Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,136 members, 7,867,282 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 01:25 PM

Nairaland Censorship, Getting Out Of Hand? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland Censorship, Getting Out Of Hand? (609 Views)

Hand-text Of Senseless Senator / A Girl Asking My Hand For Marriage / Any Second-hand Book Stores Or Lending Libraries In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Censorship, Getting Out Of Hand? by micki83(m): 7:46pm On Nov 01, 2012
Hey fellow nairalanders! Abeg,no be say I wan find seun trouble o,but I just have to ask: is it just me or is nairaland-censorship becoming ridiculous?
Now,don't get me wrong,seun; I totally understand the need to create a family-friendly,"politically correct" forum,where people from different backgrounds with different ways of reasoning,can interact and feel comfortable.maybe this is for fear of offending anyone's sensibilities(or perhaps,to create a wider audience-base and increase the commercial appeal.who knows?).however,I think d rate of censorship on this site is becoming kind of ridiculous and sometimes,just plain silly.
A lot of times,I read articles here,whose words hav been censored within an inch of sanity.sometimes,I can't help wondering if I'm reading an article written by drunk nuns and monks.
Not to lie,the censoring takes away the meaning,"sweetness", and fun of a lot of write-ups.
Here are some of my favorite "cleaned-up" versions of some "dirty" words/phrases:
1)S.ex: this becomes "being intimate".now,correct me if I'm wrong,but when did "s.ex" become a profanity?I always thought it was the proper,biological term for intercourse btwn a man and a woman,or a description of a person's gender.with nairaland's conversion,I would imagine that a sentence such as:" she hasn't learnt the 's.ex' of her unborn child" would translate to something like: "she hasn't learnt the 'being intimate' of her unborn child".this doesn't really make much sense...or any sense,even!
2)P.enis: now,this is yet another biological term which is viewed as profanity by nairaland censorship board,and is therefore treated as such. A sentence like:"the patient presented with some inflammation around his 'p.enis'wuld go something like this: "the patient presented with some inflammation around his "manliness". Now,a translation like this would make a novice on nairaland wonder if the subject's masculine features(beards, muscles,deep voice,bald hair etc) were all inflammed.how does a baritone voice even become inflammed!lol.
3)V.agina: this is turned into "womanliness"(quite a mouthful,if u ask me).I won't even talk much about this one;just see the note on "manliness" above.
4)C.ock:okay,this one is actually quite funny,when it's not so annoying. I was reading a thread on old t.v shows sometime ago and someone mentioned the old NTA drama series "c.ock crow at dawn".well,needless to say,it became "rooster crow at dawn"(really seun,seriously?!). I literally fell out of my chair laughing at that one! "C.ock" wasn't even used in a dirty way in that context,yet they turned the whole thing around!
5)R.ape: believe it or not "r.ape" isn't actually a dirty or vulgar term.the act itself is reprehensible,but the word which describes it is not a slang,but a proper english term. In nairaland parlance,"r.ape" becomes "molestation"(irrespective of reference to proper grammar or context. For example,"the woman tried to "r.ape" the 18-year old boy" becomes: "the woman tried to "molestation" the 18-year old boy".this is just poor grammar and sounds ridiculous to the ears,lol.
another substitute for "r.ape" is "despoil"(is that even a real word?),hence, "the identity of the r.ape victim is still hidden" morphs into "the identity of the 'despoil' victim is still hidden"(now,dis one just makes the victim sound like egusi soup which has gone bad due to prolonged power-outtage.
6)V.ibrator: this one,I just stumbled upon recently,and I can't stop laughing!"V.ibrator" becomes "romance machine"(still can't stop laughing!what does that even mean?).it sounds like robot that gives out flowers and heart-shaped boxes of chocolate on valentine's day.lol
Okay,make I stop here.feel free to point out any other puzzling censorhip u've observed on nairaland.like I said b4 sha, "no be say I wan find trouble o"! Seun and moderators,I know say una no go gree put dis one for front page,but it's ok sha,lol.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

The Love Affair Of Adam Of Creation / How It All Started / Multi-talented- A Friend Said

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.