Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,927 members, 7,814,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Google Inaugurates Its Super-high-speed Internet Service - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Google Inaugurates Its Super-high-speed Internet Service (555 Views)

Does It Mean No Internet Service Provision For Those With 2/3g Phones On Ntel? / The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria / Mtn Bis (blackberry Internet Service) Freeeee! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Google Inaugurates Its Super-high-speed Internet Service by LordReed(m): 1:33pm On Nov 14, 2012
After years in the making, Google announced today that it has started connecting people in Kansas City, Kan., to its ultra high-speed fiber-to-the-home Internet service. Acting as guinea pigs of sorts, these locals will be the first people in the world who get to test out Google's new service and decide whether it lives up to the hype.
When Google first announced its nationwide Google Fiber project in 2010, around 1,100 U.S. towns and cities applied to get in on the deal. When Kansas City won out, Google Access General Manager Kevin Lo said, "new high-speed infrastructure will ultimately be carrying Kansas Citians' data at speeds more than 100 times faster than what most Americans have today."
Now, as the service officially kicks off, Google is making sure that its customers know what to expect. The company's representatives are going door-to-door letting people know their service is on the way and how the installation will work.

SOURCES: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57549436-93/google-inaugurates-its-super-high-speed-internet-service/
Re: Google Inaugurates Its Super-high-speed Internet Service by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:04pm On Nov 14, 2012
http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/11/google-fiber-is-live-in-kansas-city-real-world-speeds-at-700-mbps/

After months of fanfare and anticipation, gigabit home Internet service Google Fiber finally went live on Tuesday in Kansas City. The search giant is offering 1 Gbps speeds for just $70 per month—significantly faster and cheaper than what any traditional American ISPs are offering.

"We just got it today and I’ve been stuck in front of my laptop for the last few hours," Mike Demarais, founder of Threedee, told Ars. "It’s unbelievable. I’m probably not going to leave the house."

He lives in a four-bedroom house run by "Homes For Hackers" on Kansas City’s Hanover Heights neighborhood, just on the state border with Missouri. The house has become one of the hubs for the KC Startup Village, an informal group of entrepreneurs who have clustered around homes immediately eligible for Google Fiber.

Meanwhile, Demarais said that on an Ethernet connection, he’s seen consistent Google Fiber speeds of 600 to 700 Mbps, with Wi-Fi topping out around 200 Mbps. Even at the slower wireless speeds, that’s more than an order of magnitude faster than what most Americans have at home.

"The first thing I did was BitTorrent Ubuntu," he said. "I think that took two minutes, let me try it again right now."

Re: Google Inaugurates Its Super-high-speed Internet Service by luluosas(m): 3:32pm On Nov 15, 2012
How I wish this will be available in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Link For Games / MTN Can Lie!!! / Lets Golf 3 – Now Available In Blackberry World For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.