Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? (2019 Views)

Biafra Did Not Die A Peaceful Death In 1970, Her Spirit Reawakened By PMB. / Why Did Igbos Like Forcing Themselves On Other Minorities In SS Zone / Biafra Did Not Surrender – Achuzia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Nobody: 12:32am On Nov 03, 2012
I've always wondered about this rarely mentioned aspect of the Biafran War.

Going by the various debates on the topic, a visitor from outer space would be forgiven for thinking the war was strictly between Nigeria AND the Igbos.

But the territory of Biafra also included the various lands and ethnicities located south and south west of Igboland - the Efiks, the Ijaws, the Ogonis, the Anyangs, the Ibibios, the Kalabari, the Ikwerres etc etc.

These of course are the oil producing regions whose multi-billion dollar industry lies at the very heart of the modern Nigerian economy.

A few questions: Since Ojukwu's reason for declaring secession was the 'oppression of the Igbos', why did he include the non-Igbo oil-rich riverine areas in his newly-declared nation?

Did they ask to be included?

Was the decision to rope them in democratically reached, with the agreement of those people?

Or were they forced into the new republic at the barrel of an Igbo-held gun?

If Biafra had won, who would have controlled those oilfields?

Igbos?

Would they have become the new oligarchs, suppressing the rights of the riverine people who owned the oil?

What chances would a riverine politician have had to emerge president of Biafra considering the Igbo majority?

What chances are there that Ojukwu would have surrendered power to a democratically elected president after leading Biafra to triumph?

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by NegroNtns(m): 1:09am On Nov 03, 2012
The people of the coast are the rightful and proprietary owners of the name "Biafra". Biafra was coined from bight of Biafra. Alaigbo has no presence on the waters forming this bight. The name itself Biafra was given by European sailors to denote the midsection belt of Africa.....Bi-Afra.
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by NegroNtns(m): 1:16am On Nov 03, 2012
ROSSIKE: I've always wondered about this rarely mentioned aspect of the Biafran War.

Going by the various debates on the topic, a visitor from outer space would be forgiven for thinking the war was strictly between Nigeria AND the Igbos.

But the territory of Biafra also included the various lands and ethnicities located south and south west of Igboland - the Efiks, the Ijaws, the Ogonis, the Anyangs, the Ibibios, the Kalabari, the Ikwerres etc etc.

These of course are the oil producing regions whose multi-billion dollar industry lies at the very heart of the modern Nigerian economy.

A few questions: Since Ojukwu's reason for declaring secession was the 'oppression of the Igbos', why did he include the non-Igbo oil-rich riverine areas in his newly-declared nation?

Was the decision to rope them in democratically reached, with the agreement of those people?

Igbos?

Would they have become the new oligarchs, suppressing the rights of the riverine people who owned the oil?

What chances would a riverine politician have had to emerge president of Biafra considering the Igbo majority?

What chances are there that Ojukwu would have surrendered power to a democratically elected president after leading Biafra to triumph?

Gej would still be shoeless if Ojukwu had won. We all trully need to see and applaud the vision of Gowon and Awolowo in reintegrating the nation.
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Ngodigha: 1:39am On Nov 03, 2012
This idiotic thread is laughable. That Ojukwu declared secession because of Igbo safety. You must be a joke.
Not Only Ndigbo were killed in the north but other easterners. It wasn't just an Igbo affair, but the Igbo suffered most because they constitute 70% of Eastern Nigeria.
I do not know why no brainers keep starting senseless threads nowadays. What a shame

4 Likes

Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Nobody: 6:06am On Nov 03, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Gej would still be shoeless if Ojukwu had won. We all trully need to see and applaud the vision of Gowon and Awolowo in reintegrating the nation.
what have you and your family gained from the reintergration? Are you better off now as a nigerian? Don't you ever dream of having Odua as a nation? What has been the situation of the country since Gowon and Awolowo reintergrated Nigeria? Has it been better or worse?
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by NegroNtns(m): 6:26am On Nov 03, 2012
berem: what have you and your family gained from the reintergration? Are you better off now as a nigerian? Don't you ever dream of having Odua as a nation? What has been the situation of the country since Gowon and Awolowo reintergrated Nigeria? Has it been better or worse?

If we created a Yoruba nation would you become a Yoruba citizen?
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Nobody: 6:43am On Nov 03, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

for wetin? I dey craze? Nothing in this world is gonna stop me from being a Full Blooded Igbo! Even if I live outside my native homeland,that does not warrant me to deny where I come from.
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by dayokanu(m): 6:56am On Nov 03, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Dem go dey beg for visa to come in
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by NegroNtns(m): 8:09am On Nov 03, 2012
berem: for wetin? I dey craze? Nothing in this world is gonna stop me from being a Full Blooded Igbo! Even if I live outside my native homeland,that does not warrant me to deny where I come from.

Dont worry about your blood aggregate, that issue will be handled separately. I am asking you a political question. If we create Yoruba sovereingty would you be interested in citizenship?
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by NegroNtns(m): 8:12am On Nov 03, 2012
dayokanu:

Dem go dey beg for visa to come in

No mind dem....dem dey yab Fashola tollgate, they will see mother of all tollgates when that day comes. In fact I want to be the one in charge of the tollgate..... Dem neva see, yanmiri go holler!
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 03, 2012
It's funny how people continue to wet their pants on the mention of the name Biafra. What you can't stop by developing silly threads like this is the sustained aggressive progress of my people in all spheres of life. More heart warming is the new found wave of homogeneity of interests going on in the Eastern region. Continue to whine, it will happen so fast......
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by ijawcitizen(m): 8:46am On Nov 03, 2012
Instead of these Igbos to give answers to the issues/questions raised, they rather attack/abuse the person verbally.

Typical Igbo tactics-if you don't like the person is saying, attack/kill him.

I wonder what would have been the situation of my people had Biafra succeeded. I know for sure there would of been another round of conflict therein where Ijaw especially would be tagged "ungrateful Rebels"

4 Likes

Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 03, 2012
Can Nigerians for once stop talking about some past political trash & focus on how to make this country grow sporadically?
Take a look @ other oil rich countries & borrow a leaf from them.
Ojukwu is dead(may he RIP), Gowon is alive but only them & God knew what transpired @ the Aburi meeting. All this senseless arguments isn't called for because it actually ends here in NL but leaves some NLanders(those with myopic view) bitter & angry.
Peace is priceless, violence is senseless. Shun verbal or any form of violence & give peace a chance. Thank YOU fellow NIGERIANS

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by KENESAGA(m): 9:34am On Nov 03, 2012
PLS MODS, STOP ALLOWING THIS KIND OF THREAD, IT'S DRIVING THIS HATRED DEEPER INTO NLDAS HEARTH, YOU SHOULD STOP ALLOWING TRIBAL THREADS UNLESS IT'S A NEWS, NOT SOMEBODY OPENING SUCH THREAD. NO TRIBE IS PERFECT, WE ALL HAVE OUR FLAWS.
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Nobody: 9:45am On Nov 03, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Dont worry about your blood aggregate, that issue will be handled separately. I am asking you a political question. If we create Yoruba sovereingty would you be interested in citizenship?
NO I WON'T!
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by KENESAGA(m): 9:49am On Nov 03, 2012
AGAIN, I'VE COME TO DISCOVER THAT MOST TRIBALY SENSITIVE THREADS ARE BEING STARTED AGAINST IGBOS BY NON-IGBOS, IF U CLAIM U AR NOT TRIBALISTIC, THEN STOP SUCH ATTITUDE AND BE MATURED, NO TRIBE IS A SAINT.
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 03, 2012
ijaw citizen: Instead of these Igbos to give answers to the issues/questions raised, they rather attack/abuse the person verbally.

I wonder what would have been the situation of my people had Biafra succeeded. I know for sure there would of been another round of conflict therein where Ijaw especially would be tagged "ungrateful Rebels"

Oju-iku was a spoilt brat who UNILATERALLY declared the whole of defunct eastern region as a sovereign territory.Biafra was and will always be an ibo agenda !
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:57am On Nov 03, 2012
ijaw citizen: Instead of these Igbos to give answers to the issues/questions raised, they rather attack/abuse the person verbally.

^^^Well we can only go on what we know; compare how your people (Ijaws) were treated by and have related with Igbos over the centuries prior to 'Nigeria' getting involved in our 'relationship'......compare that with the way your people have been treated by 'Nigeria' from the late 60's to date: Adaka Boro; Saro-Wiwa; Odi; distant desert oligarchs controlling your oyel fields; environmental pollution and degredation; criminal neglect of Ijaws in Nigerias' political-economy prior to GEJ; unfair oil revenue derivation; etc-etc-etc.

Of course Igbos were a majority in the old eastern region, but going by what you know of Igbos; their culture/values/attitude to work/sense of justice and republican nature.....going by all these parameters, do you really think you would have gone through what you've been through in Nigeria before you're recognized as political and economic equals?; do you really think your lands would be as they are today with no world-class infrastructure but environmental pollution and devastation everywhere?

Go to all the oil coys in Port Harcourt and Warri and tell me which ethnicity has been criminally taking advantage of this 'one Nigeria' (maybe things are changing slightly now with GEJ) as if say na only dem wey sabi petroleum/chemical engineering.

Shine your eyes bruh, as you're being sold the same dummy Adaka Boro and Saro-Wiwa were sold in the late 60's; whatever differences you imagine you have with Ndigbo are differences between cousins/neighbours and will always be overcome with a little dialogue as has been done for centuries.

7 Likes

Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Standing5(m): 11:44am On Nov 03, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Well we can only go on what we know; compare how your people (Ijaws) were treated by and have related with Igbos over the centuries prior to 'Nigeria' getting involved in our 'relationship'......compare that with the way your people have been treated by 'Nigeria' from the late 60's to date: Adaka Boro; Saro-Wiwa; Odi; distant desert oligarchs controlling your oyel fields; environmental pollution and degredation; criminal neglect of Ijaws in Nigerias' political-economy prior to GEJ; unfair oil revenue derivation; etc-etc-etc.

Of course Igbos were a majority in the old eastern region, but going by what you know of Igbos; their culture/values/attitude to work/sense of justice and republican nature.....going by all these parameters, do you really think you would have gone through what you've been through in Nigeria before you're recognized as political and economic equals?; do you really think your lands would be as they are today with no world-class infrastructure but environmental pollution and devastation everywhere?

Go to all the oil coys in Port Harcourt and Warri and tell me which ethnicity has been criminally taking advantage of this 'one Nigeria' (maybe things are changing slightly now with GEJ) as if say na only dem wey sabi petroleum/chemical engineering.

Shine your eyes bruh, as you're being sold the same dummy Adaka Boro and Saro-Wiwa were sold in the late 60's; whatever differences you imagine you have with Ndigbo are differences between cousins/neighbours and will always be overcome with a little dialogue as has been done for centuries.
The ss should thank their God because they are still alive to witness the above, when O'J declared them part of Biafra there was hardly any chance to witness above injustice.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Kemy11(m): 11:48am On Nov 03, 2012
Go and read the history of the civil war b4 u say something most ppl here rely on informations given to u by ur grandmothers or grandfathers who only witness the war in one locality. As for our south south brothers ojukwu did what he thought was best for the then easterners. Blame gowon and others who breached the Aburi agreement. He who runs away from history is condemned to repeat it. Igbo kwenu!!!

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by CyberG: 3:54pm On Nov 03, 2012
berem: for wetin? I YOU dey craze? YES! Nothing in this world is gonna stop me from being a Full Blooded Igbo! Even if I live outside my native homeland,that does not warrant me to deny where I come from.

So when will you carry your fat, UGLY face back to buhafra and leave Lagos ALONE? Your native buhahafra is NOT good enough to live in because you might be the next to be kidnapped, rape.d, sacrificed or eaten for FOOD by yiboe CANNIBALS? There is NO full blooded ibo anywhere who does NOT live in alayiboz.
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Chyz2: 4:44pm On Nov 03, 2012
The Igbo man's nuts can always be found on the tongue of the yoruba man. Sad,but the truth. This thread is a good example.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Dede1(m): 5:36pm On Nov 03, 2012
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Dede1(m): 5:37pm On Nov 03, 2012
ROSSIKE: I've always wondered about this rarely mentioned aspect of the Biafran War.

Igbos?

There is no doubt you are idiotically ill-informed. If not, you could not have conjured the crap such as “Since Ojukwu's reason for declaring secession was the 'oppression of the Igbos', why did he include the non-Igbo oil-rich riverine areas in his newly-declared nation?”

I know with time, you will show your true color as Edo peep. Ojukwu never reasoned for anything in declaring secession except for the lack of guarantee of safety for the easterners residing in other parts of Nigeria baring eastern region.
In addition, the eastern consultative body consisted members of eastern house of assembly even dissolved they were still the mouthpiece of the people of eastern region.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2012
CyberG:

So when will you carry your fat, UGLY face back to buhafra and leave Lagos ALONE? Your native buhahafra is NOT good enough to live in because you might be the next to be kidnapped, rape.d, sacrificed or eaten for FOOD by yiboe CANNIBALS? There is NO full blooded ibo anywhere who does NOT live in alayiboz.
This son of a bleeding c...unt won't stop following me around and calling me fat and ugly face as if he has seen me before! What a moronic element! What makes you different from your riff raff brothers in mushin? What a waste of fertilization of your father's s..perm and your mother's ovum.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Nobody: 12:02am On Nov 04, 2012
Dede1:

There is no doubt you are idiotically ill-informed. If not, you could not have conjured the crap such as “Since Ojukwu's reason for declaring secession was the 'oppression of the Igbos', why did he include the non-Igbo oil-rich riverine areas in his newly-declared nation?”

I know with time, you will show your true color as Edo peep. Ojukwu never reasoned for anything in declaring secession except for the lack of guarantee of safety for the easterners residing in other parts of Nigeria barring eastern region.

What govt can provide a ''guarantee of safety'' for anybody?

Do you think it was a coincidence that Ojukwu declared secession the day after Gowon announced the 12 state solution, which would have limited Ojukwu's powers to the East-Central State Igbo heartland?

In addition, the eastern consultative body consisted members of eastern house of assembly even dissolved they were still the mouthpiece of the people of eastern region.

And this ''consultative body'' had an Igbo majority, correct?
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Onlytruth(m): 12:34am On Nov 04, 2012
Chyz*:
The Igbo man's nuts can always be found on the tongue of the yoruba man. Sad,but the truth. This thread is a good example.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Una go kill pesin for Nairaland. cheesy cool cool cool
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by odumchi: 6:05am On Nov 04, 2012
ROSSIKE: But the territory of Biafra also included the various lands and ethnicities located south and south west of Igboland - the Efiks, the Ijaws, the Ogonis, the Anyangs, the Ibibios, the Kalabari, the Ikwerres etc etc.

I just couldn't resist the need to point out something that I noticed.

In the country of Biafra, the idea of Ikwere as an ethnic group separate and distinct from Igbo was nonexistent. Ikwere "seceded" from the Igbo nation in the post-war years.

Ndeewo nu.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Nobody: 6:12am On Nov 04, 2012
Mr Achebe displays his scewed and totally wrong position by saying he was "dismayed" by a 1966 publication called "The Nigerian Situation: Facts and Background", which demonstrated the complete unfairness existing in Nigeria where 45% of managers were Igbo, over 50% of the posts in Nigerian Railways, over 70% of posts in Nigeria Ports Authority and foreign service were occupied by Igbos. Remember the Igbos account for only 18% of Nigeria's total Nigerian population.

[quote][/quote]
https://www.nairaland.com/1092925/achebe-got-it-all-wrong
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by Nobody: 6:17am On Nov 04, 2012
In the chapter "The Dark Days", Mr Achebe, having minimized the coup as "non-tribal and one led by Junior officers protesting corruption and decay", starts railing against other tribes when they took revenge, rightfully so, against the Igbos who had killed their most senior leaders. He says that in a country where tribalism is endemic, the "rumor of an Igbo Coup" began to gain acceptance. I find it unbelievable that Mr Achebe would take such a position. This January 1966 coup, WAS AN IGBO COUP, there is no doubt about it, and denying that will not further Achebe's goal of reducing tribalism in Nigeria.

In the same chapter, he says that other tribes started attacking Easterners, taking out their resentment against the Igbos who "had led the nation in every sector - politics, education, commerce and arts and had driven out the colonizing British from Nigeria". This comment brings two points to light. He tries to portray "Easterners" as one victimized group but this is not truth. As he said before, many minority Easterners "dreaded the prospect of Igbo domination", hence their joining of the Yoruba "Action Party" group.

Second point is that he tries to portray other tribes as being driven by envy at Igbo's success. Mr Achebe, remember the Igbos triggered this by launching a coup and killing people from other tribes. Second, a nation will never be united if one group dominates all the rest. This is the biggest mistake we have in Africa. One tribe tries to dominate and shut out others, the others fight back and we all end up losing, just as we see in Nigeria, and so many African nations. So Mr Achebe, please try to be far sighted and use your talent to guide your Nigerian people (all tribes) to be more unified and not celebrate the Igbos for dominating the rest, and congratulating them for being superior, or for being the "Jews of Africa" as has been said before.

https://www.nairaland.com/1092925/achebe-got-it-all-wrong#12822827
Re: Biafra: Did Igbos Force The South South People To Join Rebellion? by otokx(m): 8:12am On Nov 04, 2012
knowledge is power

(1) (Reply)

Why I Don't Want Nigeria's Division / I Will Resign If Jonathan Did Not Seek Re-election-gulak / Breaking News!!! US Gov Re-admits Nigeria Back Into The Diversity Visa Lottery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.