Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,985 members, 7,817,903 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? (1578 Views)

OPEN AND SEE HOW POPULAR NAIRALAND ATHIESTS ACCEPT JESUS / ALL ATHIESTS Are GUILTY Of This / On The Issue Of Morality: Bestiality [for Athiests And Freethinkers] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by pastormustwacc: 9:17pm On Nov 11, 2012
In astronomy and cosmology, dark matter is a type of matter hypothesized to account for a large part of the total mass in the universe. Dark matter cannot be seen directly with telescopes; evidently it neither emits nor absorbs light or other electromagnetic radiation at any significant level. Instead, its existence and properties are inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter, radiation, and the large scale structure of the universe. Dark matter is estimated to constitute 84% of the matter in the universe and 23% of the mass-energy.

One explanation for dark energy is that it is a property of space. Albert Einstein was the first person to realize that empty space is not nothing. Space has amazing properties, many of which are just beginning to be understood. The first property that Einstein discovered is that it is possible for more space to come into existence.

Curled from many places. Now,i know that belief in dark matter in reality has nothing to do with atheism. I was just wondering that well, since dark matter cannot be seen even by telescopes. . . .then that means it does not exist? Just like ghosts?
Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by plaetton: 10:04pm On Nov 11, 2012
pastormustwacc: In astronomy and cosmology, dark matter is a type of matter hypothesized to account for a large part of the total mass in the universe. Dark matter cannot be seen directly with telescopes; evidently it neither emits nor absorbs light or other electromagnetic radiation at any significant level. Instead, its existence and properties are inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter, radiation, and the large scale structure of the universe. Dark matter is estimated to constitute 84% of the matter in the universe and 23% of the mass-energy.

One explanation for dark energy is that it is a property of space. Albert Einstein was the first person to realize that empty space is not nothing. Space has amazing properties, many of which are just beginning to be understood. The first property that Einstein discovered is that it is possible for more space to come into existence.

Curled from many places. Now,i know that belief in dark matter in reality has nothing to do with atheism. I was just wondering that well, since dark matter cannot be seen even by telescopes. . . .then that means it does not exist? Just like ghosts?

I wish to remind you and others, for the millionth time, that atheist are not beholden to any set of creeds, doctrines, or rules. Atheism is not a philosophical proposition.
Atheists are people who excercise their freedom to unrestrained and unrestricted thinking,and part of thinking involves questioning and rejecting notions that make no sense.

Therefore, it is inappropriate to ask anyone, atheists or theists , whether they BELIEVE in a scientific hypothesis.
There is no room for the word 'belief' in science. Belief belongs in the realms of religion,myths and legends, and science is none of those.
Scientists either accept or reject an idea or hypothesis, and they do this based solely on facts and notions are already known and accepted.

Like you said,the very fact that existence and properties of Dark Matter can be infered from the gravitational effects on visible matter and radiation says it all.

The issue of belief does not and should not belong in this type of discussion.

1 Like

Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by mkmyers45(m): 10:10pm On Nov 11, 2012
Does belief in something with deducable evidence come as a shock? No, its just a neccesity....
Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 11, 2012
@op. Maybe you'd have to rephrase the question to :'atheists, do you accept the evidence for the dark-matter?'
Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by onetrack(m): 11:06pm On Nov 11, 2012
Like plaetton said. If dark matter's existence can be inferred from scientifically reproducible experiments using basic principles of physics then yes I believe it. Why do you ask, is that God right there in the dark matter?
Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by Privy(m): 12:02am On Nov 12, 2012
plaetton:

I wish to remind you and others, for the millionth time, that atheist are not beholden to any set of creeds, doctrines, or rules. Atheism is not a philosophical proposition.
Atheists are people who excercise their freedom to unrestrained and unrestricted thinking,and part of thinking involves questioning and rejecting notions that make no sense.

Therefore, it is inappropriate to ask anyone, atheists or theists , whether they BELIEVE in a scientific hypothesis.
There is no room for the word 'belief' in science. Belief belongs in the realms of religion,myths and legends, and science is none of those.
Scientists either accept or reject an idea or hypothesis, and they do this based solely on facts and notions are already known and accepted.

Like you said,the very fact that [b]existence and properties of Dark Matter can be inferred from the gravitational effects on visible matter and radiation says it all.[/b]

The issue of belief does not and should not belong in this type of discussion.

Inference and proof are not the same thing.

According to wikipedia, Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[4][5][6][7] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[8][9] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.

I am not an atheist myself but I have interacted with a lot of them and have quite a number of them as friends. In all of our discussions, I have not, yet, seen any that acknowledged a faith or belief in God or any deity.

Various scientific models (and theories) have been postured, in the past, based on inferences from experiments only to be modified or disproved later. That goes on to highlight a fact that science is limited to : 1. The amount of knowledge on which it is based. 2.Empirical stuffs.

One thing to consider is the fact that people have feelings yet you can neither empirically prove nor disprove it. Yet the feelings are there. Talking about spirituality, spiritual experiences and spiritual entities, is like talking about feelings. The fact that someone has not experienced it does not, in any way, indicate the non-existence or falsehood of such.

1 Like

Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by pastormustwacc: 2:15am On Nov 12, 2012
This is interesting, i was just looking for wahala jare. In a way, dark matter reminds me of the invisible God.
Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by Nobody: 2:27am On Nov 12, 2012
pastormustwacc: This is interesting, i was just looking for wahala jare. In a way, dark matter reminds me of the invisible God.

I knew this was your motive right from the start and thats why I avoided this thread! embarassed
Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by pastormustwacc: 2:47am On Nov 12, 2012
I knew that was why you ran away from the thread. The original title was meant to be: Logicboy, do you believe in dark matter?
But i changed my mind at the last minute. The board is a bit boring this weekend - no thread like anyone dancing alanta.
Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by wiegraf: 3:36am On Nov 12, 2012
Op is hard to take seriously considering he's a troll. Post with your dhtml account and perhaps you'll be taken more seriously

Like has already been stated, there's unaccounted for gravity in the universe, something must be responsible. For now, as nobody knows what it is, it's tagged 'dark' matter/energy.

If you want to somehow claim nothing can come from nothing, therefore there must have always been something, or the self-existent source of this universe, cool. That's ostensibly logical reasoning*. However, like dark matter, it would only mean some form of energy, not a (especially personal) god, has always been self-existent. The myriad gods from humanity's religions are particularly ridiculous.

First cause is almost certainly not a conscious intelligence as well. Intelligence is complex, it would be silly to assume complexity existed before simplicity. All across nature, and logically even, it is simple to complex and not the other way round.

So there's no evidence, logical or otherwise, to support a personal god in particular, or a conscious first cause. Logically maybe there is some to support some eternal energy source, but a thinking god? No

*though I don't personally fully subscribe to it, quantum etc seems to have energy showing up from nothing, but I'm no expert. anyways, scientifically we cannot say something cannot come from nothing just yet
Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by wiegraf: 4:21am On Nov 12, 2012
Privy:

According to wikipedia, Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[4][5][6][7] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[8][9] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.

I am not an atheist myself but I have interacted with a lot of them and have quite a number of them as friends. In all of our discussions, I have not, yet, seen any that acknowledged a faith or belief in God or any deity.

Various scientific models (and theories) have been postured, in the past, based on inferences from experiments only to be modified or disproved later. That goes on to highlight a fact that science is limited to : 1. The amount of knowledge on which it is based. 2.Empirical stuffs.

One thing to consider is the fact that people have feelings yet you can neither empirically prove nor disprove it. Yet the feelings are there. Talking about spirituality, spiritual experiences and spiritual entities, is like talking about feelings. The fact that someone has not experienced it does not, in any way, indicate the non-existence or falsehood of such.

You claim that experiences cannot be empirically verified. They cannot be tested, verified/falsified, they cannot been proven. So, you have no problem when people don't disprove something that is not proven, yes?

And your brain can be monitored to determine if you're having a spiritual experience, emotions, drug trips etc. One would have to look at the chemicals in your brain. As for objective spiritual entities... well...

Perhaps you think there's a problem with science because it relies on empirical evidence? Or those who attach little weight to subjective and unverifiable spiritual entities? You'd rather your tv was powered by spirits? Or are you one of those who would have thought it wise to fight the white colonist with jazz? You know how that ended up, yes?

Something happens in your mind, good for you. Don't expect people to accept your claims simply because you say so. ~45000 other religions we've come up with also say so. One might as well accept them all too. They all have the same amount of evidence, non.

edits
Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by plaetton: 5:52am On Nov 12, 2012
Privy:

The planet Pluto(now dwarf planet) is so far away and so small in our solar system that it was only discovered when astronomers noticed its gravitational perturbations around Neptune. Long before it was photographed,astronomers used calculations using Newtonian Physics to pinpoint its location, size, mass and its make up.
In other words, by mathematical inference,the existence of the planet pluto was accepted as fact, long before it was officially photographed.

This is an example of making scientific inferences from what is already known and accepted.

NB:
Everyone is free to believe in whatever spiritual entities that they fancy. Atheists have no problems with that.
The problem lies in coming out in a public forum to convince everyone to see what is unique to your mind, and use all manners of convoluted logic in order to prove same.
Re: Athiests, Do You Believe In Dark Matter? by pastormustwacc: 6:25am On Nov 12, 2012
wiegraf: Op is hard to take seriously considering he's a troll. Post with your dhtml account and perhaps you'll be taken more seriously

Like has already been stated, there's unaccounted for gravity in the universe, something must be responsible. For now, as nobody knows what it is, it's tagged 'dark' matter/energy.

If you want to somehow claim nothing can come from nothing, therefore there must have always been something, or the self-existent source of this universe, cool. That's ostensibly logical reasoning*. However, like dark matter, it would only mean some form of energy, not a (especially personal) god, has always been self-existent. The myriad gods from humanity's religions are particularly ridiculous.

First cause is almost certainly not a conscious intelligence as well. Intelligence is complex, it would be silly to assume complexity existed before simplicity. All across nature, and logically even, it is simple to complex and not the other way round.

So there's no evidence, logical or otherwise, to support a personal god in particular, or a conscious first cause. Logically maybe there is some to support some eternal energy source, but a thinking god? No

*though I don't personally fully subscribe to it, quantum etc seems to have energy showing up from nothing, but I'm no expert. anyways, scientifically we cannot say something cannot come from nothing just yet
This is interesting, see all the science being unleashed on this thread, i don almost lost sef.

(1) (Reply)

In The Begining, Was The WORD, What Is The Word. / Is It Wrong For A Muslim To Pray With Psalm Verses? / When God Fails You What Do You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.