Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,549 members, 7,837,100 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record (27299 Views)

Martins Set New Goals Record / Can Messi Break Pele goals record / Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 12, 2012
Ucheosefoh: guy u no sabi lie oh u beta go learn how 2 lie cus dis ur lie no follow atall Xabi have won more tournament dan Xavi my foot
Xabi won UCL just like Xavi
LA LIGA just like xavi
Kings cup just like xavi
Super cup just like xavi
FA cup, xavi yet to play

Tell me a cup which xabi is yet to won
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by Jarus(m): 4:58pm On Nov 12, 2012
I believe Messi is the better player of the two and I like him more for his humility and all that, but if I had the chance I would vote for CR7 as WPOTY 2012. I think he did more than Messi this year.

I however believe the talk about Xavi and Iniesta being the secret behind Messi's success is arrant BS. Barca has had strikers that were not so successful even in this Xavi/Iniesta era. Ibra comes to mind.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by caukerzee(m): 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2012
cheddarking:

I can see sense in what you are saying BUT

Players like Eto'o, Villa, and Ibra contributed very little to open play and are/were mainly in the side to finish up.

Ronaldo in that side will score 100+ goals a season.
true tho. my point here is that, ronaldo in the present barca team wount play at his full potential because their Philosophy contradicts his stlye. what he would be doing most of the time would be trying to adapt. whereas messi was born and made into the barca system, thats why he will be able to get the best out of xavi and iniesta more than ronaldo.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by Ucheosefoh(m): 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2012
jude33084: If you want to know great football players, watch them in their national team play not league matches. Pele is still the KING in football

Τhis is why i still respect Diego Folan, Radamel Falcao, Klinsmann, Gulit, Maradona, Pele, Voller, CR, Iniesta, Xavi, Drogba, Pirlo, Zindane(the professor), Figo, Abedi Pele, Alex Depero,Poboski, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Sedof, M. Owen, Yaya toure, Viali, etc these guys do better than Messi in their national shirt(colour). These tested worldcup players can single handedly change the game. wink

But in the league; Messi is in a class of his own lipsrsealed
guy drop CR 4rm dat list abeg cus he have nothing 2 show 4 his national team
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by jude33084(m): 5:01pm On Nov 12, 2012
caukerzee: pele scored just 1281 goals, in a time when there was no offside rule, a greater pecentage of those goals were scored in meaningless friendlies and uncompetitive charity matches. messi may never own thoes computer game statistics because his goals in un-official matches are now counted and the offside rule does exist. peles career stats are just a product of over-hype and exaggeration by fifa.

Its easy to criticize Pele my friend, its like criticing the inventer of slippers because now, to you, you think its easy to make.

You can begin to compare Messi with Pele when he has won one world cup maybe then we will begin to listen to your comparism smiley

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by opabukun(m): 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2012
Messi is still d beast in futbol!
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by jude33084(m): 5:03pm On Nov 12, 2012
Ucheosefoh: guy drop CR 4rm dat list abeg cus he have nothing 2 show 4 his national team

Hahahaha! Mehnnn! Anyway, you are right bro smiley

Any other?
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by caukerzee(m): 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2012
mama-gee:
Congratulations to him but isn't it time to move to a different club
he wount do that except barca doesnt need him any longer. they made him who he is today. he would have just been some unknown dwarf living in argentina if they did not pay his medical bill. he is too emotionally attached to the club.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by cheddarking(m): 5:05pm On Nov 12, 2012
honeric01:

Now can you see why i dropped my comment?

Meaning, Messi is a great player with or without Xavi and Iniesta, he can perform any given day.

What are you saying? Ronaldo cant perform anyday?
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by elampiro(m): 5:08pm On Nov 12, 2012
Wrong!

CR7 is a world cup semifinalist. He is a Europe nations cup runners up. Messi is yet to play a world cup quarter final. Let's be fair to CR7. EUFA and FIFA have been unfair to him because of his perceived arrogance, you are joining them.

People should stop comparing Messi to Pele. Pele played four world cups and won three. He lost only the one he was injured. He is simply the best.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by solomonkane(m): 5:09pm On Nov 12, 2012
jude33084: If you want to know great football players, watch them in their national team play not league matches. Pele is still the KING in football

Τhis is why i still respect Diego Folan, Radamel Falcao, Klinsmann, Gulit, Maradona, Pele, Voller, CR, Iniesta, Xavi, Drogba, Pirlo, Zindane(the professor), Figo, Abedi Pele, Alex Depero,Poboski, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Sedof, M. Owen, Yaya toure, Viali, etc these guys do better than Messi in their national shirt(colour). These tested worldcup players can single handedly change the game. wink

Explain what the bolded ones have done at national team level.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by nitlad: 5:12pm On Nov 12, 2012
honeric01:

Because Yaya is black, you've obviously gotten blinded by what he brings to ANY team he plays in? Yaya Toure remains the best 4 out there, both in Barca and in Man city, he's showing his worth.

You don't know who Vidal is because you only watch EPL i guess. The image of Alonso in EPL is still what you have in your memory, not his current value in La liga.

Either do you know Bastian.

Another is Veloso.

Well then, why am i disturbing myself?

Dude you are mixing a whole lotta things up here.
To begin with, your concept of player comparism is warped and flawed.
First get it straight that football is a revolving game, the position of the number 4 as it used to be is not the same as it is now.
Claude Makelele is arguably the last player to fulfil that role in the true sense of it (you could make a case for John Obi Mikel, but even he is changing his game lately).
I'll group the players you mentioned into the roles they actually play in the football of today.
Yaya Toure and Arturo Vidal are not standing 4s but battling box - box kind of players.
Bastian Schweinsteiger and Miguel Veloso are Central Midfielders akin to Xavi Hernandez and Paul Scholes.
Only Xabi Alonso and Andrea Pirlo (and to an extent Danielle De Rossi and PSG's Marco Veratti) play the role of a deep lying play maker in football today.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by cheddarking(m): 5:14pm On Nov 12, 2012
nitlad:
First get it straight that football is a revolving game, the position of the number 4 as it used to be is not the same as it is now.
Claude Makelele is arguably the last player to fulfil that role in the true sense of it (you could make a case for John Obi Mikel, but even he is changing his game lately).
I'll group the players you mentioned into the roles they actually play in the football of today.
Yaya Toure and Arturo Vidal are not standing 4s but battling box - box kind of players.
Bastian Schweinsteiger and Miguel Veloso are Central Midfielders akin to Xavi Hernandez and Paul Scholes.
Only Xabi Alonso and Andrea Pirlo (and to an extent Danielle De Rossi and PSG's Marco Veratti) play the role of a deep lying play maker in football today.

THANK YOU SIR

10000 Likes
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by caukerzee(m): 5:15pm On Nov 12, 2012
honeric01:

LOL, so because he started ahead of them in 3 matches, he's now what? better? grin grin grin
Being a Barca fan does not mean you no zilch about class. angry
There's no 4 better than Alonso right now? shocked shocked, this is what happens when you see only one farm, you need to watch random matches ok? cool cool
i wonder if it was my comment you read or you mistakely replied this comment or you simply cant read. i never said ces is better than xavi and iniesta, i only replied the comment that said ces can never start ahead of xavi or iniesta. and i also clearly stated that theres no player in alonsos position that plays that role better than he does. you should read well next time mate.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by honeric01(m): 5:17pm On Nov 12, 2012
dorothy111:

Viera, Makeleli, Wanyanma, Gastovo are all black. Race doesn't change a thing. Alonso won't sit on da bench for anyone in any team. He is different! Yaya was chased out of Barcelona by Busquest.

LOL, gosh!, Yaya was chased out by Busquez or he was getting big-headed? lol..
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by honeric01(m): 5:20pm On Nov 12, 2012
caukerzee: i wonder if it was my comment you read or you mistakely replied this comment or you simply cant read. i never said ces is better than xavi and iniesta, i only replied the comment that said ces can never start ahead of xavi or iniesta. and i also clearly stated that theres no player in alonsos position that plays that role better than he does. you should read well next time mate.

You're the one who's not getting anywhere with your argument, before Cesc can be picked ahead of Xavi or Iniesta, it must be that there's a case of injury to these 2 or he's to play a striking role, you should know what to argue on. don't get all dirty, learn to be civil okay? i don't want to modify anyone's post.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by caukerzee(m): 5:24pm On Nov 12, 2012
nitlad:
I totally agree with you that football is a team sport, but you still are not getting the drill here....
Earlier, higher up this thread someone, (maybe you or someone else, I'm not sure who) alluded to something like Messi's lack of success at international level is because his Argentine mates are not up to scratch (which is a preposterous statement to say the least). I countered this by saying that's an untenable excuse and also stated that even if they are not up to scratch which is not true, Messi's outworldly brilliance should fire them up and then I gave examples of players who have done so at various times in the history of the game.
i prolly wasnt the one that said that. i dont make excuses for messi under-performing for argentina because he has been brilliant of late. 12goals and 6assist in his last 8 apperances for argentina is not bad at all. what more could one ask for.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by honeric01(m): 5:26pm On Nov 12, 2012
nitlad:

Are you trying to shift the goal-post ni? so Alonso is the standing 4 and these other players are not standing 4, they are battling box? hehehehe wonders! Because Yaya goes forward more, he's no longer a standing 4? let me burst your bubble, Khadira plays the role of 4 more for Madrid than Alonso. you want to argue this?

Bastian is now a CM. bros me jor o, because he goes more forward does not make him a CM, Alonso does the same thing as Bastian, does this mean Alonso is also a CM?

You are trying to give these players new positions that don't exist in the traditional football positions. depending on the formation the coach is to play, a 4 can play as a CM, that does not make him a CM. so stop trying to hide flaws in long sermon.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by caukerzee(m): 5:28pm On Nov 12, 2012

12goals and 6assist for argentina in his last 8apps. what more do yov want mate?
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by caukerzee(m): 5:29pm On Nov 12, 2012
emmke: ..Another excuse for u Ronaldo fans; "Ronaldo would have been better if he was as short as Messi". How about that for another duumb excuse, lol.
lol true...cr7 fanboys are dumb.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by honeric01(m): 5:29pm On Nov 12, 2012
cheddarking:

What are you saying? Ronaldo cant perform anyday?

My post is not about Ronaldo performing or not, Ronaldo is not the issue here and i don't have time to discuss him. Messi's the issue here.

BTW, i think we have derailed, may have to clean up soon.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by jude33084(m): 5:30pm On Nov 12, 2012
solomonkane:

Explain what the bolded ones have done at national team level.

CR: worldcup semi finalist smiley
Yaya aŋԂ Drogba: Nation cup Finalist wink
Vieri pls not Viali, France 98/Euro cup trophy grin

M.Owennnn,.....emmm anyway that will do bro smiley
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by cheddarking(m): 5:30pm On Nov 12, 2012
honeric01:

Are you trying to shift the goal-post ni? so Alonso is the standing 4 and these other players are not standing 4, they are battling box? hehehehe wonders! Because Yaya goes forward more, he's no longer a standing 4? let me burst your bubble, Khadira plays the role of 4 more for Madrid than Alonso. you want to argue this?

Bastian is now a CM. bros me jor o, because he goes more forward does not make him a CM, Alonso does the same thing as Bastian, does this mean Alonso is also a CM?

You are trying to give these players new positions that don't exist in the traditional football positions. depending on the formation the coach is to play, a 4 can play as a CM, that does not make him a CM. so stop trying to hide flaws in long sermon.

Schweinsteiger is NOT a '4'

If you watch Bayern Play....you would know that LUIS GUSTAVO is the '4' in that team. GUstovo or Tymoshuk play as their 4's

Bastian plays as a CM attacking and defending

I would continue discussing with you...but you know nothing about football...
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by jude33084(m): 5:33pm On Nov 12, 2012
caukerzee: 12goals and 6assist for argentina in his last 8apps. what more do yov want mate?

Messi is a Champ no doubt but when it comes to international competition, he is not there. Také it bro.

Diego Folan do better than him in that level wink
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by honeric01(m): 5:35pm On Nov 12, 2012
cheddarking:

Schweinsteiger is NOT a '4'

If you watch Bayern Play....you would know that LUIS GUSTAVO is the '4' in that team. GUstovo or Tymoshuk play as their 4's

Bastian plays as a CM attacking and defending

I would continue discussing with you...but you know nothing about football...

Maybe i was too rigid with his position, he's played based on these qualities "Dynamic, energetic and direct" Gustavo does the cover up for him just like the case of Khadira and Alonso, when one goes forward, the other covers. Tymoshuk is more in the offensive than these other 2.

It's easy to say "you know nothing about football" but your comparison from the previous quote sold you out. all in all, let's return to the issue on ground, Messi can perform anywhere, he's the captain of his country national side and the current leader in the goal scoring position/assists. he does most of the forward play for the team and his exclusion always leaves a hole to be filled.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by caukerzee(m): 5:39pm On Nov 12, 2012
dorothy111:
Xabi won UCL just like Xavi
LA LIGA just like xavi
Kings cup just like xavi
Super cup just like xavi
FA cup, xavi yet to play

Tell me a cup which xabi is yet to won
please dont embarass yourself on nairaland.xavi is the most decorated player still playing. alonso is no where near. even mess has won more trophies than him.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by pendusky(m): 5:43pm On Nov 12, 2012
dont8: Write in english please, dont understand arabic
Gud... Was kinda mobile... C.Ronaldo is older than Messi d same days C ronaldo son is older than messi son... Sure am nt speaking malay
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by pauloman(m): 5:44pm On Nov 12, 2012
stupor: Lionel Messi is the best of them all.

Just the way Carl Lewis is found beefing Usain Bolt,it won't still change the fact that Usain who is still very young is a legend and has records that has outmatched Carl Lewis's despite his unhealthy beef sidetalks about the young man.

Brazilian hero Pele,cannot just beef Messi,just as much as I like Pele,he is not to be compared with the trail-blazing wizardry and genuises of a life time baller like Lional Messi.

Just as at Yesterday,I and some friends were chatting F'ball matters,and talked about 'Hat-Tricks' and its rule-i.e score a hat-trick and have the priviledge of going away with the match's Football,or score four goals and leave the field with the referees flute along with the officiating football.

How much honor can you ever ask for ?

So try imagine how flutes and footballs from his Hat tricks would be filled up in Lionel Messi's Wardrobe and Gallery,compared to our fmr beloved f'ball giant,Pele.

Lionel Messi for now should not be compared to anyone either living,retired or dead.

Lionel Messi is the best of them all.

Lol before we can ever see the likes of Lionel Messi again after his playing days the world would have come to an end !
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by caukerzee(m): 5:50pm On Nov 12, 2012
jude33084:

Its easy to criticize Pele my friend, its like criticing the inventer of slippers because now, to you, you think its easy to make.

You can begin to compare Messi with Pele when he has won one world cup maybe then we will begin to listen to your comparism smiley
i hate to keep repeating myself but let me say it again. football is a team sport not an individual sport. pele was just one player among other host of stars. he couldnt have won the world cup alone. he wasnt even highest goal scorer in any of those world cups.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by cheddarking(m): 5:54pm On Nov 12, 2012
honeric01:

It's easy to say "you know nothing about football" but your comparison from the previous quote sold you out. all in all, let's return to the issue on ground, Messi can perform anywhere, he's the captain of his country national side and the current leader in the goal scoring position/assists. he does most of the forward play for the team and his exclusion always leaves a hole to be filled.

The Exact same can be said about Ronaldo

He is captain of his national side as well as its talisman. He does most of the forward play and his exclusion leaves a hole to be filled.

Stick to comparing them in a La Liga Setting. That is where both can be assessed against similar benchmarks.
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by caukerzee(m): 5:55pm On Nov 12, 2012
honeric01:

You're the one who's not getting anywhere with your argument, before Cesc can be picked ahead of Xavi or Iniesta, it must be that there's a case of injury to these 2 or he's to play a striking role, you should know what to argue on. don't get all dirty, learn to be civil okay? i don't want to modify anyone's post.
you lie mate. barca vs vallecano ces started ahead of iniesta in his role. iniesta on the bench. barca vs deportivo xavi on the bench ces started. barca vs osasuna?
Re: Lionel Messi Breaks Pele’s Goals Record by ciphoenix: 6:06pm On Nov 12, 2012
honeric01:

Because Yaya is black, you've obviously gotten blinded by what he brings to ANY team he plays in? Yaya Toure remains the best 4 out there, both in Barca and in Man city, he's showing his worth.

You don't know who Vidal is because you only watch EPL i guess. The image of Alonso in EPL is still what you have in your memory, not his current value in La liga.

Either do you know Bastian.

Another is Veloso.

Well then, why am i disturbing myself?
barca's decision to let yaya go was to allow busquet develop fully as they say potential in him. Also same reason they didn't want messi developing with influences such as ronaldinho and deco present. But they lost a great player in yaya. He still remains best in the position from his time there till now. Vidal is from another world. Terrific player. Better than Alonso IMO. Miguel Veloso, great player too smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Obafemi Martins Joins Wuhan FC / Enyeama Snubbed Me, Rejected My Calls Over 10 Times - Rohr Opens Up / Christian Bassogog: 27-Year-Old Cameroon Forward To Watch Out For At World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.