Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,104 members, 7,845,636 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* (1149 Views)

Olusegun Obasanjo And His Many Children From Different Wives(photos) / Saraki Spotted At The Cinema With His Children In Ilorin (photos) / Too Many Children On Nairaland Politics Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 5:30am On Nov 01, 2012
Really.

Is this an exaggeration or is this true?

What has Nigerian actively done to contract such statements?

Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by martyns303(m): 6:19am On Nov 01, 2012
Definatly not Nigeria. and poster are u 4rm SA?
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by ektbear: 7:16am On Nov 01, 2012
Books are expensive.

Library membership >>> individual book ownership.
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Mustay(m): 5:18pm On Nov 04, 2012
They don't own books, they borrow books!

If Eze owns a book, it must be for the family so that Chioma, Obinna, Emeka, Blessing and Kenneth make use of it at their respective stages of growing up.

Sadly, when foreign bodies or institutions provide aid in the form of supply of books for free distribution to school children for example, some shallow-minded selfish individuals divert the means and attempt to make use of it as a business venture!!!

Last week, the SSS was engaged by the FG to ensure that books distributed get to the intended users as was the purpose.
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 04, 2012
Please permit me to ask a dumb question: are there public libraries or museums in Nigeria? I have never seen any the time I stayed there, nor have I heard of any. No one needs to mention how important these are, not only for children's sake, but for culture and individual enlightenment as well.
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 04, 2012
ogugua88: Please permit me to ask a dumb question: are there public libraries or museums in Nigeria? I have never seen any the time I stayed there, nor have I heard of any. No one needs to mention how important these are, not only for children's sake, but for culture and individual enlightenment as well.

Same here.

Unless we're talking about University Libraries, I doubt Nigeria has PUBLIC libraries.

Before I start commenting, someone in Nigeria should answer these questions.
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 04, 2012
ogugua88: Please permit me to ask a dumb question: are there public libraries or museums in Nigeria? I have never seen any the time I stayed there, nor have I heard of any. No one needs to mention how important these are, not only for children's sake, but for culture and individual enlightenment as well.
there are. i grew up in PH and i used to frequent the state public library with my elder bros. just this June i was in lagos and i visited the lagos museum. thing is, most parents prefer to take their children to the cinema rather than to the libraries. but this advert or whatever it is is a slight to the average african. why are we always the focus of everything negative? why will they say MOST african children. abi exercise book no be book?

1 Like

Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 04, 2012
brokoto: there are. i grew up in PH and i used to frequent the state public library with my elder bros. just this June i was in lagos and i visited the lagos museum. thing is, most parents prefer to take their children to the cinema rather than to the libraries. but this advert or whatever it is is a slight to the average african. why are we always the focus of everything negative? why will they say MOST african children. abi exercise book no be book?

Can you please post pictures of the library, the inside and outside.

I hope it's not like Okija Juju's picture wey museum no get animal. Hopefully, these libraries have books, talkless of books in good condition.
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Mustay(m): 6:30pm On Nov 04, 2012

There are! haba!
www.nairaland.com/1043291/list-public-libraries-nigeria
Even in these times when children want to read not, I still see kids going to libraries after school. However, how do you expect them to have time for libraries especially duwing weekdays as schools organize what they call 'lesson' after school hours?
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 04, 2012
Here are a few more to add to the list already provided by @Mustay

Central Medical Library
Murtala Muhammed Way, Yaba, Lagos Mainland, Lagos, Nigeria

Reviewer (Aniema Obot): It is located in a conducive place.It is a very good place to go for research,I gathered a lot of material when i went there for research.

National Library of Nigeria
Sanusi Dantata House,Behind Nicon Plaza,Central Business District, Garki, Abuja, Nigeria

Reviewer (Philip Onyeador): a well deserved national library yet i still believe that a whole lot of the resource materials needs updating as most articles are out dated . but for archives i think they have good stock of them

Onitsha Divisional Library
Enugu Road, Onitsha North, Anambra, Nigeria

Reviewer (KE Okpala): I dont like the location of the library.What is more, the size of the library is small and barely accommodate few students.The last time i went there was when i was writing my project in 2009. Besides, I will advice the management to stop leasing part of the building to private remedial outfits.Infact, they need to improve on the kinds of books the have their.Most of them are outdated.

Fola Sasegbon Memorial Law
No 46 Akinsoji Street, Fadeyi – Igbobi Lagos.
Admission Fee: Users are admitted and allowed to access the Library resources upon registration, for an annual registration fee = N = 2,500 (two thousand five hundred Naira).

Beautiful Minds Children's Library
Plot 474 Jerome Hwande Street, Behind Bem hotel, (Before Shepherd Heritage Academy), Ankpa quarters ext , Makurdi, Benue State
Admission Fee: Library Annual Registration N3000; Literacy improvement class N2000/month

Source

1 Like

Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Mustay(m): 8:06pm On Nov 04, 2012
^^^ Thanks. Please you can add to the 'database' on that thread.

What library is that in the pic?

1 Like

Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 04, 2012
Mustay: ^^^ Thanks. Please you can add to the 'database' on that thread.

What library is that in the pic?

Done.

The Picture is for Fola Sasegbon Memorial Law Library
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by tpia1: 8:42pm On Nov 04, 2012
i dont know about the rest of africa, but when i was in nigeria, children owned books.
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by ektbear: 8:51pm On Nov 04, 2012
Hooray for libraries!
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 04, 2012
The last time I visited a Library was in 2004 when I was writing my project.there are 2 libraries in Owerri.one on Item street(national library) then the state library....can't remember where it is located in owerri.but meehn! Both of them are nothing to write home about.I don't know if they have been upgraded.
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 04, 2012
Nigerian Libraries (unknown source)

Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Mustay(m): 10:25pm On Nov 04, 2012
Am sure each state must have a National Library of Nigeria. The conditions of public libraries is another topic but there certainly are and I haven't even mentioned private libraries.
Back to the topic, we are losing the reading culture and experts do mention this anytime the result of WASSCE/NECO is released. What is worrisome is how textbooks are also being changed. So instead of using 'Understanding Mathermatics' from primary one to six, schools try to make money by changing the authorized textbooks for use in schools.
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by tpia1: 10:29pm On Nov 04, 2012
back to the topic, we are losing the reading culture

true that.

when I was a kid, we read everything from pacesetters to what have you.

and yes, most kids did buy and own their favorite books.

besides what was required reading in class.
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 04, 2012
National Library of Nigeria?

On average, how many libraries does each state have in Nigeria?
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by tpia1: 10:31pm On Nov 04, 2012
nigeria does not have a library culture as obtains in the west.

that, however, doesnt prevent anyone from reading, since libraries arent the only place where you can obtain books.
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 04, 2012
Free books, yes.

Earlier, someone mentioned the expensive financial burden of buying books in Nigeria. So how many people can actually afford to buy books not only for academic purposes, but also for entertainment reasons.
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 10:43pm On Nov 04, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

According to research carried out by Owoye and John-Okeke (2012), Lagos state has eleven public libraries and twenty local government libraries.

The libraries collections are poor. The entire public libraries’ collections in Lagos State cannot be more than 50,000 items, considering that the public library at the headquarters in Ikeja has about 4,820 items plus a few CDs and a few textbooks in accounting and business management; Ikorodu Divisional Library has a total collection of 4,500 items. Most of the books in the libraries are secondary-school books. Information materials in local languages are available at Ijebu, Egun, Hausa, and Igbo. Computers and Internet services are very minimal at the headquarters, Ikorodu, and Ilupeju divisional libraries. Some bound volumes of newspapers are available at Mainland Divisional Library at Yaba.

Reference:
Owoeye, J., & John-Okeke, R. (2012). Strategies for the Development of Public Libraries: A Survey of Selected Public Libraries in Lagos State, Nigeria. Public Library Quarterly, 31(3), 237–245. doi:10.1080/01616846.2012.684625
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Mustay(m): 10:46pm On Nov 04, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

The National Library of Nigeria came into effect in the mid 1960s, with the enactment of the National Library Act of 1964.

The construction of the Library began in 1962 and the Library was finally opened in November 1964. The headquarters was moved from Lagos to Abuja ca. 1995.

But the Nigerian civil war hampered funding and formal government actions were not taken until 1970. In 1970, a new legal precedent was set with the creation of the National Library decree, the decree was partly enacted on the advise of the board which wanted to expand the library to other state capitals in order to create a network of repositories of knowledge.

The library has failed to effectively expand to the 36 state capitals of the federation as designated by the library decree of 1970. In concert with the lack of facilities in the state capitals, a lack of adequate social amenities for the library staff in some state capitals is another obstacle to the library's development.

The library was established by an act - normally, it ought to be in each state as you can see. Anyway, that's for federal.

Similarly, states too have their own State Library Board under the Educaction Ministry + SUBEB. I can however not say if it's all states that do but I've seen some.

That's the work of Prof Ruqqayatu Rufai and the State Education Minstries.

With JAMB thinking of going digitally for their exams in 6 years time, it's not just about the library but having an e-library.

The advantage of a government-owned or sponsored library is the access to some materials you ordinarily may not get elsewhere.

These days, we must also remember that kids are being affected by what they see - the definition of success has been changed to a 'get rich quick or die tryin' syndrome and the entertainment scene seems to be okay, so wetin I wan read for when I fit comot skul, go sing and still 'make am'?
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Mustay(m): 10:50pm On Nov 04, 2012
It's also worthy to note that ironically, roadside sellers 'compete' with libraries as to the collection of books they have.

Some people sell their used books to them for the trader to resell!
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by tpia1: 10:51pm On Nov 04, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

Earlier, someone mentioned the expensive financial burden of buying books in Nigeria. So how many people can actually afford to buy books not only for academic purposes, but also for entertainment reasons.

Mustay: It's also worthy to note that ironically, roadside sellers 'compete' with libraries as to the collection of books they have.

Some people sell their used books to them for the trader to resell!
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 04, 2012
@Mustay,

Do you know when the new building is likely to be completed?

Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Mustay(m): 10:55pm On Nov 04, 2012
-Yes I know. It's x years time, where x is the unknown variable to Mustay! angry

wink
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Mustay(m): 10:56pm On Nov 04, 2012
grin

And it doesn't get newer until completed!!!
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by Nobody: 10:58pm On Nov 04, 2012
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by bigx(m): 4:27am On Nov 05, 2012
Nonsense, seriously, if they have a product to sell why distribute lies and insult the entire continent. If you go outside the country you'd be surprised about what they think of us.

2 Likes

Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by six33fourng: 6:38pm On Feb 01, 2023
Buy books online from your favourite bookstore in Nigeria. We have a veritable collection of books that span categories as diverse as you could possibly expect.

From segments like accountancy, to parenting and pregnancy, to banking and finance, to even topics on yoga and meditation – almost any category you seek you would books on it.

Apply to join the largest independent marketplace for book sellers today! In addition to helping us to support you and our fellow booksellers, you'll get:

Lowest fees and commissions of any commercial marketplace.
No monthly fee option — you don't pay if you don't sell.
Reach thousands times more people than a magazine ad, for a fraction of the cost

Visit - https://six33four.ng/bookstore/
Re: Many Children In Africa Never Own A Book. . . .*cringes* by dmz1: 7:22pm On Feb 01, 2023
there are. i grew up in PH and i used to frequent the state public library with my elder bros. just this June i was in lagos and i visited the lagos museum. thing is, most parents prefer to take their children to the cinema rather than to the libraries. but this advert or whatever it is is a slight to the average african. why are we always the focus of everything negative? why will they say MOST african children. abi exercise book no be book?

grin grin cheesy grin

(1) (Reply)

Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Adichie And The Limits Of Art, By Kehinde Owolabi / Osun Undergoes N67.6bn 996km Road Projects / $7.5 Billion Oil Refinery To Be Built In Cross River State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.