Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,935 members, 7,952,770 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:39 PM

Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? (20030 Views)

Rivers Re-run: What Amechi Said On Radio And MY Message To The APC, / Revalidation Of Tinted Permit, Firearms Licence Begins Today / Will Biafrans Need Work Permit In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Hardfact: 1:08pm On Nov 06, 2012
It'll be real nice for any with right info on stuff to please speak up. I really wonder how genuine that is. Seems Lagos has been in business of re-inventing/exhuming long dead and buried tax/money spinning laws. Arent poor Lagosians gonna get drowned in these multitaxes?
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Remii(m): 1:21pm On Nov 06, 2012
zayhal: @Remii

Hope you were not duped. I paid N1500 for it and got receipt. It's N1500 per annum in Lagos.

in ogun they have list of tariffs to make life of unfortunate travelers miserable
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Remii(m): 1:25pm On Nov 06, 2012
Hardfact: It'll be real nice for any with right info on stuff to please speak up. I really wonder how genuine that is. Seems Lagos has been in business of re-inventing/exhuming long dead and buried tax/money spinning laws. Arent poor Lagosians gonna get drowned in these multitaxes?

that is the problem with law, so many laws are in law book that have not been expunged so any mischievous can and will take advantage.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Joe980: 1:34pm On Nov 06, 2012
What's the tenement rate all about again? Thought that is why we pay LAND USE charge.
eGuerrilla:

Source: http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/subpage.php?k=17

1 Like

Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by born2boink(m): 1:37pm On Nov 06, 2012
I think I will sell my TV, I kukuma no dey gbadun ham anymore since I have quit watching bluefilm
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by manny4life(m): 1:48pm On Nov 06, 2012
How does eko ile usually say it grin grin grin grin

eko o ni baje o grin grin grin... I said it correct, right? grin grin grin grin
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by deaconfrost: 1:59pm On Nov 06, 2012
azpekuliar: @eGuerrilla you beat me to that post. let's halt this ignorance! Local Governments are statutorily empowered to collect a Radio and TV license permit. It's a tax accruing to the coffers of the local government.

Pay your tax! Eko O ni baje o!

Yes, you are right. I have checked the constitution. But how much is it? How do they know how has TV or/and Radio? You just can't walk up to people and serve them notices based on assumptions. Haba! We go run for Nigeria? Na wa ooh embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by kidiat: 2:19pm On Nov 06, 2012
Don't bother urself, is when u need to get something doing at local govt council d will ask u for d receipt is then u will pay, it shd not be more than N500 per anum, just ignore them, d can't arrest u for such.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Koolking(m): 2:24pm On Nov 06, 2012
It's a legal tax. Not necessarily you own a radio or television in your home or office. Personally, Radio and TV taxes are rip-off by Lagos state govt.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by forkadict(m): 2:46pm On Nov 06, 2012
Omo, I tire o.

I was served the same sheet a couple of months back. Mind you, I am on DSTV 2-4-7 and I hardly listen to the radio. So i asked myself on what basis I.diotic fashola and his goons had to serve me the summon. Most disgusting part of the saga was the threat to try me in a customary court. (Egbami ke)

Seriously, I can't think of any good achievement fashola has recorded in this second term of his other than to cause lagosians unneccessary hardship. Bas.tard
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by holluwai(m): 3:06pm On Nov 06, 2012
Does this mean I will pay for listening to radio on my handset or watching tv from my chinko phone? Omo we go fight gan o

2 Likes

Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by munaco: 3:09pm On Nov 06, 2012
what is the need. do u have electricity? tell dem to carry the tv and radio
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by slap1(m): 3:16pm On Nov 06, 2012
If this one enter Abia State, na wahala o. Na 15k for plasma and home theatre, 5k for the others. I bow for T. A Orji.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Michymi: 3:29pm On Nov 06, 2012
Boyoorisha: I stay somewhere around Ire Akari, Isolo in Lagos. I got home yesterday and my neighbor told me that we have been served a criminal summons to appear in customary court for failure to obtain Radio and TV permit. I have not heard of this before in Nigeria! Please share your experience if you have been a victim

A television licence (or broadcast receiving licence) is official permission required in many countries for the reception of television broadcasts, or the possession of a television set. The licence is sometimes also required to own or receive radio broadcasts. A TV licence is generally a hypothecated tax for the purpose of funding public broadcasting, thus allowing public broadcasters to transmit television programmes without, or with only supplemental, funding from radio and television advertisements

Country Price Price in Euro[3]
Foo 10 10 10-10-2000
Albania 800 L €5.81
Austria TV – €223.32 to €279.72. Radio – €65.52 to €82.32. €335.14 (total of TV and radio licences)
Belgium Wallonia: €149.67 for TV and €26.72 for radio. Flanders: abolished. €172.39 (total of TV and radio licences)
Bosnia and Herzegovina €36.00 €36.00
Bulgaria Abolished N/A
Croatia Up to €137 €137.00
Cyprus Abolished N/A
Czech Republic 1620 Kč €65.94
Denmark 2,260 kr €303.35
Estonia None exists N/A
Finland €244.90 to €253.80 €253.80
France €121.00 €121.00
Georgia N/A N/A
Germany TV & radio – €215.76. Radio only – € 69.12. €215.76
Greece €51.60 (Paid on electrical bills) €51.60
Hungary Abolished N/A
Iceland 32,460 kr €213.50
Ireland €160.00 €160.00
Israel TV ₪369 - Radio ₪114 TV €75 - Radio €23
Italy €112.00 €112.00
Kosovo N/A N/A
Latvia N/A N/A
Liechtenstein None exists N/A
Lithuania None exists N/A
Luxembourg None exists N/A
Republic of Macedonia MKD 1560 €25.99
Malta €34.40 €34.40
Moldova N/A N/A
Monaco None exists N/A
Montenegro €3.50 per month €42.00
Netherlands Abolished N/A
Norway 2.580.12 NOK[4] €337.39
Poland TV (inc. radio) - 199,80 zł Radio - 59,40 zł €52.57
Portugal Abolished N/A
Romania 48 Romanian lei €11.27
Russia None exists N/A
San Marino N/A N/A
Slovakia €42 €42.00
Slovenia €132 €132.00
Serbia €46.50 (€10 for car radio) €56.50
South Ossetia N/A N/A
Spain None exists N/A
Sweden 2076 kr €232.47
Switzerland CHF 462.40 €385.00
Turkey 2% of electricity bill and indirect charge on appliance at purchase N/A
Ukraine None exists N/A
United Kingdom

Its not new go pay ur tax. sorry about the way they carry out the demand grin
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by oyeleyemaureen(m): 3:39pm On Nov 06, 2012
Radio and tv license. 4 wetin
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by kingsceemark(m): 4:10pm On Nov 06, 2012
Asaba man: I no kukuma get tv or radio for house
Those criminals no care 2 know weda you get or you no get, na only pay dem dey after.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 06, 2012
Boyoorisha: I stay somewhere around Ire Akari, Isolo in Lagos. I got home yesterday and my neighbor told me that we have been served a criminal summons to appear in customary court for failure to obtain Radio and TV permit. I have not heard of this before in Nigeria! Please share your experience if you have been a victim
u just come Lagos....this has been on since the 80's.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by pedal101(m): 4:22pm On Nov 06, 2012
OP AS LONG AS YOUR LANDLORD HAS PAID THE TENEMENT RATE THEN YOU HAVE NO REASON PAYING FOR ANY RADIO OR TV PERMIT. THEY ARE ONLY PLAYING ON THE IGNORANCE OF LAGOSIANS. THE STATE GOVERNMENT HAS STATED IT THAT ONCE YOU PAY YOUR TENEMENT THEN NO NEED FOR ALL THAT CRAP. TRY GET YOUR RECEIPT FOR TENEMENT PAYMENT IT IS BOLDLY WRITTEN THERE.

1 Like

Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by eliznkiru: 4:28pm On Nov 06, 2012
in my own area we pay for tv and radio permit last year but i have not hear from then dis year ooo infact when i heard it i was so shock and i ask people in dat area dey said dat is how they having been paying it very soon we will be paying for phone usage
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 06, 2012
its paid in the UK as well, once u buy a new tv. The retailer would send your details to the authorities.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Boyoorisha: 4:41pm On Nov 06, 2012
eGuerrilla: @OP, I was completely ignorant about this particular requirement until you mentioned it.

Source: http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/subpage.php?k=17

Thanks guy, now I know it is legal!
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by chievo: 5:02pm On Nov 06, 2012
enesy4u: Omg so i should pay 1500 for a small paluto radio i bought for 200naira
.....Just give dem d radio wen eva dey cme.....

1 Like

Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Goodmeals(f): 5:23pm On Nov 06, 2012
enesy4u: Omg so i should pay 1500 for a small paluto radio i bought for 200naira
HAHAHAH LOL trow d radio away oh...
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by gulfer: 7:20pm On Nov 06, 2012
They should be reminded that my chinco phone get radio, my laptop has internet radio, I watch onlineTV on my desktop, my car carries a DVD and a radio............ How much is my bill, tell you, this should be abolished; is there any reason why the local governments are in existence? You only see them close to reelection...SMH.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by gulfer: 7:22pm On Nov 06, 2012
Remii:

in ogun they have list of tariffs to make life of unfortunate travelers miserable
So, what does this portend for travellers to Ogun state and other ACN states, na by force to generate revenue?
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Jarus(m): 9:30pm On Nov 06, 2012
As the Tax Accountant for my company, I handle this for my company.

It is payable to Local Government Council.

On personal level, I have never paid. On my way to Kwara at Ogun state during the last sallah, they mounted roadblock for that purpose but I sped past them.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by ifyalways(f): 11:12pm On Nov 06, 2012
^ok this is getting more ridiculous. Wait! They expect you to pay then carry the reciept about?haha.

@zayhal, salams. I'm fine and around dear.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by otokx(m): 7:08am On Nov 07, 2012
legal
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by ODUANEGRO: 8:43am On Nov 07, 2012
This is not a new thing at all. Media licensing had been in the books for decades it just had lapsed and never enforced. Lagos is bringing back its enforcement.

The Western Region, back when it had the WNTV (first tv station in Africa) and WNBC (first radio statiin in Nigeria), raised its own revenue through licensing. If you did not pay you will receive a citation plus carry a debt and if you are delinquent your receiver will be shut off.

This was back when there were inspectors and regulators and enforcers and the society was orderly and bureaucracy worked. In Lagos, a lot of the enforcement was done by the LCC - Lagos City Council.

How did I know this? lol, I saw this old redifussion box my grandfather owned and started asking questions about it. I got plenty education on it. It had only one channell by the way..... They had a theme drum when it was time for Irohin - news and it went like this...... ninu ikoko dudu lati'n se 'be.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by 999666: 1:43pm On Nov 07, 2012
ODUA_NEGRO: This is not a new thing at all. Media licensing had been in the books for decades it just had lapsed and never enforced. Lagos is bringing back its enforcement.

The Western Region, back when it had the WNTV (first tv station in Africa) and WNBC (first radio statiin in Nigeria), raised its own revenue through licensing. If you did not pay you will receive a citation plus carry a debt and if you are delinquent your receiver will be shut off.

This was back when there were inspectors and regulators and enforcers and the society was orderly and bureaucracy worked. In Lagos, a lot of the enforcement was done by the LCC - Lagos City Council.

How did I know this? lol, I saw this old redifussion box my grandfather owned and started asking questions about it. I got plenty education on it. It had only one channell by the way..... They had a theme drum when it was time for Irohin - news and it went like this...... ninu ikoko dudu lati'n se 'be.

Still remember that theme. It was from a talking drum though. My grandmother used to interpret it as: "bi olubadan ba ku, ta ni o joye?" Happy days
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Dec 10, 2012
plz o,we just got served this evening with α customary law suit o..ℓ̊'ve never see any like ds buh shldnt dey at least bring α bill b4 dey take u 2court Plz ℓ̊ need advice,wat shld ℓ̊ do?? Go 2d local gvmnt or jst head 2d bank straight?? And plz how srz is ds stuff Tnks
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by jbdn: 3:39pm On Nov 27, 2013
OKAY SO , EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A TV LIKE I DON'T IN MY OFFICE , I MUST STILL PAY THIS?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fani-kayode Discharged, Acquitted Of Money Laundering / Oyo Government Demolishes House Of Suspected Sponsor Of Yoruba Nation Agitators / Army Establishes Camp For Repentant Boko Haram Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.