Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,234 members, 7,825,906 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) (2159 Views)

Okorocha With Morocco Maduka , Bright Chimezie And Others - Photos / Jonathan Was Swindled By Chibok Girls Negotiators – Adesina / N21bn Donation: We Can’t Probe Donors, Says INEC!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by omosexy1: 7:20pm On Nov 09, 2012
Hello Peeps, I just read this and was astonished by the details. I want to implore all to read this (quite a long story so I won't post everything, you can go through the link). The story here is for every young/upcoming entrepreneur. I learnt something from this. I don't know if this story can make front page (I am not asking for it but I believe the information is vital). Thanks.

For the past 38 years he has operated quietly behind the scenes, only visible in the press when absolutely necessary and in that space of time, he has built the Coscharis brand from an upstart with little or no capital into a colossus with tentacles spread across major auto luxury brands – Range Rover, BMW, Ford, Jaguar, etc. And with a reputation that opens doors and access to mega funds both locally and internationally, Cosmas Maduka was on a roll.

According to him, it took hard work, sweat and focused determination, in the process, riding through rough times with a dogged tenacity to get to the very pinnacle of business success. Maduka appeared to have all going for him until one bright summer morning when fate chanced a meeting between him and Mr. Ifeanyi Ubah, chief executive and founder of Capital Oil and Gas Industries Limited in an aircraft. It is not unlikely that he will curse that day forever going by what he knows now. It set the stage for the biggest mistake of his business life. As is often the case with that element called trust, one party is left bruised and bloodied while the other party has run away with the loot.

Maduka is a wounded man right now having been dealt a fatal blow by his own kinsman, he calls his ‘kid brother’, Ifeanyi Ubah. It is a business deal between them that has gone sour and a usually careful Maduka is left holding the short end of the stick.
The contrast between the two principal actors in this unfolding saga in age and lifestyle couldn’t be more stark. While Maduka, who is in his 50s lives an austere and modest lifestyle unimpressed by the grandeur of riches, Ubah, who just turned 41, is fascinated by the grandeur of wealth and lives an ostentatious lifestyle with the full trappings of money and power – private jets, luxury cars, multi-million dollar homes scattered across the big cities of the world, lavish parties, etc, are all prefixes to his name.

For the rest of the story. This is the link below.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/maduka-how-ifeanyi-ubah-swindled-me-of-n21bn/130166/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by fergusen: 9:07pm On Nov 09, 2012
Ok
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 09, 2012
This is serious! Land worth 1.3billion naira? As this people dey call money e be like say na chikili thing for them.na wa o!
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by otokx(m): 10:14pm On Nov 09, 2012
It is a pity and should serve as a lesson to everybody, there is no friend or relation in business, ethnic and religious sentiments should not be attached too. The elders for me not necessarily our grand father snail slow legal system should be used to sort out this matter... too bad.

3 Likes

Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 09, 2012
Phew! Having taken the time to read through that rather lengthy interview, I have developed an even greater amount of respect for Mr Maduka.
In my humble opinion, there aren't many Nigerians his age who speak with candour.

Moral of this story in the Chief's own words is, do not to allow ethnic sentiments and emotions to cloud your judgement wink

Actually, as I said earlier my emotions led me. When you get into sympathy with people you are not rational anymore. You could be empathetic in this case but not sympathetic. One other lesson that I have learnt which is unprecedented in my life is that I should have taken the time to call Uju Ifejika. I would have taken the time to call Funke Osibodu. If I had asked these people, I would have had the benefit of the different sides and would not have had anything to do with this man. I am an entrepreneur.
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 09, 2012
otokx: It is a pity and should serve as a lesson to everybody, there is no friend or relation in business, ethnic and religious sentiments should not be attached too. The elders for me not necessarily our grand father snail slow legal system should be used to sort out this matter... too bad.

Got in before me angry
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by chatterly: 10:50pm On Nov 09, 2012
mr Maduka has always been a man I respect,I am sorry to say that he fell victim because of his emotions and the ethnic card that Uba introduced to the whole thing.According to him he was severely warned not to have anything to do with Uba,even up to the point of not allowing his picture to be taken with him,Uba sensing his weakness raised the ethnic flag by saying it is some Yorubas who were after him because they were not happy that an Igbo man had such investments in Lagos and wanted to destroy him.At that point Maduka was willing to risk all to save his brother from the evil Yorubas .I trust he has learnt his lesson.Is it the Yorubas tha made him indebted to Union Bank to the tune of 40 billion??.What would it have taken him to call mrs osibodu to clarify issues,his status would have guaranteed him easy access to her.

2 Likes

Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by Boss13: 11:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
I got interested in this story for a lot of reasons. I recently watched an interview on AIT on the Aig-Imoukhuede Oil Subsidy report and one of the presenter specifically said that Aig intend to take over Capital Oil and thus indicted Ifeanyi Ubah as part of the subsidy thieves. However, from this interview with Cosmas Maduka, the details are just so precise. I also read the story with interest and asked myself - While would a man like Ifeanyi Ubah blow up an opportunity people would even kill to have. To obtain facility from a bank in this country is hard, and to have someone like Cosmas Maduka stand behind you, JESUS he would have gone places. Greed is really a disease.

3 Likes

Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by omosexy1: 11:16pm On Nov 09, 2012
Ifeanyi Ubah has ruin his pedigree. I believe he has bitten more than he can chew. I feel for him because once a man's character is questionable he loses his worth. I watched Cosmas Maduka venting on Channels. I have never seen that man that angry before. Peeps please we should all learn from this story.
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by ektbear: 11:22pm On Nov 09, 2012

Then he played tribal politics by saying that all the Yoruba people had ganged up against him to kill him because they were not happy that he, an Igbo man, could come to Lagos to own this waterfront and that was why they were ganging up against him to try to destroy his business.
Then I asked him, what was really the issue? He said that actually the Managing Director of Union Bank at the time, Mrs. Funke Osibodu, used to be his consultant and that he paid her to help turn around his company. And like a doctor-patient relationship he opened up to Funke because he had to give her facts so she would be able to work. So Funke got all the facts about his company, the weaknesses and the position of the company. Then, during the banking system restructuring, Funke was now appointed to run Union Bank and the bank was already trying to extend some credit facilities to him. But Funke went and blocked it, and not only did she block it, she sent someone who he thought was also coming to restructure his credit but he turned out to be a receiver to come and take over his assets for the money he owed Union Bank. I asked how much he owed Union bank, to which he responded, N40 billion. Then I enquired to know what he had done with this money? He said he was building structures while other people where trading and there was no money he owed that he could not pay back, adding that if I looked I could see three people from NNPC and others bringing vessels here. He added that when he took this money, he did not see the bank restructuring coming. So I asked to know what exactly he wanted from me. He said he wanted to start trading and asked if I could assist him.

Hoodwinked. Unfortunate.
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by ektbear: 11:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
This Maduka fellow na real mugu undecided
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by geeez: 12:03am On Nov 10, 2012
Ifeanyi Ubah is just like Anajemba, Nwude and the rest of them but Cosmos Maduka was greedy in this deal and doesn't sound like the Mr. Maduka I know

Well it's a Igbo thing. These guys can never be trusted

1 Like

Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 10, 2012
Then he played tribal politics by saying that all the Yoruba people had ganged up against him

works every time

who knows what the man and his other paddy aig (access) may be saying about yorubas in private
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 10, 2012
I then took Ifeanyi to Access Bank and called Aig-Imoukhuede and Herbert Nwigwe and introduced him to them as my kid brother and I pleaded with them to avail him some facility to be able to do business. Aig looked at me and asked if I knew Ifeanyi? I said I know him; he is Ifeanyi Uba of Capital Oil. Aig insisted that I did not know him. I said on my honour. Aig said I should not take any photograph with Ifeanyi, adding that if I’m taking pictures, I should not let him feature in it. Okey Nwosu said until he ends his career in banking, nothing would make him consider Ifeanyi as his client. So we left and I told Ifeanyi that there are so many uncomplimentary remarks about him. I asked him what led him to this? He admitted making some mistakes in the past and that he was a changed person. So I invited Aig to Ifeanyi’s jetty and tank farm but Aig refused to show up. I did everything to persuade him but he refused to go there. I invited Herbert; Herbert said he would not honour the invitation. They did not come and I felt if they had come to see his place, they would be more convinced and change their minds. Then Ifeanyi told me that some Yoruba competitors who have interest in the bank were among those ganging up against him.
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 10, 2012
How do you see his lifestyle and how he is able to fund such a lavish lifestyle?
If you look at when Ifeanyi celebrated his 40th birthday, he took over 40 pages in a newspaper which is quite unprecedented in this country. In each of the pictures he will put his hand like this and another one put his hand like that demonstrating the watches so that people could see different watches. Go and check those watches some of them cost $50,000 and some $80,000. From hindsight I know that he never made money. He is eating by stealing money from one bank then blackmail the bank and they write him off their books and it becomes his profits. He never borrowed money and paid back. He doesn’t know what it is to borrow money and repay loans. I have never borrowed money that I did not pay and I’ve never taken any risk that I cannot discount either. So this cannot kill me. Let’s be honest I cannot be alive and let him walk away with my money because he didn’t work for it so there is no reason I should let him go scot free with my money.

i noticed all that flossing too

so is this one of the 'oil barons' after the life of madam noi?
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by geeez: 9:06am On Nov 10, 2012
oyb:

works every time

who knows what the man and his other paddy aig (access) may be saying about yorubas in private

Aig can never talk against Yorubas. Besides he isn't Igbo

1 Like

Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by nku5: 9:28am On Nov 10, 2012
Pathetic, small minded bigotry in the age of globalisation

geeez: Ifeanyi Ubah is just like Anajemba, Nwude and the rest of them but Cosmos Maduka was greedy in this deal and doesn't sound like the Mr. Maduka I know

1 Like

Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by Boss13: 10:39am On Nov 10, 2012
geeez: Ifeanyi Ubah is just like Anajemba, Nwude and the rest of them but Cosmos Maduka was greedy in this deal and doesn't sound like the Mr. Maduka I know

Will I say Cosmas Maduka was greedy? Like he admitted his emotions got a better part of him and he felt he was helping his kinsman. Well if you have ever gone to Capital Oil at Ibafon you too would be convince at the infrastructures there. Cosmas did not do enough homework. He would have called Funke and Uju. Uju is still threatening to close capital oil down
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by funkybaby(f): 11:20am On Nov 10, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

How do you see his lifestyle and how he is able to fund such a lavish lifestyle?
If you look at when Ifeanyi celebrated his 40th birthday, he took over 40 pages in a newspaper which is quite unprecedented in this country. In each of the pictures he will put his hand like this and another one put his hand like that demonstrating the watches so that people could see different watches. Go and check those watches some of them cost $50,000 and some $80,000. From hindsight I know that he never made money. He is eating by stealing money from one bank then blackmail the bank and they write him off their books and it becomes his profits. He never borrowed money and paid back.
He doesn’t know what it is to borrow money and repay loans. I have never borrowed money that I did not pay and I’ve never taken any risk that I cannot discount either. So this cannot kill me. Let’s be honest I cannot be alive and let him walk away with my money because he didn’t work for it so there is no reason I should let him go scot free with my money.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/maduka-how-ifeanyi-ubah-swindled-me-of-n21bn/130166/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

i read the entire story!

absolutely shocking!

Ifeanyi Ubah orchestrated a well planned scam !!! Igbo Kwenu ! undecided undecided undecided

shior !
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by funkybaby(f): 11:28am On Nov 10, 2012
Ifeanyi said he made a mistake with Fidelity, Ifeanyi made a mistake with FCMB, Ifeanyi made a mistake with Zenith, Ifeanyi made a mistake and sold NNPC cargo, Ifeanyi made a mistake with Uju Ifejika, Ifeanyi made a mistake taking my N21 billion. It is a lifestyle not mistakes. It is the same pattern. When Uju gave him the first consignment he sold it and paid Uju and he gained her confidence and to get a larger amount and ran way. The same thing he did to me. If it was $30 million you would not have heard this story I would have found a way to write it off because this to an extent a distraction for me. I would like to remain focused and do my business. But he paid the $30 million and that was not what he was looking for. He was baiting for something bigger.
If this guy is a clean person, someone who has opened LC of $389 million in four months by now he would have gotten over $1.2 billion letter of credit for him. He could have legitimately become a billionaire. But he never made any legitimate money, he has always lived by stealing other people’s money.

i must say, greed must have beclouded the judgement of cosmas maduka. he must have been carried away with the returns he made from initial LCs granted to Ifeanyi Ubah.
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by funkybaby(f): 12:03pm On Nov 10, 2012
There is no negotiation. This is a director’s related loan. Under prudential guidelines you don’t negotiate interest and it continues to run and Ifeanyi will pay both interest and capital. It is his loan. This has taught me a very bitter lesson. [/b]In life when you thought you have graduated nature will write a new subject for you. I used to call myself a professor. I used to say if anybody can dupe me I will congratulate that person. [b]In 38 years, I’ve never heard that you open an LC and the cargo disappeared. I made a mistake with Ifeanyi and he made a mistake with me thinking he will collect my money and go free.

I didn’t finance air or give him working capital. I financed a product. So I need to follow it to know where the cargo was discharged. If your possession gets missing and somebody puts it in his private part you have right to put your hand inside there because your possession is there and you need to get it. I am tracing all his assets worldwide where ever they are. He spends money crazily but you can’t spend N21 billion in eight months. The money is somewhere. We know he has some property in Dubai and Canada. We are tracing it through the right legal processes. There is no escape route for him and he knows that the game is up but these kinds of people don’t give up until you chain their hands and legs.

I am from Nnewi. Cletus Ibeto is from Nnewi. Chikason is from Nnewi. Goodis is from Nnewi. Innocent is from Nnewi. I know my people can over trade and mismatch funds but we’ve never had record of stealing and not paying debt. I am doing this with my own brother from the same place who knows our welfare system where we support one another. I told Ifeanyi that I have heard so many bad things about him but your name is Ifeanyichukwu and my name is Madabuchukwu ‘man is not God’. All these people who are saying bad things about you, I want them to take back their words. Do not let me down. I thought I was talking to a human being but I didn’t know I was speaking to a beast incarnate and I am sorry to use these words. Anybody who has a soul would not do what Ifeanyi has done to me. I met this guy at the worst time of his life and gave him a lifeline. People go to church and pray for breakthrough and if you have this kind of breakthrough God has done one of the biggest things he will do in your life. If it was that exchange rate that went against him, you would not hear this story. If the vessel caught fire you would hear this story because there would be clear misfortune which people meet in business that you can relate to but this is a clear case of theft. Now he cannot tell the bank or the police where this cargo is and he cannot pay the money he owes.

Letter of Credit worth 21 billion naira yet no cargo undecided undecided
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by otokx(m): 1:35pm On Nov 10, 2012
Cosmas Maduka needed to diversify from a retail big boy owning only a brand name with no real manufacturing content and that is how Ifeanyi Ubah got him so cheaply against all professional advice. I do believe that karma may be at work here and that perhaps in the past Cosmas Maduka did engage in funny stuff (may be wrong) but why did his God not warn him in all of this? If not directly in a dream, at least through his 'prayerful' wife.

Oh well the die is cast, Cosmas Maduka should try and look for a way to liquidate the 21 billion because it appears Ifeanyi Ubah's next destination is hell via suicide.
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by ifyalways(f): 1:39pm On Nov 10, 2012
You read stuff like this and wonder if its actually one God that created all undecided
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 10, 2012
otokx: Cosmas Maduka needed to diversify from a retail big boy owning only a brand name with no real manufacturing content and that is how Ifeanyi Ubah got him so cheaply against all professional advice. I do believe that karma may be at work here and that perhaps in the past Cosmas Maduka did engage in funny stuff (may be wrong) but why did his God not warn him in all of this? If not directly in a dream, at least through his 'prayerful' wife.

Oh well the die is cast, Cosmas Maduka should try and look for a way to liquidate the 21 billion because it appears Ifeanyi Ubah's next destination is hell via suicide.

this story may be more common in nigerian businesses than you think - businessmen etting cleaned out by their partners - who knows how many of our celebrity businesmen have not done this or worse - its because ubah fked with a bigger man and is in trouble of his own that all this is coming out

but see as the man was flossing last year - with that birthday and all
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by otokx(m): 2:56pm On Nov 10, 2012
There are some new slangs being seen on nairaland - "undecided" - what does this mean? Everyone seems to be saying it at the end of their statements?
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by geeez: 3:06pm On Nov 10, 2012
Boss13:

Will I say Cosmas Maduka was greedy? Like he admitted his emotions got a better part of him and he felt he was helping his kinsman. Well if you have ever gone to Capital Oil at Ibafon you too would be convince at the infrastructures there. Cosmas did not do enough homework. He would have called Funke and Uju. Uju is still threatening to close capital oil down

Really? Despite the repeated warnings he got?

Do you think a businessman of his 'pedigree' should fall so cheaply like that?
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by Iykopee(m): 4:10pm On Nov 10, 2012
This ifeanyi uba must be a big criminalistic DOG.......i pity coschris for given dat animal a helping hand.....
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by omosexy1: 5:14pm On Nov 11, 2012
oyb:

this story may be more common in nigerian businesses than you think - businessmen etting cleaned out by their partners - who knows how many of our celebrity businesmen have not done this or worse - its because ubah fked with a bigger man and is in trouble of his own that all this is coming out

but see as the man was flossing last year - with that birthday and all

This practice is common in Nigeria. Greed and Selfishness. Now I hear Capital Oil is selling Kerosene at N50/litre. I guess to pay his debt.
Re: Cosmas Maduka: How Ifeanyi Ubah Swindled Me Of N21bn (FACTS) by Boss13: 5:41pm On Nov 11, 2012
omosexy1:

This practice is common in Nigeria. Greed and Selfishness. Now I hear Capital Oil is selling Kerosene at N50/litre. I guess to pay his debt.

Ubah should pay his debt and hide his face

(1) (Reply)

Fight Against Corruption: OBJ Style Versus GEJ Style / Railway Lies- Jonathan Confirms That OBJ Revived The Railways Not Him (VIDEO) / Buhari's Daughter, Halima, Is Married To The Son Of Ali Modu Sheriff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.