Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,189 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan (5822 Views)

How To Conserve Fuel In Your Car During This Fuel Scarcity / Car Users Please Note When Buying Fuel... / My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by logo77: 4:36pm On Nov 22, 2012
otokx:

He is not a fuel station boy

Prove it !
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Akuviv: 4:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
poster you have a point but who would fine these guys? the same people who collect the 'turnover' from these pump attendants? we queued at NNPC Mega station at ikoyi from 3pm and did not get fuel until past 8pm. we were fortunate to be attended to because a mother in the queue caused a great scene. They left individuals in their cars and preferred selling to folks with kegs for N500 EXTRA
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by logo77: 4:42pm On Nov 22, 2012
dabriggs: No there is no charge attracted when you buy fuel in a JerryCan.

Yes during one of the numerous scarcities, there was a directive that products should not be sold into such receptacles.
However it was cas specific and was because of the hoarding and the fact that black market activities boomed despite the scarcity.

However in recent times attendants have short changed customers all because they brought a jeryycan. If it gets bad insist on seeing the manager or supervisor. If it is a major marketer, threaten that you will report the said attendant at their corporate office (most attendants in Majors wear name tags).
I used to threaten them and have my way with my DPR I.D Card. At a time I got tired as I became recognised at Total and M.R.S Ojota. Most will just smile and say "oga anything for your boys".
I was shocked that in Port Harcourt, attendants can take as much as 100-200 naira for jerrycan charge. And they are bolder. But thanks to my DPR I.D.

Its the ordinary persons who suffer this and it is not fair.

@dabriggs: What is DPR doing about this issue?

Its not about the extra money the fuel attendent exort from us; its more about the culture of corruption and failure of the regulatory agencies in carrying-out their duties.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by otokx(m): 5:17pm On Nov 22, 2012
logo77:

Prove it !

the onus lies on you to prove otherwise
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by stagger: 5:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
There has been a law prohibiting sale of fuel in jerry cans for more than 20 years. But the law which was meant to stop black marketeering has not worked, so it is time to set it aside.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by IyfeNamikaze(m): 5:30pm On Nov 22, 2012
Area_boy: Did you know, "JerryCan" means German can??

The Germans invented it just before ww2 and the allies(America/Britain) called Germans "Jerry".

Hence, Jerrycan smiley

There's a fun fact you didn't know tongue

yeah... I remember playing the medal of honor and call of duty,and weneva the german soldiers appear,the commander will shout ''jerrys in the north-west....''

1 Like

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by jpphilips(m): 6:07pm On Nov 22, 2012
Koolking: Guys, c'mon I still don't get why this extortion is allowed. Some say, it is illegal to buy in fuel in jerrican hence the fine. Is that realistic?

it is illegal in rivers state. Amaechi made it so, however, the cost of transportation has greatly soared so refill stations adjust their meter to make profit.

it might interest you to note that when a truck of product lands in PH,east or any southern part of the country, the dealer is already at a loss due to sundry charges.

if they opt to sell in kegs, you Will easily notice you are cheated cos the meter has been adjusted.

1 Like

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by 76Naira(m): 6:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
Fine the government first for not providing electricity.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by aieromon(m): 6:59pm On Nov 22, 2012
I normally fill up my 25L keg while buying fuel into the car and have never been charged this illegal fee.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by segunojas(m): 7:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
Attendance must eat now!Its not illegal
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by 299: 7:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
jp philips:

it is illegal in rivers state. Amaechi made it so, however, the cost of transportation has greatly soared so refill stations adjust their meter to make profit.

it might interest you to note that when a truck of product lands in PH,east or any southern part of the country, the dealer is already at a loss due to sundry charges.

if they opt to sell in kegs, you Will easily notice you are cheated cos the meter has been adjusted.
Thank you sir!!! In as much as the practice is illegal, i wonder how we expect the dealers to make any profit. As of today, PMS was sold at 98 naira a litre to dealers at the ph refinery. If someone wants to haulage that to ENUGU, he adds 5 naira transportation and another 1 naira for loading expenses making it 104/litre!!! Smh....this is a product that he is expected to sell at 97/litre. I dey laff!!!....mind you, all these are happening simply because the product is just not available. And DPR still wants to regulate and enforce laws How can you regulate what you don't have....Oil sector is the most corrupt sector in this country and hence the whole system needs to be cleansed starting from the petroleum ministry!!!
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 22, 2012
logo77:

@dabriggs: What is DPR doing about this issue?

Its not about the extra money the fuel attendent exort from us; its more about the culture of corruption and failure of the regulatory agencies in carrying-out their duties.

Regarding the Charge on Jerry Can, We advice that you stand your ground and if you are denied service or as some attendants will threaten to confiscate your jerry can with the fuel, then lay a formal complaint to the DPR. I have heard people make comments like they will rather part with the 50 or 100 naira than go through the "wahala" of making a formal complaint in Nigeria. However, I know the Lagos Zonal Office of DPR and I know we do not take issues of extortion or short changing of customers lightly.
Our worry in the H.S.E unit has been the safety concerns of selling into cans and containers to people. Especially during this period when demand goes up, harmattan comes in and scarcity of Kerosine leads to Unsafe Blending and sundry practises with PMS reducing the flash point and increasing likely hood of an explosion.

However, I am not saying charging an illegal fee will make it safe! Just stating a concern for us in the H.S.E unit of the Department.

But seeing the plight of Nigerians and the fact that there's proliferation of generators( and others like milling machines etc.), you can't stop people from buying in containers.
The attendants will also cite poor pay (15 to 20 thousand per month) for this trend.

But I know most station managers don't support this,so the attendants grudgingly allow you,the moment you resist and insist on seeing the manager/supervisor.

Infact My brother, Story plenty for Down Stream operations. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Jerry2i(m): 8:46pm On Nov 22, 2012
@daBriggs,i manage one of the major filling stations here in p.h.the problem at times comes from the customers,for e.g i ask my attendants not to sell in cans,so whenever i'm not around i get report that they sell n extort money from from customer,when i question them they will say that the customers usually try to bribe them so that they can buy in cans.So part of the blame should go to the customers.And also look @ the point raised by 299,that is part of the problem we are having now.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Royal2010(m): 9:45pm On Nov 22, 2012
I bought N2000 Naira worth of fuel into my Jerrycan at recently renovated Total service station in Ijora(the one under the bridge on your way to Apapa from Ijora Olopa) today.The attendant by name Lanre wanted me to pay N300 for the jerrycan after I had filled my car's thank.

I ask him why? He insisted that if i do not pay then he will not sell.So i told him that if he refuses to sell to me,then fire will fall,and no body will buy fuel again.When he saw that I was making noise,he had no choice than to sell.

The most annoying thing is that the manager of the station,a woman(that's what the people said)refused to do anything even when she came around and heard what we were saying.I am taking the case up with the Police tomorrow because this Lanre says he will set me up with Area boys,even though he cannot do anything to me,it is wise i report him.

I have the discussions taped on my Iphone,so he is in SOUP.The problem is the the useless people around were saying it is a normal thing to pay when you buy inside Jerrycan.YOU CAN SEE THAT THE MENTALITY OF AN AVERAGE NIGERIAN IS COMPLETELY DEPRIVED.

If everybody says no, then we will together win this fight. This is simply corruption.I fear for this country, because people refuse to speak against evil,i am referring to the over 20 people were around,either on OKada or those that cane to buy inside Jerrycan.

2 Likes

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by BLAND1(m): 10:22pm On Nov 22, 2012
buyn petro or any petroleum product is not a crime in naija not until the day dat nigerian govt provides a steady n constant supply of electricity coupled with availability n afordable petroleum products.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 12:26pm On Nov 23, 2012
Mynd_44:
Actually, it is illegal
For real? Pls throw light. I am ignorant of this this
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by DrMuzungu(m): 12:26pm On Nov 23, 2012
People buying it that way should be lined up and shot. People selling to them as well.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 12:29pm On Nov 23, 2012
cdamsel: bt its nt illegal 2 buy generators?mynd take ya time ohhhh,even wen storm happen 4 america den carry fuel 4 jerrycan,we already know watd fuel wld b used 4 so wats d deal?make person die where im dey suck fuel commot 4m car

Wat of person way no get car nkomake im no on gen again?

I wonder if I should be dragging my gen set to fuel station
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 12:35pm On Nov 23, 2012
ebamma 3: Na becos of 90 naira change make u come create topic for nairaland,u no sabi say naija na jungle na chop i chop,u cheat me i cheat another pesin then the anoda pesin go cheat another pesin,afterall boys must chop,nobody come lagos to count bridge all of us come to hustle

No offence intended sir. ^this is so crude a reasoning. Whatever happens to change is way too contradictory to your reasoning, the reason Nigeria is still in quagmire and seems no hope in the horizon. Let's be objective for once, how can we get out from here?
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 12:38pm On Nov 23, 2012
ebamma 3: Na becos of 90 naira change make u come create topic for nairaland,u no sabi say naija na jungle na chop i chop,u cheat me i cheat another pesin then the anoda pesin go cheat another pesin,afterall boys must chop,nobody come lagos to count bridge all of us come to hustle

Sir, we cannot continue with the jungle justice. I created this topic to be enlightened.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 12:41pm On Nov 23, 2012
cdamsel: @OP,I ve neva paid fine ohh,bt d 1 I know is when u go 2 nnpc mega station dey won't sell fuel 2 u in jerrycan

I still dey wonder d logic bhind d law

Oshe, cdamsel.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 12:45pm On Nov 23, 2012
Area_boy: Did you know, "JerryCan" means German can??

The Germans invented it just before ww2 and the allies(America/Britain) called Germans "Jerry".

Hence, Jerrycan smiley

There's a fun fact you didn't know tongue

Thank you. I never knew that until now
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 12:48pm On Nov 23, 2012
Lagusta: The funny thing is... Its not done in other parts of the country... Especially ilorin where I stay!!!

Plus... The NNPC mega station in ilorin (asa dam area) sells petrol in jerrycans, so what's so illegal about that

I believe ignorance, illiteracy and of course, inferiority imposed on us since the military era, are the cause of this...

It beats my imagination why this extortion is allowed unabated. I guess, it is approved by the regulatory agency or are they ignorant or just living in denial of this issue?
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 12:55pm On Nov 23, 2012
Darius2000: @ OP, i salute your courage and patience in opposing illegality in your little ways. That single act of noncooperation is better than 100, 000 hours of docile prayer for nigeria........Thanks..

Thanks for the encouragement. We are problem to ourselves in this part of the world. Not every ills should be blamed on govt highhandedness. In our little way, we can influence the govt. The rape is far too much. Prayers cannot save us, it is our proactive attitude that will bring the desired change.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 1:00pm On Nov 23, 2012
dabriggs: No there is no charge attracted when you buy fuel in a JerryCan.

Yes during one of the numerous scarcities, there was a directive that products should not be sold into such receptacles.
However it was cas specific and was because of the hoarding and the fact that black market activities boomed despite the scarcity.

However in recent times attendants have short changed customers all because they brought a jeryycan. If it gets bad insist on seeing the manager or supervisor. If it is a major marketer, threaten that you will report the said attendant at their corporate office (most attendants in Majors wear name tags).
I used to threaten them and have my way with my DPR I.D Card. At a time I got tired as I became recognised at Total and M.R.S Ojota. Most will just smile and say "oga anything for your boys".
I was shocked that in Port Harcourt, attendants can take as much as 100-200 naira for jerrycan charge. And they are bolder. But thanks to my DPR I.D.

Its the ordinary persons who suffer this and it is not fair.

It's that bad. I wish I could bring my experience to the notice of DPR if they are not aware. Any info on how to contact DPR?
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Zikdik(m): 2:40pm On Nov 23, 2012
Koolking:

It's a sad tale bro. The attendant was acting with impunity and audacity as if was his right. Why are we this docile and naive in this part of the world? The govt rapes the citizen, the citizens themselves are fleecing one another. When will the cycle of savageness ever ends?
It would end when GEJ pays attention to the ever-increasing of Garrolina. sad
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 7:40pm On Nov 23, 2012
Zikdik:
It would end when GEJ pays attention to the ever-increasing of Garrolina. sad

Will GEJ ever pay attention?

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015 Peugeot 508: Review, Specification & Price / Which Other SUV Will Be Good For Nigerian Roads / How Much Does It Really Cost To Ship A Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.