Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon (1289 Views)

Nigerians Slam Ben-Bruce For Printing His Book In U.S: You're Hypocrite / We Killed The People Of Baga, As Our Lord Instructed Us In His Book – Shekau / Obasanjo Finished Atiku In His Book (if True, Atiku's Political Career Is Over!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by Kuulnomsy(m): 3:59pm On Nov 09, 2012
Former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, has doubted Prof. Chinua Achebe’s chances of making money from his new book, There was a country.
Speaking at a public function in Abuja on Thursday, Gowon wondered if the renowned novelist would make money from his controversial book, causing many people in the audience to laugh out loud.

The 78-year-old former leader said he saw hawkers selling copies of the book in Abuja recently. “When I was coming to the hotel yesterday (Wednesday) I saw people selling copies of Achebe’s book, you know the one I am talking about.
“I don’t know if the chap knew I was the one inside the car – he wanted to get my attention. I said to myself, ‘so this book has already been pirated and is being sold in the streets?’ I don’t know if Achebe will be getting any penny from that book,” he said.

The remark drew laughter from the gathering who obviously knew what he was up to. Gowon had earlier described Achebe’s civil war memoir as the most controversial publication on the war.

What's your say NL undecided

Recalled that Achebe in the book containing his civil war memoir, accused the Federal Government under Gowon and the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, then Minister of Finance, of using hunger as a weapon of war against the Igbo.
Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by Kuulnomsy(m): 4:02pm On Nov 09, 2012
Kuulnomsy: Former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, has doubted Prof. Chinua Achebe’s chances of making money from his new book, There was a country.
Speaking at a public function in Abuja on Thursday, Gowon wondered if the renowned novelist would make money from his controversial book, causing many people in the audience to laugh out loud.

The 78-year-old former leader said he saw hawkers selling copies of the book in Abuja recently. “When I was coming to the hotel yesterday (Wednesday) I saw people selling copies of Achebe’s book, you know the one I am talking about.
“I don’t know if the chap knew I was the one inside the car – he wanted to get my attention. I said to myself, ‘so this book has already been pirated and is being sold in the streets?’ I don’t know if Achebe will be getting any penny from that book,” he said.

The remark drew laughter from the gathering who obviously knew what he was up to. Gowon had earlier described Achebe’s civil war memoir as the most controversial publication on the war.

Recalled that Achebe in the book containing his civil war memoir, accused the Federal Government under Gowon and the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, then Minister of Finance, of using hunger as a weapon of war against the Igbo.

What's your say NL undecided
Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by bamuhanya: 4:53pm On Nov 09, 2012
Well,i think he should stay clear of this Igbo propagandist and mind his own.Sooner than later he may be accused of saying this.
Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by ejiyke2007(m): 7:41pm On Nov 09, 2012
GOWON........THIS IS WHRE YOU BELONG
A DUNCE_ is an idiot who is specifically incapable of learning, GOWON IS acting in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way,

I do not really insult people but i can tell you that this man called Gowon is an idiot,his talking about making money with the book,rather than thinking of generation unborn to read the content of the book if pirated or not pirated,to know about you evil days
I'm told that one's ability to reason helps on standardized tests.Can GOWON improve his ability to reason well

I believe that everything happens for a reason,as that book was written for a reason,GOWON because of your myopic nature,shortsighted lacking understanding of that book,that is why you open your mouth to talk of making money.you name is sorry

THE FIRT DUTY OF A MAN IS TO THINK FOR HIMSELF”
ALL IS NOT ABOUT MONEY
THE BOOK MUST REMAIN GENERATION TO COME AS A LEGACY BY PRO. CHINUA ACHEBE

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by nduchucks: 2:28am On May 03, 2013
Ah Ah!! Dr. Yakubu Gowon, sebi we all know that victims of piracy do not make money from the pirated product, additionally Achebe is no longer with us. e be like say na gloat you dey gloat o.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by naijaking1: 2:46am On May 03, 2013
ndu_chucks: Ah Ah!! Dr. Yakubu Gowon, sebi we all know that victims of piracy do not make money from the pirated product, additionally Achebe is no longer with us. e be like say na gloat you dey gloat o.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6

You're correct.
The World is still waiting for Gowon's own version of the war! Is he too ashamed to remember history
Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by Dibiachukwu: 3:02am On May 03, 2013
Nigerians allowed this thing to rule them and now they turn around ask questions about former bad leaders. When you let a devil rule you, the country becomes pro-evil. When you let an slowpoke rule you. The country become pro-imbecility.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by Ihateniggov: 3:22am On May 03, 2013
This Gowon is a foo| at almost 80,talking about money,people already knws dat he hates achebe for his publication of the civil war against his government,I don't know why he refuses to grow up with maturity. angry *smh*
I'm so sorry for his miserable life.
Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by 1MCN: 6:29am On May 03, 2013
After reading that 'controversial' book, There Was A Country, when I listen to what some highly placed Nigerians say about it I just simply wonder if they've ever had the time to carefully read the book. Or they simply rely on what their ever-busy Press Secretaries summarize to them about the book.
Is it about telling the truth (nomatter how unpopular it may sound) and betttring our society or is it about commerce? That's just the problem with our society. Our so-called leaders commercialize even their deepest shames to us.
If Achebe was moneymonger he'd not reject a one million dollar offer from the musician Curtis (50cent) just to title his movie Things Fall Apart.
By the way, that Gowon saw the book hawked on the streets means that the demand for the book by most Nigerians , north, south, east and west alike, far outpace the demand for him as a human person.
God bless Nigeria and Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by nabiz(m): 7:32am On May 03, 2013
gowom is a cow and i'm disapointed in him. sometime i wonder the legacy this man will drop for his children. pls help tell me tell that man that life is about money but a legacy and history
Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by austinsmat(m): 9:51am On May 03, 2013
the way this man is talking and reasoning i wonder how he manage to rule nigeria
Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by DerideGull(m): 12:21pm On May 03, 2013
ndu_chucks: Ah Ah!! Dr. Yakubu Gowon, sebi we all know that victims of piracy do not make money from the pirated product, additionally Achebe is no longer with us. e be like say na gloat you dey gloat o.

The alleged statement by Gowon was made when Achebe was alive. I guess the statement surfaced immediately Achebe launched the book.
Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by texazzpete(m): 2:31pm On May 05, 2013

It would have taken you one millisecond to glance up and see the date this was posted - November 2012 - which was well before Achebe died. Why reply as if Gowon just made this statement?
Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by texazzpete(m): 2:35pm On May 05, 2013
nabiz: gowom is a cow and i'm disapointed in him. sometime i wonder the legacy this man will drop for his children. pls help tell me tell that man that life is about money but a legacy and history

austinsmat: the way this man is talking and reasoning i wonder how he manage to rule nigeria

His 'legacy'? He kept Nigeria one. That is a MASSIVE legacy to leave indeed, especially if someday this nigh-comatose nation improves and becomes great. That is a far greater legacy than YOU and anyone from your family is likely to leave behind. Nearly all the major players from that era are dead. Gowon survives, he thrives, he commands respect! He is not in a wheelchair, he is not bedridden. Please remember that, while you hate him from obscurity.

I.hate.nig.gov.:
This Gowon is a foo| at almost 80,talking about money,people already knws dat he hates achebe for his publication of the civil war against his government,I don't know why he refuses to grow up with maturity. angry *smh*
I'm so sorry for his miserable life.

Miserable? He's as happy as a clam! He is under no obligation to love Achebe's book...there's no immaturity implied if he raises objections to that book. I wish you'd put more effort into improving your grammar than you put in condemning your betters.
Re: I Don’t Think Achebe Will Make Money From That His Book –gowon by vanstanzy(m): 3:09pm On May 05, 2013
And guess what, Gowon was sooooooo fuc*king WRONG grin grin grin. Achebe made a lot from it while alive. Even in his death, he'll make even lots more, u can see for urself. Am even contemplating buying it. Isn't this what we pray for, "that our enemies live long to see the SUCCESS we become!" At least Gowon is still alive and can attest to the fact that even in death, Achebe is more of a SUCCESS STORY. cool cool
Just for the record for Gowon, everything is not about money.

(1) (Reply)

Picture Of Military Man Riding A Motorcycle (okada) On Ikorodu Road. / President Jonathan Lied Again To Nigerians On CNN? / Gov. Amaechi Weakened, Jonathan Can Now Sleep Well, Says PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.