Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market (2373 Views)

Attention!! Noodles Seasonings Can Kill / Four Best Slimming Diets For Weight Watchers / Fast Weight Loss And Flat Belly Diets For Every Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by Biggoozz: 5:42pm On Nov 12, 2012
Okay, I don't know if I should actually post this on the food or business section, I am hopeful of having this on the front page as I would like to sample the opinion of as many Nigerians as possible.

Probably most companies do not go this route of feasibility studies, but it is better to have a salable product that the first mover advantage of not letting competition know what you are up to, but have the product fail in the market.

I develop businesses for one of Nigeria's conglomerates, our existing product lines give us the economies of scale of using our existing facilities, resources and raw materials to start producing more seasonings for cooking (stew, soup etc, eg maggi); complete seasonings for instant foods like doodles, spaghetti, rice (something so competent that one could rather buy it to cook his noodles against the one in the pack); instant complete seasoning for soups/stews, eg just put stock with meat and stir and have a tasty peepersoup for your meal; I know some companies have tried powdered soups and failed, but is there any other way around it?; Ladies that own the kitchen, is there any better way to make your cooking more easy or irresistible either by processing of something ready to use or non-existing seasoning?; everybody do you wish we have more diets beyond our limited ones or have you eaten any delicacy abroad that you believe their ingredients can be sourced 60% from Nigeria and wished it is available here in Naija?

That's enough questions already, oya lets make Nigeria tastier wink cool. What do y'all think?[b][/b]
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by Biggoozz: 6:12pm On Nov 12, 2012
I am currently researching the South African foods. Their market is a lot more open to products like this. I saw an advert on DSTV by a SA company for Nigerian market of a seasoning you mix with boiled rice and it give you something like a jellof rice.

Anyway, the Nigerian market is not so far behind, I can vividly remember when indomie was being introduced to Nigeria, it was like "are these guy dumb?" but we all know whats up now..it an over N100bn size market in Nigeria now.

Common guys, with the way our lives get busier by the day, do you think we are ready for more tasty, healthy quick-to-make diets?
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by Biggoozz: 9:52am On Nov 13, 2012
Am I at the wrong thread? shocked
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by MissyB3(f): 12:51pm On Nov 13, 2012
I personally think it's a welcome idea. I, for example, seldom use the seasoning that accompanies indomie noodle, I use something more tasty and healthy, just as I no longer prepare risotto the traditional way, I just buy the one in sachet, already seasoned and I cook.

Life can be very busy at times that these semi-prepared foods can come in handy either to save time or for a change.
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by Biggoozz: 1:40pm On Nov 13, 2012
I went through a thread on this board about different alternative ways to prepare noodles, there I realized that many grown up males can't even make noodles, lol.

Now come to think of students, bachelors, and a lot of busy families that will appreciate "semi made foods".

My wife returned from an SA trip recently and said a lot about such foods and seasonings in their market...I'm just wondering how much our taste and buying culture is different from theirs.

The middle class usually determine whether new products survive or not and I believe allot of them are on Nairaland here. I am open to the ideas and criticisms as well, as this is of course still a concept.
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by MMM2(m): 1:00pm On Nov 16, 2012
Am coming
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by dilbert100: 1:03pm On Nov 16, 2012
Yea good idea...... grin grin
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by markus1133: 1:04pm On Nov 16, 2012
good one

1 Like

Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 16, 2012
Biggoozz: Am I at the wrong thread? shocked

Yep. For Sure.
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by slimming: 1:12pm On Nov 16, 2012
Good.
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by PapaBrowne(m): 1:50pm On Nov 16, 2012
Would work depending on two things.
1) Taste
2) Ease

If it tastes as good as whats already existent, then be sure it should work.
The other factor is Ease of use. Interestingly, some of these ready made meals require almost the same effort to prepare as the regulars.

But you are on track sha. I've always wondered why Nigerians are kinbd of slow with innoivation.

Imagine that till today we have modernised Akamu, Palmwine, Kuli kULI, Akara, Kunu, Zobo and all our other local deliccacies.

You might just be unto some big. A revolution of some sorts. My advice would be to make some products. Few quatities and package them properly. Give it to friends and family and see their reaction. Don't inform them its your new business plan so they can give you realistic opinions.
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by OkwaIfugo(m): 2:30pm On Nov 16, 2012
Good idea.
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by DeGenius3(m): 2:57pm On Nov 16, 2012
a good market research is very vital to any business...

so that u can know exactly if the people you want to sell to actually want your product.
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by bluejeff(m): 3:48pm On Nov 16, 2012
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by Biggoozz: 4:08pm On Nov 16, 2012
PapaBrowne: Would work depending on two things.
1) Taste
2) Ease

If it tastes as good as whats already existent, then be sure it should work.
The other factor is Ease of use. Interestingly, some of these ready made meals require almost the same effort to prepare as the regulars.

But you are on track sha. I've always wondered why Nigerians are kinbd of slow with innoivation.

Imagine that till today we have modernised Akamu, Palmwine, Kuli kULI, Akara, Kunu, Zobo and all our other local deliccacies.

You might just be unto some big. A revolution of some sorts. My advice would be to make some products. Few quatities and package them properly. Give it to friends and family and see their reaction. Don't inform them its your new business plan so they can give you realistic opinions.

Yay! Finally.

Bro, yes the Nigerian market can so stubbornly stick to their pounded yam and egusi kinda diet, but I think the problem lies more with the promoters of new foods. I was so shocked conversing with an ex-Nestle friend an hour ago that Nestle was actually the first mover of noodles and had to sell off their facilities to Indomie after one year of not making profit. Now indomie makes turnover in tens of billions of naira.

But what other quick-to-make meals are doing well in relative markets like India and SA? What do you think about a semi made powdered pepper soup seasoning that you pour in your fish/meat stock and go savor? Is there any seasoning anywhere in the world that tastes like what we would like here and can source its recipe 60% here?
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by Biggoozz: 4:10pm On Nov 16, 2012
De-Genius:
a good market research is very vital to any business...

so that u can know exactly if the people you want to sell to actually want your product.

Yes, ive got all the Business Monitor and Euromonitors, but I want to hear from the horses mouth you know.
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by Biggoozz: 4:12pm On Nov 16, 2012
I am so surprised that most contributions are from the guys shocked, where are the owners of the kitchen?
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by aadetoyin(f): 6:02pm On Nov 16, 2012
Its a welcome idea. A lot of times I prefer if my noodles is not the same everyday taste so I add other things I can lay my hands on.
I also like my pasta been very tasty and good looking so I'll like sometin for noodles and pasta
It would also be very nice if there's sometin special for rice so that it can look different and delicious. Tryin new stuff is good 4 my taste buds abeg.
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by wizb: 4:19pm On Nov 17, 2012
Can you make something like macaroni and cheese? I don't really know how that will work considering the Nigerian weather and cheese. But I think if you can make a semi cooked food that won't require refrigeration, filling enough(not like noodles), healthy enough for diabetics, easy too cook and cheap, you will sell.
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by Biggoozz: 6:09pm On Nov 17, 2012
wizb: Can you make something like macaroni and cheese? I don't really know how that will work considering the Nigerian weather and cheese. But I think if you can make a semi cooked food that won't require refrigeration, filling enough(not like noodles), healthy enough for diabetics, easy too cook and cheap, you will sell.

The Chees and macaroni thing sounds great. Do you have any such product existing anywhere? I'd like to have the name and look it up.

I'm also interested in knowing about existing brands we can franchise and produce here.
Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by wizb: 7:23pm On Nov 17, 2012
Biggoozz:

The Chees and macaroni thing sounds great. Do you have any such product existing anywhere? I'd like to have the name and look it up.

I'm also interested in knowing about existing brands we can franchise and produce here.

I have never seen one in the Nigerian market but you have them a lot in the US. You can check KRAFT's macaroni and cheese online, they have different types from microwaveble to the ones u can cook on a stove. You can also check STOUFFER's

1 Like

Re: Your Views On My Plans To Create New Seasonings/ Diets For The Nigerian Market by Biggoozz: 7:47pm On Nov 17, 2012
wizb:

I have never seen one in the Nigerian market but you have them a lot in the US. You can check KRAFT's macaroni and cheese online, they have different types from microwaveble to the ones u can cook on a stove. You can also check STOUFFER's

Ok thanks, will look it up.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Gravy For Rice And Spaghetti / How To Make Nigerian Chinchin / Beans Price On Fire And Food Security

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.