Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,685 members, 7,823,931 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. (8118 Views)

What To Do With Your Opinions On Another Person's (ir)religious Beliefs. / Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs / Why People Believe Or Hold Unto Religious Beliefs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by huxley(m): 6:15pm On Jul 18, 2008
Have the Abrahamic religious beliefs (Christianity & Is-lam), so prevalent in Nigeria, had an overall beneficial effect in Nigeria society?

Have these beliefs been a force for good in the society or have they been the seedbeds for social division, mal-education and exploitation?

Discuss.
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by JeSoul(f): 6:16pm On Jul 18, 2008
*yawns*
have you nuthin new to accuse religion of? eh? nairalands most deluded atheist?
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by morpheus24: 6:21pm On Jul 18, 2008
Well I think its therapy for the masses, without it many people will run mad in a poverty stricken society like Nigeria.

Social divisions exist irregardless of abrhamic religions so that doesn't matter

mal-education, well thats relative

exploitation, yeah I'll agree there. Thats basically self evident not questions about that.

However if you are proposing the totally elimination of religous practices in societies at large. i think that is a bad thing in the long run.
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by mazaje(m): 9:20pm On Jul 18, 2008
I am a non believer in religion, but i still believe that religion is necessary in some parts of the world because it provides some kind of comfort to its adherents and gives them some kind of solace,in lawless societies like Nigeria where people live like animals(survival of the fittest) religion always serves as a refuge for the poor,helpless and hopeless masses who are ignorant of so many things and who might not have any other thing to keep their mind, body and soul intact. religion provides them with some comfort in the belief of life in a beautiful and lovely place after death, it has mostly been used as a means of exploitation in Nigeria but what else do you expect the poor masses to rely on. Religion has failed but most people fail to see it and will forever be providing excuses for it, it has failed to accomplish its main task of providing peace,security,progress and justice to most of its adherents, it has been responsible for most killings, looting, deceit, slavery,repression,wars,division,complacency and oligarchy in the world but i personally believe it is still a necessary evil, All religions were created out of the fear of the many and the cleverness of a few.
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by reindeer: 9:46pm On Jul 21, 2008
Hmm,
religion may have made great impact in the past but lately, i see no impact except helping people maintain sanity in the midst of a crazy society, it helps people have 'hope' that keeps them calm in the face of threats to ther survival,
But in day to day living, nope,religious people are the main culprits, its either an Alhaji or a pastor commiting crimes.Not to say there arent nice ones though.
I think Yoruba folklore (the tortise stories) had more impact on moralty than present day religions.

1 Like

Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by mazaje(m): 11:13pm On Jul 21, 2008
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by Sisikill: 11:16pm On Jul 21, 2008
mazaje:

I am a non believe in religion, but i still believe that [b]religion is necessary in some parts of the world because it provides some kind of comfort to its adherents and gives them some kind of solace,in lawless societies like Nigeria where people live like animals(survival of the fittest) religion always serves as a refuge for the poor,helpless and hopeless masses who are ignorant of so many things and who might not have any other thing to keep their mind, body and soul intact. religion provides them with some comfort in the belief of life in a beautiful and lovely place after death, it has mostly been used as a means of exploitation in Nigeria but what else do you expect the poor masses to rely on. Religion has failed but most people fail to see it and will forever be providing excuses for it, it has failed to accomplish its main task of providing peace,security,progress and justice to most of its adherents, it has been responsible for most killings, looting, deceit, slavery,repression,wars,division,complacency and oligarchy in the world but i personally believe it is still a necessary evil, All religions were created out of the fear of the many and the cleverness of a few.[/b]

I agree with your post.

HOPE is a very powerful thing and this is what religion provides.

Can you imagine a world where there is no hope bad people will get their comeuppance and good people their rewards?

Every year, millions of people flood revival grounds and conventions seeking one thing. . . a sign that will tell them their latter will be greater than the former and this is what keeps them going.
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by Sisikill: 11:17pm On Jul 21, 2008
mazaje:

Lmao!. . . Yeah, that too.
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by HCH3COO: 11:24pm On Jul 21, 2008
HOPE?   
Mind exercise and artificial truth.

Hope is good for any of us.
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by PastorAIO: 6:51am On Jul 22, 2008
It is not only religion that offers hope. politicians offer hope too. Salesmen offer hope to. In fact without hope you cannot sell or convince anyone of anything. The Salesman will not be able to sell his perfume if he didn't convince you that with it you had better hope of getting the girl you want. "oh yeah, spray this on and your latter will be better than your former".

Hope is what keeps everything going in this temporal place. Nothing works without hope.

Oh yeah and FEAR too. "Don't spray this and you won't ever find love . . . EVER!"
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by huxley(m): 9:30am On Jul 22, 2008
Pastor AIO:

The Salesman will not be able to sell his perfume if he didn't convince you that with it you had better hope of getting the girl you want. "oh yeah, spray this on and your latter will be better than your former".

Hope is what keeps everything going in this temporal place. Nothing works without hope.

Oh yeah and FEAR too. "Don't spray this and you won't ever find love . . . EVER!"

What a shame I did not know this in my youth. All the time I had "wasted" developing and honing sophisticated chat-up lines could have been saved by a simply trip to the perfume shop. If this is really true, then how superficial the ladies must be.

Sorry Pastor, I know what you mean, but could not resist a little jibe.
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by HCH3COO: 5:00pm On Jul 22, 2008
lol
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by mazaje(m): 7:22pm On Jul 22, 2008
Sisikill:

I agree with your post.

HOPE is a very powerful thing and this is what religion provides.

Can you imagine a world where there is no hope bad people will get their comeuppance and good people their rewards?

Every year, millions of people flood revival grounds and conventions seeking one thing. . . a sign that will tell them their latter will be greater than the former and this is what keeps them going.

Very true. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 23, 2008
mazaje:

You just made a common mistake, releigion's not morality!!
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by mazaje(m): 4:22pm On Jul 23, 2008
Ujujoan:

You just made a common mistake, releigion's not morality!!

Religion is equated to morality in Nigeria and most part of the developing world, when i told my mum that most people in Finland do not believe in god the first thing that came out of her mouth was, how then can they be good? Most Nigerians equate religion with morality and its just so sad.
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by huxley(m): 4:28pm On Jul 23, 2008
mazaje:

Religion is equated to morality in Nigeria and most part of the developing world, when i told my mum that most people in Finland do not believe in god the first thing that came out of her mouth was, how then can they be good? Most Nigerians equate religion with morality and its just so sad.

A whole generation of people have been conditioned to think that religion (God) = morality. What a shame religions gets its raison d'etre by claim to offer what it assuredly does not.
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by lucabrasi(m): 7:56pm On Jul 23, 2008
@topic
in a country where there is zero welfare considerations for the vulnerable and less priviledged,and no form of reformation or redemption programme,the religious believes have actually been responsible for these social responsibility even though its not their job but the governments
with the number of private universities,they have also stepped in to salvage the educational institution which was in crisi even till now and have saved a lot of parents albeit rich ones from spending more money overseas,
they do a lot of counselling and charitabe works which is on going and like someone said they offer hope and an avenue to direct the frustrations of the daily trauma of the average naija person
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 24, 2008
mazaje:

Well your mom's one of the people making the mistake. Religion shouldnt be euqated to marality. The are both very diffrent. Just because I dont beleive in God dosent mean I dont have a consience.
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by bosschick: 11:41pm On Nov 24, 2012
Religion is nt only smefin dat poor pple run to 4 hope everybdy needs hope whether its bill gates or dangote. Dats why ur view dat on poor need God is wrong everybody needs God whether the rich or the poor we all need God and even. Dis mazaje guy sef u er just making mouth on here. U sef u need help. U go just dey form boss. Everybody needs God point blank. And dat view that religion is a way to exploit people is also wrong
Re: The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. by mazaje(m): 12:05am On Nov 25, 2012
bosschick: Religion is nt only smefin dat poor pple run to 4 hope everybdy needs hope whether its bill gates or dangote. Dats why ur view dat on poor need God is wrong everybody needs God whether the rich or the poor we all need God and even. Dis mazaje guy sef u er just making mouth on here. U sef u need help. U go just dey form boss. Everybody needs God point blank. And dat view that religion is a way to exploit people is also wrong

Actually people don't need any god or gods. .it is god(s) that need people because without people there will be no god(s). Religion is considered as true to the common man, as false to the wise and as useful to the leaders as some one has said in the past. . .I don't need any god because non exist in REALITY. . .

(1) (Reply)

Proof That Satan (lucifer) Disvirgined Eve... / Giving Birth Like The Hebrew Women / God's Answer For Spiritual Warfare - Joseph Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.