Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz (2701 Views)

Check Out My Son @1 / Picture Of My Son Preparing For School For The First Time / My Husband Has A Secret Life And I No Longer Trust Him, Help Me Plz What Do I Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by dellynash(f): 10:19am On Feb 05, 2008
hello nairalanders, im unmarried but i have a son with my boyfriend. We were together for four years but when i got pregnant he abandoned me for another woman and is now married to the lady. My child is two years now and i want to make his birth certificate but i want to put but my father's name and not my so called boyfriend's name cos he is not taking care of the child he hasn't even seen the child.will it be right if i put my father's name instead of his name? Please help me cos im really confused here
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by amsky(m): 10:41am On Feb 05, 2008
Hello Dellynash,
i feel a bit of your pain too.Let's try to do things right here. Afteraeverything you have gone through,he is the boy's father,and nothing can change that-even if he has denied paternity of this child. If i were in your shoes,he'll bear his father's name,and it will also be on his birth certificate.He is his biological father,pls put that in mind too.
You'll get different opinions from different people here,but the final decision is yours to take.

Goodluck. kiss

1 Like

Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by dellynash(f): 12:24pm On Feb 05, 2008
amsky thanks very much for your contribution i appreciate that. I look forward for more opinions
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by abbey10(m): 1:25pm On Feb 05, 2008
Hi Friend,
Dont because of your differences destroy ur baby's future
or event taint his destiny.
YOu guys invited him and not the other way round.
He's got his own life and let him be.
As for you and your guy,God help you.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by almondjoy(f): 4:24pm On Feb 05, 2008
Put his father's name.  Irrespective of if you are married or not--the child must bear his father's name. It really has nothing to do with your feelings or wishes. It is the child's identity.

Goodluck.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 05, 2008
don't. The child is yours alone. angry

F*ck that man!

3 Likes

Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by uspry1(f): 4:45pm On Feb 05, 2008
Put a child's biological father name on birth certificate. And put your feeling aside that has nothing to do with birth certificate.

Because when a child grows up into adult and has a right to know who biological father is as well as medical reason in case of something happen to a child like bone marrow, rare blood disease, etc. Never know that way a child can trace finding out what kind of biological father's medical record has.

That is what birth certificate for.

BTW, 14 years ago, I used to work for the state of vital statistic as full-time contracted data transcriber feeding all 1800s-1990s old handwritten microfiche films into automated system on 3-years contract. It has more than 25 millions microfiche film records that need to be upgraded into automated system. There were only 25 contracted data transcribers with the fastest 8,500 keystroke per hour. (Due to Federal Security reason)

It was lot of work because of hard to read sloppy doctor's handwritten on birth certificates, we have only three proofreaders to double check all birth certificates after data transcriber feed them in circle repeating same record THREE TIMES before final confirmation into final stage of automated system.

I am living witness seeing lot of old handwritten birth certificates that I hardly believe TO IMAGINE what 1800s was like for those pregnant women delivering babies in the hospitals as well as midwives/housedoctors everywhere in one STATE.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by idea(m): 5:47pm On Feb 05, 2008
just look beyond today.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by idea(m): 5:49pm On Feb 05, 2008
Hello Dellynash. do not be blinded by the anger of being jilted. life goes on.God will definately give you the right and best person you deserve. go on and give him(your son) the name( his biological father's name) he rightly should bear.

have fun and be blessed.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by amsky(m): 6:57pm On Feb 05, 2008
@ uspry1

Thank you so much for that post.It sure did make alot of sense.

@Dellynash

you've read it all.Put your feelings aside.The fact that his dad hurt you does not stop him from being his father. Thanks.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by Bossman(m): 7:02pm On Feb 05, 2008
Not only should you put your child's biological father's name on his BC, you should also try to make him know his father. The guy has not even seen his own son. I just can't believe some guys these days! I know it may not be easy raising your child on your own, and you have done that so far. You should definitely make sure the other woman knows you have a child for him. Don't know about over there, but on this end, his a$$ will be paying child support.  Best of luck to you.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by ifyalways(f): 8:32pm On Feb 05, 2008
@poster,dont deny the child his identity and roots.
let him have his fathers name infact its his right.
be strong dear.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by adeboo(f): 8:38pm On Feb 05, 2008
Girl do not even think about not putting the name - you must.

The irony of the case is that, when your chikd grows and he has no father's name on the birth cert, the family would always have negative words for him.
Not to talk of the fact that the man will say he isnt mine cause my name isnt on his birth cert.

And its ur ex that got u pregnant and not ur father.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by Nobody: 3:39am On Feb 06, 2008
dellynash:

hello nairalanders, im unmarried but i have a son with my boyfriend. We were together for four years but when i got pregnant he abandoned me for another woman and is now married to the lady. My child is two years now and i want to make his birth certificate but i want to put but my father's name and not my so called boyfriend's name because he is not taking care of the child he hasn't even seen the child.will it be right if i put my father's name instead of his name? Please help me because im really confused here

My dear, put your ex-boyfriend's name on the birth certificate. that's his son, even though he won't acknowledge it, it'll always be his son. your child might end up asking for his father's name in the future. give your son his father's name, at least a piece of his runaway father. that's his birthright.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by dellynash(f): 10:27am On Feb 06, 2008
Thanks very much for all contributions im surely going to put his father's name on the BC.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by efuah(f): 3:26pm On Feb 06, 2008
Give him his father's name. . . mistakes are part of human but we normally live to make amends. I assure you that the father will come around someday to take full responsibity of his son. . .two years is still young, there's a long way ahead.

all da best n goodluck!
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by ladebi(m): 11:28am On Feb 07, 2008
Bearing your fathers name or his biological fathers name is not going to change who the father of your child is.
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by mystikalb2(m): 12:21pm On Feb 07, 2008
dear my brother's has said it all, be strong

wish u good luck
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 07, 2008
I don think you can do that with the man's permission. he has to accept the child before u can use his surname. That's why some women use their maiden name for their kids got out of wedlock because the man has denied paternity of the child.

Have you tried asking him if he is cool with it?
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by almondjoy(f): 3:52pm On Feb 08, 2008
michelin89:

I don think you can do that with the man's permission. he has to accept the child before u can use his surname. That's why some women use their maiden name for their kids got out of wedlock because the man has denied paternity of the child.

Have you tried asking him if he is cool with it?

Sure you can.  Just use the baby daddy's last name as the middle name.  Then change it later when the coast is clear! cool  Just make sure it is the real baby daddy that's all.

Something like----James[b] Ibori [/b] Onanefe! grin

When the child gets to school, tell them that it was a mistake! cheesy
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by Nobody: 7:57pm On Feb 08, 2008
I am so careless these days.

I meant to say: I don't think you can do that without the man's permission.

All the same AJ understood what I meant. cheesy
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by Youngpo413: 10:41am On Jul 05, 2014
??
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by egopersonified(f): 1:01pm On Jul 05, 2014
Young po413: ??

are u booking space after six years?
Re: Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz by Youngpo413: 6:31pm On Jul 16, 2014
^hahaha

(1) (Reply)

A Yoruba Wedding In London In 1949 - Pic / Changed / I don't want to be a Single Mother!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.