Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? (13490 Views)

Is It Biblical To Pray For Peace In The Endtime? / Election Of Church Leaders By Voting: Is It Biblical? / Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by chikeorji123(m): 12:20pm On Nov 04, 2012
AT bbfever well narrated
[b]THREAD CLOSE!!
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by ghettodreamz(m): 12:20pm On Nov 04, 2012
Enjoy HERE -------------->>>>>>>>>>>> http://christiansinglez./2009/07/08/praying-for-a-spouse/
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Emmyvans: 12:39pm On Nov 04, 2012
Well, Phil 4:6 says that we should not worry about anything and that with prayer n supplication with thanksgiving, our requests should be made known to God.
So lemme just simply add, if anything is going to get u worried or already got u worried, pray about it, search or wait for one n let God do his part.
At least, God was able to lead Abraham's servant to a good wife for Isaac, so he wouldn't lead his own children astray when they ask of Him
@op. Jst thinking too. Is it biblical to pray for a job
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by omotola1(m): 12:55pm On Nov 04, 2012
My stand point is this: if you serve GOD with all your heart, you need not pray for a wife/husband. GOD will give u a life partner, this should be a bonus (Adam never prayed for a wife). Gen2:18-23. GOD knows HIS responsibilty.
But mind u, some don‘t even serve GOD & never prayed for a partner, yet they are happily married.

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by kayusjames(m): 1:05pm On Nov 04, 2012
Evrything that is good needs prayers and the one that is vise versa also needs prayers. so i dont see anything wrong in praying for ar life partner.

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by LordReed(m): 1:07pm On Nov 04, 2012
omotola1: My stand point is this: if you serve GOD with all your heart, you need not pray for a wife/husband. GOD will give u a life partner, this should be a bonus (Adam never prayed for a wife). Gen2:18-23. GOD knows HIS responsibilty.
But mind u, some don‘t even serve GOD & never prayed for a partner, yet they are happily married.

Jesus said our Father knows what we need yet He said we should pray "give us our daily bread". This is not a contradiction, it is simply a recognition of our position as offspring of the Most High.
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by dagr8(m): 1:15pm On Nov 04, 2012
CrazyMan: Choosing a marriage partner is a very serious matter, infact, its regarded as the most serious decision you will ever make in your life since your partner can cause you either to be successful or to fail miserably, in the tests of this life and, consequently, in the Here- after.

If you're a practicing christian, then I would recommend prayer...cos such decision needs to be made with utmost care and caution, its not something you rush into...you must be guided by God and not by your mind.

You should also note that so many marriages have broken up today why.....because the partners are in such haste that they don't take time to make such vital checks and rush into things. Don't add yourself to the list of marriage casualties because you couldn't take time or were too desperate for marriage to find out about or get to know the person with whom you plan to spend the rest of your life.

Marriage is not just for today or tomorrow but for life, and for the primary purpose of building a family.

So seeking God's face is something you shouldn't neglect as a christian.
This your handle doesnt fit u at all.I av seen quite a number of your posts and dey are always sensible, how do u come about ur handle?
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by omotola1(m): 1:20pm On Nov 04, 2012
dagr8:
This your handle doesnt fit u at all.I av seen quite a number of your posts and dey are always sensible, how do u come about ur handle?
Yeah, he makes a lot of sense.
I wonder why he chose dat handle too.
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by nikkyshyne(f): 1:21pm On Nov 04, 2012
^^ I have always wondered that too. undecided
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 04, 2012
omotola1: I find out that people do pray for life partners. Pls is there any scriptural backing for this act?
I think it is people under a curse/spell of being unable to find a life partner that should pray for one.
What‘s your view?
*pls i need sensible comments*

It is Biblical for you as a practicing christian to seek for God's guidiance in whatever step you want to take in life, especially steps that may mar your christian life or relationship with God like marriage, etc.

Imagine a situation a believer marries an atheist out of his instincts, don't u think the wife may derail his Godly ways or make him loose faith?
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 04, 2012
Double post, ignore pls
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 04, 2012
omotola1: My stand point is this: if you serve GOD with all your heart, you need not pray for a wife/husband. GOD will give u a life partner, this should be a bonus (Adam never prayed for a wife). Gen2:18-23. GOD knows HIS responsibilty.

Lol, and becos he never prayed for his wife, he got a woman that made him disobeyed his God and brought curse on all humans! Now u see y u need to pray for it? Don't always put your life to chances and luck, pray for what you desire and be fervent about it and it shall come smiley
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Yahayablessing(f): 1:47pm On Nov 04, 2012
bbfever: How do you know when you have found the person that you should marry? Some say that you should just trust God to lead that special person to you or lead you to him or her. Others believe that God will show you your spouse when you meet him or her. I believe the answer lies somewhere in the middle. Let me explain. Let's look at what the Bible says about acquiring a spouse.

(Proverbs 18:22 NIV) He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.

I would like to focus in on the word "finds." This implies that the man searches for the wife. Also note that the one who finds a wife, which is good, receives favor from the Lord. In other words, finding a good wife is an indication that a man has received grace of favor from God. Let me show you another scripture that applies to the principle that I am trying to share.

(Psalms 1:3 NIV) He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.

Again we see how God blesses what we do. A man will seek a wife and will find one. God blesses the man's activities by him finding a wife. Now there are a lot of other scriptures that I can quote that further illustrate the concept I am trying to relay to you. However, instead of quoting them let me simply reference them for you to review at your convenience. See also the following:

Psalm 119:105-The word of God can direct us as we search for a wife (application of this scripture)

Matthew 7:7-We will find a wife if we seek (application of this scripture)

Joshua 1:8-The importance of God's word and success and prosperity (an application of this scripture)

The point that I want to make is that I believe that a wife is not going to simply drop out of the sky. It is very unlikely that you can go on with your life and do nothing to look for a wife and then expect one to show up. I believe the same principle applies to women looking for husbands as well. How is this so? Isn't it the man's job to pursue the woman? I don't believe this is entirely true. Yes a man will pursue the woman of his dreams, however, the woman should also pursue the man of her dreams. The man and the woman will respectively pursue in different ways but both will still pursue.

I believe that the spouse must be pursued both before marriage and after the wedding day. This pursuit is active and involves many things that you may take for granted. In order for you to find a good wife (or husband for the woman), that potential spouse must somehow catch your attention. This leads us to the realm of attractiveness.

It is first necessary to be attracted to someone or be attractive to someone in order to connect with a possible mate. Now here is were some go very wrong and end up entering a relationship that results in disaster. Many men become interested in a certain woman because she looks "FINE!" He may like her general appearance, her nice legs, her breasts, her smile, her arms, or her behind. Basically a man may become interested in a woman because of her physical attraction and likewise a woman may become interested in a man because of his physical attraction. I must say that the attraction of a man to a woman tends to be different in some respects. A man does not care what kind of car a woman drives or if she drives a car at all. However, woman, based on the information that I have gathered, will consider the type of car a man drives or if he drives at all. This is based on what the man and woman want in a relationship respectively.

There is more to attractiveness than physical attraction. Many men, including myself, find woman interesting who are of course generally fit and healthy and who are intellectually stimulating. There is also the general aura of the other person. There is much more to a human being then just flesh and blood. I believe that there is a life force, which some call Chi or Ki. Some may think of this life force and associate it with the aura of a person or energy that emanates from the person. We can sense these things and react to them, usually subconsciously. I recall Pastor Blumentoe explaining this to us (Bible class students). She asked us if we had ever met someone and, for no reason at all, felt uncomfortable or comfortable about that person? She said that this reaction could have been the result of our response to their life force or spirit. I tend to agree, however, I don't want to get into a discussion on that topic at this time, especially since it is very subjective.

There may be many things that can induce a person to become interested in another in the area of male female relationships. There is physical and intellectual attractiveness. Physical attractiveness is more than being pretty or handsome. It involves good grooming and good hygiene. A beautiful person does not have to look like a supermodel. Beauty comes from within and radiates outward. External beauty is only a cover that does not indicate what's inside. For example, a brand new body on a car with a corroded engine and torn seats is not a good car to have. However, a clean car with a good paint job with a working engine and clean seats is more desirable. My point is not to narrow your scope for a possible mate by looks alone.

It is a very dangerous thing to enter and pursue a relationship with someone because they have a great body and is the prettiest thing you ever saw. What's inside? Be sensitive to who the person really is and not just what he or she looks like. Looking for the tall dark and handsome man or the 36-24-36 women is no guarantee whatsoever of a good and lasting marriage. Learn to be attracted to the whole person. Probe the person for signs. For example, does the guy that you are interested in, ladies, seem to always catch himself before he is about to say what sounds like a curse word? Does this person always want to be alone and in private with you or always wants to go to a bar? These are signs of other things that are lingering below the camouflage of the outer appearance and smooth talk.

Attractiveness is a quality of the whole person. What attracts me may not attract you. Some men like skinny women while others like big ones. Some woman like hulk men while others like lean guys. You have to realize that what attracts you may not be attractive to someone else, which means that someone else's opinion about your new found "friend" may be invalid.

There are some general things that you can do to be attractive. Be yourself in good condition. If you are a sloppy person with bad hygiene then you will not likely attract many people. I believe it is important that you take care of yourself by looking your best all of the time. We will see that this is a neglected aspect once marriage has been entered. That is, we may think that it is OK to let ourselves go once we are married. Here are some things that lead to attractiveness.

Physically fit (we can't deny the importance of this)
Good grooming
Good language
Good hygiene (don't smell bad and brush your teeth, etc.)
Wear nice and clean clothes
Look your best all of the time

If you are an abrasive person then don't put up a front to appear passive. There are men that find abrasive women attractive. If you put up a front and attract a man that is turned off by abrasive women then you have just created a very bad situation, which began with deceit.

Attractiveness also deals with your character and demeanor. Are you an honest person, hard working person, rude person, etc.? Do you exhibit self-control and are you up front about yourself? The type of person you present yourself to be will greatly influence whom you attract and vice versa.
Compatibility

You must realize that you are looking for a spouse and that spouse will be with you for the rest of your life. Therefore, you should take special care in entering a relationship with anyone. The union between a man and a woman is not merely a physical one. There should be compatibility between the two that indicates the possibility of a successful marriage. You can see very quickly here that good looks and good sex will not lead to a successful and prosperous life together in marriage. Do not let sexual or psychological infatuation or romantic delusion lead you to get married. This may lead to a very unhappy marriage.

The Bible tells us that the husband and the wife form one flesh (Genesis 2:24). Simply getting married does not form this one flesh. There must be an oneness or unity between the two before the wedding day! This means that the two has to be compatible. What is this compatibility? Consider the following scripture.

2 Corinthians 6:14 through 2 Corinthians 6:15 (NCV) 14You are not the same as those who do not believe. So do not join yourselves to them. Good and bad do not belong together. Light and darkness cannot share together. 15How can Christ and Belial, the devil, have any agreement? What can a believer have together with a nonbeliever?

I choose the New Century Version of the Bible because I really liked the way this scripture was worded, which is consistent with the actual meaning. Basically, two people should be compatible before they enter into a binding relationship whether that relationship is marriage, friendship, or business partner.

The best, if not only, way to determine compatibility is to inquire and observe. Ask questions and observe how your "friend" behaves and responds to situations. What church does he or she attend and what clubs does he or she belong to. Answers to these and similar probing questions will greatly help you determine compatibility.

The most fundamental compatibility in a Christian marriage is that both the husband and wife are Christians themselves and not as a result of the relationship. I believe that your mate should have been a Christian before you met him or her else there may be suspicion that he or she only profess to be a Christian in order to win you over. A professed Christian is not a born again Christian. A professed Christian is simply someone who has gone through the motions that the church requires and claims to be a Christian. So your potential mate should be a Christian already, at least ideally.

Note that finding someone in a church service is no guarantee that he or she is a Christian. Only examining that person and prayer will help to determine if the person is really a Christian or not. The Bible tells us that we should not be unequally yoked (joined in any binding relationship) with unbelievers (2 Corinthians 6:14). Though this scripture is not exclusively referring to marriage, it does apply just the same. In general a Christian should not enter into any binding relationship with a non-Christian on a personal level (else we would have to leave this Earth). For example, you shouldn't marry someone that is not a Christian and you should not enter into a business partnership with someone that is a non-believer.

This is my 2 cents
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by obailala(m): 1:50pm On Nov 04, 2012
Very soon someone would come and ask if it's a sin to use the internet, post on Nairaland, ride in a car, receive blood transfusion etc all because these things were not mentioned in the bible undecided
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 04, 2012
Nice one. Again, let's take the case of Jacob as a case study; Jacob came to serve Laban in order to marry his beautiful daughter, Rebecca, and Laban agreed and Jacob started serving him to get Rebeccan but at the end of the servant years, Laban changed it to his elder daughter, Jacob discovered and refused but instead agreed to serve Laban again to get Rebecca the woman he prayed for and know certain was his true wife.

What Jacob did is called prayer if you don't know. If it wasn't prayer, he would have just left with whatever Laban gave him since they are both women that can as well bear children, but he insisted that his prayer to have Rebecca be answered.
Lord_Reed:

Jesus said our Father knows what we need yet He said we should pray "give us our daily bread". This is not a contradiction, it is simply a recognition of our position as offspring of the Most High.
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by dnawah(m): 2:12pm On Nov 04, 2012
It is not everything working on earth 2day that are human beings?so it better 4 a christian to pray 4 a life partner.one of my pals came back with a snake girl when we were in scool,thanks God i wasn't around.a young lady once marry only to go to the man's place and discover that he was death 30yrs ago.and also there are agents of darkeness.i beg make una pray o!
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by babyboy3(m): 2:12pm On Nov 04, 2012
Its all about the favour of God and the perfect person who found favour when comes to finding a life partner was Ruth when she found Boaz
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by mancheeutd(m): 2:13pm On Nov 04, 2012
Trust in God acknowledge him and he shall make ur ways right- in all things its all things its always ƍöôϑ to pray towards it first
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Adeebiwa09(m): 2:24pm On Nov 04, 2012
Abraham n hs servant prayed 4 a wife 4 isaac, jacob technicaly prayd 4 rachel, david prayd 4 abigail, God chose moses' and hagar's secnd wif e.t.c
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Agbgift(f): 2:28pm On Nov 04, 2012
The church sm people attend dis days, baffles me a lot. In everytin u do, always pray to God. D bible says aske and it shall be given. If u are asking God for smtin, u are praying to him to give it to u. Seek d face of God in all dat u do.
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by realsammie(m): 2:29pm On Nov 04, 2012
@op..must the bible tell u everything before you do? Common sense have it that you are suppose to pray for your life partner.

PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING, WORRY ABOUT NOTHING.

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 04, 2012
realsammie: @op..must the bible tell u everything before you do? Common sense have it that you are suppose to pray for your life partner.

PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING, WORRY ABOUT NOTHING.

Thank you!

1 Thessalonians 5:17 : Pray without ceasing.

Meaning we should pray in all we do or about to do!
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Mckybarf(m): 3:36pm On Nov 04, 2012
omotola1: I find out that people do pray for life partners. Pls is there any scriptural backing for this act?
I think it is people under a curse/spell of being unable to find a life partner that should pray for one.
What‘s your view?
this question seems a bit hypocritical to me. If we pray even for money which we have to work for, why not the people we would want to spend the rest of our lives with.
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Stayo90(m): 3:54pm On Nov 04, 2012
What‘s your view?

Yes its biblical. Read prvb 18:22
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 04, 2012
lumideezle: Your Question is like asking, is it Biblical to ask God for a Car?? There is no bible verse that points to that directly but it is the same Bible that says" with Prayers and Sublications make your NEEDS known to your almighty Father "
So YES! if a life partner is your own need , ask GOd
If it is money ask him
If it is Ipad ask him

I hope I have answered your question
And don't forget he said " ASK and you Shall be Given "
Cheers
Abeg, mbong, ejor close this thread. Bros here just gave you the final answer, anything else you ask for then I know that it is not the truth that u are after
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 04, 2012
I have been praying for a long time (10yrs)for God to show me my wife but i haven't seen her although i had a dream in which i saw a lady that was said to be my wife. She contrasted most things i want in my wife so even in the dream, i complained. ( Please, dis is no joke).

Anyway,what puzzles me is the fact that i hear people testify that God showed them their spouses. So i wonder, do they have 2 heads?

Well, i believe am getting to the point in which if i see anybody that has good morals, good christian values and very ready to settle down, i will marry her afterall, my genotype is AA so i can marry anybody.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by AdeniyiA(m): 4:17pm On Nov 04, 2012
human beings by their actions n inactions tend to tell God that He is incompetent n irrelevant to their situations.
people are just so worldly n ungodly,ok let me ask,is genotype/blood group test biblical?
dt's abt d physical,but d marriage institution is more spiritual than physical.
i bliv dt no true child of God wil marry wi'out prayin abt it.
if only we kno God's elp we nid in marital affairs,we'll not just interpret d Bible to suit our shortsightedness.
commit ur WAYS unto d Lord n He shal guide u
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by pedrojustice: 5:11pm On Nov 04, 2012
The book of Mathew 7:7 tells u to seek,ask and knock for.. So I think asking for a partner is not outa place
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by oothel: 5:41pm On Nov 04, 2012
I think it is Biblical in a sense to pray for a life partner. More like to pray for guidiance in finding a life partner. God deals with us in different ways.

Eleazer prayed for guidiance in finding Rebecca for Isaac.
Jacob prayed for guidance in finding Rachael.
Ruth went to ask Boaz to marry her.
In I Corinthians 9:5, Paul refers to it in passing as simply choosing a sister as wife.

Proverbs 18:22 is one side. Proverbs 19:14 is another.
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by nwgoziri(m): 6:22pm On Nov 04, 2012
YES!DB BIBLE SAY DO NT WORRY,BT ThROUGH PRAYER MEK UR NID KNWN 2 GOD.YES IS BIBLICAL.
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by joe4christ(m): 6:24pm On Nov 04, 2012
[size=15pt]It amazes me how people often runs away from their responsibilities.
Have'nt u read about how adam blamed God for having given him a wife who lured him into sin instead of taking responsibilities for his action, he rather said ''it's the wife u gave me that made me do it.''
which audibly means it was actually God's fault for giving him a wife, so God should be blamed for it and not him, actaully he was making escusses for his sins.
Have u all also forgotten that all that partains to life and Godliness has already been given to us?
God gave us our mind, instincts and visions so we can see deep into people, one is supposed ''as a man to have the spiritual gift of foresight (Not neccesarily vision or trance)'' but the ability to see into people and read who they realy are, even before they start exhibiting their true charracter, you're supposed to desern the basic charracter make up of people you're coming in contact with through their spiritual aura, you just sense their spirit and accessed them, which in turn reveals their kind of person, it's like an energy emanating from everyone that they just cannot hide, maybe you needed to be spiritually sensitive in this regards,
personally i see into people, i really dont know how, but give me just a week of being with someone and i would read virtually almost every basics about that person and with time i would still be unvailing more, i just cannot help it, even when i dont want to i still find myself researching into people's soul through their speeches, actions, gesture, looks, sense of dressing, perception and even smiles.
Atimes it seems i was born with this Gift to sense real hidden charracter in people.
So observe and test your ideal partner to know who he/she really is.
One thing i'm sure of is, there are two forces at work over your life, one of this forces wants u to succeed in every of your life endavour while the other wants to destroy you, so when choosing a life partner prayer becomes neccessary cos u might not be sure of the force in play, it might be the force of deception which in turn lead to destruction or that of truth which would never lead u wrong, so just pray to God to lead you to the right partner, and i bet u when u will come in contact with that person, immidiately u would have an inner witness withen u testifying that he or she is the one for u, then it's now ur responsibility to explore that person to discover for yourself if he or she is the right one indeed.
If you're compatible with such a person both charracter wise and virtually everything or almost everything, then u've just found a wife and u've obtained favour from God.
I believe God is not into match making venture anymore, less human would always accuse him each time they have misunderstanding with their spouse, they would always blame it on God for giving them such a partner.
Just my few cent![/size]
Re: Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner? by tommywise: 6:49pm On Nov 04, 2012
philipians4:6..........d bible says in all things.....job,wife,peace,health,finance,etc......in all things. so a christian must pray and commit his ways to God who is able to give him divine direction. so my submission is tht there is a scriptural backing (see phi4:6)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis / Thank God For One Thing In Your Life / Benson Idahosa's 78th Posthumous Birthday Is Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.