Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,290 members, 7,822,438 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs (6784 Views)

What To Do With Your Opinions On Another Person's (ir)religious Beliefs. / Why People Believe Or Hold Unto Religious Beliefs. / The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by omenziate(m): 1:32pm On Nov 11, 2012
Notin I hate more than a Nigerian bearing names like John Haastrup, collins pepple, Vera coker. Such names dey annoy me to my marrow. I will never give my children english names except their baptism names but the names dey must b fondly called must be Native Nigerian names.
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 11, 2012
omenziate: Notin I hate more than a Nigerian bearing names like John Haastrup, collins pepple, Vera coker. Such names dey annoy me to my marrow. I will never give my children english names [b]except their baptism names [/b]but the names dey must b fondly called must be Native Nigerian names.

You still remain a hypocrite. Why should the baptismal name be english? Slave mentality. God is too good for African names abi?

4 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 11, 2012
I answer to both my Africa names with honour as do my children.

What is more, whenever I am presented with the option I always cross out 'surname' in preference for 'family name'.
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 11, 2012
My father named me after his mother, I don't know the meaning of d name so right from when I was young I wanted to change it, I told a lady my name and she started laughing, later I learnt it is d name of a deity in her village in Bonny. I have change it.

1 Like

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by afroxyz: 2:10pm On Nov 11, 2012
brito: My father named me after his mother, I don't know the meaning of d name so right from when I was young I wanted to change it, I told a lady my name and she started laughing, later I learnt it is d name of a deity in her village in Bonny. I have change it.
So you prefer to answer the names of greek and roamn deities abi?

2 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 11, 2012
musKeeto: I have two Igbo names, no English name. Won't change them for free entry to heaven.

On a serious note, it's just one of the few legacies of slavery. People feeling what's theirs is inferior to the imposed.

We must continue holding the fort, as this is one of the last frontiers cool

Away from NL, I try to live up to an honour I received when a couple of African-Caribbean friends named their son after me back in the 90s.
I know dozens of Black folk raised in the UK who have similarly rejected non-African names, in pursuit of a renaissance.

Whenever I am accosted by Nigerian naysayers for my stance on this issue, I always request to be directed to an Arab or European who bears an African name.

3 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 11, 2012
redsun: Different strokes.While peoople like us are thinking of changing our socalled baptismal names unfortunately given to us as children.

I find it very embarassing and humiliating telling oyinbo that my name is john,edward,micheal or anthony,as african.But i use it because it makes it easiar for them call and rite,since they are either too dum-b or too over bloated to write or mention african names.

They think african names,like the language are primitives,"unoyinbo" and apelike.

So you simply roll over and wave the white flag to make life easier for the Oyinbo?
Do you not feel a little less dignified by this act of acquiescence?

1 Like

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by monalicious(f): 2:31pm On Nov 11, 2012
Names and their meanings have a way of reflecting in one's characters,@ times.instead of changing these traditional names which have a fetish meaning,to a foreign name,one could easily remove the fetish part of the name and replace it with whatever they like.

1 Like

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 11, 2012
[quote author=afroxyz]
So you prefer to answer the names of greek and roamn deities abi?

No
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by charlsecy4(m): 2:54pm On Nov 11, 2012
If you are not comfortable with your name, you are free to change to a better one. And I have no reason to change any of my names as all is well-meaning....

mumumugu: UMUDIBIA: Children of a native doctor

"Dibia" does not necessarily mean "native doctor" in Igbo. Dibia means "Doctor," as in "Dibia Bekee": Medical Doctor, "Dibia Mkpọrọgwụ": Herbalist. "Dibia": Witch Doctor (depends on context).
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by bukatyne(f): 3:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
abdulkayus:

wooooow, never knew some xtains names have dis pagan origin, hmmmmm. The roman empires have a great hand in dis, dey are d one dat incorporated many pagan belief in xtianity and disguise it as true xtain belief. Some ppl jus bear name anyhw witout knowin d meanin jus cos it sound cool e.g venus, diana.
not all names in d Bible are 'christian' names. diana was d greek god of ephesus so any body bearing diana is on her own. a lot of names had bad meanings or bad characters. there is a difference btw baptismial names and foreign names.the former is like islamic names.
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 11, 2012
bukatyne: not all names in d Bible are 'christian' names. diana was d greek god of ephesus so any body bearing diana is on her own. a lot of names had bad meanings or bad characters. there is a difference btw baptismial names and foreign names.the former is like islamic names.

What is the difference between baptismal names and foreign names?

Phillip is my baptismal name. Other baptismal names are Jeremiah, John, Augustine etc

Do you know the meaning of phillip? It means "lover of horses"
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:44pm On Nov 11, 2012
redsun: Different strokes.While peoople like us are thinking of changing our socalled baptismal names unfortunately given to us as children.

I find it very embarassing and humiliating telling oyinbo that my name is john,edward,micheal or anthony,as african.But i use it because it makes it easiar for them call and rite,since they are either too dum-b or too over bloated to write or mention african names.

They think african names,like the language are primitives,"unoyinbo" and apelike.

WE MUST NOT CARE WHAT "THEY" THINK! I FIND SOME WESTERN NAMES WEIRD ALSO! angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2012
jayjagz: Why will I be ashamed? My surname is "OGUNMODEDE" meaning (God of iron (Ogun) brought hunter come). What's the essence of being unnecessarily sanctimonious when most people that are changing the name are still finding it difficult to act like christ?

nice name! cool

2 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:49pm On Nov 11, 2012
Alaafia l‘oro:
I am xtian but my surname starts with sango(yoruba-god of thunder). I can‘t count the number of people that have advised me to change it but as long as I live on this planet I won‘t change it. My surname usually sound somehow to ppl but I like it that way.

dont change it. it is a good name. imagine someone aks you what is the meaning of your name and you say: God Of War and Strength. That is extrememly kool! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by queenbinteo: 5:18pm On Nov 11, 2012
Another annoying aspect of this is people living in Nigeria giving their child/children english names. Interestingly, Nigerians living abroad give their child/children nigerian names. I can't stop wondering about this contrast.

3 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:24pm On Nov 11, 2012
queen binte o: Another annoying aspect of this is people living in Nigeria giving their child/children english names. Interestingly, Nigerians living abroad give their child/children nigerian names. I can't stop wondering about this contrast.

they go abroad and they realise that the world is a cruel place and there is no point in kissing someone else's backside.

1 Like

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Alaafialoro(m): 5:27pm On Nov 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

dont change it. it is a good name. imagine someone aks you what is the meaning of your name and you say: God Of War and Strength. That is extrememly kool! cheesy
Lol...the funniest and unbelievable part of it is that I have seen a yoruba with name related to a less fiery god(ifa-god of divinity) who advised me to change it,he told me ‘sango‘ is quite frightening.
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by lukkie(m): 6:37pm On Nov 11, 2012
Alaafia l‘oro:
I am xtian but my surname starts with sango(yoruba-god of thunder). I can‘t count the number of people that have advised me to change it but as long as I live on this planet I won‘t change it. My surname usually sound somehow to ppl but I like it that way.

100 Likes
Na inferiority complex dey worry our pple, esp all these sudden born-agains (abi na borns-again?).

3 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
queen binte o: Another annoying aspect of this is people living in Nigeria giving their child/children english names. Interestingly, Nigerians living abroad give their child/children nigerian names. I can't stop wondering about this contrast.

The contradiction you described provides clear evidence of a colonial mentality that is once again on the rise.
Faced with little opposition from cultural leaders of thought, our faith-based institutions are particularly guilty of promoting this trend.

3 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by lukkie(m): 6:44pm On Nov 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

they go abroad and they realise that the world is a cruel place and there is no point in kissing someone else's backside.

I gbadun this thread. Una too make sense.

1 Like

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by sherrylo: 6:47pm On Nov 11, 2012
Shoo, why should anybody change their name to make white people happy? So wen dem ask ur mama say wetin be ur name she go say famuyiwa den you go say john paul, she no go ask who be dat?
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Alaafialoro(m): 7:02pm On Nov 11, 2012
lukkie:

100 Likes
Na inferiority complex dey worry our pple, esp all these sudden born-agains (abi na borns-again?).
Don‘t mind them jare,my bro. That‘s the effect of inferiority complex.
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by secreyor: 7:41pm On Nov 11, 2012
I sed absolutely nothing wrong in changing ur surname if ur given dat d family is no longer comfortable with d meaning..Our family surname used to 'Onwunali'..i don't even know d direct meaning of dat name,but just peaking d words out reads,'death-and-suffering'..From d little i hv bn told,my dad's family were severely broke and their families frm generation to generation were always giving birth to about ten children onwing to harsh hunger and poverty..As i heard,my great-grand dad,Onwunali was d last child of his mum who waz very bitter at his birth onwing to d fact dat she had lost five older children to hunger and small deseases..We were bearing dat surname until ten yrs ago during d christmas at our family house when our grandmom called for a change of d surname as d poverty dat dealt with them back then is nw a tin of d past and should no longer appear in our names.so i and all my relatives frm my dad's side now bear 'Onyemaechi',our grand-father's name..The point is,there is nothing wrong with a family changing their surname if the name is attatched to a very unpleasant situation of a curse..Take for instance,a name dat glorifies an family idol..Trust me,d situation under which some surnames where given is just awful...As for ppl given themselves European surnames,i don't knw but i'd prefer if at all d family surname must be changed,let it be ur grand-father or ur father's name.

1 Like

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
secreyor: I sed absolutely nothing wrong in changing ur surname if ur given dat d family is no longer comfortable with d meaning..Our family surname used to 'Onwunali'..i don't even know d direct meaning of dat name,but just peaking d words out reads,'death-and-suffering'..From d little i hv bn told,my dad's family were severely broke and their families frm generation to generation were always giving birth to about ten children onwing to harsh hunger and poverty..As i heard,my great-grand dad,Onwunali was d last child of his mum who waz very bitter at his birth onwing to d fact dat she had lost five older children to hunger and small deseases..We were bearing dat surname until ten yrs ago during d christmas at our family house when our grandmom called for a change of d surname as d poverty dat dealt with them back then is nw a tin of d past and should no longer appear in our names.so i and all my relatives frm my dad's side now bear 'Onyemaechi',our grand-father's name..The point is,there is nothing wrong with a family changing their surname if the name is attatched to a very unpleasant situation of a curse..Take for instance,a name dat glorifies an family idol..Trust me,d situation under which some surnames where given is just awful...As for ppl given themselves European surnames,i don't knw but i'd prefer if at all d family surname must be changed,let it be ur grand-father or ur father's name.

your situation is understandable. but what does the name of a Yoruba Spiritual Force/God have got to do with a curse? angry
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by afroxyz: 9:29pm On Nov 11, 2012
Ask him o. Why don't greek and roman gods carry curses, only African one. Mtsheww. Colo-mentality

1 Like

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by IdiAmin2(m): 9:29pm On Nov 11, 2012
sherry lo: Shoo, why should anybody change their name to make white people happy? So wen dem ask ur mama say wetin be ur name she go say famuyiwa den you go say john paul, she no go ask who be dat?

Exactly, if someone is unhappy or feels uncomfortable about their surname - Sangojimi, Famuyide, Fatunde or Ogunseyi - why not just change it to another Yoruba name like - Ayomide, Olowokande, or Oluwaseyi. which one be 'Israel'? You be Israelite Abeg, it is inferiority complex and belief in the 'god's chosen people' scam, so they trying to associate themselves with the chosen people cos you as an African is not good enough/ LMAO

3 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by dayokanu(m): 10:00pm On Nov 11, 2012
Since that man changed his last name to Israel I want to change mine too to Afghanistan

2 Likes

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by afroxyz: 10:19pm On Nov 11, 2012
dayokanu: Since that man changed his last name to Israel I want to change mine too to Afghanistan
Abeg o. Before Obama send drones to you.

1 Like

Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by pipeewa(m): 7:54am On Nov 12, 2012
Names are things and it can change your destiny for ever. If you do not feel comfortable with the name you are called change your name to what you like. Whether western or native as long as its meaningful to you and you feel good answering it. so many comments based on level of knowledge, IQ and exposure.
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by jazmartins: 8:50am On Nov 12, 2012
Why the Bleep will I change my native name , where bush in america became president despite the name bush , why not the name reflect in his life ? , if my name means Devil worshiper I will rather hail satan for that because I known I will be great with the name Bleep those that changed there name.
Re: Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs by Jochebed7(f): 9:22am On Nov 12, 2012
If you believe ur name has a negetive influence on your life, then by all means pls change it. Does not have to b an english name though. I knw of a family bearing opasina that changed it to oluwasina nd others like that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

VIDEO: Pastor Caught With Another Man's Wife!! Oh Nooo! (VIDEO) / Happy 60th Birthday Dr Olukoya / Is Heaven Possible For Those Without Jesus Christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.