Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Hausa And Yoruba Communities In Anambra Battle Govt. Over Cattle Land - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa And Yoruba Communities In Anambra Battle Govt. Over Cattle Land (778 Views)

Calling On NDIGBO; Time To Take Over Cattle (beef And Milk) Business In West Afr / Ambode Visits Scene Of Hausa And Yoruba Fight Scene In Agiliti, Mile 12 - Photos / Trouble Over Cattle Menace In Abia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hausa And Yoruba Communities In Anambra Battle Govt. Over Cattle Land by Germannig: 2:45pm On Jan 31, 2008
The battle over who is the legitimate owner of River Niger Bridge Head live stock market led to the death of two persons. The traders had protested the state government directives that they should relocate to another designated area on the grounds that their presence is defacing the main entrance into the state from Asaba town in Delta State. They had contended however that the land was given to them by the Federal Government, adding that the new market site is too remote for their business.
The war of eye ball to eye ball got to its climax last Saturday when they protested and the soldiers in a bid to averting break down of law and order shot two persons and as at press time the tribe or state of origin of the persons are not known.

Though the Igbo own shops in the livestock market in Onitsha, the major dealers in the market are mostly Hausa and Yourba.

A dealer in the market, Yinusa Idris, said: "We were there when it happened but I cannot say if they are Igbo or Hausa or Yoruba or Tiv. But I know the number of Igbo in that demonstration were not much. One of the traders was dragging the gun with a soldier and in the process they started firing.

"But I know that this type of thing can lead to a more serious problem. I pray that it doesn’t happen."

Daily Independent however gathered that before the incident the Hausa-Fulani traders had petitioned the Sultan of Sokoto and two prominent Emirs from Northern Nigeria and observers are not what happens next. At the moment of sending this report, there has not been any statement from any of the tribal groups.

But breaking the silence, Mr. Tunde Adegbenjo, the President of Ekpe Omo Oduduwa in Anambra State sued for peace and calm.

"It is my belief that no war does anybody or group any good. Matters that could be resolved peacefully should not be settled through bloodshed.

"We have Igbo in Lagos and all parts of Yoruba land and we have been doing business together. So I do not see any reason for hostility. It is also natural that as human beings, we may have some misunderstanding but it is better that it is resolved peacefully.

"So it is the submission of we the Yoruba community that we shall continue to be law abiding and we also have confidence on Governor Peter Obi in resolving the matter. We on our part would ensure that our people are law abiding and we shall conduct our selves in the most responsible manner. However, we urge His Excellency to ensure that the lives and property of our people are protected as we go about our daily activities."

While the Yoruba community expresses its love for peaceful coexistence, the governor had already assured non-Igbo speaking people in the state and also Anambra people that the state would remain calm.

Obi further noted that he as a businessman and a traveler knows what it means for peace and harmony while doing business, adding that whatever that happened is highly regretted and extended the condolences of the state government to the families of the deceased.

Obi steps toward dousing the growing tension in Anambra over the incident has received commendation from observers, but knocks have continued to go to the law enforcement agents who they alleged get to over zealous at the least provocation. However, pundits still insist that the state government can go a step further to call a meeting of tribes in the state as quickly as possible to harmonize their problems and also establish contacts with their respective governors and elders to draw a final nail on the matter.

Similarly, facilities at the new live stock market should be put in place before the relocation can be effected. However, it is on record that it is only in the South East geopolitical zone that other ethnic groups stand their grounds even when they are threats to law and order. Observers further contended that Ndigbo had suffered several forms of deprivation in most states in Northern Nigeria as well as all the markets in Lagos State without going on a protest
http://www.independentngonline.com/?c=139&a=9998

(1) (Reply)

The Worst Cases Of Human Rights Violation / The Untouchables / My Sweetheart Rocked The House Tonight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.