Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,788 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:34 PM

The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn (21145 Views)

Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / The 3 Major Senegambian Languages / A Nigerian Word That Has The Same Meaning In D 3 Major Tribes Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by OchaZA: 2:35pm On Jun 01, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Wow, this is nice. I am Igbo myself. Are you married to someone from Anambra state? What sparked your interest in the language?

Ndewo nwanne m. I am not married. I speak a couple of African languages. A friend of mine introduced me to an Igbo person. I asked him about Nigerian languages etc. He gave me some examples of the language and I really liked it. So I learn Igbo while I visit my Igbo friends (After I started to learn I met many more).

So now every now and then I go visit... with my Isiagu grin I also enjoy Oliver de Coque, Emeka Morocco etc. And of course Flavour and Bracket. Imeela.

2 Likes

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by bigfrancis21: 5:04pm On Jun 01, 2017
OchaZA:

Ndewo nwanne m. I am not married. I speak a couple of African languages. A friend of mine introduced me to an Igbo person. I asked him about Nigerian languages etc. He gave me some examples of the language and I really liked it. So I learn Igbo while I visit my Igbo friends (After I started to learn I met many more).

So now every now and then I go visit... with my Isiagu grin I also enjoy Oliver de Coque, Emeka Morocco etc. And of course Flavour and Bracket. Imeela.

Nna, O di mma! I meela! Jisie ike!

I could also teach you some too. Feel free to ask me your questions.

Kedu afa gi? What is your name?
Afa m bu OchaZa My name is OchaZa

Or,

Gini bu afa gi? What is your name?
OchaZa bu afa m OchaZa is my name.

Or,

Afa gi bu gini? Your name is what?

Just like English, one sentence in Igbo can be said in several ways. The language is beautiful, and the anambra dialect is just wonderful. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by OchaZA: 6:13pm On Jun 01, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Nna, O di mma! I meela! Jisie ike!

I could also teach you some too. Feel free to ask me your questions.

Kedu afa gi? What is your name?
Afa m bu OchaZa My name is OchaZa

Or,

Gini bu afa gi? What is your name?

Or,

Afa gi bu gini? Your name is what?

Just like English, one sentence in Igbo can be said in several ways. The language is beautiful, and the anambra dialect is just wonderful. smiley

Imeela nwanne m. I bu onye oma na Chukwu ga gozi gi! Afa m bu Udochukwu cheesy A bi m na Johannesburg. I bu na Anambra? A choro m amuta asusu ndigbo na imeela... a ga m ajuju gi for help grin grin O di asusu oma!!

2 Likes

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by bigfrancis21: 6:50pm On Jun 01, 2017
OchaZA:

Imeela nwanne m. I bu onye oma na Chukwu ga gozi gi! Afa m bu Udochukwu cheesy A bi m na Johannesburg. I bu na Anambra? A choro m amuta asusu ndigbo na imeela... a ga m ajuju gi for help grin grin O di asusu oma!!

Waow!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Nwanne I na-asukwa Igbo ofuma! cheesy

M bu onye anambra! Ogbe m bu Enugwu-ukwu (my village is Enugwu-ukwu).

Biko na-aju m ajuju gi, m ga zaa ajuju gi! smiley cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by OchaZA: 7:01pm On Jun 01, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Waow!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Nwanne I na-asukwa Igbo ofuma! cheesy

M bu onye anambra! Ogbe m bu Enugwu-ukwu (my village is Enugwu-ukwu).

Biko na-aju m ajuju gi, m ga zaa ajuju gi! smiley cheesy

Imeela nwanne m. I know present, past and future tense verbs (Eg. A na m abia, a ga m abia, abiara m) and in all persons (i na-asu, o, anyi, unu, ha) but negative is difficult and confuses me. I know about adighi m but not sure for other verbs?
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by ewa26: 8:49pm On Jun 01, 2017
Hi guys, please someone that is very familiar with Igbo food should tell me how d igbos prepare jollof rice compared to d Yoruba own, is there are difference and what type of rice variety is their in igboland?
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by bigfrancis21: 8:50pm On Jun 01, 2017
OchaZA:

Imeela nwanne m. I know present, past and future tense verbs (Eg. A na m abia, a ga m abia, abiara m) and in all persons (i na-asu, o, anyi, unu, ha) but negative is difficult and confuses me. I know about adighi m but not sure for other verbs?

In Anambra dialects, 'ro' is added to a verb to signify negative. For example,

O bu onye onitsha (he is an onitsha person)
O buro onye onitsha (he isn't an onitsha person).

O mee ya - he/she did it
O mero ya - he/she didn't do it

O bia - he/she came
O biaro - he/she didn't come

O di nma
O diro nma

Gote akwa abuo - buy two eggs
I gotero akwa abuo - you 'bought not' two eggs.

The negative of, I na-asu Igbo ofuma, will be I naro asu Igbo ofuma.

In standard Igbo used in writing, 'ghi' is used to signify negative. For example,

O dighi mma
O biaghi
O meghi ya

'ro' is a common marker or sign of Anambra dialects in Igbo land.

'na' is added to verbs to indicate present-continuous.

M na bia - I am coming (or Ana m abia - deeper Igbo)

M na fu gi - I can see you.

M na kpo gi - I am calling you

'na' also means 'and'.

For eg, mu na gi (me and you).

Mu na gi ga bia (me and you will come).

Thus to differentiate 'na' as in 'and' and 'na' as in present continuous in verbs, standard Igbo adds the '-' in between 'na' and the 'verb'.

As in, I na-asu Igbo ofuma.

M na-abia. Etc.

Let me pause for a while so it's not too overwhelming! Please ask me your questions.

3 Likes

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by ewa26: 8:52pm On Jun 01, 2017
bigfrancis21:

In Anambra dialects, 'ro' is added to a verbto signify negative. For example,

O bu onye onitsha (he is an onitsha person)
O buro onye onitsha (he isn't an onitsha person).

O mee ya - he/she did it
O mero ya - he/she didn't do it

O bia - he/she came
O biaro - he/she didn't come

O di nma
O diro nma

Gote akwa abuo - buy two eggs
I gotero akwa abuo - you didn't buy two eggs.

The negative of, I na-asu Igbo ofuma, will be I naro asu Igbo ofuma.

'na' is added to verbs to indicate present-continuous.

M na bia - I am coming (or Ana m abia - deeper Igbo)

M na fu gi - I can see you.

M na kpo gi - I am calling you

'na' also means 'and'.

For eg, mu na gi (me and you).

Mu na gi ga bia (me and you will come).

Thus to differentiate 'na' as in 'and' and 'na' as in present continuous in verbs, standard Igbo adds the '-' in between 'na' and the 'verb'.

As in, I na-asu Igbo ofuma.

M na-abia. Etc.

Let me pause for a while so it's not too overwhelming! Please ask me your questions.

hi bro, i guess you Igbo pls could u answer my question about like Igbo/Yoruba jollof ok
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by bigfrancis21: 8:54pm On Jun 01, 2017
ewa26:
Hi guys, please someone that is very familiar with Igbo food should tell me how d igbos prepare jollof rice compared to d Yoruba own, is there are difference and what type of rice variety is their in igboland?

I can't speak for the Yoruba style because I'm only familiar with the Igbo style, having spent most of my time in Nigeria in the East. Hopefully, a Yoruba person will be able to help you out.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by ewa26: 8:56pm On Jun 01, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I can't speak for the Yoruba style because I'm only familiar with the Igbo style, having spent most of my time in Nigeria in the East. Hopefully, a Yoruba person will be able to help you out.

ok bro what den is the style in igboland and is there more than one Igbo way of cooking it? pls i just want to know, curious
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Phut(f): 10:03pm On Jun 01, 2017
OchaZA:

Let me recommend more Igbo musicians for you: Phyno, Zoro (he sang Ogene, Achikolo etc), Ruffcoin, Stormrex (she has an angelic voice). You can search for their music videos on youtube

2 Likes

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by ewa26: 10:05pm On Jun 01, 2017
pls somebody shud answer my rice question oo
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by OchaZA: 11:28pm On Jun 01, 2017
Phut:

Let me recommend more Igbo musicians for you: Phyno, Zoro (he sang Ogene, Achikolo etc), Ruffcoin, Stormrex (she has an angelic voice). You can search for their music videos on youtube

Imeela nwanne m. And for your help. I have some of their songs. Ha di mma. grin I will think of more to ask you about language. Mana ugbua, ike gwuru m. Ka chi fo! Anyi ga asu echi smiley

1 Like

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Phut(f): 1:04am On Jun 02, 2017
OchaZA:

Imeela nwanne m. And for your help. I have some of their songs. Ha di mma. grin I will think of more to ask you about language. Mana ugbua, ike gwuru m. Ka chi fo! Anyi ga asu echi smiley

Nsogbu adiro (No problem). Ka chi fo. cool

1 Like

Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Probz(m): 11:55pm On Jun 02, 2017
ewa26:

Yoruba rice is more peppery and Igbo women are more likely to add crayfish and extra things like vegetables. That's it.

We've got more variance of one-pot rice dishes in the East (like coconut jollof rice, jellof rice and beans). Yorubas only make jollof rice the standard way.
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by ewa26: 12:50am On Jun 08, 2017
bigfrancis21:

please will you just answer my question on at least d Igbo style of cooking jellof rice and what variation of rice is there in iboland pls I want to know ow 2 cook d igbo jollof rice, familiarise me with the typical style of Igbo woman who cooks jollof rice
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by ewa26: 12:52am On Jun 08, 2017
Probz:

Yoruba rice is more peppery and Igbo women are more likely to add crayfish and extra things like vegetables. That's it.

We've got more variance of one-pot rice dishes in the East (like coconut jollof rice, jellof rice and beans). Yorubas only make jollof rice the standard way.

ok tnx bro, how about d party rice, does ibo prefer dat one differently to yoruba, why don't Yorubas add crayfish to jellof rice and why dont igbo put plenty pepe
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by urahara(m): 4:30am On Sep 12, 2017
jarkata:
Tribalism apart,Hausa easy well well,during d NYSC in d north my students thaught me hausa and within 5 month i could hear,read and understand 65% and speak 40%.my friend dat serve in d east cannot even hear d fundamental of ibo lang.talkless of speaking it.i think Yoruba takes d second position after hausa follow by others

So can u speak fluently now
Re: The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn by Probz(m): 11:52am On Sep 12, 2017
ewa26:

please will you just answer my question on at least d Igbo style of cooking jellof rice and what variation of rice is there in iboland pls I want to know ow 2 cook d igbo jollof rice, familiarise me with the typical style of Igbo woman who cooks jollof rice

We've got more range of one-pot rice dishes in the East. Not just the standard jollof rice and fried rice but coconut rice (especially jollof coconut), banga rice, vegetable rice and mixed veggies jollof.

There's no Igbo style of cooking the standard jollof rice except we don't pour oil like Yorubas. That's literally it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ndoki Clan Reunion With Their Ijaw Root. / Ooni Ogunwusi, Alaafin Of Oyo At Methodist Church For Award Event.PICS / Oro Day: Movement Of Women Restricted In Ikorodu On May 8th 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.