Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,103 members, 7,953,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:59 PM

Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? (20033 Views)

Rivers Re-run: What Amechi Said On Radio And MY Message To The APC, / Revalidation Of Tinted Permit, Firearms Licence Begins Today / Will Biafrans Need Work Permit In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Boyoorisha: 10:33am On Nov 06, 2012
I stay somewhere around Ire Akari, Isolo in Lagos. I got home yesterday and my neighbor told me that we have been served a criminal summons to appear in customary court for failure to obtain Radio and TV permit. I have not heard of this before in Nigeria! Please share your experience if you have been a victim
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by gulfer: 12:05pm On Nov 06, 2012
Boyoorisha: I stay somewhere around Ire Akari, Isolo in Lagos. I got home yesterday and my neighbor told me that we have been served a criminal summons to appear in customary court for failure to obtain Radio and TV permit. I have not heard of this before in Nigeria! Please share your experience if you have been a victim
But seriously this is getting crazy after paying the state's tax; very soon it will be mobile phone usage tax. Eko O ni baje o!
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by maninmood(m): 12:05pm On Nov 06, 2012
You should pay for your TV license bra wink
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Chanchit: 12:06pm On Nov 06, 2012
Make them come try am for my area if them wan do xmas for hospital.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Asabaman(m): 12:07pm On Nov 06, 2012
I no kukuma get tv or radio for house

2 Likes

Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Boyoorisha: 12:10pm On Nov 06, 2012
maninmood: You should pay for your TV license bra wink

What is TV licence bra?
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Chanchit: 12:10pm On Nov 06, 2012
Asaba man: I no kukuma get tv or radio for house

why did you change ur first post...? I thought you said you were the first person to comment...
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by kton(m): 12:11pm On Nov 06, 2012
This madness has been in existence for long mostly in surulere/Aguda/Ijeshatedo areas,only that people never take it serious.
Don't just mind the idiots.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by coogar: 12:11pm On Nov 06, 2012
Boyoorisha: I stay somewhere around Ire Akari, Isolo in Lagos. I got home yesterday and my neighbor told me that we have been served a criminal summons to appear in customary court for failure to obtain Radio and TV permit. I have not heard of this before in Nigeria! Please share your experience if you have been a victim

that's the equivalent of tv license, the law should have been enforced 30 yrs ago.....every lagosian should be paying tv license.....
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 06, 2012
Is that even possible ?
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by zayhal(f): 12:17pm On Nov 06, 2012
The notice was served to all houses weeks ago and those who have not paid are summoned to court. It all seem like a joke. You just get to your gate and find a white paper either on the floor or hanging somewhere around the gate. What if it gets blown away before the house occupants get there? Or a kid picks it up and just tears it or throws it somewhere? How can people take it seriously when those in charge of it are so careless about it?

Anyway @OP, the fee is N1500 per annum. You can pay to the guy that serves the notice or go pay to the bank. And if you have a little time on your hand, go to court and fight it out.

1 Like

Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by mcgaius: 12:17pm On Nov 06, 2012
This is pure fraud so beware.After they will ask you to come and pay at either Alausa or Mushin office.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by topsyking: 12:18pm On Nov 06, 2012
I remember when I was young some govt official do come for those license then..but I don't think dey still do that anymore...many laws we av in lagos in the 60's but fashola is tryin to bring dem back..been a lawyer he shld av read a lot of lagos law in d olden days
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by ifyalways(f): 12:22pm On Nov 06, 2012
Never been served. Didn't even know it was in place here. First place I noticed TV and radio license was in Accra, GH.

For those in the know, why must folks pay?what do you stand to gain when you pay, better reception/ transmission ? Lolz
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by zayhal(f): 12:22pm On Nov 06, 2012
Yes, I asked what if I do not have a TV or radio in my house, he said I still have to pay. The assumption is that all houses have TVs and radios. A very wrong assumption. Some religious peeps don't have/watch TV. They believe it's a sin.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 06, 2012
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by zayhal(f): 12:28pm On Nov 06, 2012
@Ify

If you do not pay, they'll keep harassing you with court summons and what-nots although I've not seen anyone who's actually faced charges before. The guy serving the papers also said that they'll lock the
gates of defaulters.

Btw, how are you?
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Remii(m): 12:29pm On Nov 06, 2012
it is all over the country, i was delayed for almost an hour at somewhere around odogbolu ogun state while going home for salah for radio tv licenses each @ N7500. We had to part with N3500 as part payment with one kind of receipt issued to us before we were let go. its also common in the east too, especially around onitsha and some part of rivers state.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by zayhal(f): 12:33pm On Nov 06, 2012
@Remii

Hope you were not duped. I paid N1500 for it and got receipt. It's N1500 per annum in Lagos.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by deaconfrost: 12:33pm On Nov 06, 2012

I stay at Isolo too. My neighbour asked me to contribute my quota and I refused. Out of 10 co-tenants, 9 paid. I argued it out with them since I don't have any of the mentioned. So why should I pay? He reasoned with me, and fortunately for us, we have a government official working at Alausa. We called the number that was inscribed and the man picked and told us that he was in office at Isolo LCDA. We got there this morning at about 8:45 am today. My fellow NLanders, you should come and see how the man was stuttering and unable to defend himself. All he could utter was "well, that, even, you see...". I told him that I will serve a him a court notice instead of him serving us. Thieves. If only all of us could make out time out of our busy schedule, I bet you this illegal levies will surely STOP. We are not complaining of our taxes that they are misappropriating, still they want to come and steal our bread from our mouth. BIG LIE! IT WON'T WORK, at least not from my side.

1 Like

Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by FASTLINK1: 12:34pm On Nov 06, 2012
who does the money go to, government or the stakeholders?
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by deaconfrost: 12:34pm On Nov 06, 2012
coogar:

that's the equivalent of tv license, the law should have been enforced 30 yrs ago.....every lagosian should be paying tv license.....

@coogar - kindly give us a tangible reason for tv and radio license
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by coogar: 12:35pm On Nov 06, 2012
deaconfrost:
@coogar - kindly give us a tangible reason for tv and radio license

ifyalways: Never been served. Didn't even know it was in place here. First place I noticed TV and radio license was in Accra, GH.

For those in the know, why must folks pay?what do you stand to gain when you pay, better reception/ transmission ? Lolz

folks are asked to pay to help the government fund public broadcasting! once people start paying, the boring commercial adverts would disappear in the government-owned broadcasting services. ifyalways, very soon - you would be watching superstory without any commercial break like the ariel advert........."the fish come stain my boree -as i add the oil, the oil come join the fish stain, everything come stain my boree" grin cheesy grin

heck, i could strangle that woman then....she's so annoying!
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by enesy4u(m): 12:49pm On Nov 06, 2012
Omg so i should pay 1500 for a small paluto radio i bought for 200naira
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 06, 2012
@OP, I was completely ignorant about this particular requirement until you mentioned it.

The main objectives of this Law are to make clear the levies which the Local Government Councils and Local Council Development Areas in Lagos State can legitimately collect and to regulate the manner in which those taxes may be collected by or on behalf of the Councils. It is therefore clearly illegal now for any Local Government official to collect any levy other than the ones listed in the schedule to the Law as follows:

Levies to be collected by the Local Government Authorities
Shops and kiosks rates.
Approved open market levy.
Tenement rates.
Licensing fee for sale of liquor.
Slaughter slab license fee in abattoirs under local government control.
Marriage, birth and death registration fees.
Street naming registration fee.
Motor park levy (including Motorcycles and Tricycles).
Parking fee on local government streets or roads as may be approved by the State Government.
Domestic animal licence fee (excluding poultry farmers).
Licence fees for bicycles, trucks, canoes, wheelbarrows and carts (other than a mechanically propelled trucks).
Radio and television licence fee (excluding radio and television in motor vehicles, transmitters and other communication equipment).
Public convenience, sewage and refuse disposal fees.
Cemetery and burial ground permit fee.
Permit fee for private entertainment and merriment in public places (excluding roads and streets).
Wharf Landing Fees.

Source: http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/subpage.php?k=17
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Redmosquito(m): 12:50pm On Nov 06, 2012
Minion: Ur Evilship, wats the problem?
Hades: Am I soft?
Minion: Definitely not! My King. Look! I have gained twelve scars in the last two hours and have lost eighteen kilos
Hades: That is nothing! Look at Nigeria! The way they are made to suffer is ingenious. I look up to their leaders for inspiration, I really wish I had such creativity with pain
Minion: Strange! Ur Wickedness! I agree wit u
Hades: I just hope their politicians wont overthrow me when they die embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by davou4eva(m): 12:52pm On Nov 06, 2012
Think ℓ̊ need to know the justification for this.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by mrperfect(m): 12:53pm On Nov 06, 2012
We use to read about this when we were in Secondary school.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by azpekuliar: 12:56pm On Nov 06, 2012
@eGuerrilla you beat me to that post. let's halt this ignorance! Local Governments are statutorily empowered to collect a Radio and TV license permit. It's a tax accruing to the coffers of the local government.

Pay your tax! Eko O ni baje o!
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Youngzedd(m): 12:59pm On Nov 06, 2012
Surprise!!

This is serious, I haven't heard of this before.
They no fit do am for east.
Which kin tin be dis small time now person will start paying for looking at people(ladies) on the road.
Hehe.
Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Venchy: 1:00pm On Nov 06, 2012
Umm this is serious and it's becoming dangerous.

I do understand people have to pay tax in other to raise money for the development of the states but I totally disagree with this idea of TV and RADIO licence.

We are NIGERIANS and upcoming country that's struggling in so many ways and the citizens are on diet of 001/011.

I'm a fan of Governor Fash but I'll suggest he withdraw from this agenda and find another area to generate money for the state.

I live in UK and you'll only pay licence if the Government know that you have TV, we are not well served with good programs and the TV station are of no standard with all the international tv station.

We hear BREAKING NEWS about NIGERIA in London before people in Nigeria.....what a shambles TV stations and Journalism.....

Sorry it's not worth paying for

1 Like

Re: Radio And TV Permit In Lagos; Legal Or Illegal? by Youngzedd(m): 1:06pm On Nov 06, 2012
enesy4u: Omg so i should pay 1500 for a small paluto radio i bought for 200naira

Wahala dey for ur side.
Beta throw it away now u still have the time.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty / Kaduna APC Passes Vote Of No Confidence On El-rufai / Lesson From Governor Umahi's Visit To Abia By Philip Nweze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.