Richy says grin I used to think Kobo was a woman until Richy made the same claim,now I can't tell.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 29, 2008
nigeria1:

nuzo , what did i say that was out of place,  I still would tell you loud and clear, that Obama is wasting his time,  all this endorsement are waste. The democratic party need to be focus and faces the truth. It is a hard truth about America. In a country where an average qualified black man find it difficult to get a good job based on his educational background because of his skin,  One of them decided to dream he would be president. You know he is either on drugs or wasting his time. I know Obama have a good heart and what he want to do is a good thing. But the timing is not now. American are not ready for change yet. It would happen, but I don't see it in the next 10 years.

You need to live here and be honest with yourself.  it is getting there, people and generation are changing. but honestly, It is not there yet.

What the democratic should be doing is focus on trying to get power back through a means that can win, then later they can do the radical move. But a radical move like this. A black man as president of USA is like watching hollywood movies. It is only Just a movie.

You may be totally correct, but what you are talking about is being neatly addressed in other threads. This thread is talking about Kennedy's endorsement, the reason behind that and the impact it will have on the super tuesday.

Whether Obama comes through or not, it's just the talk of moment around the world. Let's talk our own in our own little way.

nigeria1:

Brother, even though i have never worked in US, i did a three months course in California in 2003. Some of my family members still reside there. Racism in US cannot even be compared to the one in Asia.
So, i think i have a little idea of what the men of color are passing through.
Re: Senator Edward Kennedy Endorsed Obama by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 29, 2008
I-man:

Whether some issues have a positive impact on humanity depends on your perspective.Besides,in our culture,women are discouraged from participating in politics whether openly or through condescending behavior.

In as much as i support that people should view and believe in whatever they want to believe and whichever way they want to view or believe it. Common sense tell us the difference between right and wrong, positive and negative. We have also been taught in schools and at home.

As far as I'm concerned, if Kobojunkie is female; she is exceptional and outstanding.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Swedish Political Party Leader Burned Quran Outside Turkish Embassy (Photos) / Which African Countries Can't Nigeria Stand In War? / Guinean President's Unconventional Security Details: Video Sparks Controversy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.