Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,284 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud (4664 Views)

Senator Asonya-Adokwe Faces Sack For Faking Certificates / Ahmadu Ali’s Son Re-arraigned For N4.5b Subsidy Fraud / South-east, South-south Groups Demand Self-determination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by LocalChamp: 4:43am On Nov 09, 2012
Groups demand Okonjo-Iweala’s sacking over N2.7bn subsidy fraud

November 8, 2012 by Friday Olokor and Ifeanyi Onuba 166 Comments

Over 500 placard-carrying protesters on Wednesday in Abuja stormed the Federal Ministry of Finance and demanded the immediate resignation of the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

They called for the minister’s sacking for what they described as unfavourable economic policies of the current administration and an alleged fraudulent payment of N2. 7bn to a firm which was allegedly not registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission.

They specifically accused the minister of allegedly paying “the fictitious company” N2.7bn subsidy claim.

The groups also alleged that the minister breached the Appropriation law by her failure to release funds for the implementation of capital project, a situation they said had led to less than 50 per cent budget implementation.

The protest by a whistle-blowing organisation, Anti-Corruption Network and the Alhaji Balarabe Musa-led Conference of Nigerian Political Parties coincided with the time the minister was attending the Federal Executive Council meeting.

Some of the placards carried by the protesters read, ‘Economic policies would kill us’, ‘Ngozi Okojo-Iweala is an imperialist agent’, ‘Ngozi Okojo-Iweala must go,” “Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is our major problem’, ‘You can’t be saving money when Nigerians are suffering’, among others.

But in his response, the Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Mr. Danladi Kifasi, urged the groups to put their allegation in writing for onward delivery to the minister whom he said was at the FEC meeting at the time of the protest.

He however absolved the ministry of any wrongdoing.

Executive Secretray of ACN and former member of the House of Representatives, Mr. Dino Melaye, alleged that the group’s finding had revealed that a firm received payment of N2.7bn from the ministry without registration with the CAC.

He said, “The minister must tell Nigerians who are actual owners of Pinnacle as it is not known to Nigerian law, it is a made-in Taiwan company.

“We are demanding the immediate resignation or sacking of Madam Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. I want to educate Nigerians that the minister of finance and the Coordinating Minister of the economy released a list of 25 companies after the submission of report by the Aig –Imoukhuede-led presidential committee on fuel subsidy claims. Number 22 on the list of the companies is Pinnacle Construction Nigeria Limited. Pinnacle got N2.7bn tax payers money.

“An investigation conducted by the Anti-Corruption Network at the CAC revealed that the company is not registered with the commission. We are here to ask who approve the payment, who authorise the payment of the money and the minister must tell Nigerians who are the actual owners of the company?”

Secretary-General of CNPP, Chief Willy Ezugwu, condemned the alleged corruption going on in the ministry and said, “It is either we live as a country or we seize to exist.”

The Director of Outreach Services of the anti-graft group, Mr. Timi Frank, said it was unfortunate for the finance minister to be involved in frivolous payments, wondering why she was not veting documents as required of her.

In her reaction, Okonjo-Iweala on Wednesday said the demonstration, led byMelaye was sponsored by “indicted oil barons.”

In a statement by her Senior Special Assistant (Communications), Mr Paul Nwabuikwu, the minister described the protest as a deliberate attempt to force her out of office.

She said her resolve to ensure prudent management of the country’s resources would not make her abandon her responsibilities to Nigerians.

The statement read, “Earlier today (Wednesday), a disreputable former member of the House of Representatives, Mr Dino Melaye, brought a handful of demonstrators to the Federal Ministry of Finance who conducted themselves in an unruly manner.

“We have it on good authority that Mr Melaye’s group was sponsored by some of the indicted oil barons who are currently being investigated and prosecuted for subsidy fraud.

“Their allegation of wrong subsidy payments made by the ministry is a mere ruse to conceal their true motives. It is important to note that the Federal Ministry of Finance does not pay any contractors directly. The relevant ministries do.

“So this allegation by Mr Melaye and his group is completely wrong and without foundation.”

She added, “The Melaye demonstration was ostensibly to call for the resignation of the Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance who is well known for fighting the fraudulent oil barons whose names were published by the Federal Ministry of Finance for various breaches of the subsidy regime.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/groups-demand-okonjo-iwealas-sacking-over-n2-7bn-subsidy-fraud/
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by chucky234(m): 6:57am On Nov 09, 2012
I told everyone here from the onset that Ma'am Ngozi is no good,she's just another green snake under green grasses manipulating our finances.
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by Redmosquito(m): 7:03am On Nov 09, 2012
Minion:Ur Painfulness! A group has demanded the immediate sack of Okonjo Iweala
Hades: Demanded?! They did now even beg! They demanded?! 170 million people BEGGED for a revertion to the original price of fuel and nothing happened. Now this group of not up to 500 people is demanding?! undecided
Minion:My Lord! So in other words, they are blowing hot air sad

4 Likes

Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by k2039: 7:57am On Nov 09, 2012
Okonji Iweala and Allinso Madueke are the untouchables,so I know for sure that this guys are just ranting.
[img]http://emily.nu/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/rant-alert1.jpg[/img]
But frankly she should come out and defend herself against this allegations.
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by Abujafood: 9:27am On Nov 09, 2012
@All the posters above me!

Shut up all of you, it's too early to start making noise!

2 Likes

Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by paulworld(m): 9:28am On Nov 09, 2012
every day na fuckup next pls
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by pendusky(m): 9:32am On Nov 09, 2012
chucky234: I told everyone here from the onset that Ma'am Ngozi is no good,she's just another green snake under green grasses manipulating our finances.
And ure too fast to judge..

1 Like

Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by megxo(m): 9:34am On Nov 09, 2012
EAGLES WIF MEDICATED GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! undecided
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by sherrylo: 9:54am On Nov 09, 2012
Make una left aunty Ngozi ojare
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by Mepounds(m): 10:03am On Nov 09, 2012
This is mere ranting and allegations without evidence
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by idlaw2k3(m): 10:05am On Nov 09, 2012
@op what is "it is either we live as a nation or we [seize] to exist"? That is corruption of the English language. The word is "cease".
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by Nobody: 10:07am On Nov 09, 2012
Madam Ngozi don shut Awoof....hmmm
I tire for dis Naija leaders ooo
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by GARRIx7(m): 10:09am On Nov 09, 2012
and the drama continues.... cool cool cool cool
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by Ndoz(m): 10:23am On Nov 09, 2012
I tot as much
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by Amitex(m): 10:34am On Nov 09, 2012
I am surprised at the level of education our people have. I am also surprised that people would write without using their heads. Your brains are like the parachutes. If you refuse to open it, it would not work and like the parachute, you would just be carrying a life-saving devise that is useless to you, just because you refuse to open it and put it to use.

How do you pay a non-registered company "Pinnacle Construction Nigeria Limited" such huge amount? Will it be by cash or cheque or bank draft or bank transfer? If such a company is not registered, how would it be possible to open a corporate bank account?

My people, think before you buy such sensational stories.

3 Likes

Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by shizzle11(m): 10:55am On Nov 09, 2012
^ thank u my broda!

Truth is, †ђξ idiaat called Dino melaye is just trying to attain hero status by all means with all these baseless accusations, he and his cohorts are just out to tarnish Ngozi's reputation but they will all fail. bleeping hypocrites!

1 Like

Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by ghettodreamz(m): 10:59am On Nov 09, 2012
She referred to Melaye has a disreputable man, what great and positive changes has her reputations fetched Nigeria and the common Nigerians suffering in the streets apart from being on the Forbe magazine list of one of the mostpowerful women in Africa continent? What has she done with the power given to her by Nigeria to help her lifeless finance & economy?

Between U and Melaye who is better off?

And her responsibilities are?

Since the oil barons were being investigated and prosecuted for subsidy fraud, how much of our national funds has your ministry recovered from them?

She denied the allegation and called it trick of wanting her out of the office. Since she's been in that office, what has it benefited Nigerians? Has it changed our economy any better? Lump sum of money change hands on daily basis and several millions of Nigerians are suffering and wallowing in pains, hunger and abject poverty.

Economy don worse so tay, dem don spoil market for we the 'Garri' drinkers and 'Bread n Beans' lovers. Or how has her administration affected the price of 'Garri' and 'Beans' in 'Sabo' market?NEGATIVELY!

'Make una fear GOD oooooo.

Allegations, she called it. There's no flame without a fire, I believe the Group's allegations to a greater extent, in every lies or rumour, there's an iota of truth in it. Only a thief knows how to detect and recognize one.

Oya, Mr Dino, you must have some critical and concrete evidences to prove this allegation beyond this level, come up with one and let us look at it as a nation, nail the woman and send her on exile. grin

Is Ngozi Okojo Iweala not part of those who supported the removal of subsidy at the on-set? Since the removal of fuel subsidy, Nigeria has been a no better country, contrary to the claims and promises GEJ, all his committees made, and expectations of all Nigerians', we are still waiting for some magic ooooo.

I for one don't think Ngozi Okojo Iweala is doing anything to help Nigeria with its prudent management of resources, she is just not the right person for the job. Having her in that office is like watching our economy and finance crossing the rubicon while we fold our arms.

If she is out of that office, Nigeria's economy and finance would not only take a new dimension but positive course and growth to help better her life, and that of the great Nigerians at large.

If drastic and appropriate measures are not being taken to investigate this allegation cooked up against her, then I'm afraid this GEJ administration's would be affined as 'going to the river to fetch water with a basket.

I rise!

4 Likes

Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by Kennyblues(m): 11:07am On Nov 09, 2012
Amitex: I am surprised at the level of education our people have. I am also surprised that people would write without using their heads. Your brains are like the parachutes. If you refuse to open it, it would not work and like the parachute, you would just be carrying a life-saving devise that is useless to you, just because you refuse to open it and put it to use.

How do you pay a non-registered company "Pinnacle Construction Nigeria Limited" such huge amount? Will it be by cash or cheque or bank draft or bank transfer? If such a company is not registered, how would it be possible to open a corporate bank account?

My people, think before you buy such sensational stories.

I doubt if you have ever visited any of the Nigerian banks, then you will it is possible or ask a banker friend if you have any at all.
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by killuminati(m): 11:42am On Nov 09, 2012
I'm not surprise at all

What do you y'all expect from that shapeless elephant-woman? undecided

She's notin but a BIG thief!
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by slimming: 11:49am On Nov 09, 2012
Dino carry go, you are there watch dog for the masses.
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by coruso(m): 11:53am On Nov 09, 2012
chucky234: I told everyone here from the onset that Ma'am Ngozi is no good,she's just another green snake under green grasses manipulating our finances.
I don't believe that. corrupt nigerians have a way of painting nigerians with good interntions bad when the don't seem to have thier way to loot.
her job is to disbuse money to the ministry incharge of the payment. nigerian masses shouldn't be fooled.

1 Like

Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by coruso(m): 12:12pm On Nov 09, 2012
ghettodreamz: She referred to Melaye has a disreputable man, what great and positive changes has her reputations fetched Nigeria and the common Nigerians suffering in the streets apart from being on the Forbe magazine list of one of the mostpowerful women in Africa continent? What has she done with the power given to her by Nigeria to help her lifeless finance & economy?

Between U and Melaye who is better off?

And her responsibilities are?

Since the oil barons were being investigated and prosecuted for subsidy fraud, how much of our national funds has your ministry recovered from them?

She denied the allegation and called it trick of wanting her out of the office. Since she's been in that office, what has it benefited Nigerians? Has it changed our economy any better? Lump sum of money change hands on daily basis and several millions of Nigerians are suffering and wallowing in pains, hunger and abject poverty.

Economy don worse so tay, dem don spoil market for we the 'Garri' drinkers and 'Bread n Beans' lovers. Or how has her administration affected the price of 'Garri' and 'Beans' in 'Sabo' market?NEGATIVELY!

'Make una fear GOD oooooo.

Allegations, she called it. There's no flame without a fire, I believe the Group's allegations to a greater extent, in every lies or rumour, there's an iota of truth in it. Only a thief knows how to detect and recognize one.

Oya, Mr Dino, you must have some critical and concrete evidences to prove this allegation beyond this level, come up with one and let us look at it as a nation, nail the woman and send her on exile. grin

Is Ngozi Okojo Iweala not part of those who supported the removal of subsidy at the on-set? Since the removal of fuel subsidy, Nigeria has been a no better country, contrary to the claims and promises GEJ, all his committees made, and expectations of all Nigerians', we are still waiting for some magic ooooo.

I for one don't think Ngozi Okojo Iweala is doing anything to help Nigeria with its prudent management of resources, she is just not the right person for the job. Having her in that office is like watching our economy and finance crossing the rubicon while we fold our arms.

If she is out of that office, Nigeria's economy and finance would not only take a new dimension but positive course and growth to help better her life, and that of the great Nigerians at large.

If drastic and appropriate measures are not being taken to investigate this allegation cooked up against her, then I'm afraid this GEJ administration's would be affined as 'going to the river to fetch water with a basket.

I rise!
wrong . the is still subsidy.
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by Wised(m): 2:24pm On Nov 09, 2012
its a pity dat majority of u r sway away by d fasle allegation made by dat thief cald dino n co.am quite sure dat most of d prosters n dos replyin faslely dnt knw d responsiblities of d minister if dy knw dy wnt b brainwashed by dino.my advise is dat u pples shud liv d woman 2 do r wrk n stop d false criticizin
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by tedfx4life(m): 5:54pm On Nov 09, 2012
Redmosquito: Minion:Ur Painfulness! A group has demanded the immediate sack of Okonjo Iweala
Hades: Demanded?! They did now even beg! They demanded?! 170 million people BEGGED for a revertion to the original price of fuel and nothing happened. Now this group of not up to 500 people is demanding?! undecided
Minion:My Lord! So in other words, they are blowing hot air sad

I seriously don't know why but i like this guy.
Anywhere i see your post bro..you have 1 sure "like" keep up the good work.
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by Redmosquito(m): 6:19pm On Nov 09, 2012
tedfx4life:

I seriously don't know why but i like this guy.
Anywhere i see your post bro..you have 1 sure "like" keep up the good work.
Minion: My King! What is the problem?
Hades: Cant you see that my head is swelling seriously. Na wetin you put for my food?
Minion: Haa! My Lord! I did not put anything in your royal meal ooo! See! The garri get NAFDAC number sef!
Hades: Ehen! Well it seems all the likes and praises are going to my head.
Minion: My King! This is serious ooo! Ur head don dey big well well ooo! Dont worry! I will look for a big stick and lagimo.

2 Likes

Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by jusuph: 7:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
pendusky:
And ure too fast to judge..
what's fast about dat judgement , when a finance minister sound like unregistered company took a N2.7bn thru sombody from her ministry n claim non none of her biz in dat, so we ( nigerians ) shud hold that "somebody"responsible. Is that statement logical? My bros ur girlfrnd go dey enjoy u o cos u mumu well well.
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by FrankC3: 9:51pm On Nov 09, 2012
jusuph: what's fast about dat judgement , when a finance minister sound like unregistered company took a N2.7bn thru sombody from her ministry n claim non none of her biz in dat, so we ( nigerians ) shud hold that "somebody"responsible. Is that statement logical? My bros ur girlfrnd go dey enjoy u o cos u mumu well well.
You really believe that N27b could be paid to an unregistered company? That in itself will be a tough call in the most corrupt country in the world- Bangladesh.
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by Bezed(m): 11:30pm On Nov 09, 2012
most of you here should first of all go and find out the work of the ministy of finance..it will help you better
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by subterfuge: 12:01am On Nov 10, 2012
At least since the devilish iweala could not be world bank head, let her practice her GUTTER skils in Nigeria.
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by 6ft: 8:57am On Nov 10, 2012
NOI anoda square peg in a round hole...never expected any miracles frm her so am nt dissapointed...or wat hv we as a people benefited from her 'wealth' of experience?
and to y'all dat doubt payment to a non reg coy...think again....there r so many routes to d mkt
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by 12adder: 2:06pm On Nov 11, 2012
Dear friends, please allow me to contribute. I worked for the civil service for many years before venturing into other areas. I know how it works and I can tell you for free that it reeks with deep seated corruption. Now, I cannot vouch for Mrs. Ngozi Iweala, but let me remind fellow Nigerians of 2 keys facts: 1. She did not have to take this job. She was an asset to the world bank long before she was called to serve us; 2. We have very many mischief makers in our midst who will do or say anything to continue to steal unashamedly from our beloved country. Please do not be fooled. She is undoubtedly qualified to the job. Let us not be too hasten in writing her off; let's hear he out before passing judgement.
Re: Groups Demand Okonjo-iweala’s Sack For N2.7bn Subsidy Fraud by etchel(m): 11:00pm On Nov 12, 2012
smiley

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Slam Defense Minister Musiliu Obanikoro For Playing Love With His Wife / The Eastern Oilfieds They Don't Want You To See. / PDP Blasts Buhari:'Your 16yr Old Daughter Flew First Class To London Today'(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.