Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,914 members, 7,835,053 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Please How Do I Handle This Client - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Please How Do I Handle This Client (1292 Views)

Pay Before OR After Cpanel Handover? How Do I Handle This Client? / How Do I Charge this client? / How Do I Handle This Client (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Do I Handle This Client by Javanian: 4:43pm On Nov 16, 2012
Good day web masters, a client asked me to design a website for his company for 15k, although the money was not worth it but i agreed to do it because:

1, He agreed to do the hosting himself
2, It is a static web site of about 6 pages
3, He owns other companies and has promised to give me other jobs with better pay once he is satisfied.
4, I needed the money.

O.k. now to the main issue, After doing the web site for him he called me this morning to tell me he didn't like what i did and that i should start again, i was suprised because i knew i gave in my best. He then told me that the website is toooo "simple" and he wanted something more "professional". He said he wanted more gif and flash animations to make it look more "professional". He then told me to design some thing like http://www.gicoil.com for him and thats what he wants. My honourable web masters you all should take a look at the so called professional site he told me to follow.

I tried explaining to him that i cannot design a site like that because it looks like something designed in 1990 and no modern web site has that kind of design but all my explanation fell on deaf ears. He still insisted he wanted something exactly like that.

I am not a free lancer, infact this is my first job, and i am only doing this because i need the money. I do more of Desktop, mobile applications and games. I have been pondering on the whole issue and i am considering refunding him his money, i cannot design that kind of rubbish just because of 15k because I would have no face if a fellow developer hears i am the one that designed such a site.

Now my question is, do you guys encounter this kind of clients?? or is it that my own is a special case?? and also what do you advice i do in this situation??
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by PrinceNN(m): 5:08pm On Nov 16, 2012
Hahaha wow I'd say giv him wht he wants...u cud even make a clone of d oda site....besides...customers are always right!!!
hahaha

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by Afam4eva(m): 5:13pm On Nov 16, 2012
Some clients can be annoying. They'll first tell you to design a small website and after agreeing to design it for a meager feee, they'll start telling you that they want a professional website. If you need a professional website then pay a professional fee.

@OP
I think you should just try and give him what he wants since you said it's your first job. Don't even think of returning that money.
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by idesignwebsite(m): 5:18pm On Nov 16, 2012
So he want an oil company job and doesn't want to pay an oil company money.Please tell him to Zap off.
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by Javanian: 5:34pm On Nov 16, 2012
afam4eva: Don't even think of returning that money.

Thanks for the advice but what if a serious client sees that site isnt it enough for me to loose a serious job? I know i need the money but i like looking at things from different angles...
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by Slyr0x: 5:43pm On Nov 16, 2012
Run a Website crawler + Saver on http://www.gicoil.com and save all the webpages to your PC. The good thing is they are all .html pages.

The only thing you have to do is change the images + logo and ure good to go wink

2 Likes

Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by Slyr0x: 5:45pm On Nov 16, 2012
Javanian:

Thanks for the advice but what if a serious client sees that site isnt it enough for me to loose a serious job? I know i need the money but i like looking at things from different angles...

Do NOT include "Developed by Javanian" in the footer wink
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by PGON(m): 6:17pm On Nov 16, 2012
Javanian: Good day web masters, a client asked me to design a website for his company for 15k, although the money was not worth it but i agreed to do it because:

1, He agreed to do the hosting himself
2, It is a static web site of about 6 pages
3, He owns other companies and has promised to give me other jobs with better pay once he is satisfied.
4, I needed the money.

O.k. now to the main issue, After doing the web site for him he called me this morning to tell me he didn't like what i did and that i should start again, i was suprised because i knew i gave in my best. He then told me that the website is toooo "simple" and he wanted something more "professional". He said he wanted more gif and flash animations to make it look more "professional". He then told me to design some thing like http://www.gicoil.com for him and thats what he wants. My honourable web masters you all should take a look at the so called professional site he told me to follow.

I tried explaining to him that i cannot design a site like that because it looks like something designed in 1990 and no modern web site has that kind of design but all my explanation fell on deaf ears. He still insisted he wanted something exactly like that.

I am not a free lancer, infact this is my first job, and i am only doing this because i need the money. I do more of Desktop, mobile applications and games. I have been pondering on the whole issue and i am considering refunding him his money, i cannot design that kind of rubbish just because of 15k because I would have no face if a fellow developer hears i am the one that designed such a site.

Now my question is, do you guys encounter this kind of clients?? or is it that my own is a special case?? and also what do you advice i do in this situation??

Clients do give specification but not very strict spec...
All you need to do is to make a very good design and show him.... he will have reasons to ask you to go ahead with your own design.

I have designed a theme (.php) that can solve this problem...

The website background image is dynamic (like bing.com).
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by akay48(m): 6:22pm On Nov 16, 2012
@JAVANIAN...Sweerie, Slyr0x has said it all, his two comments are d steps u need to take...Get a website copier and download d site + dont include 'Designed by Javanian'...
Now to further 'handle' him better, I'd like to knw if he has paid you in full, else, make sure he agree (by contract) to allow u own the whole design until he fully pays you, cuz he might go ahead to use those designs without ur consent and tell u he's no more interested in your work (from experience). Infact, make him sign a 'Terms of Service' agreement designed by you so that even if any thing happens, you wont be on d loosing end. Some clients can be annoying though, but you hav to do his job, u can never tell what else might be coming from his end. GOODLUCK!
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 16, 2012
I personnally hate building website frontends. I prefer web backends, desktop, mobile and game dev myself, but i will share some of my experience with you.

First off, From experience, I never EVER listen to that "i just need a simple site" nonsense.
Cheap clients always say that just so you can quote them low, but they always have interesting change requests after.

Welcome to the world of freelancing.
1. You need a contract. client MUST sign off before you do ANY work for them.
If they dont want to sign, they are NOT worth it undecided even your uncle must sign.
Otherwise the erson will simply tell you "NOOO oh, I agreed to pay you N8000 not N12000 " when its time to pay up angry

2. Down DEposit! Ofcourse no client likes this, but your seriousness to THEIR project can only be matched by THEIR seriousness to their own project. Besides, you need to buy images, etc, but that is besides the point.
Knowing they have already parted with money over this, a client is less likely to be sketchy. Some of them even piss out in the middle of it, with you having wasted your time. If they've seen your work and know what you can do, and if they were planning on paying you before, then they have no issues putting in a percentage down deposit. Your time is valuable. Do not cater unseriousness angry

When I am a client, because I understand, i have no issues giving down payment. I always ask and sometimes insist because I know it also helps them put in their best. Money-on-hand is a great performance booster.

2. Have clear terms. In that contact, If you are quoting them something small, state the terms of this quote (i.e. no iterations, must take it as they see it). Put it to them with this logic, By wanting it done so low, they are taking the risk of accepting WHATEVER it is you do for them with limited design input from them except content text. If they cannot take this risk, then you cannot give it to them for such a low price and you will have to charge them normally. KPAM. Not doing this, you will only grieve yourself 90% of the time. I can bet money on this.

3. Never listen to all that, I will give you more business if you do it cheap thing. If You do well they will give you more business anyway.
If you let them hold that over you, they will ride you hard.
Better also that after doing the first one, i am not too overly grieved with the client and fire them myself. I prefer to be in good terms with my client after a project than being offered more work with them. I have fired many clients because of this.

4. Respect your Brand, learn how to walk away laughing. Remove any mental blocks that may keep you from comfortably charging your clients for the worth of work done.
As you progress, Professional self-esteem is key. Some proffessional sites with lots of features cost their owners 10s of thousands of dollars to design. But you will always find that client who wants it all (and more) for just 300 dollars (usually the ones with the silly i will give you more business argument). undecided angry you will find that clients like these dont know what they are doing or what their project entails, they are just running through the motions of haggling by default just because. So by you being firm and professional, you can usually brinig them to reason, or if it theyre that unserious, out the door.

Business is partly a psychological tug between 2 parties. Try not to get pulled in so much that you loose your comfort and identity.
Be considerate to your clients, but only you can stop someone from taking advantage of and walking over you.

3 Likes

Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 16, 2012
save that site, change stuffs there and upload for him.
just improve on it a bit and remember to show him the improvements.
that should make him smile.

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by spikesC(m): 11:17pm On Nov 16, 2012
My dear...you have just 2 options.
1. Put in your best, take your time, be in love with ur design apps and create an overwhelming design that u urself will mavel at and proudly put up that huge DEVELOPED BY JAVANIAN.

2. Or walk up to him, tell him how u value ur reputation and that it is more worthy than the 15K. Give him back the shitty money and find ur way. You're a desktop babe, u should never eat shlt.

Moral of the story....
what is worth doing is worth doing well. The 15K is valuable and so is ur reputation, guard them both well.
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by osamedia(m): 1:31am On Nov 17, 2012
Its well, just copy the website,change stuffs like d image and the footer, then uploadn well d client complain again, then burste bottle for him head.but next time,if any client dats wnt to pay low like dat comes, before u move on, just show him some sample to choose from but since its ur first website, I will advice you just go to some wordpress themes and show d client different themes to choose its choice,those client na just make dem get website dem dey, non be how u wan take build have dem dey, once dey point d one dey like, dem they make payment, like me if I too pity for d client, na 60% downpayment for job to start.
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by utimatedes(m): 7:13am On Nov 17, 2012
Hmmmmm! Wonders shall never end! This is funny, very funny!!

@Poster, Slyr0x has said it all. Also pick some point by 2buff.
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by DualCore1: 8:14am On Nov 17, 2012
Refund the money and tell him his job request falls below your professional integrity and in the interest of all parties you have decided to give him a full refund.

Never accommodate difficult clients because you need the money. They will make you pay back that little money in several ways including frustration.

Don't take cheap jobs, they are cheap in all aspects of the word cheap.

Although I have stopped freelancing and now write maintenance and mod codes for existing projects, these suggestions are from my experience over the years.

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by osamedia(m): 9:58am On Nov 17, 2012
baba dual core, were u come dey nw?
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by DualCore1: 10:03am On Nov 17, 2012
osamedia: baba dual core, were u come dey nw?
Your back sir, loyally following you smiley
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by osamedia(m): 10:25am On Nov 17, 2012
Dual Core:
Your back sir, loyally following you smiley

After u don chop all d money finish, una come bone us when still dey suck our mama breast. lol
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by yawatide(f): 11:31am On Nov 17, 2012
1) From experience, it is the cheapest clients that give the most trouble

2) ALWAYS begin by showing the client a graphical design and not a completed website. Making changes is easier with the former

3) If you don't like what he showed you, be professional enough to stand your ground and to refund the money (no matter how badly you need it) and wish him a good day and hope he finds someone else

4) Don't get your hopes up for him getting you other jobs. If I had N1000 for every client who has told me that over the past 13 years, I would have a house at VGC by now tongue

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by heynew: 11:15am On Nov 18, 2012
@Javanian u have already make the first mistake of making urself worth less by charging 15k for the project, Don't make the second mistake by making ur brand worthless by designing a site like http://www.gicoil.com (which is the worst site that have been designed after the death of Christ )

Note: Customers are always right not when it come to things u know better than them, is like a customer telling an electrician to put -ve wire where +ve suppose to be because that's what he wants
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by Javanian: 11:21am On Nov 18, 2012
Thanks @ all
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by 53cur3m0d3(m): 7:23am On Nov 21, 2012
Everyone has spoken so my question to U is "wat've U decided to do"?
I had one crazy client like that early dis year who just abandoned his project wit me.I'm not mad at him or anything,I've just decided to add that to my portfolio cos most ppl hav seen its design and are like "Wow!this is some dope ish" plus I kno I gave in my best.
I'm thinkin of removing his title,header and logo from the page,then having personal customization done on it.I myt be hosting it very soon.

*P.S==>Ur works 'll speak more for U in ur absence,remember the internet is the World Wide Web...
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by ogbenigreen: 8:09am On Nov 21, 2012
professionalism must always work without sentiment or ego. when you are doing business, the most important thing is the client and not your ego. on the long run in life, you will be remembered not by how fine your work is, but by how many people you please. you must do all in your power to please this apparently unreasonable person. therein lies your maturity and true professionalism . therein lies your real ladder to long therm success in life. never look at the present. always look at the client. never look at the money. always look at quality service. if you make a beautiful site by your own standards but the client is very unhappy is that success? if you make this ugly site and the client is so happy that he keeps singing your praises all the time .. is that success ? you can be the judge. do not say that you just need the money. you took it. so you must do what it was given for without sentiments. i will want to assume that the person who gave it to you worked for it. that you have decided to seek advise suggests that you are an honourable person. do wha he wants and even more. there are devine rule to this thing... i am speaking from experience...good luck
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 22, 2012
since u av accepted the moni, u ar duty bound to satisfy ur client whether u like it or not. CHEERS. ****pops hennesy****
Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 22, 2012

3 Likes

Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by 53cur3m0d3(m): 9:49pm On Nov 22, 2012

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by Bigdreams(m): 11:50pm On Nov 22, 2012

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Handle This Client by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 23, 2012
@53cur3m0d3 @Bigdreams you're welcome, am glad to be of help!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

SOLVED: Phpass Login Issue With Checkpassword / How to Get .com, .net And .com.ng Domain Names For Free / Where Do You Register Your Domain Name?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.