Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,766 members, 7,831,461 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

Silent Trend...... - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Silent Trend...... (567 Views)

Bloodline........Prologue / The Silent Lover / Silent Tears (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Silent Trend...... by ANYPEN(m): 10:57am On Nov 11, 2012
There is a silent TREND on social networks but it isn't silent enough to escape my EARDRUMS. I really cannot say how serious it is but from experience, i know every SERIOUS social problem starts SIMPLE.

it is an undeniable FACT that the WEST has taken and are still taking a lot from us (Africans). This makes it very funny when we willingly give them MORE than they ask for. it is enough that we do not have a full GRASP on our culture, fashion, food and pitifully LANGUAGE anymore as Nigerians but isn't it getting too far when we intentionally give away our IDENTITY in form of our native names to the WEST?

Most Yoruba NAMES are now spelt 'Englishly' on social networks. As INNOCENT as this act may seem, it screams "IGNORANCE". if we can't help every other thing SLIPPING through our fingers, why can't we hold on to the one inscribed on our PALMS?

Our names are our first identity; it is the last trace to our ROOTS and the one our 'eleda' responds to. if a social network user from China for example cannot remember the Yorubas from your name, then you're lost on the network and ultimately on the WORLD map.

if you're pushed, you don't also push yourself (with an open man-hole in front).

(1) (Reply)

Good To Read / Orikinla Said / Evil Mannered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.