Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? (10522 Views)

Rasheed Adewale-Akanbi Wearing Suit On Throne - Pic / Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / What's So Special About Male Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by blessedmayor(m): 2:40pm On Nov 16, 2012
unlike other days,people now loves to put on our
Native wears mostly on fridays.

Plz what makes it so SPECIAL?

1 Like

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by emyibe(m): 3:35pm On Nov 16, 2012
what are you wearing today? be real for me like to wear it every day
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by candieangel12(f): 3:35pm On Nov 16, 2012
Second!
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by dilbert100: 3:36pm On Nov 16, 2012
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by FoxyRebirth(m): 3:38pm On Nov 16, 2012
Putting on native makes u look truly African... But wait o.... What is it with corporate bodies and natives on Friday sef.... undecided undecided undecided
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by megxo(m): 3:38pm On Nov 16, 2012
ah dunno.......but its nao a part of me..........

PLUS I STAY IN KADUNA

1 Like

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by AlhajiPastor: 3:40pm On Nov 16, 2012
AS FAR AS I AM CONCERN, NATIVE SHOULD BE WORN ANY DAY, THOUGH OFFICIALLY SOME ORGANISATIONS LIKE BANKS AND GOVERNMENT PARASTATALS HAVE AGREED TO MAKE FRIDAY A NATIVE DRESS DAY.

2 Likes

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by wem88(m): 3:42pm On Nov 16, 2012
Puttn on native wears on friday makes you look nigerian
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by anishe(m): 3:43pm On Nov 16, 2012
Google remains your best friend ever. Thank you

7 Likes

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by gabriel212: 3:44pm On Nov 16, 2012
It's our culture so we must appreciate. Main reason some official people wear native on Friday is because of the Muslim Prayer that is observe on Friday.

4 Likes

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by daroz(m): 3:59pm On Nov 16, 2012
anishe: Google remains your best friend ever. Thank you
and what is dat?
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by JideTheBlogger(m): 4:02pm On Nov 16, 2012
I think Naija Muslims started it....

1 Like

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by Damitism: 4:15pm On Nov 16, 2012
@OP You mean what is so special about my good native dress? *frown* Go and ask ur great-grandmother and she will tell you.
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by Smartiegurl(f): 4:16pm On Nov 16, 2012
No idea buh i thnk is good!
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 16, 2012
I never liked it, but i've started wearing it sometimes on Thursday/Friday.
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by ayabunmi(f): 4:19pm On Nov 16, 2012
In my office, its the only day without suit and its brothers wink. Friday is the day you can wear what you like.........Native tongue

1 Like

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by tunapawizzy: 4:20pm On Nov 16, 2012
culture preservation...shouldnt be limited to fridays
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by patanjaly: 4:20pm On Nov 16, 2012
Because in islam friday is day require for you to wear your best clothes(in northern nigeria native dress are seen as islamic attire while shirt n trousers as christian)

5 Likes

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by aglomar: 4:25pm On Nov 16, 2012
To Be Nigerian once in a week

1 Like

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by slimyem: 4:25pm On Nov 16, 2012
You wear Oyibo dress 4 days of the week..to wear your native wear one day con still be issue?
What's so special in the suit and tie you wear 4 days of the week??

3 Likes

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by Johnsonifeoluwa(m): 4:31pm On Nov 16, 2012
I feel good in it especially on Friday
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by kokoye(m): 4:42pm On Nov 16, 2012
they probably used up their western clothes and had to end up with the weekend clothes - natives grin

or ...the weekend mood starts on friday.
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by JW214: 4:50pm On Nov 16, 2012
anishe: Google remains your best friend ever. Thank you

FYI, information needed about Nigeria and Nigerians will be found on sites and forums like this(NL), that is why a topic like(thread) this should be treated well. Go back to google and make the search, it will likely refer U to this thread on NL or some other Nigerian sites and forum.

I read a thread this afternoon "interview of some Nler", most of them got to know about NL while making some searches about Nigeria and Nigerians through some search engines.

Google is just a search engine,I think the OP is in the right place!

@OP: I think it just a way of getting relaxed and a reminder that the weekend is starting

3 Likes

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by smileyprin(m): 5:30pm On Nov 16, 2012
Its much easier goin to mosque in native coz it feels more relaxed...nd to kick start the weekend i guess.

2 Likes

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by maasoap(m): 5:35pm On Nov 16, 2012
Damitism: @OP You mean what is so special about my good native dress? *frown* Go and ask ur great-grandmother and she will tell you.
u be Olodo1 of nairaland.

1 Like

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by mu2sa2: 5:56pm On Nov 16, 2012
Some years ago some muslims would carry their traditional dress to office in a bag and wear in the afternoon to go for Jumaat prayer. many of them would consider it awkward to wear western-style cloth to friday mosque. But it seems now that they just wear traditional to office every friday for convenience to avoid changing dress in the office. The practice just caught on with everybody irrespective of religion especially given that we nigerians love our traditional dress. organisations that require their staff to wear corporate dress had no choice but to accede to the popular culture. so today in virtually every office friday is the day to showcase nigerian costumes. Great, if you ask. The oyibo don fail for this one - them no fit take away our native.

2 Likes

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by zaboy: 6:13pm On Nov 16, 2012
I think it has to do with Friday being a mini muslim holiday. We (muslims) are encouraged to wear our best clothes on any of our holidays. And most of us feel our best clothes are the traditional ones. I certainly feel awkward wearing a shirt and jeans to friday prayers. So i think other people caught the fever as well.
I hope we will one day be able to wear our traditional attire all day of the week to work!

3 Likes

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by nagoma(m): 6:16pm On Nov 16, 2012
I think one of the military regimes , ( I believe it was OBJ ) deliberately wanted to encourage use of Nigerian traditional clothes. Friday was considered suitable as people unwind for the weekend. It's coinciding with Muslim day of prayer works positively . The idea is to give more dignity to the country's tradition and to ensure that it is sustained. Not all African countries have traditional dressing they are proud of.
By the way have you ever seen obj dressed in suit? I haven't.

I will not be surprised if some nuts object to this voluntary habit just because it suits Muslims in addition to it's culture preserving effect.

1 Like

Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by adonisyung(m): 6:19pm On Nov 16, 2012
megxo: ah dunno.......but its nao a part of me..........

PLUS I STAY IN KADUNA
please beware of boko are ram
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by okpurukata(f): 6:48pm On Nov 16, 2012
I wish our NASS can promulgate a law that makes it compulsory to wear traditional on Fridays. Imagine what the impact will be on the textile industry alone. The ripple effect continues, to the tailors/fashion designers.

On a recent trip to India, I was amazed to see that they wear their traditional sari even to work, including bankers.

I really appreciate friday dress down, but unfortunately, my Bank does not allow it. Suit suit suit all through the week undecided
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by Clemzy16(m): 6:50pm On Nov 16, 2012
I think friday is set-aside by some co-operate organisations for wearing clothes other than the ones speculated in the work place. I actually observed seeing some banker wearing pens and long-sleve today in Bank. Unlike the suit they usually wear..
Re: What's So Special Wearing Native On Fridays? by OkwaIfugo(m): 7:04pm On Nov 16, 2012
Friday is usually cloth flexing day for some peeps.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Accra Vs Lagos / Eulogy Of Yoruba Towns / Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.