Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,143 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds (5505 Views)

Jonathan Vows To Arrest And Deal With Those Behind ING / 2015: Jonathan Vows To Crack Down On Troublemakers / Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Joeadamu86: 7:58pm On Oct 30, 2012
Abuja - President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday vowed to recover all funds stolen by marketers from the petroleum subsidy scheme.

The president also warned that corrupt officials and fraudsters in Nigeria would not be spared as culprits would be severely punished to serve as deterrence to others.

President Goodluck Jonathan

Jonathan gave the assurances and warnings in Abuja at the launch of a Book titled; “Reforming the Un-reformable” written by Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy.

According to him, government is taking every measure to recover all stolen funds from those who defrauded the government in the Petroleum Subsidy Scheme.

Jonathan, who was represented by Vice President Namadi Sambo, said his administration was committed to various sectoral reforms aimed at creating jobs for the unemployed youth across the country.

“Let me assure you that my administration is not only committed to reform, we are indeed building on some of the reform measures initiated by my predecessors.

“On the governance front, we are going after those who commit various economic crimes and corrupt practices with impunity.

”As you may be aware, government is taking every legal measure to ensure that those who defraud the government in the petroleum subsidy scheme are made to pay back the stolen funds, and also are severely punished.”

He further restated the administration’s commitment to diversifying the nation’s economy, with particular emphasis on agro-business and value addition in the exploitation of other resources to generate employment and create wealth.

On the Book launch, Jonathan commended the author for documenting some of the important reforms embarked upon by government.

“On a personal note, I see this publication as an attestation of patriotism on the part of the author. As an administration, we shall always support such enterprise, for the purpose of setting the records straight.
“The central message of this important book is hope - hope that Nigeria can reform, and grow to become one of the world’s most dynamic economies.

“In the past, there was a lot of cynicism about Nigeria. Many people claimed that the political and economic institutions of this country could never be reformed.

“I commend this book for documenting some of the important reforms, which have occurred in Nigeria since our recent democratic transition.”

The president frowned at the situation where Africa’s history, economic challenges and progress were being written and narrated by foreign authors.

He, therefore, stressed the need for African leaders to invest more in writing about their experiences for the general good of the continent.

Jonathan congratulated Okonjo-Iweala for contributing richly to the advancement of governance scholarship.

“I am aware that many people may have read about Nigeria’s debt relief from the Paris Club, about the privatisation programme, or about the establishment of the excess crude account from newspapers.

“In this book, you will find a concise, well-organised discussion of all these policy measures without the big, technical, ‘grammar’ and jargon.”

He, therefore, urged State Governors and Local Government Chairmen to avail themselves copies of the book for smooth implementation of the reform programme at the sub-national levels.

Earlier, Okonjo-Iweala stated that the essence of the book, which took her four years to complete, was to engender hope in Nigerians.

She said the book was also meant for Nigeria to learn from her past experience to shape her future, saying that the book was not her biography.

Professor Paul Collier of the Oxford University, South African Minister of Finance Pravin Gordhan and Gov. Peter Obi of Anambra, who reviewed the 198-page book, all identified sound rules and effective institutions as the important pillars for sustained economic development. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/jonathan-vows-to-recover-stolen-subsidy-funds/

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by omiobo: 8:06pm On Oct 30, 2012
I too sabi book sotey I dey carry first for nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by valdubem(m): 8:18pm On Oct 30, 2012
Hope so. Second to comment cheesy
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by idowuswap: 8:18pm On Oct 30, 2012
Igbos should not be part of investigators ooooo.if not jonathan will not give acc of anything. Well na just advice wey go help all citizennnnnnnnnnnnnn....not igbo kweuuuuuuurat or goat
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Ogundale(m): 8:20pm On Oct 30, 2012
Abeg na today!!! Next jor.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Fatima75(f): 8:21pm On Oct 30, 2012
He should be given award for the best most vowed presido cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by 2sexy(m): 8:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
hehehehehe.... ANOTHER VOW?

PLEASE, HOW MANY MORE VOWS DO WE HAVE ON THE LIST BEFORE 2015?
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by BabaAlaji(m): 8:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
Recover it and cover it back.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by bigx(m): 8:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
triple "bla"
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Dollarman101: 8:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
Mr president is only restating the obvious. He has already started doing it already and I'm surprised most people on this thread don't know.
The level of ignorance on exhibition here is second to none. Are you guys for real? So you don't know that AIG committee was for Petroluem subsidy fraud and EFCC is taking the suspects to court. grin grin grin
You guys should tell me it's a joke.

You watch TV everyday. You have seen Ali and Tukur's sons been docked for subsidy fraud yet you don't know.
Penultimate week, the media was awash with reports of the arrest and subsequent prosecution of Ifeanyi Uba, MD of Capital oil. We saw EFCC take him to court and his remand in prison custody pending his admission to bail some few days after. Yet you don't know.

President Jonathan's statement is not in the realm of promises but ongoing reality. He is not saying what he wants to do but what he is already doing. EFCC has so far charged over 26 persons to court for Petroluem subsidy fraud. more are still to come.

You guys should Endeavour to follow up on news on print and electronic media. Stop sticking on Nairaland alone.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by ebamma(m): 8:25pm On Oct 30, 2012
Maybe the english had president Jonathan in mind when the said that talk is cheap,
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by omenziate(m): 8:27pm On Oct 30, 2012
idowuswap: Igbos should not be part of investigators ooooo.if not jonathan will not give acc of anything. Well na just advice wey go help all citizennnnnnnnnnnnnn....not igbo kweuuuuuuurat or goat

U dis inbred of a raving lunatic father and an adultress mother. May ur sorrows on earth b multiplied 10 times as many bigoted comments u have on Nairaland. Insolent Bastard.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by adonisyung(m): 8:27pm On Oct 30, 2012
Dis jona and ngozi self! Patients ß wise o
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by omenziate(m): 8:28pm On Oct 30, 2012
Jonah, Kindly STFU and continue drinking ur Dry gin. Ur asinine comments don't move us again. Hw many of ur lies we wan begin count? Chairman, just do commot for another devourer to continue.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by martyns303(m): 8:29pm On Oct 30, 2012
if you don't honor a oath u swore with the bible befor entering aso rock is it the vow you just ooz outta ur mouth you'll keep to? am directing this to all politicians.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 30, 2012
Believe me, come 2015, jonathan'll still be promising the same thing. Since january, he's been promising to investigate d issue..but we're still rooted to a spot! Wtf?? Would u ever graduate from d Federal University of Cluelessness?!
Abeg make u stand well joor...u think say we be fool ni??!!! angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by leftone: 8:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
Dude should shut up and do what he wants to do.
Action,they say speaks louder than words...
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Novice1(m): 8:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
Jonathan promises this,
Jonathan vows that,
FG will soon embark on......
Arrangements have been concluded for.........

Kai!!! Waiting will kill Nigerians
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by igbsam(m): 8:41pm On Oct 30, 2012
Always Vowing and Promising........We don tire to dey hear this word jare. Next pls.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by waice6571: 8:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
Eazier said than done. abi na today. What is the outcome the loot recovered from the likes of Tafa Balogun, Alaighemesia, Cecelia Ibru, James Ibori and others .
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Chitexs250(m): 8:54pm On Oct 30, 2012
;DLWKMD ;DLWKMD Oga Jonathan one day u go promise Nigerians ur life
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by menipo(m): 8:54pm On Oct 30, 2012
Fatima75: He should be given award for the best most vowed presido cheesy
grin grin cheesy
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Mekusnwa: 8:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
I pity those involved in this crime, cause GEJ is really out for you guys. Better start to return the cash by yourselves oo
Go and ask Uba, he is already finding it very hot. He is refunding 40 billion Naira stolen.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by waice6571: 9:02pm On Oct 30, 2012
adonisyung: Dis jona and ngozi self! Patients ß wise o
wooden man + iron lady =?
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by SOHKAHTOA: 9:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
.......and so shall it be.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 30, 2012
omiobo: I too sabi book sotey I dey carry first for nairaland.
u spend too much time on the internet
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 30, 2012
adonisyung: Dis jona and ngozi self! Patients ß wise o
for where? general hosptal or at igbobi?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Hoodrat(m): 9:09pm On Oct 30, 2012
“I am aware that many people may have read about Nigeria’s debt relief from the Paris Club, about the privatisation programme, or about the establishment of the excess crude account from newspapers.

Yes Sir Mr Jonathan Nigerian has been counting their glory on the newspapers since the days of old and thank you for reminding us. Kudos to you and your folks.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by sessydoo(m): 9:11pm On Oct 30, 2012
So this Man is still talking?? okay we hav heard, when u recover the stolen fund, we authorise u to embezzle it...next page jorrrrrrrr
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 30, 2012
Hesus Xristos! ' I will do this, I will do that', una no dey tire to talk. We don hear na, time for some darn action dammit angry
Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by nagoma(m): 9:33pm On Oct 30, 2012
Who cares about Jona's promises? Which one has he ever fulfilled? I don't give a damn!! Mtcheeew!!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Recover Stolen Subsidy Funds by Revealedtv(m): 9:44pm On Oct 30, 2012
smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Inaugurates Panel To Recover Unremitted Revenues / Obasanjo Responds To Fayose. / Dakuku Peterside After His Defeat(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.