Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,756 members, 7,820,623 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

Finally, A Decent African Portal - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Finally, A Decent African Portal (847 Views)

Finally A Nairalander Does Something Different / Let me design a decent blog for you completely Free of Charge (by a good NL ) / Finally A Member Of The Board (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally, A Decent African Portal by smithandy(m): 2:48pm On Feb 01, 2008
NAUNA (http://www.nauna.com) is launching very soon. The aim of the website to enable people to establish the necessary connections required to be successful using the talent they possess or skills they have. This also includes webmasters. The website blog is located at http://www.naunablog.com.

Webmasters, prepare for an explosion of website development activity as a lot of companies and individuals will be able to get the necessary visibility on NAUNA that they currently don't get on the big name websites. Since this is also an African website with a global appeal, there will be opportunities for earning foreign income.

The website is also going to feature a development API for developing NAUNA applications for a very wide range of uses - finance, travel, real estate, ecommerce, health, education, entertainment, games, etc. Your aplications can be targeted specifically to the needs of the community that you live in for resolving unique problems.

Get prepared folks and let your imaginations go wild.

Please respond with suggestions for the type of data exchange required to build the applications that you have in mind. You can send your suggestions to 'devapi at nauna dot com' for privacy.

Thank you
Re: Finally, A Decent African Portal by bcool: 4:15pm On Feb 01, 2008
So much talk about a website that has not been launched and has not been tested to certify its functionality level.Bros abeg enough of the trumpet blowing.Lets see what your website has to offer when it is fully operational and working.

Till then i guess you better pay attention to completing your website rather than doing PR here.
Re: Finally, A Decent African Portal by niyyie(m): 5:35pm On Feb 01, 2008
grin I quickly clicked to read this post, having high expectations and rushed to check out the advertised website but was face-to-face with an "Excuse us. We're almost ready" notice. I dare say this post is misleading the public.

I agree with you bcool.
Re: Finally, A Decent African Portal by smithandy(m): 7:48pm On Feb 01, 2008
The intention was not to mislead people. As you can see, there were no ads or gimmicks. Your attention was being drawn to a portal that will be launching in a couple of weeks.

Even if the website was launched today, you'll still be disappointed due to minimal user activity. The aim (and this was done by a lot of websites that you now patronise) is to spread the word, solicit questions (like whats differerent about what you're doing?), give a couple of people backstage passes to the test server to take the site for a spin. That is why this post is being made in a Webmasters forum and not in an end user forum.

Lastly, you get to experience first-hand how popular websites are built.
Re: Finally, A Decent African Portal by A2J(m): 1:13am On Feb 02, 2008
smith_andy:

Lastly, you get to experience first-hand how popular websites are built.

smith andy, this is a webmaster forum and not a general or other forums, so stop talking about getting a first-hand experience on how popular websites are built, i consider that statement to be an insult to every webmaster here.
Re: Finally, A Decent African Portal by tundewoods(m): 12:58pm On Feb 02, 2008
A2J:

smith andy, this is a webmaster forum and not a general or other forums, so stop talking about getting a first-hand experience on how popular websites are built, i consider that statement to be an insult to every webmaster here.

@ A2J

Man you spoke what was on my mind,may Allah continue to bless you.
Some folks never get tired of making noise here.Still beating my imagination.
Re: Finally, A Decent African Portal by mambenanje(m): 3:09pm On Feb 02, 2008
Its like some guys in the forum dont understand english
"you get to learn how popular websites are built"
its not an insult its just sharing of knowledge, and I dont know why you guys are acting that funny. has any of you worked on a portal like that before, with an API for external developers, and if they spread the word early enough its just the normal, and later get a few guys to test, this site, even gmail.com was announced to the public, and to give you another example Google "knol" (http://googleblog..com/2007/12/encouraging-people-to-contribute.html)
if you read tech news has been announced as a wikipedia rival, but Google is still working on it. Or Google should also should quit the PR and concentrate on the codes. its just a way to let guys like me know what is going to happen and those who are not willing to learn, then ignore the post, and I must say if you plan to launch a big site, thats the way to go , hate it or love it
Re: Finally, A Decent African Portal by smithandy(m): 9:34pm On Feb 02, 2008
Mambenanje, I appreciate your explanation of my comments and you got it spot on - apart from the lashing out on not understanding English. Some may find that a little harsh especially since you live in a French speaking country.

We are building a website that will become very popular. Obviously, we want a lot of people to sign up on the opening day - that's one reason for this communication. Another reason is that we believe that Africans are just as talented as people in the West or anywhere else in the world and we want that to translate into much more income for improving the lives of people in African communities.

Particularly for webmasters and designers in this forum, there will be a minimum standard for ads posted on our website (and websites that they link to) and we'll need to refer individuals/businesses to local professionals that can create better quality ads and websites for them.

We are going to reveal almost every aspect of what we are doing in our blog www.naunablog.com and when we become a very popular website, anyone that has been following will have the key practical steps to creating your very popular website or service offering - not just the technical side, but the operations, management, marketing, etc. Knowledge sharing is key to developing communities and we are committed to doing that.

Please see my comment on the post https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-107217.0.html and by the end of today, the blog at www.naunablog.com.

And here's what you see when the brown curtain is rolled back - http://www.nauna.com/nauna_home2.png
Re: Finally, A Decent African Portal by my2cents(m): 6:46pm On Feb 04, 2008
A2J,

I wouldn't regard smith's statement as an insult. I would rather you look at it as an opportunity to learn. Maybe it's just me but I don't take things personally. It's not worth it.

Most importantly though, no one is perfect including smith. So, making the statement he did says to me, "ok, really? Please talk to me with respect to how you did it. How did you do A, B, C, etc?" Why? Cos in the end, it could be that your ideas may be better than his, or vice versa. Either way, a symbiotic relationship is thus formed and you 2 in the end are the better for it. Maybe he is bringing something to the table that you aren't aware of, or vice-versa? No one knows it all.

Of course, the only way for you and others to ascertain what I have said would be for smith (and this is what I have expected him to do based on a previous post either here or elsewhere) to say, "guys, this is a new portal that will redefine how you see portals. The first 5 web developers to email me will get VIP access for the next 2 days so as to test its features" or something like that. Since the site is still not launched, I would imagine smith wouldn't mind making a change or 2 if need be.

In conclusion, speaking for myself, I don't deem his statement as an insult but rather as an opportunity for both parties to learn. Speaking of which, smith, how about you open the site up to a few of us on here wink cool

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Finally, A Decent African Portal by smithandy(m): 7:32am On Feb 05, 2008
my2cents:

Good try about opening the site now smiley

I've got to say that I am really glad that this conversation has gotten to this point where folks are saying, hey let's see what you have and lets critique it. Part of the learning process for us is getting people interested in the idea to the point where they want to see it. You are not going to find many books on that subject specifically for the African community. However, we are all seeing it play out and learning from it. We don't know it all. The moment we do, we have become fools.

Listening to what webmasters in this forum have to say about the website is key to us and we'll be looking to incorporate good suggestions into the website now and after it launches. Development is never going to stop. We'll either be working on fixing something or implementing something new. We'll definately be providing access to web developers just before we begin testing by invitation of users, so watch out for the announcement in this forum.

Thanks again for all your input. They are very much appreciated.
Re: Finally, A Decent African Portal by DOLLARS10: 3:27pm On Feb 05, 2008
well let me introduce you to the dating and social network own by our nigeria boy base in canada you people should check this out www.rytzone.com

(1) (Reply)

Web Template Design Contest For N50,000 + More / Getting Started With Cute Ftp Software / Hosting Your Web 4 Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.