Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,301 members, 7,954,196 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:01 PM

The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! (60959 Views)

Bride Price Of A Woman From Idemili In Anambra State / Mystery Of The Waist Beads And Modern Sexuality / The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Nobody: 1:42am On Dec 18, 2012
Interesting. Men the shear number of shrines in Anambra state makes me shiver o!
I do not think the Idemiri people worship the python, rather its the Ide bi na Miri that they worship, either the river or the being that is believed to own the river, the python is just a signature manifestation of the deity.
What am curious about is why most streams in Anambra are deities, infact streams and rivers are so venerated that they seem to have a personality of their own. As a kid I fear fear going down to the stream alone, or passing any of those Giant Akpu Trees.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 12:26pm On Dec 18, 2012
KenGali: Interesting. Men the shear number of shrines in Anambra state makes me shiver o!
I do not think the Idemiri people worship the python, rather its the Ide bi na Miri that they worship, either the river or the being that is believed to own the river, the python is just a signature manifestation of the deity.
What am curious about is why most streams in Anambra are deities, infact streams and rivers are so venerated that they seem to have a personality of their own. As a kid I fear fear going down to the stream alone, or passing any of those Giant Akpu Trees.
May be I will carry out a rich documentary on these 'mysteries' in Idemili one of these days! Really, I am fascinated by them!
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 3:33pm On Dec 18, 2012
Viewing this topic: berem!(f), agoha_vivi(f), tomakint

baby common say something, thank God you are here I am waiting........
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 18, 2012
in my village in orlu, it is forbidden to kill pythons too.though i havent asked my parents why.i remember in 1997 when i and my mum travelled for the burial of my grandad,i and my cousins saw a baby python.we just passed and when we later returned to that same spot it was gone !

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 3:44pm On Dec 18, 2012
berem!:
in my village in orlu, it is forbidden to kill pythons too.though i havent asked my parents why.i remember in 1997 when i and my mum travelled for the burial of my grandad,i and my cousins saw a baby python.we just passed and when we later returned to that same spot it was gone !
My position has always been, places where animals are shown love they tend to be docile and friendlier unlike places where they are being killed, they tend to be shy and hostile, this is more established unlike the spirtual undertones of animals as objects of totemism!
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Nobody: 4:07pm On Dec 18, 2012
^^^you really do love animals right? this part of the world where we come from dont really care about animals.as long as that animal is edible,we got no problem with it.i am gonna ask my dad why its a taboo to kill pythons in my village.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 4:10pm On Dec 18, 2012
berem!:
^^^you really do love animals right? this part of the world where we come from dont really care about animals.as long as that animal is edible,we got no problem with it.i am gonna ask my dad why its a taboo to kill pythons in my village.
trust me if you take time to study these 'wonderful creatures' you will be startled on how intelligent and reasonable they could be at least in their own little way..I love animals a lot, thats why favourite tv channel are AnimalPlanet, NatGeo T.V and wildlife documentaries! Please remember to ask your Dad for the reasons why they don't kill them, wao what a culture!!!
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Zet72(m): 5:04pm On Dec 18, 2012
python (eke or eke atammili) is reverenced in my area ihiala although it's had to be seen around like b4 since Christian(believers) don't care ,they kill & harm the harmless creature it's had to be sported or seen moving around like when I was growing up.
oooh I remember how this serpent will craw into our house then, when I complain my dad will say "go & sleep the eke will leave anytime it feel like " but there's no way we(I & my brothers) can sleep while it's hiding somewhere in the room so what we does is , get some kerosene & pour the poor thing,it will run like powerbike & will never near our house again. NT without my dads knowledge

I have more to say especially about what kerosene does to the creature,but no time.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 5:08pm On Dec 18, 2012
Zet72: python (eke or eke atammili) is reverenced in my area ihiala although it's had to be seen around like b4 since Christian(believers) don't care ,they kill & harm the harmless creature it's had to be sported or seen moving around like when I was growing up.
oooh I remember how this serpent will craw into our house then, when I complain my dad will say "go & sleep the eke will leave anytime it feel like " but there's no way we(I & my brothers) can sleep while it's hiding somewhere in the room so what we does is , get some kerosene & pour the poor thing,it will run like powerbike & will never near our house again. NT without my dads knowledge

I have more to say especially about what kerosene does to the creature,but no time.

But how big can they be in your village, because for a python to be considered 'big' it must be at least 10 feet long with at least a diametre of about 15 inches! How do you feel when you see one, have you ever thought of touching one at all,trust me those creatures are wonderful when tamed!
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 5:17pm On Dec 18, 2012
sweerie I can see you viewing this topic, you wanna say something?
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 18, 2012
i could rmbr last 3wks i saw some fulani men with a headless snake.i dont know if it was a python or boa constrictor.but it was as long as 6ft.they were carrying it ready to be cooked.how can such a creature be eaten when it can be kept in a zoo? that is where the problem is.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:24pm On Dec 18, 2012
berem!:
i could rmbr last 3wks i saw some fulani men with a headless snake.i dont know if it was a python or boa constrictor.but it was as long as 6ft.they were carrying it ready to be cooked.how can such a creature be eaten when it can be kept in a zoo? that is where the problem is.

it should be rathar eaten than kept in a zoo. they should be in the bush not in a cage.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 5:27pm On Dec 18, 2012
berem!:
You see what I am saying now,our culture needs to be upgraded, its just too barbaric, I remembered the expedition I went for in Iceland then in 2004, you need to see whales fraternizing with humans, dolphins and all sorts of sea creatures but if na here, remember the baby blue whale that was washed ashore then at bar beach in V.I, before you could say Jack Robinson, Lagosians don finish everything not minding what killed the whale, its that bad baby
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by uarikibe: 5:53pm On Dec 18, 2012
even in MBAITOLI LGA of IMO state,they dont kill the snake,but my mummy tried killing it one day,i noticed the resistance
she faced from my grand parents,that she can go an practice her chritianity in the town not in their domain

2 Likes

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:59pm On Dec 18, 2012
tomakint:
You see what I am saying now,our culture needs to be upgraded, its just too barbaric, I remembered the expedition I went for in Iceland then in 2004, you need to see whales fraternizing with humans, dolphins and all sorts of sea creatures but if na here, remember the baby blue whale that was washed ashore then at bar beach in V.I, before you could say Jack Robinson, Lagosians don finish everything not minding what killed the whale, its that bad baby

how is our Culture barbaric, when our true culture respects Snakes and other animals These Fulani are muslims for your kind info.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by GooseBaba: 8:37pm On Dec 18, 2012
Make person no chop again? Some people live side by side with snakes, while others See it as correct chop. No monopoly on chop.. Even man dey eat man In some villages..
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 18, 2012
i think why pythons are not eaten in some parts of igbo land is because of its medicinal purpose.can we ever forget the healing powers of ABUBU EKE? It is used mainly to heal fresh scars.but i wonder it is extracted from the pythons.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 10:50pm On Dec 20, 2012
berem!:
i think why pythons are not eaten in some parts of igbo land is because of its medicinal purpose.can we ever forget the healing powers of ABUBU EKE? It is used mainly to heal fresh scars.but i wonder it is extracted from the pythons.
the same thing too is applicable too in Yorubaland where the 'fat of pythons' are used as medicines. Pythons and many wild animals are delicacies in my place!
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:49pm On Dec 20, 2012
tomakint:
the same thing too is applicable too in Yorubaland where the 'fat of pythons' are used as medicines. Pythons and many wild animals are delicacies in my place!
eew!
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 11:53pm On Dec 20, 2012
NRI PRIEST:
eew!
What? cool
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:29am On Dec 21, 2012
tomakint:
What? cool

Where r you from,mate?
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by tomakint: 5:38am On Dec 21, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Where r you from,mate?
Ondo State! and you?
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ijebabe: 11:12pm On Feb 01, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
excellent post. this tradition and religion of Seprent worship is also present among the Nair and Bantavaru tribes of South-West India. they call themselves the Nagas or Serpent race. they worhsip Seprents to a large extent, especially the poisonous King Cobra. apparently these Serpents rarely harm human beings members of these tribes , especially around the Sacred Groves. if a person even witnesses a dead snake , he/she must conduct an appropriate funeral for the deceased snake and feed the entire village (approx 100 persons). if a person kills the snake, that individual must be ready to face the much feared wrath of the Cobra. apparently the influence and the power of the Serpents in these areas is such that muslims who live there have also secretly taken to worshiping these snakes. cool

You do know that some Nagas use snakes to harm people. They use black magic and even likened to assassins. That was then I don't know about now.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ijebabe: 11:28pm On Feb 01, 2013
Interesting stories. Snakes scare me though.
Now I'm scared to sleep sad
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:53pm On Feb 01, 2013
ijebabe:
You do know that some Nagas use snakes to harm people. They use black magic and even likened to assassins. That was then I don't know about now.

hmm i guess so. i have some Naga friends. i must ask them . .
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ijebabe: 12:14am On Feb 02, 2013
Alright. If I remember correctly they worship Shiva (he is always pictured with a snake) and he is known as the Destroyer.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:15am On Feb 02, 2013
ijebabe: Alright. If I remember correctly they worship Shiva (he is always pictured with a snake) and he is known as the Destroyer.

that is different. Shiva , the God of Destructive Forces is worshipped by all Hindus. However these Naga Tribes of South India (not to be confused with the Naga headhunters of North-EAstern India)apart from Shiva, worship Snakes as Ancestors and have Serpent Shrines in sacred forest groves near every home, consisting of different Serpent ANcestors. (no Shiva)

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ijebabe: 12:22am On Feb 02, 2013
You must be right. From what I have read from the Mahabharata I know them more in relation to their gods than otherwise.

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:28am On Feb 02, 2013
ijebabe: You must be right. From what I have read from the Mahabharata I know them more in relation to their gods than otherwise.

The Mahabharata is a good source of Indian Tribal history. TOday many of those tribes are extinct, while many of the tribes still exist under slightly different names or divided into sub-tribes/clans.

The Naga race is one among them.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ijebabe: 12:31am On Feb 02, 2013
I am more intrigued than judgmental about their culture their beliefs. Its a shame its eroding with modern times.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:42am On Feb 02, 2013
ijebabe: I am more intrigued than judgmental about their culture their beliefs. Its a shame its eroding with modern times.

yes it is eroding fast as the Indian govt. and Indian mentality is getting more and more anti-tribal by the days. the proportion of mixed-ethnic Indians is increasing as we speak.

a few of the upper castes are in fact Tribes , yet they do not recognize it, as the govt. of India recognizes only some Afro-Asiaic and nprth-eastern Indigenous groups as tribal groups.

on the other hand , the lower-caste tribes and indigenous tribes are fast losing out their culture due to missionary activity and in the name of progress.
Re: The Mystery Of The Idemili Culture!!! by ijebabe: 12:49am On Feb 02, 2013
Well progress is a good thing, its just a shame that certain must go for progress to take shape. The caste system is just the effect of capitalism cos in the days of Shiva every person had a dharma and were respected for it. Not everyone was born to be a Kshatriya or a Brahmin.

I enjoyed reading the Mahabharata and the Ramanayan and was questioned at home alot about it as its unchristian. I couldn't be bothered because it was all out of curiosity and interest. I don't think there is any hindu god I don't know of and I don't think there's anything wrong in that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

40 American Students Take Igbo Names After Tracing Ancestry To Igboland / "Why I Beat Up Another Monarch At Peace Meeting" - Oluwo Of Iwo / "My Wife, Chanel Chin Is The Most Beautiful Queen On Planet Earth"- Oluwo Of Iwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.