Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,184 members, 7,818,594 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? (11771 Views)

Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? / A Contract With Total Subject To Renewal (500k/month)vs Permanent Job In Bank / Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 04, 2012
If u go for 80k, u still won't be able to save, u'd live along 80k,
If u go for 40k, same applies, u'd cut ur coat to 40k, either way, u'd be living.
So just go with 40k.. Where ur heart isn't skipping at every minute.
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by akintun: 7:41pm On Nov 04, 2012

Calculate the present value of an N80,000 annuity for 12 months using the prevailing deposit rate. Using the result, calculate the number of months it'll take to achieve the same on a N40,000 annuity. Your answer will be obvious after.]

Why calculate 40k annuity, when d job is not 4 life.
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by xakakes: 7:42pm On Nov 04, 2012
When u try to compare both you should try to check other things such as the nature of both jobs,locations and other incentives. some work in a place where they do not touch their meager salary,have more time to make more money and the likes,there's
something like a permanent job be wise look before u leap cos all that glitters aint gold.shine ur eyes
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by ChiSun27(m): 7:47pm On Nov 04, 2012
Gabriel_sylar: Ifs its me i wont choose anyoone....i will come back to nairaland when i get 250k monthly

u neva hala...go cr8 ur own job nah.
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by manny4life(m): 7:52pm On Nov 04, 2012
Sammy107_d: Calculate the present value of an N80,000 annuity for 12 months using the prevailing deposit rate. Using the result, calculate the number of months it'll take to achieve the same on a N40,000 annuity. Your answer will be obvious after.

Too much math, haba besides, no one discussed finance here and how you phrased it, annuity? shocked shocked shocked ...hmm

@OP, the 80k contract job is obviously the best.
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by 5much(m): 7:59pm On Nov 04, 2012
go for d 8ok job
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Jarus(m): 8:03pm On Nov 04, 2012
In some companies, contract job is practically permananent job, the only difference is pay and other entitlement. Oando, Shell are examples I know. I know people that have been in contract positions in these companies for more than 5 years. In such companies, I would advise anyone to take contract job of 80k over a 40k permanent job.

But for a contract job of fixed period, and less than 2 years, would advice permanent job of 40k. But if more than 2 years, abeg take it over permanent jare.

Also, the reputation of the company that offers you contract position matters. Contract experience in a good company can be stepping stone to better offers, as my current company are currently poaching contract staff in Shell, Total E&P and giving them permanent positions and offering them better pay.

1 Like

Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by fineheart: 8:13pm On Nov 04, 2012
What is the nature of the 40K permanent job? Will you learn new skills that could help you in your career path? Is it in a well-structured organization or a one-man show? These are some of the issues to consider before choosing any one of them. If the 80K job is a casual job that you will not be proud of showing off on your CV, then the 40K job could be it if it will be relevant in climbing up the ladder.
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Champa(m): 8:16pm On Nov 04, 2012
i wil tek 80k then after dat 1yr i wil enta into buz
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Cuddlemii: 8:30pm On Nov 04, 2012
If I were to be in your shoes, I will use a survey technique to make my decision and not only the salary.
I think you should think of:

1) Career progression- are employees of the company stagnant, the politics played in the office, promotion etc

2) Employee Satisfaction

3) Renumeration- How often are their renumeration/salary/wages reviewed. Some offices have workers receiving the same salary for years. What are the other incentives/benefits the company has to offer like pension, car loans, training, certification, leave allowance etc

4) Self Actualization & Efficiency - Is it a job you love to do? Can you perform the duties of the job assigned to you(expertize)? Is it a job you can excel in or just something to live by.

5) Standard of the organization - How good does the company look on my resume? Will it open more doors to you later in life? Would you gain enough useful experience that you can utilize

After you compare the two companies based on these then you can make a fair choice

My dear, even if you decide to go with the contract job, you can make yourself indispensable so that they retain you after your contract ends. No company wants to loose good/competent hands, after they must have trained you and all. All you need do is prove yourself to them, work hard and all will be fine.
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 04, 2012
Jarus: In some companies, contract job is practically permananent job, the only difference is pay and other entitlement. Oando, Shell are examples I know. I know people that have been in contract positions in these companies for more than 5 years. In such companies, I would advise anyone to take contract job of 80k over a 40k permanent job.

But for a contract job of fixed period, and less than 2 years, would advice permanent job of 40k. But if more than 2 years, abeg take it over permanent jare.

Also, the reputation of the company that offers you contract position matters. Contract experience in a good company can be stepping stone to better offers, as my current company are currently poaching contract staff in Shell, Total E&P and giving them permanent positions and offering them better pay.
Pls can u message me the company name, Im interested In leaving my current contract
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by vicjoke: 9:00pm On Nov 04, 2012
Go for the 80k salary n invest in developing your skills and opportunity will open up more, good luck.
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by duality(m): 9:24pm On Nov 04, 2012
Jarus: In some companies, contract job is practically permananent job, the only difference is pay and other entitlement. Oando, Shell are examples I know. I know people that have been in contract positions in these companies for more than 5 years. In such companies, I would advise anyone to take contract job of 80k over a 40k permanent job.

Mr. Jarus, which of the companies? Plz help me with the contact.
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Itoroetti(m): 9:37pm On Nov 04, 2012
Billyonaire: Let me break it down. He says if 80 x 12 = X, then X = 40 x 24

u must have elementary and wide knowledge abt maths.i like dat.u are correct,but u shud av given d value of X
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Itoroetti(m): 9:39pm On Nov 04, 2012
tendercharles: undecided Let me break it down. He says if 80 x 12 = X, then X = 40 x 24

u really avent said anytin
he has made a point.maybe u didnt like maths
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Krucifax(m): 9:49pm On Nov 04, 2012
40k Naija monthly salary
40k UK daily wage = £159

Can't believe my people can live on this but that's besides the point.

My advise is go for the permanent role. Contract staff tend to make that bit more than regular staff because contract staff do not come with the usual obligatory employee rights,like ;
1.Paid sick days
2.Maternity & Paternity Pay
3.Holiday pay
4.Salary increment reviews
5.Pensions
6.Paid for courses

Also as a contract employee your contract can be abruptly terminated if the source of funding in the project you are heading dries up. Over here in the U.K contract employees can be fired with just one weeks notice but permanent staff require a minimum of one months notice as long as they are no longer in their probation periods.

A permanent role offers you job security as well and chances to move up in ranks with the organisation. And you are considered part of the team as opposed to a hired gun. A few years ago i worked as a contract staff for an organisation in London and i was making just under £700 GBP a week. Permananet staff at a similar level were making about £500 GBP a week.
It was all good till my mother died and i had to come to Nigeria for the burial. I was away for just about a week but got sacked the very week i came back to London. Simply because the work can't wait, and the organisation had to keep things churning out fast as they were close to a govt audit period. As they saw me as a mercenary they simply got someone else to do the job.

Now if i had being a permanent member of staff i would have been entitled to either compassionate leave or emergency leave and my job would have still been secure even if i disappeared for a month.
The moral of the story is a job security always trumps any temporary arrangements. Fact!

2 Likes

Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by GodsonAde: 9:52pm On Nov 04, 2012
Majority has chosen the 80k job. I thank you all for your comments. But I guess you know there are some benefits attached to being a permanent staff of a company. If for any reason, the coy want you to go, they have to give you a parting parkage. That's not the case with contract job o!
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Cuddlemii: 9:56pm On Nov 04, 2012
smiley
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by GodsonAde: 10:04pm On Nov 04, 2012
Cuddlemii: smiley

Why did you modify what you wrote initially?
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Cuddlemii: 10:16pm On Nov 04, 2012
Godson.Ade:

Why did you modify what you wrote initially?

embarassedSorry about that, I thought it through again.

All is well, just do what it best for you, use all the resources gathered from this thread to make a decision
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Ninilowo(m): 10:16pm On Nov 04, 2012
Network busy....................................................................
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by GodsonAde: 10:26pm On Nov 04, 2012
Cuddlemii:

embarassedSorry about that, I thought it through again.

All is well, just do what it best for you, use all the resources gathered from this thread to make a decision

Decision has been made already. Just sampling peoples views only. Thanks anyway
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by koolg: 10:35pm On Nov 04, 2012
Consider 2things; the money n the prospects, you may also have plans of starting a small biz after one year.
If you take the 80k contract job, consider what ull spend for the job like tfare, feeding, the respite ull be having and you economize well bearing in mind that you have just a year guarantee on the job, you will do well to be job hunting while on the contract job you have one year to search for a better job but you must be sure that the contract job experience is wat you wanna use as your job search experience for the next one year.
If you feel the permanent job will offer you some pecks like travel allowance etc and then consider tfare, prospects etc, then weigh the advantages.
You cld make a table of advantages vs disadvantages n I assure you that it'll be easier to see the better choice.
Good luck
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Exponental(m): 10:59pm On Nov 04, 2012
There is nothing like "permanent job" even with FG! Change in govt/mgt can dash away ur permanent hope.
Go 4 better pay and always update ur CV, while u search n wait 4 better job!
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by remzytimer: 11:15pm On Nov 04, 2012
I will conclude by saying u're not a good decision maker "a pessimist" who say's u cannot perform well in taking up d job @ 80k,u can even perform more than their expectations ....Never look down on ur self nor price ur self low because some employers want cheap labour....set a goals and be determined towards achieving d goals
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 04, 2012
Whether your adrenalin is pumping towards the 80K or the 40K offer, just put these considerations in mind before making a decision:
- Benefits in cash and Kind
- Conducive working environment
- Moderate level of stress
- A legally binding agreement between employer and employee
- Job security for the long term(not applicable in contract job)...and
- Opportunities for career growth
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by kolexy(m): 11:46pm On Nov 04, 2012
Beyond the pay, there are always inherent benefits in every job. I once left a permanent job of 80K plus for a contract job of 400k plus. I took the decision not just because of the big PAY, but because of the opportunities the contract job offers. There are limited opportunities outside my coy the, as compared to the contract job. There are just two major players in the industry. But the contract job offers the opportunity to work in an industry that is ever growing. I'll also advise you ask God for direction. I'm thsnkfull I took the risk, because I was given a VERY BIG post 15 months after I joined, and it appears I'm still dreaming. Anayse the job, pay, opportunities within each industry, and the number of players in each industry. Also be sure the contract job offer is a professional one, because too may coys treat contract staffs like lesser humans. May the good Lord guide you.
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by moderattor: 2:43am On Nov 05, 2012
I want to cry when people suggest @OP should go for 40k. Its just a pity.
hahahahaha hhhha ahhhhaa haaaaaaa *crying* cry
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by kolexy(m): 3:03am On Nov 05, 2012

I'm a testimony to that fact. Ops need to do a good review of the two offers. I once left a permanent job for a contract job.
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by fyneconcepts: 5:52am On Nov 05, 2012
Does this have anything to do with Zenith Bank recruitment?
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by fyneconcepts: 5:52am On Nov 05, 2012
Does this have anything to do with Zenith Bank recruitment?
Re: 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? by juventino: 6:46am On Nov 05, 2012
valacious: Go for the 40k job. Been in your exact shoes before.
Excellent!! 100 likes!!!
People don't realise how frustrating when on contract job. No growth, bonuses and can be fired with no single naira pay. My brother please go for the permanent job, I believe you will not regret on long run talking from my experience. Good luck

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thread For Microbiologists, Both Graduates And Experienced. / Six Career Myths You Shouldn't Fall For / Can A Pregnant Woman Be Denied Of Appointment Letter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.