Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,243 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn (21164 Views)

Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / The 3 Major Senegambian Languages / A Nigerian Word That Has The Same Meaning In D 3 Major Tribes Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
Yoruba is hard, tbh.

If I hadn't been able to speak it, I'd have drop the advance level I took. So complicated.

And the counting system, walahi! angry
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by davidugotex(m): 1:19pm On Nov 09, 2012
odumchi:

The term "Igbo language" actually represents two types of speech forms: Igbo Izugbe (Standard written/spoken Igbo)and Olumba (pure unstandardized written/spoke Igbo). The first was "manufactured" by linguists who sought to create a means for the Igbo peoples to communicate with each other unhindered by the constraints of intelligibility. Speaking any one of these two technically counts as "speaking Igbo", even though the former was constructed as an amalgam of various dialects from the latter. As a result of this, most Igbo people actually speak two forms of Igbo: the centralized one (which is said to be intelligible to every Igbo person) and the un-centralized one (which varies greatly).

I think the thing that makes Igbo seem difficult is the sheer variety of variations (in tonalit, nasalization, and lexicon) within it. Take the word ehihe (evening) for example. It is the centralized form of the word evening. However in the un-centralized realm, others say mgbe anyasi, mgbe abali, mgbe abani, and evivie. I also don't think that the Igbo language is so related to another language (maybe aside from Idoma) that a speaker of that language would have a considerable learning advantage over a speaker from another when learning it (this is all within the southern Nigerian context).

Did u say that 'ehihie' means evening? O boy, no be dis same Igbo Izugbe wey dey teach me for schl? Abi u learn ur own for Singapore? Abeg ehihie is/and still remains noon, also check ur spelling.
I agree with other things u said earlier though.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by naturalwaves: 1:21pm On Nov 09, 2012
Hmmmm The easiest is Hausa language. I served in the North and I was able to learn the basics and conversate effectively within one week of studying the language.

Most people claiming Igbo language is tougher than Yoruba actually grew up and live in Lagos or lived most of their lives in Lagos so when their relations or parents speak Igbo to them, they find it a lil tough. Moreover, the type of Yoruba that is spoken in Lagos is not a core one. It is the adulterated version. I have never attempted knowing or learning Igbo so I cannot say much on it.

There are various factors that will determine what language is the hardest e.g How accommodating and friendly the host community is....Hausas are so accommodatting and friendly likewise the Yorubas. The Hausas will be so happy to teach you their language, if you make a mistake, they will correct you in a loving manner. Infact, once they know you are a stranger,they are always happy merely hearing you speak their language. Same cannot really be said about the Igbos. They are a lil bit hostile ( my sister served in Enugu). Another factor to consider is the time of exposure to the languages and many other things (I guess OP is not a scientist)

Until we get someone like Bisi Olatilo that is so versed in the three languages or someone that has lived in nearly equal periods in regions that speak the languages, we cannot really say which of the languages is the toughest. Although, Yoruba language is the most circulated, the most studied and the richest of the three languages, I can't say which is the toughest to learn.

2 Likes

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by EzePromoe: 1:28pm On Nov 09, 2012
afam4eva:
I actually learnt Igbo by learning Ikwerre first. I actually helped. But now i can't speak Ikwerre any longer except for a few phrase like "Bia Mbra bra", "e zega pele?" etc
I learnt Ikwerre under pressure from my maternal relations but i hate speaking it though it infilterates my Igbo tongue.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Afam4eva(m): 1:29pm On Nov 09, 2012
Eze Promoe:
I learnt Ikwerre under pressure from my maternal relations but i hate speaking it though it infilterates my Igbo tongue.
I actually want to know if the average Ikwerre person can converse with a central Igbo person. I mean can the average Ikwerre person speak Igbo or something close?
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by odumchi: 1:33pm On Nov 09, 2012
davidugotex:

Did u say that 'ehihie' means evening? O boy, no be dis same Igbo Izugbe wey dey teach me for schl? Abi u learn ur own for Singapore? Abeg ehihie is/and still remains noon, also check ur spelling.
I agree with other things u said earlier though.

Another person asked the same question and I wrote:
Thanks for correcting me there. I had one thing in mind and wrote another. What I meant to write was mgbede instead of ehihe. But at the same time, even ehihe has its own variations which are ukori and ukorli.

In Imo, some call evening udirishi while in parts of Anambra some call it uchichi. So far, that's seven names for the same word...
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by bigfrancis21: 1:34pm On Nov 09, 2012
Many lagosians pick up Yoruba because they grew up in lagos. Long before Nigeria became amalgamated, along the Niger delta, Igbo language was easily learned and spoken as a second language by the Ijaws, Ibibios and Efiks. As it stands now, go to akwa-ibom, calabar etc you'll find out that the older generation speak Igbo while the younger ones have little knowledge of Igbo, though they are willing to learn. The language of a city of importance/commerce is easily learned. In secondary school in Owerri, i had edo and ibibio friends who could speak Igbo so fluently, even more than me. angry. In Igbo class one day, my edo course mate stood up to respond to the teacher's question and spoke one correct igbo adage that I didn't even know. undecided undecided Apparently, I learnt that Igbo adage from an edo person! cheesy
Last week I went into an office in my former school and they were conversing in the Nsukka dialect. Nsukka dialect is very hard to understand to the average Igbo person let alone even speak. So I assumed that all of them were all Nsukka persons. But lo and behold one of them was a yoruba man, adebayo. Nna menn...come and see this man spitting not just igbo but Nsukka!! Geez...despite my 5 years in UNN I can only boast of few statements in Nsukka. cheesy. choi!!
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by InvertedHammer: 1:41pm On Nov 09, 2012
ChinenyeN: The orthodox understanding of 'Igbo language' is a weird one. According to the understanding, the various "dialects" of 'Igbo language' stand as a testimony of 'Igbo language'. So, as long as you speak any "dialect", you are claimed to be speaking 'Igbo language'. At the same time the idea of 'Igbo language' does not exist outside of its "dialects". Devoid 'Igbo' of its speech forms and you no longer have 'Igbo language'. So, in a simplified and contradictory explanation, all Igbo people speak Igbo, but no Igbo person really speaks Igbo language. It's weird.

Wonders shall never end! Your name is Chinenye and you are a man

1 Like

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Yujin(m): 1:53pm On Nov 09, 2012
Jah Man: I do not understand where you and Chinenye are getting your confusion from.
Like any other major language,there is what we call 'central Igbo' which is what is taught in Igbo Language in colleges.It is an amalgam of different local dialects in the geographical entity called Igboland.It is also expected that every Igbo indigene that has average education understands that.
Can Chinenye explain to me what is meant by 'artificial'?
Ehihie is not the same as evening odumchi.Ehihie(central Igbo) is rather afternoon.
Evening is 'anyasi' or 'mgbede'(central igbo), abani or abali(central igbo)=night.ututu(central igbo)=morning.
I have tried as much as possible to understand most local dialects in igboland excpet the 'okpoto' language in Ebonyi state which is extremely difficult.If you listen to those hawkers on 3rd mainland bridge,you may not know they are discussing in igbo.I know that because I lived around that area for 2 years.
Your observation and explanation is correct.
Morning= Ututu, Afternoon= Ehihe(Efife), Evening= Mgbede and Night= Abali(abani) or Anyasi. Methink it is Igbo. However, Igbo is not that difficult to learn. Just learn the one (central Igbo) spoken in any commercial place among Igbos. Wherever you go in Igboland, somebody must understand you. As per the dialects, once you understand central Igbo, addition and subtraction of words in the sentences is mostly what you need to fairly understand them.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by tohirah(f): 2:29pm On Nov 09, 2012
igbo but hausa is the easiest
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by DarkKnight1: 2:38pm On Nov 09, 2012
Based on interactions with my friends,Hausa is most certainly, the easiest to learn , followed by Yoruba(a lot of yoruba dudes speak the language fluently and are proud to show off their linguistic prowess).The most difficult by popular opinion is Igbo.This is because of its diversity.In Abia for instance,there are over 50 distinct variations or dialects of Igbo.I hear Igbo but when my cousins from enugu speak their dialect,boy,I just cant understand a thing.(Even most igbo dudes ve seen cant speak the language well)

However,after spending one year of National Service in Akwa Ibom,I am convinced that Ibibio Language(though unpopular) is one of the most complicated and difficult languages.None of the copas i knew was able to master the language.
Ibibio has a complex phonological structure and has a lot of nasal pronouciations.

The language is highly polyphonic and almost identical to what u see in chinese movies.When spoken,you may not even be able to pick up a word coz they speak so fast and the words flow together like a song.

1 Like

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Jarus(m): 2:39pm On Nov 09, 2012
Hausa easiest, followed by Yoruba, and Igbo the hardest.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by nagoma(m): 2:44pm On Nov 09, 2012
Andre Uweh: Igbo language.
Akwa-egg, akwa-cry, akwa-wrapper.
Nrubeisi-obedience, nrubeisi-overgrown hair.

Akwa Ibom?
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by achi4u(m): 2:53pm On Nov 09, 2012
Central Igbo makes Igbo language very easy to learn...followed by hausa.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Afam4eva(m): 2:55pm On Nov 09, 2012
Jarus: Hausa easiest, followed by Yoruba, and Igbo the hardest.
Have you ever tried learning Igbo? How do you know it's hard?
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by escobar07(m): 3:11pm On Nov 09, 2012
i dont know d hardest, but the simplest is hausa.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 09, 2012
Hausa'earsiest.igbo then. Yoruba hardest, have some yoruba friend that can speak igbo well jst because he grew in d same yard with igbo people in lagos. But some people have stayed 20years in lagos but can only understand kilode kiloshele owo tuale etc. Even in jos some berom that grew up with igbos in apata(igbo dominated area in jos) speaks igbo well.even some. Friends understand popular igbo cos they watch nollywood.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Lordave: 3:16pm On Nov 09, 2012
lecturerdabo:
AKWA-NMIRRI = TOWEL
research well
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by jarkata(m): 3:23pm On Nov 09, 2012
Tribalism apart,Hausa easy well well,during d NYSC in d north my students thaught me hausa and within 5 month i could hear,read and understand 65% and speak 40%.my friend dat serve in d east cannot even hear d fundamental of ibo lang.talkless of speaking it.i think Yoruba takes d second position after hausa follow by others
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Revolva(m): 3:42pm On Nov 09, 2012
Yoruba is easy as long as you live within lagos or yoruba speaking community but igbo is hard - I also heard hausa is also easy if you live in the core north - but I don't think I need it
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by chievo: 3:48pm On Nov 09, 2012
nekaa: Igbo is the hardest with yoruba being the easiest. I had an igbo teacher(for extar lessons at home, when i didnt av for regular subjects) back then buh I still find it hard to understand it (nobody is talking about speaking yet o), buh juss listening to ma mum speak yoruba I learnt it.
.....If say igbo is dificult, tru chinese na.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by billyG(m): 4:56pm On Nov 09, 2012
Igbo is d most difficult to learn & majority of igbo dnt want u 2 learn their language

1 Like

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Joe5(m): 5:48pm On Nov 09, 2012
Obañikònkonkon
òluwáni émi lágbarà
ire mi lonisékonko, ígbani tiñtintíntìntin
òko éjì......pls what language is this. I bit my tongue trying to learn it......lol
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Frostyzone(m): 6:38pm On Nov 09, 2012
As I was raised in Igbo and Yoruba, naturally I find both easy to converse with. Writing in them is another matter, though.
Hausa language on the other hand I have no experience with whatsoever. And not planning to either, because those that speak it fluently seem to have issues with English language vowels and consonants afterwards.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Frostyzone(m): 6:39pm On Nov 09, 2012
Anambra Igbo and Lagos Yoruba are both easy to learn.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Eifeh(m): 7:14pm On Nov 09, 2012
No language is hard, u cant stay in lagos and learn igbo or awusa and u cant stay in enugu and learn yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by aribisala0(m): 7:45pm On Nov 09, 2012
ChinenyeN: The hardest would have to be Igbo. Aside from the artificial dialect, there is no generally accepted standard. Then, even after learning the artificial dialect, you come to find out that it is practically useless to you, since most native speakers don't actively communicate in it. Instead, you hear tongues, accents, phonemes and even lexicon that are simply divergent.

Example; You learn 'ihere' (shame), based on the artificial dialect, only to come across a speaker saying 'whnuwhnerne'. This is just one of countless examples.

Don't get me wrong, each language has its selling points for difficulty, but the fact that Igbo can attest to such high degree of divergence, in such a comparatively close proximity, puts it a step or so above the rest (in my opinion), because learning 'Igbo' (the artificial dialect, doesn't mean you can speak with others, and that is the point of learning a language to begin with.
Igbo may be hardest in fact but NOT for the reason you cite here. Everything you say applies equally to "Yoruba" in my opinion just as it applies to English as any person who has lived and travelled across England would attest. The true test of "hardest to learn" would have to be from a neutral learner or anyone who has learnt successfully several Nigerian languages. The other issue is degree of mastery. English may be quite easy to learn in order to be understood but mastering it is another matter as several posters frequently remind us here on Nairaland. I believe this is probably true of most Nigerian languages and so while you may learn quickly you will probably remain a source of amusement to native speakers
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by 360command: 8:02pm On Nov 09, 2012
I believe hausa is the hardest cause we do not watch their home videos or study them somehow. Igbo should be the easiest of all. if I can remember, during the era of nolllywood(igbo made movies),people(non-igbos) do watch it and come out to say words like 'Chineke', 'anuofia',' me'chionu', bia etc(pardon my spelling) . This is to say, through the help of the igbo films, it has made people know the basic understanding of the language if they put it to practice as well as staying in an igbo community . Even when you come to some west african countries, you will discover that people do have knowledge of a few igbo words compared to some yoruba words. This applies to indian movies of those years where we get to understand some basic indian(hindu) words like 'nehi', 'haramzade', 'hacha','nemastay' etc (pardon my spelling.)
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by EzePromoe: 8:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
afam4eva:
I actually want to know if the average Ikwerre person can converse with a central Igbo person. I mean can the average Ikwerre person speak Igbo or something close?
Sorry for the late responce. The average Ikwerre man would understand the central Igbo very well but will not be fluent in speaking it unless those from Omerelu, Elele, Ubima and the rest of them who are closer to Imo state. Igbo bibles are used in Ikwerre churches that are outside PH and its outskirts.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by olivegirl(f): 8:35pm On Nov 09, 2012
Jah Man: I do not understand where you and Chinenye are getting your confusion from.
Like any other major language,there is what we call 'central Igbo' which is what is taught in Igbo Language in colleges.It is an amalgam of different local dialects in the geographical entity called Igboland.It is also expected that every Igbo indigene that has average education understands that.
Can Chinenye explain to me what is meant by 'artificial'?
Ehihie is not the same as evening odumchi.Ehihie(central Igbo) is rather afternoon.
Evening is 'anyasi' or 'mgbede'(central igbo), abani or abali(central igbo)=night.ututu(central igbo)=morning.
I have tried as much as possible to understand most local dialects in igboland excpet the 'okpoto' language in Ebonyi state which is extremely difficult.If you listen to those hawkers on 3rd mainland bridge,you may not know they are discussing in igbo.I know that because I lived around that area for 2 years.
. Abakaliki
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Eifeh(m): 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2012
Frostyzone: Anambra Igbo and Lagos Yoruba are both easy to learn.
remove anambra replace with onitsh
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Angel778(f): 8:55pm On Nov 09, 2012
Hausa is the easiest to learn. Bt i cant say yoruba is easy because d general yoruba spoken nw is lagos yoruba, whch is d common one, if u want to hear d deep yoruba, go to Akoko in ondo state, ogbagi, supare, arigidi etc and owo, nt ondo state alone, bt sm part of western state, u wil hadly hear wat they are sayng. Igbo too is sm kind of hard, as a little girl growng up n Lagos wth my igbo frnds, d only word i could pick were d simple ones

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oduduwa Isn't The Father Of The 'Yorubas' / Oro Day: Movement Of Women Restricted In Ikorodu On May 8th 2018 / Ooni Ogunwusi, Alaafin Of Oyo At Methodist Church For Award Event.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.