Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,827 members, 7,817,413 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

The Truth About Web Designers In Nigeria - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Truth About Web Designers In Nigeria (852 Views)

Web Designers In Nigeria (Contact Details) / The Truths About Web Designing/Development Business in Nigeria / All Web Designers In Nigeria Are Amateurs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About Web Designers In Nigeria by PGON(m): 1:22pm On Oct 31, 2012
Web design is a lucrative job, looking at the fact that the internet is growing very fast. Everybody, when i say everybody i mean everybody; schools, communities, farmers group, professional, businessmen/women, companies, churches etc wants to have www. They are out there looking for web designers. It is quite unfortunate that there are only very few web designers to met their demands. The few that pose to be designer are frustrating clients with poor designs at cheap price. I once had a discussion with a fellow web designer based in US. How much can you use to do a very simple site, i asked him.

Oh! I bill clients from $100/hr depending on the nature of the site.
I didn't go further to ask him more question.
i did the math myself.

Now i know the truth. The problem with Nigerian web designers is that they tend to bill clients cheap price and produce poor sites in return.

The lack of employment and other factors have crushed the standards for web projects.

World wide web is an international project, and international standards should be maintained when it comes to web design.

Finally, considering Nigerian factors, we should bill clients more. In US and other developed countries, internet is cheap and electricity is constant. In Nigeria we pay a lot for a good internet connection and electricity (You know better)

(if you need a perfect wordpress, html, joomla etc template for your design..get in touch.)
Re: The Truth About Web Designers In Nigeria by Skulboy(m): 7:16pm On Nov 30, 2012
PGON: Web design is a lucrative job, looking at the fact that the internet is growing very fast. Everybody, when i say everybody i mean everybody; schools, communities, farmers group, professional, businessmen/women, companies, churches etc wants to have www. They are out there looking for web designers. It is quite unfortunate that there are only very few web designers to met their demands. The few that pose to be designer are frustrating clients with poor designs at cheap price. I once had a discussion with a fellow web designer based in US. How much can you use to do a very simple site, i asked him.

Oh! I bill clients from $100/hr depending on the nature of the site.
I didn't go further to ask him more question.
i did the math myself.

Now i know the truth. The problem with Nigerian web designers is that they tend to bill clients cheap price and produce poor sites in return.

The lack of employment and other factors have crushed the standards for web projects.

World wide web is an international project, and international standards should be maintained when it comes to web design.

Finally, considering Nigerian factors, we should bill clients more. In US and other developed countries, internet is cheap and electricity is constant. In Nigeria we pay a lot for a good internet connection and electricity (You know better)

(if you need a perfect wordpress, html, joomla etc template for your design..get in touch.)

Well, if I must say, another thing is that some are not well-versed in designing sha, so they can't charge more. Personally, I just design blogs and nothing more than that - still working towards the perfection of the blog design sha.

Another is this: designers find it hard to walk away from some projects.
Re: The Truth About Web Designers In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 11:23am On Dec 01, 2012
OP has said it all and I will add a few more to that:
1) There is poverty in the land of naija caused by high unemployment. As a result, many are doing websites not necessarily out of passion but because "na to do anything to survive". Thus those who don't know, will claim they know, take the job, then turn around and outsource. In the end, such projects will most likely fail due to a combo of ignorance on the part of the main "contractor" and the client

2) We want things now and forget about the long term (tomorrow). We think that by charging less to get the job now, we are smart. In reality, we should be looking for stuff long term. In other words, how far will 10K (~$65) take you?

3) We wan chop solo, forgetting that in dividing the labor, we can charge more and do more simultaneous jobs, as time we would have spent doing it all is reduced by more than half as we now only focus on what we know best

4) We don't know our worth and even when we do, mostly because of #1 above, we compromise. We forget that in turning down some jobs due to poor pay, we actually gain the respect of the client we have rejected as they will know that we are aware of our worth.

Some have said we should form union and that this would improve things. I don't agree. We just need a reorientation. We need to look at how it all began for us. If the foundation is weak, the house will not stand, if you know what I mean.

Happy Saturday and happy coding!

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Web Designers In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:19pm On Dec 01, 2012
infact Yawa has said it all,
Re: The Truth About Web Designers In Nigeria by Napolitano(m): 10:28am On Dec 02, 2012
Yawa is right. Nigerian web designers are ready to beat down their prices in order to get web design contracts that don't come everyday. An association of freelance web designers and web design firms would really work.
Re: The Truth About Web Designers In Nigeria by PGON(m): 6:11pm On Dec 03, 2012
See price nah...

This is just for Starters

(1) (Reply)

Proposal For Creating An Application For Queuing System In An Hospital / Some Questions For Sunnewonline.com / Calling On All Nairaland's Webmasters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.