Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification (6613 Views)

Nigerian Student Of Warwick Suffers Racism (Photo) / FG To Make Degree Minimum Teaching Qualification / Olaolu Femi Jailed For Defending Self Against Racism In Ukraine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 11, 2012
A Nigerian student is accusing officials at the University of Tampere of deliberately withholding his medical qualification. He has the support of two professors.

[img]http://img.yle.fi/uutiset/suora_linja/puheenaiheet/article6358402.ece/ALTERNATES/w580/Emmanuel+Eneh.5.jpg[/img]

Nigerian medical student Emmanuel Eneh is accusing the medical faculty at the University of Tampere of withholding his medical licentiate degree. Eneh was told that his study programme had expired when he failed his final exam after the 17 attempt last autumn.

“It’s just not possible. I was about to graduate and become a doctor. I can’t start all over again. This is an outrageous decision,” Eneh told Yle’s Silminnäkijä (Eyewitness) investigative programme.

[size=17pt]Now 50 years old and a Finnish citizen, Eneh had been studying medicine in Tampere for more than 20 years. During that time he had received 378 study credits. A medical licentiate degree requires 360 credits.[/size]

PROFESSOR: RACISM THE ISSUE

Eneh was admitted to study without completing the entrance exam as a quota student. The Ministry of Education allowed the faculty of medicine to admit 1 – 2 students annually from developing countries into the medical licentiate programme.

Professor Antti Hervonen taught at the faculty until last year during the time that Eneh studied there. “This is a blonde-haired blue-eyed faculty, and it’s very rare to see anything else,” Hervonen told Yle.

According to Eneh, one reason for his problem at the university is his skin colour. Professor Hervonen said the issue is racism.

Another former Tampere university professor currently lecturing at the University of Tallinn, Tero Autio has arrived at a similar conclusion.

“I have worked in universities all over the continent. This is a very unique case, and I hope the authorities wake up,” Autio said.

Autio had written to the university on Eneh’s behalf in 2010, however, like Eneh's status, a meeting convened to discuss the case was inconclusive, he said.

According to the Silminnäkijä programme, Eneh had completed on-the-job training at many hospitals during his course of studies.

Medical authorities interviewed at two of the hospitals in Kaivanto and Valkeakoski said that he performed his duties in much the same way as other trainees.

Before coming to Finland to study, Eneh had completed two degrees in his home country: one in microbiology and another in theology.

Retired professor Hervonen said that in his opinion there was no intellectual deficiency in Eneh’s case.

The medical faculty would not comment on the case since it is currently before the courts.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/student_calls_out_university_on_racism/6361695
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by Nobody: 3:01am On Nov 12, 2012
20 years? .. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by Nobody: 3:12am On Nov 12, 2012
20years? He is daft! If you use twenty years to study, when are you going to reap the rewards of your labour?

I don't see racism in this case. Is he the only Nigerian student in the school and in Finland? Many Nigerians have graduated in flying colours from a number of European universities. Eneh has failed exams for a record 17 times but want to practice medicine? grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by slap1(m): 6:48am On Nov 12, 2012
@Topic. Shame on Naija, any country rubs sh1tt on our face these days.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by Charlesnerd: 7:11am On Nov 12, 2012
In my honest opinion,Eneh cannot be said to be a dull student,he had two degrees in Nigeria before going to finland for further studies.

I think he deliberately flunked his exams to elongate his stay in finland,which invariably qualifies him to become a finnish citizen.And the tuition is supposedly free ,so he can afford to fail as many times as possible.

On the issue at hand,I don't see why he should not be issued a certificate if he did everything within the law,anything other than that is plain victimisation and there is no other word to explain it than racism.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by simplemach(m): 7:26am On Nov 12, 2012
him no pass, dem hold him certificate period...!
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by ebamma(m): 7:28am On Nov 12, 2012
This should serve as a warning to those who rush to go abroad for studies,am sure if he had stayed back in nigeria,he will have been a medical doctor by now.
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by bigx(m): 7:29am On Nov 12, 2012
At 50 some doctor's are retiring. And was failing 17 times a result of racism?
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by olatwo(m): 7:31am On Nov 12, 2012
lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by ghettodreamz(m): 8:01am On Nov 12, 2012
O GA OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. O GA GANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.. ORO AWON FINNISH ATI RACIST WON YI SHA.. WALAI, OTU JU SUU MI OOOOOOO cry :

@ Everybody Finland = NO GO AREA... MAKE UNA STOP 2 DE PURSUE FREE STUFF DE GO THERE NOT ALL THAT GLITTERS BE GOLD, MAKE WE LEARN FROM THIS ....
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by Alaafialoro(m): 8:02am On Nov 12, 2012
slap1:
@Topic. Shame on Naija, any country rubs sh1tt on our face these days.
Truely,every country rubs sh1t on our face but this is case of a student who failed an exam for a record 17 times. Going by the academic success of some nigerians abroad(including those in Finland),it‘s not a fight against Nigeria but rather against a nigerian who‘s an academic failure in a foreign land.
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by alajor(m): 8:03am On Nov 12, 2012
Oboy I don tire wit my fellow black folks always crying racism, una no dey tire? We dey always lyk shift blame to skin colour whenever we get into a disagreement wit white pple. "Smh" our own black pple treat us worse than other races but its ok wit us but when a white says to u "shut up" u cry racism. I'm so sick of it.black pple I hail thee

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by Nobody: 8:07am On Nov 12, 2012
Finland? I am not suprised. A friend saw the ugly side of the world on a week visit to that country. He experienced discrimination right from the airport, taxi drivers and city malls.
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by KINGwax(m): 8:11am On Nov 12, 2012
Charles.nerd:
In my honest opinion,Eneh cannot be said to be a dull student,he had two degrees in Nigeria before going to finland for further studies.

I think he deliberately flunked his exams to elongate his stay in finland,which invariably qualifies him to become a finnish citizen.And the tuition is supposedly free ,so he can afford to fail as many times as possible.

now, that's a rare intelligence on nairaland

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by PalmTree(m): 8:12am On Nov 12, 2012
@topic, this story is somehow complex and it beats my imagination how the man decided to continue his medical studies if he saw that he was been profiled racially, 20yrs no be yam na. Except 'as one poster pointed out' he was just trying to use subtle means to elongate his stay.
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by ghettodreamz(m): 8:16am On Nov 12, 2012
Charles.nerd:

On the issue at hand,I don't see why he should not be issued a certificate if he did everything within the law,anything other than that is plain victimisation and there is no other word to explain it than racism.

2 BOTTLES Of ACE FoR YOU.. Meet me @ ...... Make we go jolly grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by adaptor4all: 8:20am On Nov 12, 2012
This case can't b judged from a distance..After failing 17x,any decision cud b taken by d faculty..Bt y do d renowned profs say otherwise..Mehn,dis tori b as e get joor..there's more 2 it..either racism or d guy's fault
*soaking ijebu gari wt honey*
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by Clemzy16(m): 8:23am On Nov 12, 2012
Hmmm... Racism! I hate the sound of that. But we should not just conclude. This school has a reason for withholding his result. He failed his final exam after the 17 attempt. If na Naija, the carry-over no go pas 4times before dem kick am commot from the school.
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by Maxymilliano(m): 8:24am On Nov 12, 2012
Eneh is just crying wolf where there is none, studying medicine for 20 years is enough to get chased out of the institution for wasting government funds and limiting the chance of other international students in benefiting from the free tution facilities in Finland, bringing racisim into it is just a diversionary attempt at seeking unnecessary and undeserved sympathies.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by ghettodreamz(m): 8:24am On Nov 12, 2012
ebamma: This should serve as a warning to those who rush to go abroad for studies,am sure if he had stayed back in nigeria,he will have been a medical doctor by now.

LOL.. Very funny of you... Anything special about there? Abi, make we just keep shut for Naija mata, make God help heal our land and make everything de conducive for us all.
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by adaptor4all: 8:28am On Nov 12, 2012
ghettodreamz:

Chai! You be serious mumu, example of a BIG F00L @40 and Jobless idio!t. *****Smh*****

@Seun, Nairaland need app wey go de detect people true age before dem join NL.... We need to weed out all these small pinkins dem... grin grin grin
But seriously..Who's More Foolish..First 2 Comment or First 2 b Infuriated..cos a truly wise person knows hw 2 overlook tins..I only see d critics as being immature as well..Its a free world,evri1 expres ursef freely mehn..abeg let's reduce d insults on NL..its 4 kids

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by ghettodreamz(m): 8:32am On Nov 12, 2012
adaptor4all:
But seriously..Who's More Foolish..First 2 Comment or First 2 b Infuriated..cos a truly wise person knows hw 2 overlook tins..I only see d critics as being immature as well..Its a free world,evri1 expres ursef freely mehn..abeg let's reduce d insults on NL..its 4 kids

I see, you are just as foolish as the guy behind that handle. Little wonder, you are also a member of the GARRI-Unit,don't forget it's EDUCATION section we are in at the moment and not the JOKE. So, don't give me lip on this, ok.. It's MONDAY morning, NO TIME TO DE CHECK TIME....
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by adora4u1: 8:35am On Nov 12, 2012
Finnish is one of the most difficult languages in Europe! So, if you weren't born there or grew up there, you're going to fail plenty exams!
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by miky(m): 8:36am On Nov 12, 2012
Prof Corruption: 20years? He is daft! If you use twenty years to study, when are you going to reap the rewards of your labour?

I don't see racism in this case. Is he the only Nigerian student in the school and in Finland? Many Nigerians have graduated in flying colours from a number of European universities. Eneh has failed exams for a record 17 times but want to practice medicine? grin grin grin grin

I just hate Nigerians sometimes for real, laughing at someone who has spent a majority of his life pursuing his dreams, life is no sprint it's a Marathon.. One of my fellow medical colleagues is a 55 yr old woman and just got into med school, her story is enough to inspire dafts like u!!

"""Retired professor Hervonen said that in his opinion there was no intellectual deficiency in Eneh’s case.""""

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by ghettodreamz(m): 8:40am On Nov 12, 2012
adora4u1: Finnish is one of the most difficult languages in Europe! So, if you weren't born there or grew up there, you're going to fail plenty exams!

You get point there sha...
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by Nobody: 8:52am On Nov 12, 2012
miky:

I just hate Nigerians sometimes for real, laughing at someone who has spent a majority of his life pursuing his dreams, life is no sprint it's a Marathon.. One of my fellow medical colleagues is a 55 yr old woman and just got into med school, her story is enough to inspire dafts like u!!

"""Retired professor Hervonen said that in his opinion there was no intellectual deficiency in Eneh’s case.""""

I just don't know why Nigerians can not be honest and face reality. If I were to be a member of Eneh supervisory committee assessing a student who had failed medical exams for a record 17 times, believe me, I would vote against issuing him a licence. In many medical colleges that I know, once you failed twice, you would be shown the way out. You are being trained to work on humans not pigs.

Let's put sentiments aside, you would most likely not patronize a doctor who had such a failure record. There is no racism in this case. It's more of saving and protecting the public from an impending danger.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by dnawah(m): 8:58am On Nov 12, 2012
Prof Corruption: 20years? He is daft! If you use twenty years to study, when are you going to reap the rewards of your labour?

my bros no be small thin o!thank God say i don no the name.any hospital wey i go,i go 1st ask the doc him name.if him say eneh i go jaa
Re: Nigerian Student Accuses University Of Racism For Witholding His Qualification by dnawah(m): 9:01am On Nov 12, 2012
ebamma: This should serve as a warning to those who rush to go abroad for studies,am sure if he had stayed back in nigeria,he will have been a medical doctor by now.
dey give people para(just joking)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hensard University: HSDF Rolls Out Agricultural Entrepreneurial Scholarships / JAMB: 1.5 Million Candidates To Write UTME This Saturday / On Lautech Strike, A Student Posted This And Got Evry1cracking Their Ribs (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.