Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities (33124 Views)

From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex / Why Do People Prefer To Give Their Building Project To Brick Layers? / Jarus CountryHome - A Journal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 8:57pm On Oct 31, 2012
Hi Everyone! We're building again and this construction journal serves as a record of the daily activity associated with the new project we're doing. The journal will be accessible to all interested parties (suppliers, subcontractors, decorators, architects, builders, prospective home owners and many others) but particularly useful to the owners of these beautiful project. The thread will serve as a record describing who was on site, what was done, problems that arose and progress made daily. Please feel free to post comments or questions to this thread.

So here we go again, bookmark or follow this thread to find out how it goes and I do hope this inspires you to get out and just do it.

Pics: As built pictures

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 10:43pm On Oct 31, 2012
The House

We're building 2 units of 4-bedroom fully detached single family house including 2-bedroom maid's quarters for each house in one of the fastest growing estate on the Lekki/Epe express corridor.

The Design

I love designing homes, so this was a great opportunity. We (myself and the home owners) took the layout principles we liked and worked tirelessly to make them work. We were able to wound up a functional design - spacious kitchen, more windows, large rooms, good flow and air circulation, more storage, and a really cool staircase. It's great working together with home owners.

Pics:

1. Rear Elevation
2. Front Elevation
3. Right Elevation

1 Like

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 11:09pm On Oct 31, 2012
Today, I finalized the construction contract for this project which means there's no turning back. We've signed off on the final plans, material lists, work schedule, and of course - the price. In the next few hours I'll be appending my signature on the contract document.

The project begins tomorrow with the Preliminary works.

Watch this space for the work schedules.

From Paper to Brick will attempt to be a guide for home owners looking to do exactly what my clients are doing: build a great, affordable home with no prior experience.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by donfidel(m): 11:14pm On Oct 31, 2012
Subscribing...
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by phyl123: 12:34am On Nov 01, 2012
Me too.......
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by Sagewood: 6:28am On Nov 01, 2012
@ Brabus,

Congrats on this job/ construction process.
Please try and include what items (template) were included in the contract
and how you arrived at the quality of materials to be used and the finishings.

1 Like

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 10:37am On Nov 01, 2012
IT'S NOW OFFICIAL: TIME TO START BUILDING

Before we commence work, I think it's fair to have Pre-construction meeting on site to explain the project plan in detail, access site for safety and security concerns so we can reduce inconveniences or losses in the construction. Loss in this case is not limited to materials, but time is of essence. I'll be meeting with stakeholders, supervisors and everyone working on this project to discuss salient issues.

Other things we'll be doing today includes:

1. Storage: where materials will be delivered and stored?
2. How rubbish is dealt with?
3. Providing accommodation for the site workers.
4. Dealing with factors that might cause the project to be delayed - Water
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 8:32pm On Nov 01, 2012
When beginning a construction project, it is important to take great care in properly setting up the foundation. The success of the project, whether it is a large house or small shop, relies heavily on the care and effort that has been put into the site preparation and layout. Today's meeting was fruitful.

We were able to secure accommodation for our workers, get a store to keep materials (temporarily), stake out the lot and and meet the big guys in the estate.

Why stake out the lot?

The reasons for doing this are twofold: economics and aesthetics. It costs money to clear the construction site (in fact, one Mr. Aboki Malam was charging me N15,000 to clear the 1350 sqm parcel of land). Since we know in advance what needs to be done, we decided to save some time and money by marking out the actual area we need to clear.

Also, we don't want to remove more trees than necessary and save the trees that don't really need to come down.

The Neighbourhood: One visit to this neighborhood and you'll agree, the community has a lot to offer.

Here are couple of still photos from the construction site:

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 9:11pm On Nov 01, 2012
1. The Land
2. Construction Works
3. Materials

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 9:42pm On Nov 01, 2012
Sagewood: @ Brabus,

Congrats on this job/ construction process.
Please try and include what items (template) were included in the contract
and how you arrived at the quality of materials to be used and the finishings.

Thanks so much sir. The contract for now is to supervise and provide labour to deliver the shell (foundation to roofing) of 2 units of 4-Bedroom fully detached duplex and 2 units of 2 Bedroom Maids quarters.

Of course, there's Specification document, Statement of Work (SOW) document and Project Schedule which are all attachments to the Contract Document.

I love the question asked here. As much as we get impatient–wanting to get past the small stuff (that really matters) to the big thing of having to see the house growing, it is very imperative to do a constant check on the small stuffs to avoid conflicts and issues.

I don't think we rushed things. We took our time to cross the t's and dot the i's.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 10:36am On Nov 02, 2012
It has been 1 day since this project has begun.

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 2:49pm On Nov 02, 2012
OUR DESIGN PASSED THE TESTS

Having met all requirements and received letter of compliance, we got the letter of authority to start construction.

Strict compliance and adherence to industry standard is of paramount importance to us and the estate managers.

We submitted the full set of Architectural drawings, Structural drawings and the M&E to the estate consultants on each aspect.
Our design were checked for comformity, functionality and safety.

We now have an approved construction documents and specs which gives me a shiver and thrill - we're gonna deliver this structure!
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 3:13pm On Nov 02, 2012
We are close to ground breaking. At that stage, we’ll have lots of photos to share of the construction progress.  In the mean time, here are a couple of screen grabs from the site.

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 1:37am On Nov 03, 2012
More view

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by spyder880(m): 5:43am On Nov 03, 2012
Congratulations my man, I know you will deliver this project, looking forward to seeing more action as the work starts grin

1 Like

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by mymadam(m): 2:47pm On Nov 03, 2012
Go on buddy... we are with you in the spirit & also physically on NL. You've done it before, you'll surely do it again. God bless Nigeria.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by jites(m): 4:22pm On Nov 05, 2012
Subcribing...Good luck on the project
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 4:46am On Nov 15, 2012
In the past few days, we’ve begin construction–and now there's physical or say con­crete evi­dence of all the hours of prep work we’ve put in in the past months.. Thanks today to our guy at MagicTouch Studio, who has given us a new look.

We're casting the ground beam today.

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 5:08am On Nov 15, 2012
Pic Update

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 5:11am On Nov 15, 2012
More Pic

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 5:20am On Nov 15, 2012
And more

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 10:28am On Nov 15, 2012
Pictures live from the construction site

1. Concrete work in progress
2. Filling sand coming in

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by babaeko1: 12:03pm On Nov 15, 2012
Another good educative post, can you please share the nature of the terrain and also who is supplying materials ? Is it the client ?

If I may also ask, is this a private or government estate and was the area water logged ?

Thanks.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 8:37pm On Nov 16, 2012
Live from construction site.

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 8:46pm On Nov 16, 2012
baba_eko: Another good educative post, can you please share the nature of the terrain and also who is supplying materials ? Is it the client ?

If I may also ask, is this a private or government estate and was the area water logged ?

Thanks.

Baba Eko, this is a private project and as can be seen the area isn't water logged.

Materials? We're doing that for the clients to meet up schedule. The project is meant to reach substantial completion stage by Dec. 15

That means the house should be roofed before Christmas.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 1:12am On Nov 17, 2012
Now it’s get­ting exciting. It’s start­ing to feel like the house we’ve been imag­in­ing, with the foundation walls that show the out­lines of the rooms as laid out on the land and a gen­eral phys­i­cal rep­re­sen­ta­tion of the house that will soon become a home.

Building a house is won­der­ful as you watch it become real.

Casting of unit 2 on my mind!
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 1:32am On Nov 17, 2012
What we've done!

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by ihebrooke(m): 7:44am On Nov 17, 2012
brabus: In the past few days, we’ve begin construction–and now there's physical or say con­crete evi­dence of all the hours of prep work we’ve put in in the past months.. Thanks today to our guy at MagicTouch Studio, who has given us a new look.

We're casting the ground beam today.

Congrats, my man. I just stumbled on this thread.

Its nice working with you(though I never had an idea that you were the one I talked to on phone, until I saw my design on this thread)

Please note, its now officially www.masterstouchstudios..com and not magic touch studios.

Goodluck and speedy delivery on your project.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 8:40am On Nov 17, 2012
We stand behind our work.

Site signboard erected.

Main Contractor: NextHome Builders
Architecture and 3D Rendering: Masters Touch Studio
Client: Nairaland Friends
Substantial Completion Date: December 2012

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 8:48am On Nov 17, 2012
ihebrooke:

Congrats, my man. I just stumbled on this thread.

Its nice working with you(though I never had an idea that you were the one I talked to on phone, until I saw my design on this thread)

Please note, its now officially www.masterstouchstudios..com and not magic touch studios.

Goodluck and speedy delivery on your project.

Thanks ihebrooke. You haven't failed me. In fact, my clients claim you are the best.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 10:17am On Nov 17, 2012
The Man Behind the Scene

Blogging is my life and Construction, my passion. The two process doesn’t always bring out the best in us. However, I do believe that research and open communication between owners and the contractors is the key to not get­ting ripped off or taken advan­tage of. My ratio­nale is that know­ing as much as pos­si­ble about architect’s work­ing ways, what builders do, how real­tors work and what the laws are con­cern­ing real estate and con­struc­tion will keep clients safe from preda­tory design­ers, builders, real­tors and lawyers.

Have a great weekend!

Greetings to all my friends especially my clients in Ile-Oluji. Happy Ile-Oluji Day!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

INTERIOR WALLPAPER AND 3D WALL PANEL / Whats D Minimum Cost Of Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex On Half Plot In Iyanaipaja / Families Disagree Over Building Renovation In Lagos - See What They Did (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.