Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,548 members, 7,819,947 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? (16323 Views)

What Are You Going To Do Differently In The Month Of March? / What Would You Do Differently If The Hand Of Clock Was Turned Back? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Rocktation(f): 1:18pm On Nov 06, 2012
Is there something you wish you had done differently, on or before your wedding day?
Or perhaps it's not at your wedding/ you're unmarried, but still noticed a few things at other people's, that could've been better?
You could be saving intending couples from the frustration, with any info you can share. Be you a man or a woman.

In restrospect, I never would've sold aso-ebi. Laye Laye. Or I prolly should've given out the gifts that go with them, the same time I was distributing them. Cos never did I imagine that a single person could buy only a six-yard bundle, share among one million family members of his, and then set them to struggle for 'their right' at the wedding....If only the wahala stops there. The rightful owners are still asking for their gifts till date.

I also would've eaten before allowing myself, be zapped away to the church and reception venue, to suffer long hours of starvation, while the guests smacked down on those chicken laps. Tsk tsk tsk.

And worse, our pick-up ride was late. This is like a major wedding challenge for everyone. I should've asked the driver to sleep over at our place, and inside the vehicle, just so they won't magically lose themselves or their way, when they're supposed to be taking us to the venue.

How about you? Any regrets? Share.

9 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Abujafood: 1:59pm On Nov 06, 2012
Didn't hire a professional wedding planner!

1 Like

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 06, 2012
Non 4now!!
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by toskaly(m): 2:01pm On Nov 06, 2012
Commit it to GOD 1st
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by iamswizz(m): 2:04pm On Nov 06, 2012
Ok
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Exponental(m): 2:06pm On Nov 06, 2012
Ensure d ring is not 4gotten @ home.

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Ramcie(f): 2:06pm On Nov 06, 2012
Hehe! Am almost there and have started making so many mistakes. Have made up my mind that I won't distribute Aso-ebi . So whatever gift I give out, no one would complain that it's too small or not sufficient considering the amount they spent buying the Aso-ebi.

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Gee001: 2:06pm On Nov 06, 2012
Still thinking
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 06, 2012
I'm still single grin
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by SELFWORTH: 2:08pm On Nov 06, 2012
....Based on the stress my friend went through, I would advise hiring professionals with proper references. If possible avoid Nigerian professionals who do not know the meaning of timeliness, duty of care and customer service.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by ariyebaba(m): 2:09pm On Nov 06, 2012
i ' m single..................... cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Nov 06, 2012
I would have paid the extra 30k that the other DJ asked for.

The DJ that convinced my father-in-law that he was cheaper and better was ....well... a disappointment.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by a1solution: 2:17pm On Nov 06, 2012
SELFWORTH: ....Based on the stress my friend went through, I would advise hiring professionals with proper references. If possible avoid Nigerian professionals who do not know the meaning of timeliness, duty of care and customer service.
so a Nigerian should hire foreigners just because of wedding? Does people from other countries know Nigerian culture so as to organize the wedding properly?

3 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 06, 2012
not married yet..but i would like to commit mine to God first

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by lakefist(m): 2:19pm On Nov 06, 2012
toskaly: Commit it to GOD 1st
GOD WILL NOT COME DOWN AND PLAN YOUR WEDDING FOR YOU....LEARN FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE WEDDED

9 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 06, 2012
I needed 2 rehearse some dancing steps a nite b4 d wedding
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by dominique(f): 2:20pm On Nov 06, 2012
Me i made the same mistake on my engagement and wedding days- didn't eat all day cry. All i had was the cakes we fed ourselves. Another mistake was letting the planner take charge of the whole thing including buying the fabrics. I would never had picked that horrible organza lace. All in all i thank God for everything and the aftermath.

1 Like

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by eva4(f): 2:26pm On Nov 06, 2012
Married a different man grin

3 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by AmenJoan(f): 2:28pm On Nov 06, 2012
I shd have included an only cash gifts note in the invitations. I still have a room full of glassware & other non essesntials that I may not exhaust in 5yrs. I shd have cut down on party favours, though I plan to give out the rest for our anniversary.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by deols(f): 2:35pm On Nov 06, 2012
Not married yet but was a part of a family one not long ago.

the mistake we made was putting people from outside(kinda professionals) in charge and they couldn't give family members who thought they deserved better attention the attention they needed.

Also family members couldnt quickly get something for their late friends..things went too professional grin

Next time, I'd want certain things kept aside for members of the family and others who did the up and down runnings.

1 Like

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Rocktation(f): 2:35pm On Nov 06, 2012
Amen Joan: I shd have included an only cash gifts note in the invitations. I still have a room full of glassware & other non essesntials that I may not exhaust in 5yrs. I shd have cut down on party favours, though I plan to give out the rest for our anniversary.

Yeah, I noticed that a lot of Naija people give glasses as wedding gifts...hmmn. Anyway, at all at all is the devil. smiley
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by eyzeberg: 2:35pm On Nov 06, 2012
I would have planned everything to be a single day event.engagement n trad early in d morning, church n reception after. Dem chop my money. Be wise.

1 Like

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Elgaxton(m): 2:42pm On Nov 06, 2012
I didn't smile during the wedding photo session...

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by pharuk: 2:42pm On Nov 06, 2012
Thank you for this post.

Got married last year to the love of my life. Few things i hatred.

1. wife cam in late (even though its a normal practise) too late is very annoying, chior had sang all the songs, finished all the hymns and wife never come

2. over priced bloody MC came late and had the worst joke ever.

3. we thought we could plan it ourself, EPIC FAIL!!! get a wedding planner

4. My guys forgot to plan an after party, weddind ended by 10pm and people were looking for a place to go.

5. hired a church videographer missed most of the important shots and stopped the video to chase a babe.

6. hired a bouncy castle that no kid used.

7. custom made wedding clothes that my groom men and myself cant wear again.

o boy, infact, brothers and sisters, i fully support the simpliest wedding, tried to impress people and figured out the hard way that people can never be impressed no matter what.

26 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by stynoski: 2:43pm On Nov 06, 2012
1. I should have left home an hour earlier than I did because of Abuja hold-up. My bride was in church waiting for me...
2. I could have used a DJ rather than waste money on a Live Celebrity Band...
3. I could have sent out less invitation cards... most of the people I travelled and spent time and money inviting did not show up... instead other people I did not even expect showed up...

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by ypzilanti: 2:46pm On Nov 06, 2012
All this obsession with weddings.

We see pictures on facebook, on twitter, in news paper pages. They all look sweet and beautiful.

Now how I wish people could post pictures of their marriages.

Smh.

5 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by firestar(f): 2:47pm On Nov 06, 2012
Not married yet but from participating:

Location. Location. Location.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by prettiest1(f): 2:56pm On Nov 06, 2012
Ramcie: Hehe! Am almost there and have started making so many mistakes. Have made up my mind that I won't distribute Aso-ebi . So whatever gift I give out, no one would complain that it's too small or not sufficient considering the amount they spent buying the Aso-ebi.

Please, what is Aso-ebi?

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by MadCow1: 3:04pm On Nov 06, 2012
[b]First and foremost:

1. Location, location, Location.. Easy to find and comfortable.. I have seen weddings end early because people started leaving because it was too hot, or the rains came (Outdoor) or a strong wind pulled down the Marquee..

2. Food & Drnks.: There is no such thing as too much food & Drinks at a wedding.. No protocols to the feeding as well.. F`uck 'Item 7', let your guest alway have something to snack & Drink on from start to finish.. If you estimate 10 guests, buy drinks for 30.

3. Music: OMG!!! I always advice a Live band and a D.J.. Bad music = Bad Wedding

4. Services: Please hire adequate waiters.. 1 waiter to 10 guests maximum. They should be well mannered and effiecient.. No favouritism.. Everyone gets the same things..

5. Alco-F`ucking-hol: I cant stress this enough.. Alcohol loosens up your guests and gets you an amazing party.. Create a seperate area for your church people, but make sure people have what they want to drink..

6. Power: ALWAYS HAVE ATLEAST 1 back-up Generator.. If you can, 2 back-up Generators..

7. GET AN EVENT MANAGER/PLANNER.... NEVER EVER TRY TO PLAN YOUR WEDDING YOURSELF>>[/b]

6 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by sugar001(f): 3:06pm On Nov 06, 2012
Faints.
pharuk: Thank you for this post.

1. wife cam in late (even though its a normal practise) too late is very annoying, chior had sang all the songs, finished all the hymns and wife never come

4. My guys forgot to plan an after party, weddind ended by 10pm and people were looking for a place to go.

5. hired a church videographer missed most of the important shots and stopped the video to chase a babe.

o boy, infact, brothers and sisters, i fully support the simpliest wedding, tried to impress people and figured out the hard way that people can never be impressed no matter what.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by SirJohn(m): 3:11pm On Nov 06, 2012
pharuk: Thank you for this post.

On point

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Party/Owambe Are You Attending Today? / Wishing A Happy Birthday To Two Lovely Ladies: Sisi Jinx And Karmamod :) / Bola Tinubu Celebrates His 69th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.