Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official (11610 Views)

Stop Sending Your Deportees To Nigeria – ​FG Warns ECOWAS Member States / Reps Did No Wrong Jumping National Assembly Gate –keyamo / Court Of Appeal President Ayo Salami Did No Wrong Says NJC Panel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by PaulJohn1: 1:45pm On Oct 31, 2012

The waters from the dam caused massive flooding in various states across Nigeria, killing hundreds of people and displacing hundreds of thousands.

The Director of Dam Services at the Federal Ministry of Water Resources, Emmanuel Adanu, said the Cameroonian authorities did nothing wrong when they released excess water from Lagdo dam and caused massive flooding in communities along River Benue banks in Nigeria.

Mr. Adanu said this on Tuesday when the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, led a team of Journalists to the site for the construction of a multi-purpose dam at Otukpo, Benue state as part of the National Good Governance Tour being undertaken by the Ministry of Information.

“The Cameroonians did nothing wrong,” he said. “When there is excess water in a dam the safest thing to do is to release it in order to avoid breakage, which is more dangerous.”

Mr. Adanu said Nigeria will do the same thing whenever any of its dams is stressed.
The Director had earlier told the Good Governance team that the Federal Government awarded the contract for the construction of Otukpo dam to SCC Limited in March 2010 at a total cost of 17 billion naira only.

He said so far ten billion naira has been certified, out of which the government paid six billion, 800 thousand naira only.

The director said when the Otukpo dam is completed, it will impound about one hundred million cubic metres of water.
He said the dam is multi-purpose because it will provide water for domestic use and house a hydro power station that will generate 3.3 MW of power sufficient for Otukpo and other surrounding local governments.
“Otukpo dam will also be used for irrigation and fishing purposes,” Mr Adanu said.

The Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, said the construction of the dam in Otukpo is one of the major projects being executed by the Federal government in Benue state.
Mr. Maku called on the contractors to ensure they meet their delivery period in 2014.

He also advised the contractor to desist from unnecessary redesigning of the dam with a view to asking for variation of contract sums, which he opined appeared to be the new vogue for contractors handling government projects.
“One of the problems we face at the Federal Executive Council, FEC, with respect to dam construction is that contractors bring all sort of new designs and you find the job being prolonged for a long period,” Mr. Maku said.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/105390-cameroon-did-nothing-wrong-flooding-nigeria-fg-official.html

Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Iaz93: 2:56pm On Oct 31, 2012
*yawns* ....waiting
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 31, 2012
May God help us
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Iykebestbt(m): 2:57pm On Oct 31, 2012
When our own dam is filled up,we will return it back to where it originally came from.....NONSENSE!

Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 31, 2012
Ok
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Iaz93: 2:59pm On Oct 31, 2012
Iykebestbt: When our own dam is filled up,we will return it back to where it originally came from.....NONSENSE!
lmaOo... Funny
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 31, 2012
Dam diss cameroonians.
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by obicentlis: 3:10pm On Oct 31, 2012
How do you prevent future occurrence of it, that's how a responsive govt reasons. Look at US preparing for hurricane sandy. Gosh!!! When will my country have good leadership.

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Nobody: 3:11pm On Oct 31, 2012
Imanuelle: Ok

what? sad
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Sinju: 3:11pm On Oct 31, 2012
When your government thinks it is okay for people to kill you and destroy your property...... wahala dey.

If the Cameroon government gave the FGN warning about the potential for flooding [b]BEFORE [/b]they released the excess water and the FGN did not warn the people and evacuate the area--serious wahala dey.

4 Likes

Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 31, 2012
obicentlis: How do you prevent future occurrence of it, that's how a responsive govt reasons. Look at US preparing for hurricane sandy. Gosh!!! When will my country have good leadership.

I wish i could save this country from bad leadership like Joseph save.d Egypt from famine.
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Arosa(m): 3:13pm On Oct 31, 2012
The question is, were the peeps affected notified of the dangers ahead before the flood gates were opened?
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Nobody: 3:15pm On Oct 31, 2012
Nigerians really need to learn a thing or two in public speaking.
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by knowledge4(m): 3:17pm On Oct 31, 2012
I disagree. Did the Cameroonians advise the Nigerian authorities in advance to make emergency preparations?
Are there no dams in places like Europe, if i may ask?
If a dam is stressed there, do they release the water the way the Cameroonians did theirs to destroy communities in Nigeria? Now that the F.G.N. sees it as normal, who compensates the victims, how and when? The FGN or the Cameroon Government? Na WA oh for that kind defense! This Nigeria self.

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by LagosBoi2(m): 3:27pm On Oct 31, 2012
Result of weak govt. International relationships valuable than citizens life.

2 Likes

Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by jbrodaly(m): 3:30pm On Oct 31, 2012
If the camerounians informed the Nigerian government before the release of water from her dam and nothing was done in preparation...then some people need to have their ass kicked!How could there be so much damage if Nigeria was aware.These are the kind of of stuff that require no investigation..They should be fired and jailed for negligence of duty

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Nwoka(m): 3:35pm On Oct 31, 2012
I guess the minister doesn't stay in the community that's why it isn't wrong!! See as dem dey use canoe and it isn't wrong!! Try this in a nation where they care about their citizens!!! Selfish Bast-ards
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by glizengem(f): 3:37pm On Oct 31, 2012
This is really serious.. Maybe if he was among d flood victims he wud know its not normal..imagine losing everyfin u worked 4 ol ur life.. Pretty soon minister of defence will say boko haram killings r normal..... Mtschww
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by RuuDie(m): 3:38pm On Oct 31, 2012
knowledge4: I disagree. Did the Cameroonians advise the Nigerian authorities in advance to make emergency preparations?
If a dam is stressed there, do they release the water the way the Cameroonians did theirs to destroy communities in Nigeria? Now that the F.G.N. sees it as normal, who compensates the victims, how and when? The FGN or the Cameroon Government? Na WA oh for that kind defense! This Nigeria self.

Is the Cameroonian Govt supposed to advise the Nigerian Govt to make emergency preparations for her (Nigeria's) own citizens. . .!!? Dude, wake up!
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by bigtt76(f): 3:38pm On Oct 31, 2012
'He said the dam is multi-purpose because it will provide water for domestic use and house a hydro power station that will generate 3.3 MW of power sufficient for Otukpo and other surrounding local governments.
“Otukpo dam will also be used for irrigation and fishing purposes,” Mr Adanu said'
....I de laff ..the ones wey dey are not maintained or working to capacity yet den wan go build new ones. Seems anywhere billions de flow ...PDP are ready to dive into it. Why not build the retaining dam to checkmate Lagdo dam? Mumu people.

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by kolokolobi(m): 3:40pm On Oct 31, 2012
The cameroonians gave warning that they will open up the dams if the rains continued. the meterological dept had warned as far back as march this year that floods were expected....even gej admitted that the ministry of environment had warned the govt....some of the govs were also informed of impending flood...but you and i know better they dont care about the people they swore to protect and defend....just their pockets. gej even had the audacity to travel to the un when the floods were raging only to come aroung now reading speeches and paying vissits. what did he do when the info got to him....nothing....i beg second bass joooor
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by nuella50: 3:42pm On Oct 31, 2012
knowledge4: I disagree. Did the Cameroonians advise the Nigerian authorities in advance to make emergency preparations?
nigerian officials no dey see such arrangements na only the negative ones dey go learn cum practice for us
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by nuella50: 3:45pm On Oct 31, 2012
RuuDie:

Is the Cameroonian Govt supposed to advise the Nigerian Govt to make emergency preparations for her (Nigeria's) own citizens. . .!!? Dude, wake up!
[color=#990000][/color]how about rechanelling the water source to drought prone regions ? eh !
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by SisiKill1: 3:49pm On Oct 31, 2012
I swear it is only in Nigeria, an Official will blatantly show what little or no regard they have for its citizens. I mean If Cameroon did nothing wrong, then the FG is too blame for the deaths and destruction of properties right?

So what happened??!!
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by gonon: 3:49pm On Oct 31, 2012

Before you start criticizing the Cameroonians, please ask yourself one simple question. Why hasnt the Nigerian government built a buffer dam to absolve such scenarios? We have a government that doesnt plan simple. I am an Electrical Engineer, Power systems engineer to be precise, do you know how much it costs to build a dam, let alone the timeline to construct it? So dont blame anybody. We have released water from our Kainji Dam times without number. So channel your anger at the right people, YOUR GOVERNMENT.

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by taharqa: 3:56pm On Oct 31, 2012
Sometimes I dont undastad why some Nigerians hv the Flock 'follow-follow' mentality- if one person says smthing, everyone oda person would follow without thinking. One person says d FG (Min of Environment and NIMET) did not inform people on the path of d Rivers including their governors, of possible flooding and askd them to evacuate or be evacuatd by the state govts, other ppl just joind that person...smh
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:05pm On Oct 31, 2012
gonon:

Before you start criticizing the Cameroonians, please ask yourself one simple question. Why hasnt the Nigerian government built a buffer dam to absolve such scenarios? We have a government that doesnt plan simple. I am an Electrical Engineer, Power systems engineer to be precise, do you know how much it costs to build a dam, let alone the timeline to construct it? So dont blame anybody. We have released water from our Kainji Dam times without number. So channel your anger at the right people, YOUR GOVERNMENT.

We give too much importance to our leaders.. they seem larger than life but are really incompetent dullards who do not know what to do and when and even how.
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 31, 2012
Hand me a ******* and i would teach that man a message. Cameroun did nothing wrong in causing deaths of many people in Nigeria abi. Stupid Sentence.
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by taharqa: 4:09pm On Oct 31, 2012
gboss4sure: Hand me a Sniper and i would teach that man a message. Cameroun did nothing wrong in cause deaths of many people in Nigeria abi. Stupid Sentence.

Guy, the guy is very correct; the Cameroonians did nothing wrong. What they did is the standard way of dealing with such high water levels in dams cos as d Director said, it would have been much more disasterous if d water pressure were allowd to get to d extent of breaking up the dam; bliv me it wud have been much more devastating.

The Cameroons did what they had to do, it was Nigeria that didnt have a buffer dam on the Benue River( unlike Kainji on Niger side) that was at fault. The ongoing buffer dams under constructn need to finish as quickly as possible even b4 d 2013 brought-forward date cos if d Nkos lake in dat same Cameroon erupt (and they said it wud anything from now), this flooding wud be child's play

1 Like

Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by nex(m): 4:09pm On Oct 31, 2012
The Nigerian government has failed in several angles. Refusal to dredge the Rivers Niger and Benue which would allow all these waters to flow freely, and secondly the imbecilic manner in which Nigerian Public Officers think, and finally, speak in public.

We're in very serious trouble. This is just a test. Wait when The mountainous Lake Nyos breaks, that is when millions will die. Our government has been warned that the wall of Lake Nyos in Cameroun are cracking, and when it breaks, BILLIONS OF CUBIC METRES of water will be spilled into Nigeria. I'm sure the government of Cameroun released this dam water to test our preparedness.

We have an ignoramus for a President, a dunce for Minister of Information, an embezzler as Minister of Finance, and a thief as Minister of Petroleum...and you know there's more.
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by chidooh1: 4:16pm On Oct 31, 2012
I know Nigeria government will always support Cameroon out of fear in order not to be attacked. Big brother Africa, unstable giant of Africa. Do this to south Africa and see what their reaction would be.
Re: Cameroon Did No Wrong Flooding Nigeria – FG Official by 5much(m): 4:17pm On Oct 31, 2012
D government didnt do enough abt creating adequate information abt d flood.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If APC Survives A Year, Dont Call Me Okupe: GEJ Aide Boasts / Nigerian Army FULLY In Control Of MAFA / PHOTOS: Osinbajo Presides Over FEC Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.