Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,090 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 (8280 Views)

Segun Odegbami's Daughter Weds In London / Segun Odegbami For FIFA President Promo Photos / Segun Odegbami Runs For FIFA Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 13, 2012
http://mobi.supersport.com/football/blogs/segun-odegbami/Its_Bafana_to_win

It is still some eight weeks to the start of Afcon 2013. I am sitting in front of my crystal ball just as I promised. I drift into the future.

It is February 10, 2013. The curtains have been drawn on the end of the Africa Cup of Nations. There is now a winner and 15 'losers'.

I see a raised platform with football players waiting in line to be decorated by the CAF president, Issah Hayatou. He is accompanied by the president of South Africa, Jacob Zuma.

The continent has just watched three weeks of the best of African football. Now it is time to crown the king. Which country do I see on the exalted podium?

Let me take you through the journey first.

Group A

It is South Africa all the way. The spirit of the championship, their position as hosts, the psychology of doing well in all the pre-championship friendly matches, creates a 'monster' for Morocco, Angola and Cape Verde.

Angola should have come through with South Africa from the group if only they played the last and not their second match against South Africa. The sequence of matches is very critical in these group matches and South Africa win their first two matches to be comfortable going into the knock-out stage.

So, Angola suffer and Morocco benefit by taking full advantage of their own last match against a South African team that does not need to play 'do-or-die' and risk everything by giving their all in their last match, having qualified earlier. That’s why Angola do not qualify from the group. In short, South Africa and Morocco go through in Group A.

Group B

There are some exciting matches here. Ghana and the Democratic Republic of the Congo provide the best of them. That they played against each other in the first match provides the opportunity, no matter the result of their match, of carefully navigating through the other matches against Mali and Niger.

They easily secure a berth in the next round. The Congolese prove to be a strong team, because the core of the team comes from the TP Mazembe FC. They are to DR Congo what Barcelona FC are to Spain.

The Malians and the Nigeriens only make up the numbers in this group without enough ammunition to cope with the maturity of Ghana and the cohesiveness of the Congolese.

Ghana and DR Congo go through.

Group C

This is straightforward. Nigeria's 'coat of many brilliant colours' surely and entertainingly overcame Burkina Faso and Ethiopia. That, on the eve of the championship, Keshi is still inviting more and more players from the army of old Nigerian players all over Europe does not affect the team too much. Nigeria still creates a buzz here with some absolutely beautiful individual performances.

The major test, as is expected, comes from Zambia. Nigeria and Zambia play a very cautious 'arrangee' match, safely avoiding any bruising contest that might damage either of them and stop them from coming out of the group.

Zambia, as defending champions, play with confidence and eyes-on-the-trophy mentality. They outrun, outplay and overpower Burkina Faso and Ethiopia. Nigeria top the group nd Zambia come a close second.

Group D

On paper Ivory Coast looked like clear favourites, not just of the group but in the championship. Almost one year after disappointing at the last hurdle in Afcon 2012 in Equatorial Guinea and Gabon, they are still 'wobbling and fumbling' to victory here. The 2012 team that was stronger failed to win. This one, with the same array of tired players that looks strong enough to take this championship, fail to do so, even if they go through this round.

Togo 'help' all the other teams build up their points.

The North Africans, Tunisia and Algeria, provide, perhaps, the match of the tournament when they meet each other. They bring out the best in each other whenever they meet. After that encounter they return to the hard reality of the rough and tumble of African football and one of them, Tunisia, falls by the wayside. The Algerians are slightly the stronger of the two North African teams and join Ivory Coast into the quarterfinals.

So, these are the eight teams that come through: South Africa and Morocco; Ghana and DR Congo; Nigeria and Zambia and Ivory Coast and Algeria.

Quarterfinals

South Africa take on DR Congo and win. Ghana rout Morocco.

Nigeria and Ivory Coast play a bruising match. This match inflicts too much damage on both teams and makes their semifinal match very difficult to win. The Super Eagles know they have to redeem their image against the Ivorians. They win this time for the first time in several previous championships.

Zambia and Algeria play one of the best matches of the championship. The North Africans find the Zambians easier to play against than any other team in the quarterfinals because of the way the Zambians play but the Zambians must survive to get to the finals and defend their crown. They fail. This bridge is too difficult for them to cross.

My crystal ball is getting hazy.

Semifinals

This is the ultimate test for the South Africans. They need to cross this line to win the championship. If they meet Ghana it will be bye-bye to their dream of repeating their 1996 feat. Should they meet Morocco they will arrive the finals confident that at that point no team can stop them. The whole of South Africa goes down on their knees in prayer. Who do they meet?

The second semifinal is between…I am getting confused now. Algeria or Nigeria?

Final

My eyes are now playing tricks with my mind. Is it Ghana versus Algeria, or South Africa versus Nigeria.

What’s happening here?

I hear a loud shrill in my ears!

I open my eyes, my heart pounding.

I am staring at the blank crystal ball before me. I had fallen asleep.

I am relieved. I will no longer have to put my neck on the chopping block predicting anything anymore.

It has all been a dream. Or has it?

I am thinking. Just before I woke up, did I not hear the sound of the vuvuzela, plus the faint chants of 'Bafana Bafana' reverberating in the distant recesses of my mind?
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 13, 2012
With this guy's writing skill, one begins to wonder whether it's the same football fields that produced the likes of Ikpeba, Yekini and co that produced him.

I don't think a veteran journalist would do better.

Meanwhile, he is only dreaming. SA, even with all the home advantage, can't win this AFCON. Its between CIV, Ghana or Nigeria. If there is any outsider, it's going to be Algeria. SA can't win this AFCON.

5 Likes

Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by MAYOWAAK: 8:11pm On Nov 13, 2012
Jarus: With this guy's writing skill, one begins to wonder whether it's the same football fileds that produced the likes of Ikpeba, Yekini and co that produced.

Meanwhile, he is only dreaming. SA, even with all the home advantage, can't win this AFCON. Its between CIV, Ghana or Nigeria. If there is any outsider, it's going to be Algeria. SA can't win this AFCON.

The place of education can't be over -emphasised.Guess you know he holds a HND,mechanical engineering from Ibadan polytechnic.
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Born2beRich1(m): 8:19pm On Nov 13, 2012
TB Joshua predicts matches and was correct...oya make we see wetin go happen Nxt year Mr Odegbami...*holding akpako in d hand*
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Zikdik(m): 8:33pm On Nov 13, 2012
Owkay.So if S.A wins,will Mathematical Segun get a private jet too? undecided
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by acidtalk: 8:35pm On Nov 13, 2012
That's wrong.

Ivory Coast are the winners of 2013.

Bookmark this.
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by ddippset(m): 8:36pm On Nov 13, 2012
Jarus: With this guy's writing skill, one begins to wonder whether it's the same football fileds that produced the likes of Ikpeba, Yekini and co that produced.

you think he' dreaming south africa will qualify but don't think he's dreaming that nigeria will beat drogba and his boys? You're very funny.
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by julioralph(m): 8:38pm On Nov 13, 2012
Lovely writing style from 'the mathematical' one.
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Denlightened(m): 8:40pm On Nov 13, 2012
this man predicts falsely like Pele;the same way he predicted Nigeria would win the AFCON in 2008 we finished seventh,lol.Let us just wait till Janvier
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Kaleni(m): 8:41pm On Nov 13, 2012
Pls ooo d entire house, hw can one create topic in dis forum ooo...
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by eyecicledivine: 8:41pm On Nov 13, 2012
the game of football can most times be d game of gamble and lottery.should anyone see it in another way,it wil be quite buzzling.he's crystal ball may go a long way.lets keep our fingers crossed.
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by ebamma(m): 8:45pm On Nov 13, 2012
After reading this topic,i was just pondering on what my gain will be even if nigeria wins,then i came to realise that i will gain nothing,

1 Like

Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by otokx(m): 8:49pm On Nov 13, 2012
He got it wrong
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by chuxon19yahoo(m): 8:53pm On Nov 13, 2012
GOOD CREATIVE WRITING,BUT DOUBTFUL PREDICTION.IT IS A TOUGH CALL.COULD BE CIV THIS TIME AROUND

1 Like

Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Mucokey(m): 8:58pm On Nov 13, 2012
Space reserved...
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 13, 2012
nice dream sir, wake up it is already 8:00am
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by azimibraun: 9:01pm On Nov 13, 2012
Yaya, Dideir, Papi Cisse, Demba Ba, Ayew muntari, the country dt wll win the AFCON mst hv sm dis names in dem.. Country wey dis names no dey no go win gbam!
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 13, 2012
Just a reminder: The winner of the 2013 AFCON will represent Africa (CAF) at the 2013 FIFA Confederations' Cup in Brazil.
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by chuxon19yahoo(m): 9:10pm On Nov 13, 2012
when u consider qualifiers,team strenght and recent experience in the competition,ELEPHANTS may eventually wield win
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by gunuvi(m): 9:16pm On Nov 13, 2012
Kaleni: Pls ooo d entire house, hw can one create topic in dis forum ooo...
U wan create topic? Okay create am make we see
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Umunede(m): 10:51pm On Nov 13, 2012
Good piece of writing but he mumbled everything. He predicted Nigeria will top d group and Ivory Coast top their group. How then can Nigeria and Ivory Coast meet in d quarter finals

1 Like

Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by semid4lyfe(m): 11:08pm On Nov 13, 2012
Well, like he gave away towards the end. . .it all happened in his dream grin
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Obi88(m): 11:19pm On Nov 13, 2012
azimibraun: Yaya, Dideir, Papi Cisse, Demba Ba, Ayew muntari, the country dt wll win the AFCON mst hv sm dis names in dem.. Country wey dis names no dey no go win gbam!
papis cisse and demba ba are already out, i wish super eagles the best

1 Like

Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Lordave: 11:21pm On Nov 13, 2012
Make una shut up! NA NAIJA get dat cup.
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by dadicvila(m): 11:30pm On Nov 13, 2012

dont rule out hurricane Zambia,the team that goes and returns together and also runs for 90mins,lets be frank,Super eagles are outsiders,lets be humble and tell ourselves the truth
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Bozzy001(m): 11:53pm On Nov 13, 2012
I don't think our so-called Super chickens can get to the finals in SA 2013,Drogba and his boys will win the competition.
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by Nobody: 12:09am On Nov 14, 2012
Is that a fairy tale? lmaoo
nawa keep dreaming in color!
After the final, we will wake u up and tell u who the winner is...
Re: Segun Odegbami Predicts South Africa Winner Of AFCON 2013 by onyxo76(m): 6:39am On Nov 14, 2012
Any of these teams can win the cup. Did anyone predict zambia to win this years AFCON? I don't think so. However, how far nigeria will go remains a doubt. I only hope we start camping on time and get our acts together. Football has gone beyond big names if cape verde can be in the competition and cameroun watching from sidelines.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Jumps 2.6 Meters High To Score Header In Juventus 2-1 Win (Ph / This Stadium Is Not In Europe but Nigeria (photo) / Your Favorite WWF Wrestler?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.