Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? (5369 Views)

How To Start Your Company With N10,000 Or More And Earn 5 Figure Earning Monthly / Great Job Choices For Women For 2013 / Pls Can I Work In Telecom Or Oil Company With Bsc In Mathematics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 19, 2012
I think the only reason you are asking this question is because you have options. In a country like Naija where jobs are hard to come by, you just go with the one you get.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by ektbear: 2:03am On Nov 20, 2012
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I received a formal offer today with the actual numerical amount. Which exceeded my expectations. I did some research on salary sites and wasn't able to find much paying better.

So, at this point I'm leaning towards just accepting.

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by obowunmi(m): 2:09am On Nov 20, 2012
Accept. Enjoy. Goodluck.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Nobody: 4:04am On Nov 20, 2012
I would stick with company A for 18 months -2 yrs (a safe bet for most employers) then use that opportunity to build a good resume for your next move. I did the same and i haven't regretted it one day.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by ektbear: 6:12am On Nov 20, 2012
I don't think employers care if you left your previous employer early. Especially in tech stuff, there is no real loyalty...people jump ship all the time.

But I think if I were to accept this job and then leave, it would probably to pursue something in quantitative finance, since the gap in salary is enough to justify the inconvenience.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Nobody: 6:28am On Nov 20, 2012
ekt_bear: I don't think employers care if you left your previous employer early. Especially in tech stuff, there is no real loyalty...people jump ship all the time.

But I think if I were to accept this job and then leave, it would probably to pursue something in quantitative finance, since the gap in salary is enough to justify the inconvenience.

they dont care only if you are extremely good and they are desperate to get you. Most serious employers will ask you why you left your previous employer. Better be ready for a good answer there.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by ektbear: 6:35am On Nov 20, 2012
I guess it varies from industry to industry. But in tech, people leave all the time (for better salary/benefits/location/etc).
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Nobody: 6:37am On Nov 20, 2012
ekt_bear: I guess it varies from industry to industry. But in tech, people leave all the time (for better salary/benefits/location/etc).

i didnt say people dont leave all the time... read my response again. I said be ready to answer that question at subsequent interviews because it will def come up unless the company deliberately went to get you.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by ektbear: 6:44am On Nov 20, 2012
It is an easy question to answer. "While I enjoy working at Company X, I feel that the role at your company is a better fit for my interests....."

Random bullcrap like that.

If you have a good resume and do well on their interviews, companies don't care

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by thorpiano: 10:27am On Nov 20, 2012
If the company is paying well,i will work there because it is not for long that the company brand will blossom. smiley
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by elbulk(m): 6:48pm On Nov 20, 2012
Sammy107_d: My point is that you're unlikely to last more than a year on your first job. Consequently, your primary thinking should be how you'll be positioned for your next job. Think long-term. Entry-level pay cannot diverge that radically. You're young, and location should be a non-issue. Long-term bro. A 6month stint as 'debugger' (whatever that is) at Facebook Inc. on your cv will position you better than a year as an 'Interface developer' at freakin' Myspace inc. What's your business with financial position. Leave that for wall street analysts.

Not totally right with ur analogy cos its same effort it takes 2 program on my space it takes for facebook plus no 1 is talkin abt relevance...if A is down hw relevant can u be in bringin back dis product?its nt jst name its wat u learn,wat if u go 2 d so called popular co and ure nt so useful jst 1 of d oda staff
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Sammy107d(m): 8:56pm On Nov 20, 2012
elbulk:

Not totally right with ur analogy cos its same effort it takes 2 program on my space it takes for facebook plus no 1 is talkin abt relevance...if A is down hw relevant can u be in bringin back dis product?its nt jst name its wat u learn,wat if u go 2 d so called popular co and ure nt so useful jst 1 of d oda staff

To me, everything you just said is relevant for someone in the mid-range of his career. What's a fresh grad doing trying to resuscitate a brand? Besides, people are quick to downplay the depth of experience gathered at popular brands. In fact, human resource utilization is probably more optimal in these companies.

I'm of the opinion that although a fresh accounting grad might gather more learnings and experience at Sammy and Co LLP accounting firm, possibly with more pay and serious perquisites, he's better off with Ernst and Young FRESH after college. Go to sammy and co after. There's a reason that brand is a requirement for many job openings. You see things like 'big four experience is an advantage...' '2:1 with related experience in a 'reputable' multinational (emphasis on 'reputable'). Trust me, an interviewer for any e-commerce venture is more likely to recruit someone who's been doing, say, product development at amazon.com than some other guy who was instrumental to transforming a 50 orders/day sammybee.com (whose co-founder was indicted for fraud three years ago) auction site to a 200 orders/ day auction site in 3 months. 300% increase single-handedly, but all the interviewer will see is Amazon Amazon Amazon (maybe later brag in his brochure that he has ex amazon employees or boast to his friends at the beer parlour that he poached an amazon employee..)

OP is smart. I'm sure he won't choose an offer from a gutter drenched brand over a solid, well-known brand. How else will the rubbish brand attract talent if they don't offer blinding salary figures.. Only accept such an offer if it's the only one you're holding in your hand or if you place high premium on things like personal time and location. If his personal time is really dear to him, then he'll be justified to take the job with better hours. All about individual values.

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by ektbear: 4:51am On Nov 25, 2012
I had a conversation about this with my mom and some other family members.

And realized that basically I was being a little bit of a b1tch about things.

Who on earth complains about getting a first job that pays a good salary?

Also, driving into a major city last night for an event, I saw a very big billboard for this company. I'm probably just underrating their prestige a bit.

Long story short, there are more important things I should be worrying about in life.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by birdman(m): 7:20am On Nov 25, 2012
ekt_bear: I had a conversation about this with my mom and some other family members.

And realized that basically I was being a little bit of a b1tch about things.

Who on earth complains about getting a first job that pays $lol/year in salary?

Also, driving into a major city last night for an event, I saw a very big billboard for this company. I'm probably just underrating their prestige a bit.

Long story short, there are more important things I should be worrying about in life.

this is a mature way of looking at things. Congrats...btw, I wouldnt publish salary details online. You never know how it can come back to bite you.

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by ektbear: 7:27am On Nov 25, 2012
Hmm. I figured since this forum is pretty much anonymous and there is only one NLer I know in real life, there is no risk. But perhaps you are correct. I'll follow your suggestion.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by 2sexy(m): 12:42pm On Nov 25, 2012
Congrat to you! I'm glad you got a good conversation with your mum.

I am a fresh grad and honestly, I don't about the pay for now, but the experience.

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Sammy107d(m): 12:53pm On Nov 25, 2012
Brilliant. Enjoy the experience and dont get too comfortable. Learn and study like you've never done before. You can find yourself learning more in 3months than u did in your entire final year! Congtatulations
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by captalex(m): 9:11pm On Nov 25, 2012
In a similar but slightly different position,
Just completed my NYSC and successfully applied for a job in a multinational,my only fear is that would i be able to learn as much as i would want during my stay here against working with a 'local' company that doesn't pay much but you get to work you bum off and in turn learn stuff, or would i become lax and rely on the fact that i'm currently with a 'BIG' brand and be rest assured that future employment wouldn't be a problem.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Sammy107d(m): 11:07pm On Nov 25, 2012
captalex: In a similar but slightly different position,
Just completed my NYSC and successfully applied for a job in a multinational,my only fear is that would i be able to learn as much as i would want during my stay here against working with a 'local' company that doesn't pay much but you get to work you bum off and in turn learn stuff, or would i become lax and rely on the fact that i'm currently with a 'BIG' brand and be rest assured that future employment wouldn't be a problem.

You're in a different 'situation' and you're giving yourself highly unnecessary headache.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by ektbear: 11:03am On Dec 05, 2012
Update: so I've been contacted by 3 additional companies this week for interviews, after already accepting the offer from Company A angry

Wtf is up with these goddamn b1tch companies. I submitted my resume to these companies several months ago, and they finally get back in touch with me months later, after I've already accepted an offer

One of them is a big name wall street firm...I had to take an exam with them in September. Never heard back so I assumed I didn't do well enough on it to get interviewed.

These people tire me sha

It is like a girl approaching you after you've already been engaged or something
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by obowunmi(m): 12:15pm On Dec 05, 2012
Good problem to have bro.

When I graduated with my first degree, I had this issue as well. Mine went like this: I applied to many companies.... My third choice got back to me with good package. I accepted, after 6 weeks on the job, my first choice reach out to me, I quit that job to run to the first choice. After I accepted the first choice, then they put me on hold again for another 3 months. I was pissed off, annoyed, and upset. I started the job search over again: I found something relatively quickly. After 3 months on the new job, first job came back with a higher salary package and wanted me to start with immediate effect. I never answered or responded. They called and called, emailed, wrote letters, and sent a HR Recruiter to speak with me. I wasn't going back.

I'm glad things happened the way they did. I wouldn't be an expert in my field today if I hadn't stayed with the second job. That job prepared me for so much. Crazy clients, lazy employees, and how to be a good leader no matter the level or position I find myself.

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by ekubear1: 5:33am On Jun 06, 2013
So it looks increasingly likely I'll be leaving my job soon. Got an offer from another firm offering $30k more money in salary. And my current company is not moving quickly enough to match/exceed the offer.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Sammy107d(m): 9:24am On Jun 06, 2013
eku_bear: So it looks increasingly likely I'll be leaving my job soon. Got an offer from another firm offering $30k more money in salary. And my current company is not moving quickly enough to match/exceed the offer.

After a while, it makes sense to chase the money bro wink
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by ekubear1: 6:54am On Jun 08, 2013
I offically gave my company two weeks notice today sad

I feel so sad cry cry cry
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by mastiphal25: 8:18am On Jun 08, 2013
Remember: End of something is always a start of something else. Good luck!
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by obowunmi(m): 12:27pm On Jun 08, 2013
Best wishes....go make some money.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Best Prince2 Certification Training In Nigeria / What SHELL Internship Is All About / Ican May 2018 Diet (lets Meet Here)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.