Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:24 PM

Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate (8916 Views)

Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail / Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate / Earn Money On A Monthly Basis; Its A Newinternet Phenomenon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by ifyalways(f): 11:38pm On Nov 24, 2012
My earlier post came in late. Lol

Anyway, congrats to all the ladies. You all did well.

Its modella, congrats!

So who's queenamina and cleoptara ?
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Rocktation(f): 11:43pm On Nov 24, 2012
Eyaa, this ended pretty fast. I was busy all through.

People (greatGod something something), this was for fun. I found that opposing the motion was a tad too easy. smiley
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by ifyalways(f): 11:43pm On Nov 24, 2012
I want sleep cheesy make una spill now. Lolz

Should I dream about child soldiers, I want to know who to be held responsible (cleoptara)
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cuddlemii: 11:45pm On Nov 24, 2012
ifyalways: I want sleep cheesy make una spill now. Lolz

Should I dream about child soldiers, I want to know who to be held responsible (cleoptara)

Lolz, she is right above you wink
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by freecocoa(f): 11:46pm On Nov 24, 2012
Cleopatra is prolly Rocky bebe.
Good one girls.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Rocktation(f): 11:46pm On Nov 24, 2012
Just told you na. Me is Cleopatra. Segzy choice of name, Cuddles.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by freecocoa(f): 11:47pm On Nov 24, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Lolz, she is right above you wink
I knew it.cheesy
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 24, 2012
I'm sorry I couldn't complete the debate, an urgent family issue came up and I had to attend to that.

Also, congrats to Cleopatra1, you did a wonderful job, so did Queen Amina. You ladies were great.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 24, 2012
Rocktation: Eyaa, this ended pretty fast. I was busy all through.

People (greatGod something something), this was for fun. I found that opposing the motion was a tad too easy. smiley
sourcing for references wasn't
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by firestar(f): 11:50pm On Nov 24, 2012
cheesy
Now, I can sleep!

Cleo, it was great sparring with you! wink
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by ifyalways(f): 11:51pm On Nov 24, 2012
Wow, I never would have guessed. My first guess was Jallowbah.
Nne you did well. Would you marry my son but don't turn him to a "child combatant" grin
You carefully avoided using the "soldier" word. Lolz
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by freecocoa(f): 11:52pm On Nov 24, 2012
ItsModella:
sourcing for references wasn't
Tell me about, only God fit help me tomorrow undecided.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by maclatunji: 11:53pm On Nov 24, 2012
sino: very good debates by all the ladies, kudos to y'all.
This was meant to be reasons i wanted to vote for cleopatra 1:
1. I like her introduction, it almost erased my sentimental position, i almost felt there might be a good thing afterall in child soldiers.

2. She raised logical points on the overall benefits of child soldiers, especially to the children, the points look good albeit on the surface.

3. Its evident that she did do her research, making informed presentation and referencing when apropriate.

4, Another point which i feel is also good is; "it seems to be a common fallacy to be comparing children in peaceful and posperous societies to those trying to survive in war-torn ones and conclude from this, that child soldering is entirely negative, and thus undesirable, for children. War, with its multiplier effect, often creates new social, economic, and political systems and relationand compels people to constantly negotiate, adapt and strategise their options and relationships, however difficult their circumstances might be."

5. and the conclusion, well what can i say, good. It brings to perspective the eventual consequences that might arise, be it war crimes or the after effects of war. children exposed to war who might eventually tend towards violence or become psycopaths should be rehabilitated and/or punished(although not equal to that of an adult) according to the crime.

Congrats to cleopatra1, and i want to think i know this contestant sha.

Thank you for saving me the trouble of having to type most of the above. Cleopatra1 was outstanding and she should very proud of herself, she has taken debating to a whole new level on Nairaland.

The 2 queens- give me a moment.

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cuddlemii: 11:55pm On Nov 24, 2012
freecocoa: Tell me about, only God fit help me tomorrow undecided.

You better represent or else I will give you Gozilla as your moniker cheesy
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by ifyalways(f): 11:56pm On Nov 24, 2012
freecocoa: Tell me about, only God fit help me tomorrow undecided.
did you get my messages?
Anyi nwere okwu, kpoturu m.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cuddlemii: 12:00am On Nov 25, 2012
ItsModella: I'm sorry I couldn't complete the debate, an urgent family issue came up and I had to attend to that.

Also, congrats to Cleopatra1, you did a wonderful job, so did Queen Amina. You ladies were great.

It's ok. You actually did well, considering you joined the debate just recently. You didn't have much time to prep for it but you gave it your best, that's what counts, dear.
It's a good learning experience for everyone.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by freecocoa(f): 12:00am On Nov 25, 2012
ifyalways: did you get my messages?
Anyi nwere okwu, kpoturu m.
I didn't o.
Will kpoturu gi right away.cheesy
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by maclatunji: 12:00am On Nov 25, 2012
Queen Victoria, I loved your ability to bring-out the important points against child-soldiering in a very concise manner. It was really straight-to-the point and weighty. It's a real pity you had to leave midway. An head-to-head battle with Cleopatra1 would have been something to behold.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by freecocoa(f): 12:02am On Nov 25, 2012
Cuddlemii:

You better represent or else I will give you Gozilla as your moniker cheesy
Give me something sexy o.
Will do my best, e follow for why I still dey awake.wink
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Rocktation(f): 12:07am On Nov 25, 2012
Awww, thanks people. And to tell you that I was still typing all that story when Cuddles asked me to come on...
Itsmodella, you should try sourcing for info that supports the motion and see for yourself. This whole world is against the phenomenon. Almost bought Rosen's 'child combatants' e-book.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Rocktation(f): 12:10am On Nov 25, 2012
Hmmn. Opposing the motion would have been BRUTALITY..complete massacre! Heheehe.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Tgirl4real(f): 12:10am On Nov 25, 2012
Rocktation: Just told you na. Me is Cleopatra. Segzy choice of name, Cuddles.

I knew it was either u or Efe. The rebuttal stage gave u a good edge over the others.

@ Cuddle, why u people no acknowledge my mail na.

Only Firestar could have been Amina. Too emotional. grin
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Nobody: 12:12am On Nov 25, 2012
Rocktation: Awww, thanks people. And to tell you that I was still typing all that story when Cuddles asked me to come on...
Itsmodella, you should try sourcing for info that supports the motion and see for yourself. This whole world is against the phenomenon. Almost bought Rosen's 'child combatants' e-book.
loool, I agree with you. How long did it take you to prepare your argument though?
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by maclatunji: 12:13am On Nov 25, 2012
Queen Amina, I found your opening argument quite emotional and rather disjointed. It's like you wanted us to pity the child soldiers instead of convincing us on how their condition is bad for them with clear arguments and facts.

In addition, you kept answering questions with questions- that is not the proper way to debate. Thrash out the issues raised by your opponents with clear arguments next time not by asking questions of your own as answers during the questions and rebuttal stage.

You may claim these questions were rhetorical but without facts or data. Your rhetoric looked rather lame and more of an emotional response.

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by SisiKill1: 12:15am On Nov 25, 2012
Well done ladies! You were beyond impressive!

Cleopatra1
When Cuddlemii first put the topic up, I contacted her saying I didn't think there would. .. could be an argument for a topic like this and shouldn't we perhaps look for something else? Well you know what. ...I am so glad she said we should go with it because I...many of us would carry on in our ignorance.

To say you did a fantastic job with the cards you were dealt will be an understatement. Your arguments was so convincing, I was actually nodding my head in agreement. ..despite the fact that I am a full fledge supporter of Child Soldiers Relief. ..you were that good. Again, Very well done!

Queen Amina and Queen Victoria
Thanks ladies for being part of this....like Ify said on another thread, this was a tough nut to crack and you took it on. I do feel though that there could have been more to your arguments, especially since you were arguing a point which majority agree with.

You wouldn't have had to look hard for points for your motion because it is everywhere.... Trauma, psychological damage, human dignity, child abuse, loss of childhood, forced labour...those points could have been stressed a lot more and the fact that there are actually organizations/coalitions fighting against this phenomenon would have been the ultimate punctuation of your points.

All in all it was a splendid exercise and I would like to personally like to thank everyone who participated...you all made the day.

To the organizers. ..Thank you, thank you for a job well done. More grease to your elbows and may the fountain of ideas never dry.

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Rocktation(f): 12:16am On Nov 25, 2012
ItsModella:
loool, I agree with you. How long did it take you to prepare your argument though?

You'd be surprised, I started last night! cheesy
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Nobody: 12:18am On Nov 25, 2012
Rocktation:

You'd be surprised, I started last night! cheesy
shocked shocked shocked shocked really? you did a really good job. Congrats once again.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by ayobase(m): 12:19am On Nov 25, 2012
So far so good, this DEBATE (Topic) remains my rated NO 1 on NL for now.
Especially the 'supporting'.....as ifyalways rightly said, I MIGHT HAVE BOLTED MID-WAY with flimsy excuse(s) as the case my warrant.....LOL!
KUDOS LADIES!
Cuddlemi....Nice one there.
Im gonna be around tomorrow to see the omega!
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cuddlemii: 12:19am On Nov 25, 2012
May I also add that we were not able to cover everything we had in stock for the debate and the debate phases.
The debaters wasted a lot of time, So, I implore debaters to get ready on time and try to keep to the timeline and schedule.
Also, sending an email to explain any emergencies or other forms of delay will be appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Rocktation(f): 12:19am On Nov 25, 2012
Thanks Sisi! I came armed with the child agency talk, to combat the incapability of kids to think rational. And no one mentioned that. thank God
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by maclatunji: 12:22am On Nov 25, 2012
All-in-all, I salute you all for the time, energy and effort made to make this a success. You have represented womenfolk well. Special greetings to Queen Amina, my rather harsh criticism is to help you improve- I know you have potential to be much better next time.

I thank the organisers, my fellow judges and the readers too. Really nice being a part of this.

Thank you.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Mynd44: 12:27am On Nov 25, 2012
Rocktation: Just told you na. Me is Cleopatra. Segzy choice of name, Cuddles.
I told you to look beyond the sentiments na. It's a debate not real life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Anyone Attending Ake Arts And Books Festival? / Poem : A Farewell To My Late Mother Part One / Oyinkan Braithwaite For International Women's Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.