Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? (1227 Views)

Intercom,Network Data, Cabling Installation for Office in Nigeria (Pictures) / Rj45 Crossover Cabel Configuration / Fibre Optic Cabling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? by HERO111: 10:34am On Jan 30, 2008
Guys,
pls i want to link a switch to a switch on a lan some distance apart. its being working dat way b4 not until somebody mistakenly cut d wire with a lorry, and after replacement it doesnt work anymore.
So to connect switch to switch is it crossover or straightthrough cabling method? and what could be the reason its not connected?
pls help
thnx
Re: Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? by Jean2(m): 10:56am On Jan 30, 2008
Possible reasons why the replacement cable may not work: > sub-standard cable (there are too many 'fake' ethernet cables in the market these days > bad crimping (you can verify if the cable is well crimped using a lan tester, in the absence of which u may physically examine and ensure that the right cable colour at one RJ45 end matches the other for straight - through cable, check u have a rollover if rollover cable is used.

Most modern switch support autosensing technology i.e. the switch will automatically detect the type of cabling used either straight-through or rolled over and operate accordingly.
Re: Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? by Jean2(m): 10:59am On Jan 30, 2008
Possible reasons why the replacement cable may not work: > sub-standard cable (there are too many 'fake' ethernet cables in the market these days > bad crimping (you can verify if the cable is well crimped using a lan tester, in the absence of which u may physically examine and ensure that the right cable colour at one RJ45 end matches the other for straight - through cable, check u have a rollover of what you have at one RJ45 end at the other end, if rollover cable is used.

Most modern switch support autosensing technology i.e. the switch will automatically detect the type of cabling used either straight-through or rolled over and operate accordingly.  If your switch doesn't support autosensing then use rolled over cabling.
Re: Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? by HERO111: 11:53am On Jan 30, 2008
Jean thnx alot for ur contribution,
i tested the cable with the tester and it read perfectly well. but when i tried it on the switch it ddnt even detect the connection.
I used crossover for switch to switch, but ve forgotten whether its supposed to be straightthrough or so.
thnx still expecting more contributions
Re: Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? by mmonwuba(m): 1:48pm On Jan 30, 2008
Hi,
if you are connecting from a switch to the uplink of another switch, you use a straight cable but if you are connecting from a switch port to another switch port, you use a crossed cable. Dont forget the config of cross cables (1-3, 2-6). For the cable request the use of a cat 5 out door ethernet cable. This one has a stronger shield on it to prevent interferance which is usually the major cause of loss of connectivity. Now adays, with the fake technlogy in town, ethernet cables standard is no longer 100 meters, infact sometimes, far less than 50m.
Re: Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? by stanech: 1:57pm On Jan 30, 2008
Please if you are still having this problem change the cable.
Only yesterday I had the same problem I when I changed the cable totally it worked.
Too many bad cables in the market. smiley
Re: Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? by paribus(m): 11:26pm On Jan 30, 2008
HERO111:

Guys,
please i want to link a switch to a switch on a lan some distance apart. its being working that way before not until somebody mistakenly cut d wire with a lorry, and after replacement it doesnt work anymore.
So to connect switch to switch is it crossover or straightthrough cabling method? and what could be the reason its not connected?
please help
thnx

What distance is involved in here, especially if it was great enough to span the path usually taken by vehicles. If it is more than 100m, then your normal Cat 5, 5e, 6 UTP won't work and not advised. Don't have much to say beyond what has already been contributed, only got interested in the 'distance' you mentioned. Regards
Re: Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? by suprman: 5:40pm On Jan 31, 2008
thx all contributor on this post, considering the fact that it worked with a cable b4 and now its not working again like i staed earlier, someone advised i use radio device to connect the two points. basically the distance should be about 97m .
and if u subscribe to this radio stuff what type or capacity will u advise?
i thinking going for radios by the time i configure wireless.
God bless u,
Re: Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? by ishmael(m): 6:10pm On Jan 31, 2008
If the 2 switches are going to be on the same LAN use a straight cable it will work very well; mind you the length of the cable matters o, it should not exceed 100m.
Re: Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? by oldie(m): 9:24pm On Jan 31, 2008
Wireless will be un-economical for a 97metre link
Your best bet is still cable
Re: Straightthrough Or Crossover Cabling, Which Should I Use Pls? by mmonwuba(m): 5:35pm On Feb 02, 2008
With the poor quality of cables in the market today, like i said earlier, It would be difficult for you to cover a 97m distance with cables. He might not have a choice but to go for wireless. Wireless would even prevent a hight vehicle from cutting the wires a second time. Go for wireless my brother, if u can afford it.

(1) (Reply)

Choosing A Catchy Easy To Remember Domain Name / Yes, Mtnfastlink/etisalat Zte Mf 627 Modem Can Now Be Unlocked (without Box) / Can I Get A 4gig Ram/2.30ghz Cpu For 80k?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.