Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,721 members, 7,813,380 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider (7865 Views)

Top 10 Largest Cruise Ships In The World. / World’s Largest Shark Ever Caught / Microsoft Is Closing Hotmail And Moving Everyone To Outlook.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by sammietos(m): 3:25pm On Nov 01, 2012
Internet analytics firm comScore is putting an end to any disputes about Gmail's dominance in the webmail market -- in case you were keeping scores. According to their traffic data for October, Google’s email service has finally overtaken Hotmail with 287.9 million unique worldwide visitors during the month versus 286.2 million for Hotmail.

Google had already claimed the top spot by its own count of over 425 million active users in June 2012, up from 350 million in January. However, these numbers wildly differed from the 289 million reported by comScore at the time. It’s worth noting the research firm doesn’t track mobile usage.

Yahoo Mail ranked third with 281.7 million active users during October. Despite its position in the global market, the latter is still king in the US, with 76.7 million active users versus 69.1 million for Gmail and 35.5 million for Hotmail.

The number of unique visitors to all three email providers is down overall, which GigaOm speculates could be due to the recent introduction of Microsoft’s Outlook and AOL’s (still in closed beta) Alto.

http://www.techspot.com/news/50678-gmail-finally-overtakes-hotmail-as-worlds-top-email-service.html
http://tosinoluwalowo..com/2012/11/gmail-beats-hotmail-to-become-world.html

1 Like

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by Afam4eva(m): 3:33pm On Nov 02, 2012
I'm sorry but isn't Gmail supposed to be beating Yahoo? When did Hotmail become No 1. I though they got blodied some years back by Yahoo.
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by Ezedon(m): 3:35pm On Nov 02, 2012
Very good innovation, what about yahoo mail sad
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by seedord247(m): 3:35pm On Nov 02, 2012
This the work of android phones bcus there's no way you gonna own a android phone without using a gmail account. cool

16 Likes

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by pendusky(m): 3:36pm On Nov 02, 2012
I totz as much,yahoomail not realiable nowadays...
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 02, 2012
Seconded
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by timpaker(m): 3:37pm On Nov 02, 2012
just passing by... will be back with my comment. Please beer bear with me. Thanks. grin cool
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by fatdon2(m): 3:37pm On Nov 02, 2012
I think yahoo deserved to be ranked no 1, because of there large numbers of users.
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by purplekayc(m): 3:37pm On Nov 02, 2012
Gmail dey try
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by adoniza(m): 3:39pm On Nov 02, 2012
Gmail definitely, is the best. Althoug outlook is very fantastic as well.
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by sammietos(m): 3:39pm On Nov 02, 2012
afam4eva: I'm sorry but isn't Gmail supposed to be beating Yahoo? When did Hotmail become No 1. I though they got blodied some years back by Yahoo.

Yahoo mail actually ranks first only in the USA, these days most people settle for gmail accounts. One of the reasons is its compatibility with mobile devices.

1 Like

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by pecopeco: 3:39pm On Nov 02, 2012
seedord247: This the work of android phones bcus there's no way you gonna own a android phone without using a gmail account. cool
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by adoniza(m): 3:41pm On Nov 02, 2012
timpaker: just passing by... will be back with my comment. Please beer bear with me. Thanks. grin cool
Brain touch...lol
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by bluelaptop: 3:42pm On Nov 02, 2012
google seems to be takin over . Well don't blame for using gmail cos it's so cool
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by ghettodreamz(m): 3:42pm On Nov 02, 2012
I beg to disagree with their result, I don't know how they came up with their analyses but I believe Yahoo has always been the most widely used Email service provider service of all time, with Gmail being the second and Hotmail in the 3rd position. Anyway, all well are good..
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by Techwriter: 3:47pm On Nov 02, 2012
According to the report
The number of unique visitors to all three email providers is down overall,
One of the major reason for this is that more people are owning their own website and creating mails based on their domain names. It is more professional to have your company name as your email than using yahoo or gmail.

For instance, instead of having Nairaland@yahoo.com as Nairalands email, they have and if you are looking for Seun's contact I guess its --. You can have the same thing for your business when you build your website with us: your email becomes yourName@yourCompanyName.com.

Sounds great? Then own a website today and get started

2 Likes

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by anonymoux: 3:48pm On Nov 02, 2012
wow!!! Cool if you ask me
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by Iko5000: 3:53pm On Nov 02, 2012
Yahoo mail is mostly used in USA and and maybe Nigeria apart from that yahoo is not widely used in most countries.
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by bluelaptop: 3:54pm On Nov 02, 2012
ghettodreamz: I beg to disagree with their result, I don't know how they came up with their analyses but I believe Yahoo has always been the most widely used Email service provider service of all time, with Gmail being the second and Hotmail in the 3rd position. Anyway, all well are good..
well bro that was before google has proven to be very smart with the market strategy . Today hardly will surf through the net without being being tempted to create a google account which serves for all their services. Which ranges from youtube. GMAIL . Google+. gmap ........ .....................and definitely a must if you acquire a droid *wink*

2 Likes

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by fadamekus(m): 3:55pm On Nov 02, 2012
....[s][/s]
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by kellystech(m): 3:55pm On Nov 02, 2012
Hw are u doin
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by waleski(m): 3:56pm On Nov 02, 2012
ghettodreamz: I beg to disagree with their result, I don't know how they came up with their analyses but I believe Yahoo has always been the most widely used Email service provider service of all time, with Gmail being the second and Hotmail in the 3rd position. Anyway, all well are good..
U must be a world-class consulting firm to dispute this people's findings

1 Like

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by Kslib(m): 3:56pm On Nov 02, 2012
As for me oh.. My ranking goes like this.. from last to first...
Hotmail!! 4th
Yahoomail!! 3rd
Gmail!!! 2nd
Garr!mail!!! 1st

1 Like

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by RedLight1: 3:56pm On Nov 02, 2012
What do u expect.. Google has many website that will force u to register at gmail b4 u can use them.. E.g youtube, etc.. Sumtin hotmail dnt have.. Most
People dnt gmail as their personal account.. They only use it to access those sites i mentioned.. Unlike hotmail or live

2 Likes

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 02, 2012
As far I am concern GMAIL is the world's best email facility. The ideas and technical know to aid certain circumstances unknown to the providers of its importance was all invested in gmail where as those little things lacking in yahoo and Hotmail.

The list below;

1. Auto Saving of texts just in case of power outage.
2. Using a phrase you can remember to search an old email
3. Basic alternative to access your inbox just in case you have slow connection
4. Security - Notifying you of any unfamiliar IP just in case you logged into your account from an unusual location
5. Statement of your account activity grin
6. Unlimited Space.
7. Section dedicated for your documents
8. Less stressful registration form but uses phones numbers to authenticate genuine users

That's what I can remember now. Gmail initiated all the above interestingly I had had similar ideas by intuition of how an yahoo or hotmail should have restructured the email interface usage to meet that taste of satisfaction. Any day anytime I am down for a Google technology!

7 Likes

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by megasoul: 4:00pm On Nov 02, 2012
Larry page & his frnd are at it again. Quite some young innovative dudes
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by Dee60: 4:00pm On Nov 02, 2012
Irrelevant until we have ibukunmail, segunmail, okonkwomail, ibrahimmail, lindamail, seunmail.......must we forever celebrate the successes of others? Whither Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by seedord247(m): 4:02pm On Nov 02, 2012

First and foremost... Do you know what they call chrome??... Do you know about google free voice call to the US and canada..... Do you know about android phones and tablet.. E.g.. Samsung galaxy, google nexus... Just to name a few... There's no way you are going to make use of these products without registering with a gmail account.. Now do the statistics yourself....

2 Likes

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by Abujafood: 4:02pm On Nov 02, 2012
What happened to yahoo mail?
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by Koolking(m): 4:06pm On Nov 02, 2012
Are people still using hotmail? I can't remember the last time I checked my hotmail box. Gmail all the way.

check out the cool new feature "compose message right from your box

Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by OkwaIfugo(m): 4:13pm On Nov 02, 2012
love gmail so much especially their 2way phone text verification security.
gmail rocks.
Re: Gmail Beats Hotmail To Become World Largest Email Provider by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 02, 2012
afam4eva: I'm sorry but isn't Gmail supposed to be beating Yahoo? When did Hotmail become No 1. I though they got blodied some years back by Yahoo.

As far as i know, most people started using hotmail accounts before yahoo so i do not doubt that hotmail was always number 1. I even remember the days when people started moving from hotmail to yahoo in naija simply because the cybercafes back then always had server issues with hotmail. On the other hand, yahoo is a ghost now. They should have sold when microsoft offered to buy em out

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download Paid Android Apps For Free From Google Play Store / Whatsapp For Android Phone And Tablet Download Now | Www.whatsapp.com / How Are You Preparing For The Solar Eclipse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.