Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan (5853 Views)

How To Conserve Fuel In Your Car During This Fuel Scarcity / Car Users Please Note When Buying Fuel... / My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 11:20am On Nov 17, 2012
Hey folks, Please why do Fuel attendants charge N50 from customers buying fuel in Jerrican? Is there any law in Nigeria that forbid people from buying fuel in jerrican? Today, I had a confrontation with an attendant in one of the fuel stations at Ogba who refused to give me a balance of 90 from 30litres of fuel@97/per litre. I decided to be a gentleman and requested to see the management of the station for an explanation. I perceived fear among them when I entered one of the offices and met some men I assumed they were the managers. But when I tabled my displeasure and threatened to make case with the station, they denied being in management cadre, and with alacrity dialled one of their top guys for me to speak with. To shorten the story, the guy apologised for the embarrassing misunderstanding with the attendant and requested for my change to be given.

I was like, why are we Nigerians fond of extorting other Nigerians? We blame all the ills in Nigeria on govt, but we as the governed are not doing anything to protect other Nigerians from all these unmerited exploitations. I was dead shocked when an okada man in the station walked up to me and told me, ''bros, you are bigger than this''. I was like, wtf. I was not bothered about the balance, I only wanted a valid reason why I was fined for buying in jerrican.

What are your thoughts and experience guys. I was not aware of this practice. Any justification?

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by jhydebaba(m): 11:39am On Nov 17, 2012
This is 9ja, anything goes. I once stood up against such illegality but the time u'll waste plus the people who'll talk u down (d okada man for example)and the extra money u'll waste (phone calls, hospital treatment in the case of injury) will make u to leave them have there way.
Sincerely, the filling station attendants are seriously milking us dry, it is not a case of how much u even want to give them, it is a fixed price.
200 naira and below attacts 20naira
200 naira - 500 attracts 50naira
500naira - 1000 attracts between 70 and 100 and so on.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 1:39pm On Nov 17, 2012
jhydebaba: This is 9ja, anything goes. I once stood up against such illegality but the time u'll waste plus the people who'll talk u down (d okada man for example)and the extra money u'll waste (phone calls, hospital treatment in the case of injury) will make u to leave them have there way.
Sincerely, the filling station attendants are seriously milking us dry, it is not a case of how much u even want to give them, it is a fixed price.
200 naira and below attacts 20naira
200 naira - 500 attracts 50naira
500naira - 1000 attracts between 70 and 100 and so on.

It's a sad tale bro. The attendant was acting with impunity and audacity as if was his right. Why are we this docile and naive in this part of the world? The govt rapes the citizen, the citizens themselves are fleecing one another. When will the cycle of savageness ever ends?

2 Likes

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Koolking(m): 11:17am On Nov 21, 2012
Guys, c'mon I still don't get why this extortion is allowed. Some say, it is illegal to buy in fuel in jerrican hence the fine. Is that realistic?
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by pingo(m): 3:13pm On Nov 22, 2012
Cashless policy is the only way to control such rip-off, only if we buy and pay with Cards!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Iaz93: 3:15pm On Nov 22, 2012
It's not everywhere. .I've never experienced it ..
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by nlofficial(m): 3:16pm On Nov 22, 2012
It has been that way for more than a decade. Another problem is Nigerians are barely informed, hence this extortion is ignored.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Mynd44: 3:20pm On Nov 22, 2012
Koolking: Guys, c'mon I still don't get why this extortion is allowed. Some say, it is illegal to buy in fuel in jerrican hence the fine. Is that realistic?
Actually, it is illegal
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by cdamsel(f): 3:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
Mynd_44:
Actually, it is illegal
bt its nt illegal 2 buy generators?mynd take ya time ohhhh,even wen storm happen 4 america den carry fuel 4 jerrycan,we already know watd fuel wld b used 4 so wats d deal?make person die where im dey suck fuel commot 4m car

Wat of person way no get car nkomake im no on gen again?

2 Likes

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by salam001(m): 3:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
My area,it's N20 for 5litre kegs,and N50 for 5litres and Above,,them be thieves jare
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by ebamma3: 3:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
Na becos of 90 naira change make u come create topic for nairaland,u no sabi say naija na jungle na chop i chop,u cheat me i cheat another pesin then the anoda pesin go cheat another pesin,afterall boys must chop,nobody come lagos to count bridge all of us come to hustle

1 Like

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Mynd44: 3:28pm On Nov 22, 2012
cdamsel: bt its nt illegal 2 buy generators?mynd take ya time ohhhh,even wen storm happen 4 america den carry fuel 4 jerrycan,we already know watd fuel wld b used 4 so wats d deal?make person die where im dey suck fuel commot 4m car

Wat of person way no get car nkomake im no on gen again?
I am not saying they would arrest you for it or something and I don't support the filling stations(its extortion) I was just answering hie question.

There are approved filling cans for petrol
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by cdamsel(f): 3:31pm On Nov 22, 2012
@OP,I ve neva paid fine ohh,bt d 1 I know is when u go 2 nnpc mega station dey won't sell fuel 2 u in jerrycan

I still dey wonder d logic bhind d law
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by NEROSKY(m): 3:32pm On Nov 22, 2012
i only notice dat in lag, buh here in Enugu, no such! Am sure d litre is not complete, n it applies 2 d whole filling station in 9ja..D country is doomed!
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by cdamsel(f): 3:32pm On Nov 22, 2012
Mynd_44:
I am not saying they would arrest you for it or something and I don't support the filling stations(its extortion) I was just answering hie question.

There are approved filling cans for petrol
ok,u re on my side
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by ITbomb(m): 3:33pm On Nov 22, 2012
ebamma 3: Na becos of 90 naira change make u come create topic for nairaland,u no sabi say naija na jungle na chop i chop,u cheat me i cheat another pesin then the anoda pesin go cheat another pesin,afterall boys must chop,nobody come lagos to count bridge all of us come to hustle
This is exactly the problem of Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by charlsecy4(m): 3:34pm On Nov 22, 2012
ebamma 3: Na becos of 90 naira change make u come create topic for nairaland

You're definitely a greater problem!
That you are a fuel station boy doesn't mean you should condone corruption....
*Spits Saliva*

1 Like

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by otokx(m): 3:45pm On Nov 22, 2012
Where i buy in Port Harcourt its 110 per litre for jerrycan of any size but car is 97 per litre
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by otokx(m): 3:46pm On Nov 22, 2012
charlsecy4:

You're definitely a greater problem!
That you are a fuel station boy doesn't mean you should condone corruption....
*Spits Saliva*

He is not a fuel station boy
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by manny4life(m): 3:47pm On Nov 22, 2012
ebamma 3: Na becos of 90 naira change make u come create topic for nairaland,u no sabi say naija na jungle na chop i chop,u cheat me i cheat another pesin then the anoda pesin go cheat another pesin,afterall boys must chop,nobody come lagos to count bridge all of us come to hustle

No problem, next time I see you accuse GEJ or other corrupt persons again, I will tongue twist your mouth. angry angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Lagusta(m): 4:00pm On Nov 22, 2012
The funny thing is... Its not done in other parts of the country... Especially ilorin where I stay!!!

Plus... The NNPC mega station in ilorin (asa dam area) sells petrol in jerrycans, so what's so illegal about that

I believe ignorance, illiteracy and of course, inferiority imposed on us since the military era, are the cause of this...
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by MadCow1: 4:01pm On Nov 22, 2012
otokx: Where i buy in Port Harcourt its 110 per litre for jerrycan of any size but car is 97 per litre

That is very wrong and criminal.. If you have ever paid 110 for buying fuel in a jerrycan, then you have been aiding and abetting a crime. The official pump price of petroleum product remains 97 Naira per litre...

This is a paid message from PPMC. a subsidiary of NNPC.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by ayoola2002(m): 4:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
@OP, thank God that is just N90, in my area, they are selling N110/ltr and they have adjusted thier meter, which means if u buy 5ltrs in 4ltrs keg it will not full the keg of 4ltrs. I have try so many filling stations, all are the same except NNPC which thier meter is a little bit fair.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Areaboy2(m): 4:04pm On Nov 22, 2012
Did you know, "JerryCan" means German can??

The Germans invented it just before ww2 and the allies(America/Britain) called Germans "Jerry".

Hence, Jerrycan smiley

There's a fun fact you didn't know tongue

3 Likes

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Smallville4live(m): 4:08pm On Nov 22, 2012
I have experience it so many times when I go to buy fuel. Sometimes they even put fix price for the product. Making you to pay extra. After we blame the government for corruption when we are not helping matters.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 22, 2012
In my church area, oshodi, fuel is sold at 110 and they still charge for kegs.
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by mcevans1(m): 4:22pm On Nov 22, 2012
How do we contact agents to take care of these filling stations extorting money from customers illegally?
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Darius2000: 4:25pm On Nov 22, 2012
@ OP, i salute your courage and patience in opposing illegality in your little ways. That single act of noncooperation is better than 100, 000 hours of docile prayer for nigeria........Thanks..

2 Likes

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by MadCow1: 4:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
Area_boy: Did you know, "JerryCan" means German can??

The Germans invented it just before ww2 and the allies(America/Britain) called Germans "Jerry".

Hence, Jerrycan smiley

There's a fun fact you didn't know tongue

You have earned this [img]http://thechive.files./2010/06/1267053424_lotionpunch.gif?w=280&h=156[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by xrazzy(m): 4:33pm On Nov 22, 2012
wetin concern me? #dancing alingo#
Re: Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 22, 2012
No there is no charge attracted when you buy fuel in a JerryCan.

Yes during one of the numerous scarcities, there was a directive that products should not be sold into such receptacles.
However it was cas specific and was because of the hoarding and the fact that black market activities boomed despite the scarcity.

However in recent times attendants have short changed customers all because they brought a jeryycan. If it gets bad insist on seeing the manager or supervisor. If it is a major marketer, threaten that you will report the said attendant at their corporate office (most attendants in Majors wear name tags).
I used to threaten them and have my way with my DPR I.D Card. At a time I got tired as I became recognised at Total and M.R.S Ojota. Most will just smile and say "oga anything for your boys".
I was shocked that in Port Harcourt, attendants can take as much as 100-200 naira for jerrycan charge. And they are bolder. But thanks to my DPR I.D.

Its the ordinary persons who suffer this and it is not fair.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please I Want To Know The Type Of Transmission Oil For Lexus Es350 / Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day / Hyundai Car Owners To Enjoy Free Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.