Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? (10537 Views)

Rasheed Adewale-Akanbi Wearing Suit On Throne - Pic / Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / What's So Special About Male Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by ochukoccna: 7:54pm On Nov 16, 2012
okpurukata: I wish our NASS can promulgate a law that makes it compulsory to wear traditional on Fridays. Imagine what the impact will be on the textile industry alone. The ripple effect continues, to the tailors/fashion designers.

On a recent trip to India, I was amazed to see that they wear their traditional sari even to work, including bankers.

I really appreciate friday dress down, but unfortunately, my Bank does not allow it. Suit suit suit all through the week
undecided
The bolded points out Africa's follow follow mentality in so many things occidental
I don't believe our native attire[s] hinder banking duties,functions in any way whatsoever

2 Likes

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by remzytimer: 8:12pm On Nov 16, 2012
Wearing native promotes our culture and on fridays shows how social we are
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by JallowBah(f): 8:19pm On Nov 16, 2012
[quote author=patanjaly]Because in islam friday is day require for you to wear your best clothes(in northern nigeria native dress are seen as islamic attire while shirt n trousers as christian) [/quote

I was gonna say somewhat the samesmiley
Friday is praying-day for muslims, so in f.ex Gambia/Senegal that is the biggest reason why.
I would think that for a christian country, it would be sundays instead of fridays, but guess I was wrong.

I do envy africans native dresses, the way much of it is coming. It comes in all shapes and sizes and lenghts, with so much beautiful decoration, and it CAN be worn every day. And many women do wear it everyday.
My native dress can not be worn every damn day, it takes too much work, and it is heavy, and it is too damn hot in the summer ( made of 100% wool ).
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by Akanbi1509(m): 8:41pm On Nov 16, 2012
Friday is a special day see me in my office with my native attire

1 Like

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by mickeymimi: 9:06pm On Nov 16, 2012
it's almost weekend and people usually start their faaji from friday afternoon.
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by patanjaly: 9:23pm On Nov 16, 2012
I hope the nigerian christians in future will not tag the act as another islamization of nigeria.
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:10pm On Nov 16, 2012
i have a question. say if i belonged to the Hamer tribe. would i then be allowed to go to office in this attire:

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by kooto(m): 10:46pm On Nov 16, 2012
wem88: Puttn on native wears on friday makes you look nigerian
So what will one look like on monday to friday? just asking.
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by kooto(m): 10:48pm On Nov 16, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
i have a question. say if i belonged to the Hamer tribe. would i then be allowed to go to office in this attire:

Why not if the company is yours.
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by Sike(m): 11:45pm On Nov 16, 2012
JideTheBlogger: I think Naija Muslims started it....
Naija Christains now complaining abi?
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by Panter215: 1:55am On Nov 17, 2012
Not only Fridays. I see people wear native more on Saturday for weddings, burial and/
or Sunday to church.
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by Alishachris: 3:33am On Nov 17, 2012
"FREE Report Shows You How You Can Achieve 5 Times More At No Cost"

Become a better You Today! Enjoy all the good things that life has to offer.

Also get Free 1999 Nigerian Costitution (2004 reviewed). Refuse to be intimidated!

Click the links below to download:

http://www.4shared.com/office/R2yYe7Of/BETTER_YOU.html
http://www.4shared.com/office/dv-OBGwB/constitution_FRN_third_altecat.html
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by bobolekepee(m): 6:02am On Nov 17, 2012
TGIF
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by shilling(f): 6:24am On Nov 17, 2012
Very interesting...didn't know about this trend. I guess this is Naija's version of casual Fridays. I like it!
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by MhizLee(f): 7:14pm On Nov 17, 2012
coolWhite collar jobs, as they are fondly called are official positions and must be treated formally. However, because we are africans and need to promote our culture, a less serious working day, usually towards the weekend(friday) is chosen to celebrate what makes us African (our Ankara nd oda native wears). That's what makes it special!
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by zakir007(m): 9:43pm On Nov 11, 2019
patanjaly:
I hope the nigerian christians in future will not tag the act as another islamization of nigeria.
I'm surprised you said this in 2012.... it's 2019 now and...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Traditional Marriage In Ebira(igbira) Land / Accra Vs Lagos / Eulogy Of Yoruba Towns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.