Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,475 members, 7,854,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 10:22 AM

Boxing - One-handed Boxer Wins First Pro Bout - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Boxing - One-handed Boxer Wins First Pro Bout (540 Views)

Obafemi Martins Wins First Title Of The Season / The One -handed Goal Keeper, What An Inspiration!!! / Samuel Peters Vs Vitali Klitschko: X-ray Of The Bout Dubbed "Peter's Nitemare" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Boxing - One-handed Boxer Wins First Pro Bout by ryback(m): 9:21am On Oct 31, 2012
American boxer Michael Costantino has just won his first professional fight despite an incredible handicap: he only has one hand.
The 33-year-old New Yorker had to battle sports authorities even to be allowed into the ring against Nathan Ortiz at the Aviator Arena in Brooklyn this weekend.

But the cruiserweight fighter justified his perseverance by earning a second round knockout victory in front of an estimated 1,500 boxing fans.

Costantino was born without a right hand, and while he still wears a glove over his stump he is unable to punch. He does use his affected limb for defence, not that he needed much in that department after ending the bout with a crunching left shot that sent a dazed Ortiz to walk away from his opponent and prompted referee Randy Neumann to stop the fight.

"I just wanted to show people that in life, if you ever feel like you're not good enough or you feel down that anything is possible," Costantino told the New York Daily News.

"I wanted to show people that if you work hard and believe in yourself that you can achieve what you set out to do."

Despite Costantino being more concerned about making a point than a boxing career, he is keen to fight on - at least for now.

"I felt good out there," he said. "If this is how these fights are going to be, why wouldn't I want to continue my career?"

The New York State Athletic Commission were very worried, making him see several doctors and pass an extensive medical before granting Costantino a licence.

But they ended up just as surprised as the unfortunate Ortiz, who conceded that his one-armed opponent had been "better than I thought", before adding rather unsportingly that he'd only had two weeks to train.

"Give me two months to train and I’ll knock him out in the first round,” Ortiz added.

Yahoo
Re: Boxing - One-handed Boxer Wins First Pro Bout by overdrive(m): 9:42am On Oct 31, 2012
He must hv fought wt a pregnant woman.lol
Re: Boxing - One-handed Boxer Wins First Pro Bout by ryback(m): 10:29am On Oct 31, 2012
lol...even at that he could still win

(1) (Reply)

Lampard In Talks With Chinese Team / Yobo Don Warn Osaze / What Nigerians Needs To Pray For About AFCON

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.