Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,136 members, 7,818,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead (13537 Views)

Photo Benelin And Codein Syrup Abuse In Northern Nigeria. / 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed / Dangers Of Taking Codine Cough Syrup By Mi Abaga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by TableLeg(m): 8:59am On Nov 07, 2012
OYINBOGOJU:
Rubbish
Since you dont have a child, you can never know the pain of a Parent losing only child to this man killer drug.
So what are you trying to say?
That the man killed the children or what?
Why are some Nigerians so daft, senseless and moro/onic?
What proof do you have that the man knowingly killed the poor children?
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by Classicalman(m): 9:05am On Nov 07, 2012
nex: May his soul Rest In Peace. Dora Akunyili was on AIT saying this man was innocent, as the problem of the teething powder originated from the imported chemicals used as raw materials for the drugs. The chemicals were wrongly labelled when they entered the country, and NAFDAC passed them.

This man's problems arose though when he refused to pay the under-the-table amount requested of him by Dora Akunyili.

One of the major issues we have with justice in this country are the lawyers. If I had that initial video where Dora Akunyili went on TV absolving the pharmacists, I would have long proven their innocence. It's a shame!

Once again, may his soul find rest. He was greatly wronged.
See how peaceful this thread has been so far. If it was to be an Ibo man involved, all the OPC tribal warriors would have surfaced since.
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by pappilo(m): 9:29am On Nov 07, 2012
I know this guy's son; Yoro Ninja! na my hood for Naija dem dey based

RIP old man!
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by elicent2009: 9:31am On Nov 07, 2012
webaplanet: The producer of ‘My Pikin’ teething mixture, Kola Gbadegbesin Okunlola, is dead.

The late Kola Gbadegbesin Okunlola.

He had been standing trial alongside his company, Barewa Pharmaceutical Limited, and two staff of the company, Adeyemo Abiodun and Egbele Austin Eromosele.

Okunlola died on 27 October, 2012, aged 58 years.

Sources said Okunlola died at St. Nicholas Hospital, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria, where he was admitted when he suffered haemorrhage stroke.

A native of Ikimu, Osun State, Southwest Nigeria, the late pharmacist attended Akinorun Grammar School, Ikirun, University of Bradford in the U.K. He qualified as a pharmacist 39 years ago.

On 8 March, 2009, he was arraigned alongside his company with two other staff on a six-count charge of manufacturing and distributing adulterated drugs.

In the criminal charge filed by senior state counsel from the office of Attorney-General of the Federation, A.K. Aliu, it was alleged that Okunlola, Abiodun, Eromosele and Barewa Pharmaceutical Company of 1-5 Olugbo Close, Shasha, Akowonjo, Lagos, on or about 2008, conspired together to manufacture and distribute adulterated drug ‘My Pikin’ baby teething mixture with the intention to cause death or grievous bodily harm to members of the public.

They were therefore accused of committing an offence contrary to Section 1(A) of the Counterfeit and Fake Drug and Unwholesome Processed Foods Act 25 of 1999 which is punishable under Section 3 of the same Act.

They all pleaded not guilty and their counsel, Mr. Osaro Eghobamien, SAN, applied that they be admitted to bail.

But the prosecutor, A.K. Aliu, opposed the bail application on the grounds that the drugs allegedly produced by the accused persons had caused the death of so many children.

In his reaction, Eghobamien told the court that the claim by NAFDAC that ‘My Pikin’ has caused the death of many children was nothing but a ruse as the accused persons were not charged with murder, no death certificate was filed before the court and investigations conducted revealed that the children who died were above the age of children that can use baby teething mixture.

He said, invariably, the death of the children whose identities were not disclosed to the court might be as a result of other causes.

After listening to the submission of the counsel to both parties, the presiding judge, Justice Okechukwu Okeke said there is no death certificate filed before the court to prove that deaths occurred by the use of the drug.

He, therefore, admitted the accused persons to bail on stringent conditions. They were able to meet the bail conditions in about three months.

Justice Okeke also warned that if the bail was used as a ploy to delay the trial, it will be revoked.

Okunlola was equally arraigned before a Kaduna High Court charged with murder. But the case was later struck out for lack of diligent prosecution.

The trial in Lagos dragged on for about three years. The prosecutor managed to call two of his witnesses before Okunlola died.

When P.M.NEWS called his counsel, Mr. Eghobamien, he said it was unfortunate that the man died before the conclusion of his trial, as he could not prove his innocence before his death.

Some of his neighbours at 16, Ilawe Street, Gbagada, Lagos, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the man was a good and amiable person.

They opined that his problem started when NAFDAC in frenzy of media trial claimed that the man had been producing baby mixture that had killed many children.

They added that his factory was closed down and even another factory that was not part of Barewa Pharmaceutical Company was also closed down. All efforts made by the late pharmacist to ensure the other factory was reopened was abortive.

One of the children of the deceased, Mr. Femi Okunlola, 33, a manager with an oil and gas company, who spoke with P.M.NEWS on behalf of his family, said his father lived in Lagos with his wife while his other four children were based abroad. According to the burial programme released by his family, there will be a wake on 14 November, 2012. He will be buried 16 November, 2012 at Ikoyi Cemetery, Lagos.

Okunlola had worked briefly with Boots Pharmaceutical Company, London and when he returned to Nigeria, joined Pfizer Pharmaceutical Company before he established Barewa Pharmaceutical Company.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/11/05/my-pikin-syrup-maker-dies-of-stroke/
R.I.P
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by Ikwerefistson: 9:43am On Nov 07, 2012
U knw go die adbeta.hoples yoruba man yeye pepl wey knw dy comit robery,dm no dy lot nija,no .419,nn fake drugs nd yet nija dy bad.hypocrites
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by SamAfrik(m): 9:56am On Nov 07, 2012
Does Nigeria lack the mental & infrastructural capacity to conduct simple investigations. Why is it so difficult for d courts to decide someone's innocence?

1 Like

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by Born2beRich1(m): 10:35am On Nov 07, 2012
Billyonaire: RIP Mr Brain. Nigeria murders her heroes.

How is he a hero...This is a person that was accused to make a fake drug that kill many babies....People will celebrate anything, even criminals and killers...Nonsense
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by dealslip(f): 11:31am On Nov 07, 2012
Born 2be Rich:

How is he a hero...This is a person that was accused to make a fake drug that kill many babies....People will celebrate anything, even criminals and killers...Nonsense

Without bias would H̲̣̣̣̥ɑ̤̥̈̊vє̲̣̥ commented d way u just did.however, know d man personally. On d 19th of oct 2012, he collapsed at a wedding function of his nephew and I̶̲̥̅̊t̶̲̥̅̊ was ,•̸Ϟﻉ that arranged a vehicle †̥ take him †̥ d clinic, that Ϟɪ̣̝̇•̸Ťε̲̣̣̣̥ he suffered a stroke he never recovered from after collapsing S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ many times. By d way,got married into that family.can tell u categorically that Uncle Kola was innocent and was only a victim of NAFDAC's propaganda †̥ appear efficient. Not a single evidence against him. This man lost everything he ever worked for, this was an extremely brilliant and jovial man. He made every challenge look like child's play. We need †̥ pray we never fall victim of any propaganda. He was just unlucky. Do U̶̲̥̅̊ know how many people out there labelled are robbers when they are only victims of police propaganda †̥ appear efficient. One lesson learnt I̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊ never judge a person from where U̶̲̥̅̊ are standing but from where they are standing.
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by IfeLuvely: 11:52am On Nov 07, 2012
Was there no QC testing before the drugs were distributed?
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by johndavid1(m): 11:58am On Nov 07, 2012
Born 2be Rich:

hahahahahaha grin grin grin grin
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by realsammie(m): 12:20pm On Nov 07, 2012
maskid:

make quak-doctor kill ur pikin. so u go call am Talent and set him loose. naq because no b ur brother or pikin dem poison. Goat!!!
Young man, according to the story the court is yet finalise the case. EVERYONE IS INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by uyiekpenm(f): 12:21pm On Nov 07, 2012
dealslip:

Without bias would H̲̣̣̣̥ɑ̤̥̈̊vє̲̣̥ commented d way u just did.however, know d man personally. On d 19th of oct 2012, he collapsed at a wedding function of his nephew and I̶̲̥̅̊t̶̲̥̅̊ was ,•̸Ϟﻉ that arranged a vehicle †̥ take him †̥ d clinic, that Ϟɪ̣̝̇•̸Ťε̲̣̣̣̥ he suffered a stroke he never recovered from after collapsing S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ many times. By d way,got married into that family.can tell u categorically that Uncle Kola was innocent and was only a victim of NAFDAC's propaganda †̥ appear efficient. Not a single evidence against him. This man lost everything he ever worked for, this was an extremely brilliant and jovial man. He made every challenge look like child's play. We need †̥ pray we never fall victim of any propaganda. He was just unlucky. Do U̶̲̥̅̊ know how many people out there labelled are robbers when they are only victims of police propaganda †̥ appear efficient. One lesson learnt I̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊ never judge a person from where U̶̲̥̅̊ are standing but from where they are standing.

See hw u people are trying so hard to convince people of his innocence but when it involves an Igbo man you yorubas will judge, condemn and kill the person without trying to find out the true story. Once more the yorubas on this forum need to change their ways for peace to reign.
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by uyiekpenm(f): 12:26pm On Nov 07, 2012
dealslip:

See hw u people are trying so hard to convince people of his innocence but when it involves an Igbo man you yorubas will judge, condemn and kill the person without trying to find out the true story. Once more the yorubas on this forum need to change their ways for peace to reign.
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by dealslip(f): 2:05pm On Nov 07, 2012
uyiekpenm:

,•̸Ϟﻉ ai no understand this tribal issue o. Its there for all †̥ reason, if NAFDAC couldn't provide evidence and d case was thrown out at one point or d other, what other conviction do U̶̲̥̅̊ need against this man. This I̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊ logic and not tribalism, nepotism or sentiments.
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by dealslip(f): 2:07pm On Nov 07, 2012
uyiekpenm:

,•̸Ϟﻉ ai no understand this tribal issue o. Its there for all †̥ reason, if NAFDAC couldn't provide evidence and d case was thrown out at one point or d other, what other conviction do U̶̲̥̅̊ need against this man. This I̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊ logic and not tribalism, nepotism or sentiments. If U̶̲̥̅̊ were a judge, ai H̲̣̣̣̥ɑ̤̥̈̊vє̲̣̥ a feeling U̶̲̥̅̊ WȊ̝̊̅ℓℓ condemn anyone for punishment as long as he/she I̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊ not of Ųя tribe.
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by mapet: 4:31pm On Nov 07, 2012
@ Madam Uyiekpenm,

1. If you follow my trail or any other dynamic and resourceful persons on NL, you'll know that they are intellectuals.
2. Tribal issues is persisting on NL because you guys make it to stay. If you ask my opinion, I'll advise you to be a among the first set of people to back out of tribal issues and cleanse NL. If we can do it on NL, we can do it in Nigeria.
3. If we keep barking at each other "Yoruba people", "Ibo" people, we are just destroying ourselves. I enjoy when I see contributions that add value to my spirit and not tribal issues.
4. I assure you, if it's an Ibo man that falls into this mess and he is innocent, I will tell the world about his integrity as I'll want some people who know me to if I get into unfortunate circumstances
uyiekpenm:

Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by ojoKunle: 8:37am On Nov 08, 2012
@ Mapet and Table leg, can you guys please email me at Nigeriareliefeffort@yahoo.com. I barely know Mr. Kola Okunlola but with the few minutes I met him, he impacted my life positively forever. It saddens my heart that he and the two others became the victim of injustice in Nigeria. I do not blame the people rushing to judgment on a case that they do not have knowledge of. I would not support any business (fatal) negligence or practices of any sort but it's unfortunate that Nigerians would do anything to sabotage their competitors and the government (customs and law enforcement) will go to any length with you if you thereby deprive them of their illegal bribery.

May his soul rest in perfect peace and my condolence to his family and the children if there is any (no autopsy to proof any child died, no certificate) but only in Nigeria you can convict without evidence.

mapet: @ Oga Table Leg Thanx.

1. It's unfortunate that the case dragged on for so long and the truth did not prevail before Mr. Okunlola died.
2. I pray that the whole of Nigeria will know the full story soon and some day
3. I would not hide my identity here, as this is a case I'm directly involved in. Mr. Abiodun Adeyemo is my maternal uncle, I lived with him during some holidays back in secondary school... we were so close, he thought me golf.
4. Mr. Okunlola and Mr. Adeyemo are thoroughbred professionals. They were both top staff of Pfizer, before they went different paths. Mr. Okunlola invited Mr. Adeyemo as General Manager of Barewa to help him add some vigor to the company.
5. The "My Pikin" issue (actually the mixture is called "Na My Pikin) is very sad. I hope Dora Akunluyi and her co-conspirators can sleep.
6. The Truth is when the death were alledged, She rushed to the media and said a whole lot of unfounded and unsubstantiated stuffs. Standard Procedure should have been a proper investigation and then come to the media with the results of your findings and not conjectures
7. I was at the court on 2-3 occassions, NAFDAC were just "dancing" around with irrelevances. I remember a Northern Lawyer representing NAFDAC that quoted a case to backup a point he made, and the judge had to correct him that he was actually shooting himself in the foot. At the Judgement granting the trio bail, the Judge to my suprise said as part of his speech that "he cannot be intimidated, either by the local or any supposed international body".

Now Let's check the trend
1. There's probably a theory that Dora just played the media card to enhance her position to be a minister. Recall shortly after then she was made a minister
2. I can tell you that even the current NAFDAC chairman told some people in confidence that NAFDAC has no case, but his hands are tied.
3. NAFDAC was actually the people that contributed to this case dragging over 3years. The Kaduna angle actually beat my imagination. We wasted time and resources going to Kaduna, only for the judge to throw the case out for lack of diligent prosecution. The truth is that it was a trap to re-arrest the trio. The trio had to go underground in Kaduna and appeared in court without NAFDAC being able to track them.

Do you know that;
1. Till we speak, NAFDAC has not been able to produce a single death certificate of a child that died as a result of the teething mixture in court?
2. Do you know that someone tried to plant "evidence" at Barewa to further implicate the trio. If not for watchful neighbours that caught the lady and when she was about to be lynched she confessed

It's sad that Mr. Okunlola is dead. It's a shame how we kill the our people and our future with stupidity.
1. How did NAFDAC or any government agency prosecute the Pfizer case in the north. Did they hound any of their executives in the detention and untold truama?
2. Mr. Okunlola never recovered from the shock of that unfortunate saga. His factory was inspected over and over during the investigation, nothing was found. No contamination whatsoever.
3. Mr. Adeyemo is hanging somewhere now, not being able to work, trying to get his life back. I pray he doesn't go the way of Mr. Okunlola. Mr. Eromosele is the youngest of the trio and I hope we've not messed up his life too.
4. I thought we should be helping local entrepreneurs to grow and build a viable Nigeria brand and not the other way round. Let's assume a scenario that Barewa was found culpable, sane countries would have done stuffs like working out solutions like compensation, tightening of regulations and supervisions, setting new standards etc by such a way the industry will be better for it. I was in the States few months back and I was astonished at the number of adverts of different kinds of drugs for diverse ailments that we don't even know of. The drugs industry is one of the top 3 money spinners in the US. Investors actually pump money into research labs and Pharmacist and Pharmacologist would rather work in those labs.... In Nigeria we kill everything
If Children died as alleged, I commiserate with the families; but we need to ascertain the truth. Did they die of the teething mixture "Na My Pikin" or something else.

Thank you very much for your constructive post.
I personally know this man and his son, Femi and i are friends.
There was never any concrete evidence to suggest that the poor man knowingly sold some killer teething mixture or deliberately as a result of professional negligence cause the death of the kids
What happened was unfortunate ... The whole saga contributed to the man's health deterioration
The truth didn't come out and we will never know, but the family i know won't hurt a single fly for financial gains or anything else[b][/b]

@ Mapet and Table leg, can you guys please email me at Nigeriareliefeffort@yahoo.com. I barely know Mr. Kola Okunlola but with the few minutes I met him, he impacted my life positively forever. It saddens my heart that he and the two others became the victim of injustice in Nigeria. I do not blame the people rushing to judgment on a case that they do not have knowledge of. I would not support any business (fatal) negligence or practices of any sort but it's unfortunate that Nigerians would do anything to sabotage their competitors and the government (customs and law enforcement) will go to any length with you if you thereby deprive them of their illegal bribery.

May his soul rest in perfect peace and my condolence to his family and the children if there is any (no autopsy to proof any child died, no certificate) but only in Nigeria you can convict without evidence.
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by Wily2wily: 1:50pm On Sep 06, 2014
Awolowo bought the poison that killed him from dis man
Re: My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead by lokoloko84(m): 6:10am On Sep 07, 2014
mapet: @ Oga Table Leg Thanx.

1. It's unfortunate that the case dragged on for so long and the truth did not prevail before Mr. Okunlola died.
2. I pray that the whole of Nigeria will know the full story soon and some day
3. I would not hide my identity here, as this is a case I'm directly involved in. Mr. Abiodun Adeyemo is my maternal uncle, I lived with him during some holidays back in secondary school... we were so close, he thought me golf.
4. Mr. Okunlola and Mr. Adeyemo are thoroughbred professionals. They were both top staff of Pfizer, before they went different paths. Mr. Okunlola invited Mr. Adeyemo as General Manager of Barewa to help him add some vigor to the company.
5. The "My Pikin" issue (actually the mixture is called "Na My Pikin) is very sad. I hope Dora Akunluyi and her co-conspirators can sleep.
6. The Truth is when the death were alledged, She rushed to the media and said a whole lot of unfounded and unsubstantiated stuffs. Standard Procedure should have been a proper investigation and then come to the media with the results of your findings and not conjectures
7. I was at the court on 2-3 occassions, NAFDAC were just "dancing" around with irrelevances. I remember a Northern Lawyer representing NAFDAC that quoted a case to backup a point he made, and the judge had to correct him that he was actually shooting himself in the foot. At the Judgement granting the trio bail, the Judge to my suprise said as part of his speech that "he cannot be intimidated, either by the local or any supposed international body".

Now Let's check the trend
1. There's probably a theory that Dora just played the media card to enhance her position to be a minister. Recall shortly after then she was made a minister
2. I can tell you that even the current NAFDAC chairman told some people in confidence that NAFDAC has no case, but his hands are tied.
3. NAFDAC was actually the people that contributed to this case dragging over 3years. The Kaduna angle actually beat my imagination. We wasted time and resources going to Kaduna, only for the judge to throw the case out for lack of diligent prosecution. The truth is that it was a trap to re-arrest the trio. The trio had to go underground in Kaduna and appeared in court without NAFDAC being able to track them.

Do you know that;
1. Till we speak, NAFDAC has not been able to produce a single death certificate of a child that died as a result of the teething mixture in court?
2. Do you know that someone tried to plant "evidence" at Barewa to further implicate the trio. If not for watchful neighbours that caught the lady and when she was about to be lynched she confessed

It's sad that Mr. Okunlola is dead. It's a shame how we kill the our people and our future with stupidity.
1. How did NAFDAC or any government agency prosecute the Pfizer case in the north. Did they hound any of their executives in the detention and untold truama?
2. Mr. Okunlola never recovered from the shock of that unfortunate saga. His factory was inspected over and over during the investigation, nothing was found. No contamination whatsoever.
3. Mr. Adeyemo is hanging somewhere now, not being able to work, trying to get his life back. I pray he doesn't go the way of Mr. Okunlola. Mr. Eromosele is the youngest of the trio and I hope we've not messed up his life too.
4. I thought we should be helping local entrepreneurs to grow and build a viable Nigeria brand and not the other way round. Let's assume a scenario that Barewa was found culpable, sane countries would have done stuffs like working out solutions like compensation, tightening of regulations and supervisions, setting new standards etc by such a way the industry will be better for it. I was in the States few months back and I was astonished at the number of adverts of different kinds of drugs for diverse ailments that we don't even know of. The drugs industry is one of the top 3 money spinners in the US. Investors actually pump money into research labs and Pharmacist and Pharmacologist would rather work in those labs.... In Nigeria we kill everything

If Children died as alleged, I commiserate with the families; but we need to ascertain the truth. Did they die of the teething mixture "Na My Pikin" or something else.

I love you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Medical Tourism: Senate Moves To Block Revenue Leakages, Exodus Of Doctors, ... / Man Beaten By Police In Adamawa In Coma (Photos) / Cancer, One Of Top Killer Diseases In Ibadan In Three Years ― UCH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.