Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

You’ve Got An Attitude; No? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / You’ve Got An Attitude; No? (1030 Views)

I Got An Amazing Job / The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. / Got An Invite From Workforce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by Mbechun007: 1:41pm On Nov 02, 2012
Sorry, that’s the best title I could come up with smiley

Jokes apart though, this whole attitude business is a serious one. Managing a recruitment consultancy is quite demanding. Add to that my very unconventional approach to talent hunting then it becomes even more stressful. Unlike most recruitment agencies, when I see something wrong with an application, I take time out to let them know what they’ve gotten wrong and provide advice on what they can do to improve.

So I was going through some CVs while recruiting for a client. Two particular CVs caught my attention. The first one was a lady-she got the spelling of her name (Her name for crying out loud) wrong and the entire CV was sprinkled with typos and grammatical errors. The second was a guy-He sent me a CV he had sent to over 10 other prospective employers; I know because the lines that come with forwarded messages gave him away. As usual, I sent them both messages letting them know what the issue was and why they should hold themselves to higher standards.

Trouble.

Here’s a quote from the guy:
I do appreciate your concerned but what do you expect from an applicant who can not afford to go to cyber cafe and send an application?, also i am of the opinion that as a human being we are born to make mistake, and learn from your mistakes, pls can u also check the scrutinize ur words and see your mistake, have a good day.

The lady had this to say:
Good day,thank you for the correction,but please also take note that no one is beyond errors…I have worked with this organization for 7yrs,and if i am not a detailed person i guess i wouldn’t have worked this long.

Can anyone see the number of errors in their one paragraph responses?
I let them know one crucial fact: they are job hunting, not me, so the onus is on them to prove themselves, not the other way round. From a recruitment point of view, I took out my very valuable time to explain attributes I can deduce from their responses above. You can tell a lot about a person and their thought process from how they write…

Maybe I shouldn’t have bothered, because their responses were a lot worse. The lady signed off with ‘good radiance’, I take it she means 'good riddance'. The guy tells me he’s working and to keep my job. Phew!

In their haste to make a point they forget that I will still post jobs they may be interested in but they may never be able to apply because they’ve bungled their chances; and it all boils down to their attitude.

So here’s the moral of the story:
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
You can’t keep making excuses for why you can’t succeed.
You cannot progress if you cannot deal with criticism.
Your words and actions have a vibe, they tell your story. One paragraph can tell a recruiter if you are detailed, sloppy, rude, haughty or downright careless.
Never respond in writing when you are angry. Writing is never a good way to resolve grievance. A lot can be misconstrued because of the absence of audio and body language. Take a breather, sleep; watch a movie or something. When you are calm and your emotions under check, only then should you try to let the other person know how you feel.
You can’t keep walking around with your nose in the air. You won’t make it anywhere in this knowledge-based economy where Fortune 500 companies recruit based on emotional intelligence.
As a new entrant into the job market you are perceived as a greenhorn, someone with a lot of enthusiasm and not a lot of practical knowledge. Be humble enough to learn from those who’ve been there before you. Try not to take yourself too seriously, laugh at your mistakes and make a personal commitment to execute with excellence anything your hands find to do.
Your attitude will open doors or keep them shut; remember that.
You know I mean well right?
Have yourself a wonderful day.
Xoxo

Naomi Lucas
Graduate Pro

www.graduatepro.wordpress .com

Follow us on twitter @GraduatePro

1 Like

Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by Pacify: 2:35pm On Nov 02, 2012
This is one of the most beautiful write-ups I've seen or come across on nairaland.

Truth be told, I have had similar experiences with what you posted about people's attitude.

Many young graduates are not willing to be patient and take correction. Just the other day I interviewed a boy of about 25 who said he just left his former employment because he felt offended that he should be put on suspension for violating office rules.
Another one left his employment because he had a minor rift with his boss's daughter.
People should be willing to be humble and loyal as long as you are seeking out employment.

Thanks once again for such beautiful write-up. Keep up the good work

1 Like

Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by joy86: 11:36am On Nov 03, 2012
Nice one

1 Like

Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by magnificio(m): 5:34pm On Nov 03, 2012
Hi, @post, you manage a recruitment agency, please, can i get your address and email, i'm currently looking for a job, and i could use a few pointers in drawing up a decent CV, just looking at the one i have now depresses me. My email: mannixuchechi.nk@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

1 Like

Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by Mbechun007: 12:10pm On Nov 14, 2012
Pacify: This is one of the most beautiful write-ups I've seen or come across on nairaland.

Truth be told, I have had similar experiences with what you posted about people's attitude.

Many young graduates are not willing to be patient and take correction. Just the other day I interviewed a boy of about 25 who said he just left his former employment because he felt offended that he should be put on suspension for violating office rules.
Another one left his employment because he had a minor rift with his boss's daughter.
People should be willing to be humble and loyal as long as you are seeking out employment.

Thanks once again for such beautiful write-up. Keep up the good work

Thank you so much pacify. Tell them o smiley
Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by Mbechun007: 12:11pm On Nov 14, 2012
Thanks Joy86
Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by Mbechun007: 12:13pm On Nov 14, 2012
magnificio: Hi, @post, you manage a recruitment agency, please, can i get your address and email, i'm currently looking for a job, and i could use a few pointers in drawing up a decent CV, just looking at the one i have now depresses me. My email: mannixuchechi.nk@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

Hi Mannix, are you the same person on the GraduatePro blog? Please check www.graduatepro.. we are currently treating CV and cover letter writing on the blog. You can also send your CV to info.graduatepro@gmail.com with your name as the subject so I can take a look @ it yeah?

Cheers.
Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 14, 2012
@Mbechun007, plz i will send u a mail, kindly go thru it. Regards.

1 Like

Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by lolu84(m): 6:44pm On Nov 14, 2012
Good write up with nice moral. Please ʊя̲̅ help is needed, am looking for job. Loluchampion@yahoo.co.uk dt's м̣̣̥̇̊ɣ mail. Send urs so that I can forward м̣̣̥̇̊ɣ CV τ̅☺ you for review. Anticipating τ̅☺ hearing frm u̶̲̥̅̊. Thanks

1 Like

Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by ciwi: 8:17am On Nov 15, 2012
Beautiful write-up. I sent a mail to u. Really hope to hear from u soon. God bless.

1 Like

Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by lolu84(m): 10:12am On Nov 15, 2012
@ciwi, pls forward †ђξ mail address τ̅☺ ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ @ loluchampion@yahoo.co.uk

1 Like

Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by ciwi: 10:32am On Nov 15, 2012
Mbechun007:

Hi Mannix, are you the same person on the GraduatePro blog? Please check www.graduatepro.. we are currently treating CV and cover letter writing on the blog. You can also send your CV to info.graduatepro@gmail.com with your name as the subject so I can take a look @ it yeah?

Cheers.
@lolu84 Dats †ђε email add right there
Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by Mbechun007: 10:11am On Nov 19, 2012
@Constanz11, have you sent the mail?
Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by magnificio(m): 6:20pm On Nov 20, 2012
hi, Naomi. Yes, that's me. And i sent a copy of my c.v today. I titled it "review my c.v please.
Looking forward to your reply. Thanks a million.

1 Like

Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by Mbechun007: 4:52pm On Nov 21, 2012
magnificio: hi, Naomi. Yes, that's me. And i sent a copy of my c.v today. I titled it "review my c.v please.
Looking forward to your reply. Thanks a million.

Oh, you smiley. I've reviewed it, you should receive it shortly.

Cheers.
Re: You’ve Got An Attitude; No? by magnificio(m): 11:09am On Nov 22, 2012
hello, i sent it again with the title 'Mannix' hope you get it this time. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Golden Sugar Company Ltd / Ernst And Young Recruiting In Several Positions / KPMG Graduate Trainee Recruitment And How To Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.