Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,762 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? (1457 Views)

Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD / Havard University Scholarship Or Dangote's P.A? / Full Phd Scholarship In Singapore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by hustla242: 11:42pm On Oct 30, 2012
The topic is self-explanatory. Full Phd offer for 3 years with £19k/year allowance (stipend) in top 2 university in the UK or job as a scientist (>£35k/yr).

I would suggest quit for the PhD- you can always get a job later with the experience; an offer from top 2 university won't always be there.

Please any other views?
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by k2039: 12:18am On Oct 31, 2012
hustla242: The topic is self-explanatory. Full Phd offer for 3 years with £19k/year allowance (stipend) in top 2 university in the UK or job as a scientist (>£35k/yr).

I would suggest quit for the PhD- you can always get a job later with the experience; an offer from top 2 university won't always be there.

Please any other views?

[size=14pt]Na true you yarn jare.[/size]

[size=18pt]sama this beer for your body[/size]

Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by deolub: 10:35am On Oct 31, 2012
Since you have gotten to this stage...I really support the fact that you should take the PHD scholarship offer...cos the PHD will allow you to improve your expertise even though its research and academic focused..trust me a job will always come after PHD...buh am sure ppl like @ajanlekoko and @tanimola are in good position to analyse this critically....
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by hustla242: 11:47am On Oct 31, 2012
deolub: Since you have gotten to this stage...I really support the fact that you should take the PHD scholarship offer...cos the PHD will allow you to improve your expertise even though its research and academic focused..trust me a job will always come after PHD...buh am sure ppl like @ajanlekoko and @tanimola are in good position to analyse this critically....

You're right although it takes 4 years to complete a PhD and I'm wondering where I could be in 4 years time if I just continue the job. I miss working on my own research, which is why I'm considering a PhD. The prospects on my current job is good- I'd like to hear from people that have been in a similar situation.
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by 2bosun: 12:03pm On Oct 31, 2012
Believe me bro, you better keep your job.
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by deolub: 12:15pm On Oct 31, 2012
hustla242:

You're right although it takes 4 years to complete a PhD and I'm wondering where I could be in 4 years time if I just continue the job. I miss working on my own research, which is why I'm considering d a PhD. The prospects on my current job is good- I'd like to hear from people that have been in a similar situation.

Yea bro...I think I understand what you mean...and that is why I suggest people like @tanimola @ajanlekoko et al to address it...please can you tell us the discipline or your research interest(I mean your current job) and the Phd course we are talking about cos certain specialization dwells more on experience for professional growth....and of course I believe you applied for the Phd scholarship as well+ the fact that its in a top 2 UK university...that was why I support the idea of you going for the Phd
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by hustla242: 1:09pm On Oct 31, 2012
deolub: Since you have gotten to this stage...I really support the fact that you should take the PHD scholarship offer...cos the PHD will allow you to improve your expertise even though its research and academic focused..trust me a job will always come after PHD...buh am sure ppl like @ajanlekoko and @tanimola are in good position to analyse this critically....

My current job doesn't have a lot to do with my research interest. I work on psychiatry and cancer projects at work; PhD offer is in my primary area of interest i.e. immunity and infectious disease (http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/funding/biomedical-science/funding-schemes/phd-funding-and-undergraduate-opportunities/wtd004384.htm)- for people interested.

I'm leaning more towards leaving my current job but I'm worried a PhD may take my career in a different direction (academia)- which I don't want.
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by hustla242: 1:10pm On Oct 31, 2012
2bosun: Believe me bro, you better keep your job.

lol why?
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by deolub: 2:41pm On Oct 31, 2012
hustla242:

My current job doesn't have a lot to do with my research interest. I work on psychiatry and cancer projects at work; PhD offer is in my primary area of interest i.e. immunity and infectious disease (http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/funding/biomedical-science/funding-schemes/phd-funding-and-undergraduate-opportunities/wtd004384.htm)- for people interested.

I'm leaning more towards leaving my current job but I'm worried a PhD may take my career in a different direction (academia)- which I don't want.

Hmmmmm....I just think the PHD offer has a lotta benefits ranging from the opportunity to explore other areas different from your present job etc.
Whether you like it or not the fact is that even your current job is academic focused and a PHD in immunity and infectious disease would make you more competitive and may be dynamic/flexible. I don't know if its poSsible to integrate your research experience in cancer with new PHD experience in immunity and infectious diseases....I really think the PHD tin makes more sense...buh still looking forward to hear more views from you
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by Mustay(m): 2:43pm On Oct 31, 2012
Some of my thoughts have been written in previous posts. With the OP's last post, I'd 'vote' for the PhD.
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by lanreni: 6:57pm On Nov 01, 2012
go for the phd. GBAM!! cool
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by 2bosun: 12:30pm On Nov 02, 2012
hustla242:

lol why?

What's the point of a PHD, isn't it to get a job in the end? There are millions without job and you want to quit your job.
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by Mustay(m): 3:08pm On Nov 02, 2012
2bosun:

What's the point of a PHD, isn't it to get a job in the end? There are millions without job and you want to quit your job.

Maybe @hustla242 should read this -

Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by hustla242: 3:37pm On Nov 02, 2012
2bosun:

I understand your view which is why I'm a bit confused. I have a feeling though, that'll I'll always get a job when I finish. Just that my current colleagues might be in management whilst I'd have to start again.

Mustay:

Maybe @hustla242 should read this -

Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist

I've read that article; an economist will always think a PhD is a waste of time, which is partially true. I believe a PhD outside the sciences and engineering is not good value for money becuase you'll probably end up jobless.
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by lanreni: 9:15pm On Nov 02, 2012
Do you know the opportunities that will be chasing after you after your scholarship programme in europe? Don't dull yourself.even your colleagues would dream of such exposure.open up your mind to gain a lot from this opportunity,even outside the academic domain and leave the future to worry about itself.you are only permitted to measure yourself by your potential,not by where your colleagues are.do what gives you greater joy and satisfaction.thats what matters at the end. GBAM!!
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by Mustay(m): 4:57am On Nov 03, 2012
hustla242:

I understand your view which is why I'm a bit confused. I have a feeling though, that'll I'll always get a job when I finish. Just that my current colleagues might be in management whilst I'd have to start again.
undecided You'd always start from somehwere! Your knowledge would you put you at an edge that those of your friends who had no time or interest to read more will not be able to offer as much as you can. In the end, it's no longer about how you start!

I've read that article; an economist will always think a PhD is a waste of time, which is partially true. I believe a PhD outside the sciences and engineering is not good value for money becuase you'll probably end up jobless.

Your opinion anyways. If this was the case, people would stop going to universities as there are so many bachelor degree holders out there.

One's knowledge is always an ASSET and an asset is an ECONOMIC RESOURCE!

lanreni: Do you know the opportunities that will be chasing after you after your scholarship programme in europe? Don't dull yourself.even your colleagues would dream of such exposure.open up your mind to gain a lot from this opportunity,even outside the academic domain and leave the future to worry about itself.you are only permitted to measure yourself by your potential,not by where your colleagues are.do what gives you greater joy and satisfaction.thats what matters at the end. GBAM!!

Thank you for shortening my response. You don already even put the 'GBAM!' wey I wan put for your comment.
Re: Full Phd Scholarship Or Keep Job? by hustla242: 3:31pm On Nov 05, 2012
Mustay:
undecided You'd always start from somehwere! Your knowledge would you put you at an edge that those of your friends who had no time or interest to read more will not be able to offer as much as you can. In the end, it's no longer about how you start!

Your opinion anyways. If this was the case, people would stop going to universities as there are so many bachelor degree holders out there.

One's knowledge is always an ASSET and an asset is an ECONOMIC RESOURCE!

Thank you for shortening my response. You don already even put the 'GBAM!' wey I wan put for your comment.

I like the way you think!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Update On A Cripple Working As A Cobbler (photos) / Massive Recruitment At Cars45 Limited 2019 | Apply Now Before Deadline / Starting A Successful Digital Marketing In 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.