Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Williams Sisters Urge African Women To Play Tennis - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Williams Sisters Urge African Women To Play Tennis (674 Views)

Ruby Igwe In An Open Letter Urge DANGOTE To Buy Man United Instead Of Arsenal / Asisat Oshoala Wins 2014 GLO/CAF African Women Player Of The Year / 2014 CAF African Women's Championship - Namibia 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Williams Sisters Urge African Women To Play Tennis by ballabriggs: 11:41pm On Oct 31, 2012
Williams sisters urge African women to play tennis

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:29pm GMT

* Serena, Venus in Nigeria to promote women's empowerment

* Sisters teaching tennis to children then playing match

By Tim Cocks

LAGOS, Oct 31 (Reuters) - For many African-American celebrities, visiting Africa satisfies a yearning to return to their distant ancestral homeland. Not so for tennis player Serena Williams.

"I'd love to say I'm from Africa, but we're from the United States and we're proud to be from there as well," she told reporters in Nigeria's business hub of Lagos on Wednesday, after a Nigerian reporter asked if perhaps she was originally from Nigeria.

"But my Mom named my sister (Venus) after an African name," she hastily added.

The Williams sisters and their mother are in Nigeria this week to promote women's tennis and empowerment of women on the continent. For Venus, it is her first time in Africa.

Taking their own successes in women's tennis, a sport which before them was dominated by white players, the sisters want to inspire women in the African continent to take up the sport and, more generally, to pursue their dreams despite whatever odds they face in male dominated societies.

"We were able to break the mould and win a lot of grand slams and change the face of tennis ... when tennis was very dominated by white people," 31-year-old Serena said three days after beating rival Maria Sharapova in the final of the WTA Championships in Istanbul.

"It doesn't matter what your background is and where you come from, if you have dreams and goals, that's all that matters," she added.

The sisters later conducted tennis classes with some children at a Lagos sports club. On Thursday, they will visit a school to discuss empowerment of girls then on Friday they will play an exhibition match against each other.

"We're very excited to be playing tennis here," Venus said. "Of all the finals everywhere ... this will be our final here in Nigeria.

"I don't know who's going to win but Serena just won the championship so I know she's ready. I'll have to play my best tennis." (Editing by Mark Meadows; mark.meadows@thomsonreuters.com; +44 20 7542 7933; Reuters Messaging:; mark.meadows.reuters.com@reuters.net)

Source
Re: Williams Sisters Urge African Women To Play Tennis by ballabriggs: 11:44pm On Oct 31, 2012
Una see am, dem done dey advice una again O.

Babes of nowadays, play football them no go gree. Basketball? You no go see them. Weightlifting kwanu? You wan kill them.

But when it comes to 'bedmatics', na there una go know say naija get world champion.

Sad, very sad I must say
Re: Williams Sisters Urge African Women To Play Tennis by Horus(m): 2:58am On Nov 01, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wPqKVYB4wc

Venus and Serena Williams champion - Women's rights in Nigeria

US tennis champions Venus and Serena Williams kick off an 'Africa tour' in Lagos, Nigeria, promoting women's rights. The sisters are backing a women's rights organisation campaign, "Breaking The Mould". They will give a lecture, attend a fund raising dinner and stage an exhibition tennis match during a four-day trip in Nigeria.
Re: Williams Sisters Urge African Women To Play Tennis by Horus(m): 2:41pm On Nov 01, 2012
[size=15pt]Serena and Venus Williams sisters inspire local kids in Nigeria[/size]

October 31 2012

[img]http://thegrio.files./2012/10/serena-nigeria-16x9.jpg?w=560[/img]
U.S. Tennis player Serena Williams, right, in action as she plays tennis with
a school child, during a clinic session in Lagos, Nigeria.

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — On their first visit to Nigeria, Serena and Venus Williams want to inspire local kids to set their goals high. “We were really able to break the mold and win a lot of Grand Slams and a lot of tournaments and not only that, but kind of change the face of tennis,” Serena said Wednesday before an exhibition match against her sister in Lagos on Friday. “We were able to break the mold in a sport that was really dominated by white people … it doesn’t matter what your background is and where you come from. If you have dreams, if you have goals, that’s all that really matters.” The sisters, accompanied by their mother Oracene Price, are in Nigeria’s largest city for the week. The sisters swatted tennis balls with local children at a private club on Ikoyi Island, home to diplomats and many of the nation’s wealthy. If they have their way, the sisters will be hitting tennis balls for at least another four years, all the way to the 2016 Rio Olympics. “It’s our main goal,” said the 31-year-old Serena, a three-time Olympic doubles gold medalist with Venus. “We were talking … about how we can’t wait to get to Rio. And obviously, bearing that we’re both healthy, that’s our goal to be there.” Venus, who is 32, agreed: “That’s what we’ve begun preparing for.” Venus and Serena have teamed to win 13 Grand Slam doubles titles and won Olympic gold in doubles in 2000, 2008 and 2012. Serena also won the singles gold this year, while Venus won it in 2000. Serena, who beat Maria Sharapova 6-4, 6-3 to win the WTA Championships final in Istanbul last week, is ranked No. 3 in the world. Venus, diagnosed last year with an autoimmune disease that causes fatigue, has struggled with illnesses and injuries in recent months and is ranked No. 24.

Source: http://thegrio.com/2012/10/31/serena-and-venus-williams-sisters-inspire-local-kids-in-nigeria/#s:serena-nigeria-16x9

(1) (Reply)

Is This Story About Nigerian Sensation Victor Moses True? / Why John Obi Mikel Should Have Been Named AFCON MVP / Sunday Mba. Goal.com's World Player Of D Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.