Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,902 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! (4262 Views)

UNILAG Undergraduates Build Eco-friendly Car (Photos) / Students Writing Exams On The Floor In Gubi, Bauchi State / Students Writing Exams On The Floor & Outside Classrooms (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by pintos(m): 5:12pm On Aug 06, 2005
Secondary Students Caught Writing Exams For Varsity Students

''No fewer than 23 secondary school students hired to sit for semester examinations by students of the University of Lagos have landed in serious trouble.

"Already, nine of the exam cheats caught during the institution’s just concluded second semester examinations have been docked at the Yaba Magistrate court on a four-count charge of conspiracy, altering, forgery and impersonation.

"Investigations by security operatives at the university revealed that most of the suspects were secondary school students.

"Can you imagine a secondary school student, writing examinations for an undergraduate? It makes us wonder how those students got admission in the first place. By handing them over to the police, we are trying to teach other students that dishonesty is not the way forward,"

"Just a few months back, we arrested a welder while writing examinations for a student of International Relations in the same school. We won’t get tired of prosecuting them until they get tired of cheating."a security source said."

--Sun Newspaper, Saturday August 06, 2005

Where do we go from here?
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by DEKING3(m): 11:06am On Aug 08, 2005
Na waoh, I think those undergraduates that hired them should not be expelled from the institution but FIRED! shocked
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by chawkee(m): 3:40pm On Aug 08, 2005
How will you blame the undergraduates? In Nigeria, what employers are looking for are certificates, it dosn't matter whether you got them from 'oluwole'. So, if the police are closing in on 'oluwole' experts, then, the next option will be to get into the system and get it by all means. If not, to get naira will be difficult and therefore,survival will be difficult.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by Johnny(m): 5:03pm On Aug 08, 2005
It's just unfortunate.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by olaotan(m): 9:09pm On Aug 08, 2005
Why won't secondary school students have to write exams for them, when they seem to understand only parties and clubs? Despite all their all thier [arrogant behaviour] they can't even pay better mercenaries? I bow!

Edited: Use of pidgin English
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by hotangel2(f): 10:50pm On Aug 08, 2005
This is extremely sad.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by Bros: 10:02am On Aug 09, 2005
The issue I think, rests not only with the students, but with the lecturers as well. These people were probably hired by cult members just to show presence and mark the attendance sheet during the exams, after which the undergrads would "settle" the lecturers. I cannot believe, try what you may, that 23(!!!) secondary school students can genuinely write undergraduate exams (In Nigeria) and pass. Too much coincidence there, and does it mean that our undergraduate curriculum is getting "soft". If not, abeg tell me the school name.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by eniolatj(m): 12:43pm On Aug 09, 2005
Well, its a sad event and its not something to write home about. Well I think those that hired those boys are not a good student of the particular institution, they hired those guys so that their space will not empty in exam hall.
Government should try and do something about this because things like this tarnish the image of education in Nigeria.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by angelak(f): 3:59pm On Aug 09, 2005
This goes to show that Nigeria is Jagajaga!
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by olaide07(f): 10:03am On Aug 11, 2005
It really degrading!A pupil in secondary school to write exams for an undergraduate.I don't know where Nigeria educational system is heading.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by twinkledew(f): 12:33pm On Aug 11, 2005
so that their space will not empty in exam hall
grin cheesy
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by twinkledew(f): 12:40pm On Aug 11, 2005
those that told them to write the exam are dumb.

someone from me ex uni was asked to write a dissertation (10,000) words instead of him giving the coursework to someone in this country or do it himself he gave someone in Nigeria. i do not expect anyone in Nigeria to write a good dissertation becos they do not have the books, journals etc, or able to use search engines well even some people down here cant. the dude failed big time. the lecturer said he cld not believe it. it was not even a fail it was a G. ungraded.

Not trying to insult anyone.ok
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by WesleyanA(f): 6:14am On Sep 24, 2005
duh. why would you ask someone to write your papers if you weren't.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by Lanray: 1:26pm On Nov 04, 2005
its a disgrace both for the school cause of their huge reputation and Nigeria as a whole. shocked
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by darejoe: 10:12pm On Nov 13, 2005
grin oga o. Ni Nigeria yi na. But come to think of it- how can a secondary schl. student sit for an undergraduate exam? The students should be properly interrogated. there is more to it than we can see now. Sugbon o ye ki unilag ti ju yen lo naow! E doti arayin men!!! tongue

Anyway, unilag students are overwhelmingly "effizious" iyen ni pe effizy ti po ju. sincerely no beefs!
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by pete(m): 7:45pm On Dec 18, 2005
This is very scandalous,I mean its a huge pity.I just can't figure it out.I once told a friend that, the problem isn't Nigeria,its Nigerians, we all need a huge cultural re-orientation.values are like deeply lost.with regards to education, I will not hesitate to pointifificate the fact that, there are very smart and excellent kids from Nigeria,and with joy and grace I'll tell you that, I'm one.I had attended interviews and my interviewers would be like, jezz, you're very smart.one wished she had send her kid to law school in Nigeria, you could imagine how impressed she was.As stated by one of the contribuctors to this post, its rather sad to posite the image of a nigerian student like one who would hire some folk back at home to write a paper for him/her. now isn't that insane? by all means it is.
The fact is, there are nigerians would could go to college and cheat their way through it.The system is failing and falling at thesame time, but I think a few of us could do something about it at the least in our own small way.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by Hotstepper(f): 10:49pm On Dec 18, 2005
It is a very sad story indeed. dunno wat 9erian eductional system is turning into and da fact that companies r more interested in 1st class not wat u really know. i can't imagine dat kind of thing happening somewhere like canada aspa a uni. student covering for a friend not to talk of a high skool kid..itz ridiculous. don't get me wrong but 9erians are really smart cuz i do get dat often here but there r some that just doesn't wanna put dat effort instead they would prefer 2 party and club all year. like last year iw as in 9eria, da same unilag. friendz i have dat goes dere kept inviting me 4 parties dat i had 2 ask dem if they eva study in skool cuz unlike western world whereby they put assignments full everywhere dat even a breathing space u will be asking for. in another account, a 2nd cuzzin of mine who is a graduate had 2 go and write an exam 4 his friend who is in da uni. simply cuz the dude is sick. am like den he should tell da prof. and write it after if da sickness is dat bad. i also have another friend who didn't write an exam simply cuz he doesn't know wat 2 write and told me he will pay off da prof...den am like NA WAHHHHH. sumthing l similar like diz can happen here whereby u r givien a take home exam and u go and get a tutor or someone with master's degree 2 do it and pay da person...2 of ma 9erian friendz did it diz semester and they don't know nuthing in economics but just doing economics as a major 4 da sake of it. so most of dem take dat mentality and come abroad but cannot pay a prof. here...itz impossible.. i once asked ma friend 4rom kenya if her major is economics, shez like nope dat economics r for 9erians cuz almost any 9erian in ma skool is doing economics whether they have background in it or not. Nigerians help to help Nigeria is grow further and 1st class or da case may be shouldn't be a criteria of who getz a job in most cases but wat the person really know considering the kind of system we have...enough said
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by Jetty(f): 4:22pm On Dec 20, 2005
U can imagine that! Standard of education has gone to blazes and no body is thinking of reformation. Students are busy distracting their educational life with lots of socials while our leaders are more interested in oil business and politics, forgetting all other vital aspect of life.Too bad sad
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by Jetty(f): 4:28pm On Dec 20, 2005
Education in this country needs serious reformation. If not, the country is heading nowhere. They will continue to borrow the best hands from other countries at Nigerians' expense. But never thinking of producing them. What can I say? If only I have my way.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by owo2390(m): 11:23pm On Dec 29, 2005
I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

Anyway it's bad and disgraceful.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by CHIDEBPET(m): 10:13am On Jan 03, 2006
It is indeed a shame but it wont be the students that hired someone that is to blame, rather it is the fault of the institution who did not check their standards before admitting them into the school.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by reniks(f): 9:59am On Feb 28, 2006
4 starters i find it very hard 2 believe dt incident really happened.Just because its in d papers doesnt make it absolutely true.As a Unilag student,i think i know 4 a fact dt impersonation wud be really hard in d exam hall cos of kind of security measures in place.It may be possible 4 normal classroom tests in rare cases.Secondary school students?Haba!! I feel if an impersonation was goin 2 take place at all,other university or poly students wud be used except we talkin about yr1 courses.But i doubt it eva happened.Wat's all this talk about Unilag n parties?GOSH!!Ppl seriously know little about Unilag.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by reniks(f): 10:50am On Feb 28, 2006
I find it hard 2 believe dt incident actually happened in Unilag.Cos.its in d papers doesn't make it true.I'm a Unilag student n i know d security measures in place which wil make impersonation in d exam hall highly impossible.Besides i never heard anythin about it n we've got our own Unilag Sun.A lot of ppl say things about Unilag dt makes me realise they kno little about d school.Ppl keep sayin we love parties n show offs but dt is true of a section d students as it happens in all schools.Cut us some slack now.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by reniks(f): 10:51am On Feb 28, 2006
I find it hard 2 believe dt incident actually happened in Unilag.Cos.its in d papers doesn't make it true.I'm a Unilag student n i know d security measures in place which wil make impersonation in d exam hall highly impossible.Besides i never heard anythin about it n we've got our own Unilag Sun.A lot of ppl say things about Unilag dt makes me realise they kno little about d school.Ppl keep sayin we love parties n show offs but dt is true of a section d students as it happens in all schools.Cut us some slack now.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by reniks(f): 10:51am On Feb 28, 2006
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by Nobody: 10:57am On Mar 04, 2006
dude (reniks or whateva), u only click the post botton once next time! we get the point, u dont have to post the same message 10 times, dang, u ain't doing no justice to unilag by showing us that u can't follow simple instruction and post ur' message once!
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by Dauda(m): 4:01am On Mar 05, 2006
@ ayoolanr

Common bro, do you get your kick from jumping on people? Give the dude(reniks) a break. You know are the cyber cafes in Nigeria are. Nairaland is a fun place, let's keep it that way.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by micklplus(m): 9:57am On Mar 09, 2006
its a crazy thing, crazy approach and crazy and crazy,
can you just imagine ! so many things are really not right in our naija. imagine a serious student that scored between 250 and 285 over 400 being denied admission! and a rich student with barely 200 over 400 being given admission ! isnt that crazy. some parents are even paying for their wards to gain admission ! what do you expect those wards to do when they finally get to school? Definately, they are going to cheat, drink, smoke. join cult and do so many bad things like hiring a secondary school students to write exams for them. it is really a pathetic story ! the story isnt pleasant at all .
Is it a must that you go to school? some of the dullards could have done better if they have learnt a trade or do some other things that is not related to school.
maybe government has faults as well. the society and the environment is not just settled and okay for so many things
the truth of the matter is, so many things are being applied so that , situation can improve in our society.
we just need a positive attitude and we should try to be doing whatever we can do in our own little ways.
i simply pray for the betterment of our motherland
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by reniks(f): 9:26pm On Mar 12, 2006
@ayolanr you actually think i would send a message more than once to prove a point?That's lame!I browse with my phone and the network keep saying "network failure,retry".I didn't even know that message was sent at all.I recently found this out so i try and confirm before re-sending.I'm not down with making people see Unilag my way,anyone who thinks its wack can kiss my ass.I'll be out of the system in a few months.Besides the whole Nigerian educational system is wack.
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by Asiyai: 9:02pm On Aug 23, 2006
sad it's a pity and a disgrace, i wonder how such students feel walking up to a kid to help them write exams when they surpose to be teachers to those kids. Well i also blame institutions because the qualified students are left unadmitted because they don't have a bag of NAIRA to offer. IT"S A PITY AND A DISGRACE
Re: Secondary School Students Writing Exams for UNILAG Undergraduates! by kidgenious(m): 4:06am On Aug 24, 2006
hey pple calm down.first am a unilag student,engineering.yeah think i heard d full jist of wat happened but for goodness sake it was diploma exams held 2wks ago.i still want to maintain dat there is no way,i repeat no way a secondary school student will write any exam in unversity of lagos except gst courses.infact dis guy was stupid cos on d day of d exam he had no id n exam docket,besides the invigilator dint arrest him immediately,he merely asked for his id n knowin u dnt v any u shuld jst leave d exam hall,he was persistent on still stayin n d invigilator called d security n dat was it.pls dnt downgrade d school if u dnt v facts,impersonation happens in all tertiary instituition in nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ghanaian Boys Gang Rape A Girl At Legon University / G.c.e Form Is Out / Study In Nigeria And Abroad Using An A'level Programme.......its For Real !!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.